IGNORED

Best And Worst City Managers...

Loderingo

Dicks was both one of our best and worst managers. He worked wonders when he took us to the top flight, but he stayed too long-he should have moved on two years before he got fired. Houghton gets a raw deal, in my opinion, because by the time he got here we were already broke (the long term contracts of the Ashton Gate 8-and others who we were able to sell).

Clueliss is without doubt the biggest muppett we have had as a manager. Will always remember and appreciate the job Terry Cooper did for us-top bloke too

All this Osman bashing is way over the top, he was given no money to spend and yet managed to pick up Mark Shail for next to nothing and turn him and Matty Bryant into a rock solid defence. And although he did sign us Liam Robinson and Ian Baird amongst others he did consolidate us at Championship level and during the messy takeover before the reform group or whatever they called themselves panicked and appointed Joe Jordan who promptly got us relegated. And he did beat Liverpool!

The worst by far was Lumbsden.He was always a no 2. Never had the qualities to be a manager.Good job he didn't stay longer.

Best?..Hmmmm... Not much to chose between Dicks and Cooper.

Benny wasn't at the club enough to judge him.Less than a whole season.Same applies to Johnson.Not yet been at AG long enough to form a balanced opinion.

Pretty much agree with your take on it, except Ward, he took up Jordans team and couldn't cope, he's been an excellent No2 at various clubs, but hasn't really cut it as a No1, so he'd be in the goodbye section for me.

Harsh. The day Jordan left it became Wards team.

He could not cope with an interfering Chairman who may or may not have been buying players behind his back and wanted to bring in an 'assistant' who appeared to have more say than JW.

At the start of our 1st Division season, both Shail and Taylor were injured.

Cheltenham? A remendous achievement in getting them up and even better keeping them up.

Not saying he was perfect, but he got us into the play-offs, then promoted, and at the time of leaving, we were not in a relegation position. Hardly in the 'worst' class.

Jordan pretty much built Ward's promotion side the second time he was here. I don't think he did badly, he just ran out of time because everyone had great expectations.

The problem with Benny wasn't his ability, it was Scott Davidson's mishandling of the situation and poor timing.

We should have appointed Benny as DoF in the summer with Ward's backing. That way we could have acted sooner than we did during that terrible run.

We shouldn't have appointed him just after winning what looked like a turnaround game on Sky in such a way that Ward threw his toys out of his pram and quit.

Benny did some good things here, notably bringing on younger players well and helping setup the academy and we'd have been better off sticking with him even though we got relegated IMO.

I agree with that. What most people forget about Benny is that he was a 'coach' and not a 'manager'. He was thrown in at the deep end when Ward left and it always was going to be mission impossible to stay up.

I personallly credit Benny with the alot of the local lads who came through in recent years. He turned Jim Brennan into a million pound player almost overnight and gave kids like Matt Hill, Phillips and a few others valuable Championship experience that served the club for the best part of 10 years. He should definately have stayed on as DoF or Academy Director to nurture more youngsters IMHO.

I rate them as follows:

13) Roy Hodgson - Oversaw 2 relagtions as manager and assistant with Bob Houghton

14) Bob Houghton - witnessed 2 relegations

I haven't included Fawthrop as he didn't actually oversee any matches.

Your thoughts?

Hodgson had been sacked by the time we got relegated to Div 4. Gerry Sharpe had a spell as manager until Cooper was appointed. To be fair to Hodgson, he didn't have a chance with situation we were in ie the Ashton 8 affair and financial collapse.

Houghton left mid-season of 81-82 so was not around for the relegation to div 4.

I thought flip-flop was in charge for the Preston match on the last day of the season.

The worst by far was Lumbsden.He was always a no 2. Never had the qualities to be a manager.Good job he didn't stay longer.

Best?..Hmmmm... Not much to chose between Dicks and Cooper.

Benny wasn't at the club enough to judge him.Less than a whole season.Same applies to Johnson.Not yet been at AG long enough to form a balanced opinion.

Wrong, and wrong again Robbored.

The worst by far has to be Tinnion. Unlike Lumsden, he wasn't even a number two, (Although perhaps he was, depending on what sort of number 2 you're on about!!) Took a top 3 side and turned us into relegation probabilities in less than 18 months. A feat that even Pulis couldn't achieve.

Dicks and Cooper, both should be in top three, but for quality of football, it has to be Joe Jordan, during his first spell. Even after his second spell, Ward inherited the basis of a promotion team and took the plaudits.

Benny was let down early doors by the senior, experienced professionals within the team. 5-0 at Bradford and 1-6 at home to Wolves in his first two games, and the writing was on the wall. Footballers protecting their comfort zone. A good coach at the wrong time.

As for Johnson, well too early to form balanced opinion? Weren't you of the opinion that Johnson was no more than a bully and a conference manager?

best : Terry Cooper , GJ , John Ward :clap:

worst : Pullis by a country mile (god they were hard games to watch) :nono:

lots of managers have done some good and some bad, but my 3 favs are above.

felt sorry for Tinnion after what he did for us as a player, and maybe should have had help from an old head

Benny seemed to have little - no idea of the english game (his "winning" baseball caps are collectors items)

one question : Is Tony Fawthrop still our shortest "serving" manager ??

:devil::devil::devil:

I was looking at Soccerbase to check a few of the Benny myths, and there are some interesting stats-

Bo Anderson scored 10 in 11 games, and 1 in 0 appearances in the League Cup, not bad for a keeper.

Soren Anderson failed to score.

Regardless, Bennys League record speaks for itself-

Won - 5

Draw - 9

Lost - 16

24 Points out of a possible 90

Nice guy, but no amount of spin can really make him anything other than a disaster.

Pulis was the worst by far but never lost a league match at Ashton Gate, just had seven 0-0 and five 1-1 draws in his 16 games instead.

At the start of the next season Danny Wilson was seen as a breath of fresh air despite losing the first 3 home games.

Can't believe no-one has mentioned Harry Thickett (May 1905 - October 1910) - the only manager to take us to the FA Cup Final :disapointed2se:

He led us to the second division championship in his first full season in charge (1905/06) with Man Utd having to settle for runners up.

Following season (1906/07) in the First Division we finished second behind Newcastle United.

1907/08 - 10th in Division One.

1908/09 - 8th in Division One & FA Cup Finalists.

1909/10 - 16th in Division One

Surely the greatest City Manager ever?

Can't believe no-one has mentioned Harry Thickett (May 1905 - October 1910) - the only manager to take us to the FA Cup Final :disapointed2se:

He led us to the second division championship in his first full season in charge (1905/06) with Man Utd having to settle for runners up.

Following season (1906/07) in the First Division we finished second behind Newcastle United.

1907/08 - 10th in Division One.

1908/09 - 8th in Division One & FA Cup Finalists.

1909/10 - 16th in Division One

Surely the greatest City Manager ever?

Sir Colby, it's your Cotham Grammar School education cutting in once more and it shows. Learning all those historical dates by rote has set your mind up for remembering the dates that really matter - as you've rightly listed above. :clapping:

The greatest manager Bristol and the West has ever seen - Harry Thickett without doubt. :superman:

A distant second would be Alan Dicks. :icecream:

pullis, worst by a country mile.

tinnion=2nd

ward, well, brought in the right players in his first full season, then the 2nd, a right balls up, julian watts and carl hutchins to go with 3 strikers who all done there bit for city, including thorpe.

most underated was benny, ask the players who played under him, even after he had gone they sang his praises, we were awfull until ward left, the rebuilding started and eventualy we got there, the damage was done early on in the season.

gj, got to have respect, this bloke took us up in the 1st full season and nearly got us in the play-offs from being rock bottom.

gj, got to have respect, this bloke took us up in the 1st full season and nearly got us in the play-offs from being rock bottom.

In case anybody's not read it have a look at the following thread in OTIB classics:

Gary Johnson - Conference Manager

At the time there was a lot of discontent so some of the criticism was justified; but with the benefit of hindsight it is a hilarious read.

eh? but Johnson has been here for over 18month, turning a team looking towards league 2, into a championship side! Johnson has been here more than long enough to form a decent opinion of him and it's very much a case of EXCELLENT WORK SO FAR!

however some just refuse to let it lie, perhaps if he had got us back to back promotions by now and we were looking towards a season in the prem, you may be happier

Sir Colby, it's your Cotham Grammar School education cutting in once more and it shows. Learning all those historical dates by rote has set your mind up for remembering the dates that really matter - as you've rightly listed above. :clapping:

The greatest manager Bristol and the West has ever seen - Harry Thickett without doubt. :superman:

A distant second would be Alan Dicks. :icecream:

Unfortunately my CGS education didn't help me when it came to reading the title of the thread .. last 30 years; Alan Dicks.

Unfortunately my CGS education didn't help me when it came to reading the title of the thread .. last 30 years; Alan Dicks.

Indeed, Alan Dicks was the best manager in the last 30 years but Harry Thickett was the best BCFC manager overall. :winner_third_h4h:

you usually hear Arsenal Fans talking about how great Herbert Chapman was in the 1930's and Stan Cullis at Wolves in the 1950's.

why not Harry Thickett. Looking at wikipedia, he did win the FA Cup, But with Sheffield United. How no-one knew that was beyond me.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harry_Thickett

screw cloughie, Thickett the greatest manager England never had :chant6ez:

you usually hear Arsenal Fans talking about how great Herbert Chapman was in the 1930's and Stan Cullis at Wolves in the 1950's.

why not Harry Thickett. Looking at wikipedia, he did win the FA Cup, But with Sheffield United. How no-one knew that was beyond me.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harry_Thickett

screw cloughie, Thickett the greatest manager England never had :chant6ez:

Harry Thickett City Stats:

Played 222

Won 99

Lost 68

Drew 55

Not bad!

Archived