IGNORED

Best And Worst City Managers...

Loderingo

I rate them as follows:

1) Alan Dicks - Led us to 4 years in the promised land

2) Gary Johnson - Got us promotion in his first full season. Needs to carry on the good work to overhaul Dicks legacy.

3) John Ward - Got us promoted to the 2nd tier. Possibly out of his depth at the next level up but we had started the season OK when he left.

4) Jordan Jordan - Brilliant in his first spell, mediocre in his second. Reached League cup semi final

5) Terry Cooper - Turned the corner following the disastrous Ashton Gate 8 saga

6) Danny Wilson - Built an attractive passing side but ultimately failed to take us up

7) Jimmy Lumsden - kept us after Jordan left but got sacked the following season

8) Denis Smith - kept us after Lumsden left but got sacked the following season

9) Brian Tinnion - a nice guy but out of his depth

10) Tony Pulis - Boring, negative football. Hated at the Gate.

11) Russell Osman - boring football, struggling when we he was sacked BUT did oversee the Liverpool win.

12)Benny Lennartson - A bit of a joke. Out of his depth. Got us relegated.

13) Roy Hodgson - Oversaw 2 relagtions as manager and assistant with Bob Houghton

14) Bob Houghton - witnessed 2 relegations

I haven't included Fawthrop as he didn't actually oversee any matches.

Your thoughts?

Tony Pulis worst manager bar none.

He was the worst manager in the club history.

A bit un fair with Benny Lanarstson we played some good football under him and the man had no luck what so ever.

How could you put Gj at two, we won promotion under with Jordan and Ward from this division, I'm sure if Jordan never left us and went to Hearts he could have took that team to the top flight, in our 1st season after winning promotion with Jordan, Jimmy Lumsdan team just missed out on the play offs.

Would also like to mention Terry Copper a City Legend, he guided us through some of us darkest days.

He brought the smile back to the fans faces, a promotion and took the club to their first ever trip to Wembley. His contribution to the club can never be under estimated.

as of 1996. I rate them as follows:

1) Gary Johnson - In my short time supporting City, One Man One Legend (10-10)

2) Danny Wilson - very unfortunate circumstances, i agree he played good football and let me enjoy going to city. (8-10)

3) John Ward - witnessed my first promotion under him so i respect that. Very nice man. (7-10)

4) Brian Tinnion - favourite ever player. sad to see him fail as a manager. (4-10)

5) Keith Millen - 3:1 defeat at notts forest and 1:1 draw at home to a bad Blackpool side. oh-dear (2-10)

Hard to compare really. GJ has had a decent 18 Months at 1st Division level. If he does well in the Championship he will rate highly, fail and he moves down. Ward had problems with Davison, and had he stayed, opinion is divided regarding survival. Personally I think we'd have been OK, but then, I liked the guy. Benny had good man-management but was tactically clueless and played players out of position far too often. Dicks did an amazing job in getting us to the top Division, but stayed too loyal to those players and bought oldies, so we never progressed as a Club. I always rated Wilson, but he was too cautious in his last season. Unfair on Hodgson, he inherited a mess and was not given a chance. Osman was trying to manage at Championship level with no cash, and did remarkably well with limited resources, although it could be deadly dull to watch.

My vote-

Cooper - Took over at a bad time, built a side that always entertained, and was a genuinely nice guy. Oh yes, and he bought Alan Walsh.

Worst - Can't decide between the useless and dull Houghton or the useless and dull Pulis. It probably goes to Pulis as he wasted heaps of cash on rubbish players, at least Houghton bought Moller and Harford (Not that we could afford them!)

And don't forget 'The Gang of Three', they did a great job in stabilising the Club after Pulis went.

Best Manager - Alan Dicks - got us to the top flight on a budget and kept us there for a little while

Worst - Brian Tinnion - out of his depth and tried to get Millen to carry the can

Most unpopular - Tony Clueless - worst footballing experience since I have supported City (and I include 1982 in that)

Most popular - Terry Cooper - sent the team out to play proper football and had time for the fans

Best Manager - Alan Dicks - got us to the top flight on a budget and kept us there for a little while

Worst - Brian Tinnion - out of his depth and tried to get Millen to carry the can

Most unpopular - Tony Clueless - worst footballing experience since I have supported City (and I include 1982 in that)

Most popular - Terry Cooper - sent the team out to play proper football and had time for the fans

:englandsmile4wf: Brian did what?what a load of B######S :englandsmile4wf:

:englandsmile4wf: Brian did what?what a load of B######S :englandsmile4wf:

I was thinking of the Chesterfield home game on Sky. Listen to the post match interview again regarding substitutions. And I was also thinking of his comment about taking the job and being given the Youth Team coach to work with. Hasn't done Gary Johnson much harm.

Best:

1. Joe Jordan.(both times- he left Ward the team to get promoted.)

2. GJ.

3 Cooperman.

Worst:

1. Benny.(For the Bratfurd battering, he makes no 1 over the

2. Clueless.

3. Wonderson.(For that last bloody awful season)

4. Smith.

5. Ward.(for the toys out of the pram in League 1.

I rate them as follows:

2) Gary Johnson - Got us promotion in his first full season. Needs to carry on the good work to overhaul Dicks legacy.

3) John Ward - Got us promoted to the 2nd tier. Possibly out of his depth at the next level up but we had started the season OK when he left.

4) Jordan Jordan - Brilliant in his first spell, mediocre in his second. Reached League cup semi final

6) Danny Wilson - Built an attractive passing side but ultimately failed to take us up

7) Jimmy Lumsden - kept us after Jordan left but got sacked the following season

11) Russell Osman - boring football, struggling when we he was sacked BUT did oversee the Liverpool win.

13) Roy Hodgson - Oversaw 2 relagtions as manager and assistant with Bob Houghton

Your thoughts?

harsh on Benny, good manager and played some very good football in the end, the players were to blame for that relegation

very harsh on Osman, Boring, negative football without a doubt, but kept us in Division 1 when he had zero money to play with, after the board take over, prior to that he signed a few quality players with a Andy Cole cash, such as Tinnion and Shail

Worst Manager of the lot was Pulis without a doubt, started with an excellent squad, left shortly after with the club in an utter mess!

I don't at the moment see how it's possible to properly distinguish Ward and GJ, as both got us auto promotion in their 1st full seasons. Ok, GJ had to turn around a side that was near bottom, but coming back from a playoff semi defeat can be difficult also. Obviously we will see next season if GJ can improve on Ward - to be honest he couldn't do any worse than Wardy in the 2nd tier could he!!

as of 1996. I rate them as follows:

1) Gary Johnson - In my short time supporting City, One Man One Legend (10-10)

2) Danny Wilson - very unfortunate circumstances, i agree he played good football and let me enjoy going to city. (8-10)

3) John Ward - witnessed my first promotion under him so i respect that. Very nice man. (7-10)

4) Brian Tinnion - favourite ever player. sad to see him fail as a manager. (4-10)

5) Keith Millen - 3:1 defeat at notts forest and 1:1 draw at home to a bad Blackpool side. oh-dear (2-10)

I'd disagree, to pick the players up with no managerial experience after a 7-1 thrashing and to play fairly decent football against a Blackpool side we were outplayed by the previous season wasn't bad. The 3-1 defeat to Notts Forest was partly down to Jamie Smith giving away a penalty, was it not?

Was Millen not also the only manager to see Steven Gillespie score a first-team goal for us?

Best manager - TC, he got us out of the poo with no money, backs to the walls and brought through home grown talent who were good enough to compete.
Not that much home-produced talent - Newman, Stevens, Llewellyn, Musker... Gary Williams who was released and had a good career with Oldham, Hooper who left for Wrexham due to a c-up with registration, I suppose Howard Pritchard sort of counts. Steve Thompson, Bray and Economou did not last long, Paines, Palmer, Withey and Williams were a bit below par!

Who have I missed?

I rate them as follows:

Your thoughts?

Terry Cooper should be far higher.

Took over with nothing, and turned a bunch of young talented kids into a top six third division side, and an impressive transfer record. The likes of Riley, Neville, Pritchard, Walsh and Crawford to name just a few. He also stood up to be counted when things were down. He faced the press, backed his team, stood tall, stood proud and regrouped the club and fans as one, after a disastrous 7-1 defeat away at Northampton Town.

Unlike your choice at number 9!! I'm afraid there is no sympathy for a man who desserts HIS team for the "safety" of an empty dug out. Osman was s**t, but at least we were organised s**t.

Ward couldn't cope at the higher level, decent lower league manager.

Benny divides opinion doesn't he? I though he was decent as he proved at other clubs though didn't really get the chance with us.

Good

Alan Dicks - built a great and stable team with relative unknowns (sound familiar?) and took us to the top. Finances are the fault of the board, not the manager.

Terry Cooper - brought respect back to a club on its knees.

Gary Johnson - building a great and stable team with relative unknowns (see above)

John Ward - not all his own fault but some spectacularly bad buys and inability to turn them into a team in the Champiosnhip

Joe Jordan - good old-fashioned manager

OK

Danny Wilson - steady Eddie. Pass it around, win more than you lose. Brought stability but couldn't move us on.

Benny Lennartson - brought in for his ability to develop youth players into a winning team. Not given time to do this and we should have kept him.

Goodbye

Jimmy Lumsden - Bob Taylor past it???? Steady Timothy.

Brian Tinnion - couldn't stop being one of the lads. Lack of discipline and drink culture. Remains playing legend.

Tony Pulis - best players out of the door replaced by middle-aged journeymen. Hated the fans and it was reciprocated.

Russell Osman - boring, boring 0-0 draws. There is more to football than defending.

Don't know to be honest

Roy Hodgson

Bob Houghton

Denis Smith

Benny divides opinion doesn't he? I though he was decent as he proved at other clubs though didn't really get the chance with us.

Good

Alan Dicks - built a great and stable team with relative unknowns (sound familiar?) and took us to the top. Finances are the fault of the board, not the manager.

Gary Johnson - building a great and stable team with relative unknowns (see above)

John Ward - not all his own fault but some spectacularly bad buys and inability to turn them into a team in the Champiosnhip

OK

Danny Wilson - steady Eddie. Pass it around, win more than you lose. Brought stability but couldn't move us on.

Benny Lennartson - brought in for his ability to develop youth players into a winning team. Not given time to do this and we should have kept him.

Goodbye

Brian Tinnion - couldn't stop being one of the lads. Lack of discipline and drink culture. Remains playing legend.

Tony Pulis - best players out of the door replaced by middle-aged journeymen. Hated the fans and it was reciprocated.

Russell Osman - boring, boring 0-0 draws. There is more to football than defending.

Don't know to be honest

Roy Hodgson

Bob Houghton

Denis Smith

I think Jordan deserves 2 separate entries - excellent first time, s***e second time.

Unfortunately, managers get remembered mainly for how things were when they left. As far as I recall, Lumsden took us to our highest league finish since 1980 (not very far away from the play-offs), and Osman was in charge when we beat Liverpool at Anfield. But then things got worse, very much worse, for both of them.

Was it Denis Smith who signed Andy Cole? And did he sign Jacki as well?? Whoever was responsible for these signings deserves a high ranking just for bringing players of that quality to the club.

Jordan pretty much built Ward's promotion side the second time he was here. I don't think he did badly, he just ran out of time because everyone had great expectations.

The problem with Benny wasn't his ability, it was Scott Davidson's mishandling of the situation and poor timing.

We should have appointed Benny as DoF in the summer with Ward's backing. That way we could have acted sooner than we did during that terrible run.

We shouldn't have appointed him just after winning what looked like a turnaround game on Sky in such a way that Ward threw his toys out of his pram and quit.

Benny did some good things here, notably bringing on younger players well and helping setup the academy and we'd have been better off sticking with him even though we got relegated IMO.

The best, in my opinion, was Terry Cooper. Worked wonders in difficult circumstances, took us out of Div. 4 and to Wembley, and all on a shoestring budget. Got us Glyn Riley & Bobby Hutchinson for nowt and Alan Walsh for £18'000. Plus, we played great, attractive football. I remember as kid going down the Gate under Terry, thinking we we're never going to lose.

Worst, by a country mile, Brian Tinnion. Totally out of his depth and for such a gifted player, tactically unaware. Legend as a player, Bell-end as a manager

I rate them as follows:

Your thoughts?

some of the Osman bashing is over the top. Not great football but our 2nd highest league position in 20+ years?

• Admin

Good

OK

Goodbye

Don't know to be honest

Roy Hodgson

Bob Houghton

Denis Smith

I can't imagine what Lumsden was thinking, selling Bob Taylor on the cheap must rate as one of, if not the, worst managerial decisions in the past 30 years. He should be remembered and vilified for that.

Pretty much agree with your take on it, except Ward, he took up Jordans team and couldn't cope, he's been an excellent No2 at various clubs, but hasn't really cut it as a No1, so he'd be in the goodbye section for me.

Archived