IGNORED

Cole Skuse Off (merged)

I have to agree xerox.

Cole Skuse is a very good player and worth more than a million as far as I'm concerned.

He will show his worth in the championship, and prove to be our best midfielder.

Saying that GJ is really needing a top class striker, and the million plus what ever more money SL allows him, could see us buying a proven strilker probably more than 1.5 million.

We,ll all have to wait and see...........

i work with a kiddie and he had a fone call off his old man saying he just spoke to cole's dad and he may be signing, but he'd like to stay, it may not be him who has the final say in it though, if the offer is right for the club

The thing is, as sad as it is, Skusey is dispensible; we have a good set of midfield players who could probably cope at least until January whereas up front we all accept strengthening is needed.

By shuffling the deck and moving Coley on we can up the ante for those players GJ is targeting. Could this also up the chance of that Sun rumour about Kris Commons?

I would have thought, if the rumours are to be believed, that City are holding out for something in excess of 1 million. Maybe 1.2-1.5 with add ons and they will let him go.

i work with a kiddie and he had a fone call off his old man saying he just spoke to cole's dad and he may be signing, but he'd like to stay, it may not be him who has the final say in it though, if the offer is right for the club

Club cant lose really.

Cole stays, a class act in midfield, Cole goes, top class striker comes in!!!!

And no excuses that the club cant afford i hope?

Club cant lose really.

Cole stays, a class act in midfield, Cole goes, top class striker comes in!!!!

And no excuses that the club cant afford i hope?

I know this will seem ridiculous at first, but perhaps GJ doesn't want to spend the money?

If you look at Arsenal, Wenger has had the money to spend if he wants, yet he's chosen not to because he believes in doing it his way. I think GJ believes the same, that finding players at the right price with the hunger and desire to better themselves at this club.

GJ has said that SO FAR he's not been turned down by the board in the transfer market. This suggests to me that he's not tried to get the established players who would cost alot. When we were after Michael Reddy, it was GJ who put the brakes on because of the value for money not SL.

We can afford if we sell a bit first, but I don't think GJ wants to spend that kind of money on a single player yet.

We'll of course find out in due course.

And yep Arny, we really are in a no lose situation with Skuse at the minute.

I know this will seem ridiculous at first, but perhaps GJ doesn't want to spend the money?

If you look at Arsenal, Wenger has had the money to spend if he wants, yet he's chosen not to because he believes in doing it his way. I think GJ believes the same, that finding players at the right price with the hunger and desire to better themselves at this club.

GJ has said that SO FAR he's not been turned down by the board in the transfer market. This suggests to me that he's not tried to get the established players who would cost alot. When we were after Michael Reddy, it was GJ who put the brakes on because of the value for money not SL.

We can afford if we sell a bit first, but I don't think GJ wants to spend that kind of money on a single player yet.

We'll of course find out in due course.

And yep Arny, we really are in a no lose situation with Skuse at the minute.

Your quote is correct Redhyde.

All i know for sure, if we don't bring a proven striker in WE WILL STRUGGLE!!!!

Thats a plain fact mate, one Johnson knows he has to address or face the music if the club get off to a poor start.

Your quote is correct Redhyde.

All i know for sure, if we don't bring a proven striker in WE WILL STRUGGLE!!!!

Thats a plain fact mate, one Johnson knows he has to address or face the music if the club get off to a poor start.

Oh he knows we need a striker, but why proven? Sure it's less of a risk but obviously more expensive.

Why can't we get in an unproven (at least at this level or country) and have him prove himself with us. After all IMO the likes of Eastwood and Sharpe are unproven at this level because they haven't scored 15 goals in this league yet, neither has Varney.

Oh he knows we need a striker, but why proven? Sure it's less of a risk but obviously more expensive.

Why can't we get in an unproven (at least at this level or country) and have him prove himself with us. After all IMO the likes of Eastwood and Sharpe are unproven at this level because they haven't scored 15 goals in this league yet, neither has Varney.

The way i look at it is this.

If City fail to stay up this season it would be a total disaster.

Finishing one above the relagation line is ok with me.

You take a chance on a striker who has,nt played at championship level, and he fails, well just imagine?

Where as, a proven striker, who has been there and done it, could get us the sucsess we need!

My feelings only mind you, some will agree, others disagree, but this forum would be boring if we all agreed.

The way i look at it is this.

If City fail to stay up this season it would be a total disaster.

Finishing one above the relagation line is ok with me.

You take a chance on a striker who has,nt played at championship level, and he fails, well just imagine?

Where as, a proven striker, who has been there and done it, could get us the sucsess we need!

My feelings only mind you, some will agree, others disagree, but this forum would be boring if we all agreed.

I see what you're saying arny but how many proven championship strikers are available? And what is a proven Championship striker? Someone who regularly scores 15+ league goals season after season at Championship level or above?

These players are like gold dust and will cost you the earth. Ive a feeling it will be somebody coming to prove themselves with us.

The thing is, as sad as it is, Skusey is dispensible; we have a good set of midfield players who could probably cope at least until January whereas up front we all accept strengthening is needed.

By shuffling the deck and moving Coley on we can up the ante for those players GJ is targeting. Could this also up the chance of that Sun rumour about Kris Commons?

I would have thought, if the rumours are to be believed, that City are holding out for something in excess of 1 million. Maybe 1.2-1.5 with add ons and they will let him go.

problem with Skuse is that if we lose him we don't really have suitable cover for the role he plays, only Alex Russell, who although is a very good player, isn't getting any younger, we need a tackling midfielder in their as we know Noble and Johnson don't work together unless there is a holding player alongside them, if we lose Cole, we need to replace him with a suitable player..........Richie Wellens would be nice

problem with Skuse is that if we lose him we don't really have suitable cover for the role he plays, only Alex Russell, who although is a very good player, isn't getting any younger, we need a tackling midfielder in their as we know Noble and Johnson don't work together unless there is a holding player alongside them, if we lose Cole, we need to replace him with a suitable player..........Richie Wellens would be nice

Step forward Frankie Artus.

I see what you're saying arny but how many proven championship strikers are available? And what is a proven Championship striker? Someone who regularly scores 15+ league goals season after season at Championship level or above?

These players are like gold dust and will cost you the earth. Ive a feeling it will be somebody coming to prove themselves with us.

Kibs, its called the "power of the pound note".

Pay the right money, you get the right player...........simple as!

Everyone on this earth can be bought if the money is right, honest mate

Kibs, its called the "power of the pound note".

Pay the right money, you get the right player...........simple as!

Everyone on this earth can be bought if the money is right, honest mate

I'm not denying that, I hope it happens, I'm just not sure it will. It would be fantastic to see a proven championship goalscorer sign for us!!

Just out of interest Arny, Who would you put in the bracket of proven championship goalscorer that you think we should be targeting?

I'm not denying that, I hope it happens, I'm just not sure it will. It would be fantastic to see a proven championship goalscorer sign for us!!

Just out of interest Arny, Who would you put in the bracket of proven championship goalscorer that you think we should be targeting?

Now you got me mucker.

I could go on forever, but really is a difficult one mate.

I,ll leave that up to Mr Johnson

I'm not sure if i'm the only one that thinks this, but without Skuse I think we would lack alot of pace in midfield as well as someone who can hold back when we go forward and do the simple things. We'll need these players, Skuse in particular, in games next season where we'll be going away to a big side like Sheffield or West Brom looking to get a draw and so unless we could get a replacement player (which I doubt) or move a current player into midfield like Keogh or Bradley Orr I think we would struggle without him

I'm not particularly concerned with the price because it sounds to me like we have alot of money at the minute and no way to spend it; so I think it should come down to a choice based on what the player wants. So do we think he wants to leave his home town club after a promotion-winning season?

I doubt it

Now you got me mucker.

I could go on forever, but really is a difficult one mate.

I,ll leave that up to Mr Johnson

Fair enough mate, Just wondered if you had anyone in mind.

I'm the same, Cant think of anyone myself, I'm very intreagued to see who GJ has in mind striker wise.

Cole Skuse... £1m plus a sizeable sell-on fee... thank you very much!

Fact is Ladies and Gents, we're blessed with central midfielders at the moment and most people still believe we require a battling defensive midfielder anyway. Noble and Johnson are the best footballers in that position, Aggy keeps it ticking over whenever he's in there and with Artus set to break through, with arguably more potential than Skuse, then the time could well be right IMO.

Get a seven-figure fee with sell-on's and I'd do the deal. He's not ready for the Prem yet anyway...

Fact is Ladies and Gents, we're blessed with central midfielders at the moment and most people still believe we require a battling defensive midfielder anyway. Noble and Johnson are the best footballers in that position, Aggy keeps it ticking over whenever he's in there and with Artus set to break through, with arguably more potential than Skuse, then the time could well be right IMO.

Get a seven-figure fee with sell-on's and I'd do the deal. He's not ready for the Prem yet anyway...

Good shout I see no problems with him going,are strongest area is midfield,bring the money in and add some quality up front.[/u

If Skuse is worth a £Million after one good season in League One then he will worth atleast double that after a good season in the Championship. We therefore have alot more to gain by keeping him. Skusey must stay.

Yep I agree...There are considerations regarding bringing through players and maybe using the money, if all this is true, when we have more idea what we need...Despite SL's money he'll want the club to finance itself as much as possible...It is a business after all.

1m for Cole plus sell on clauses is a good deal, but the biggest issue could be if a Premier League club come knocking and we don't sell how will that effect the player?...In these sorts of circumstances a club like ours will normally not stand in the player's way as he will already be unsettled and have been subject to agents telling him he's the next big thing...Just a fact of life for most clubs unless your Chelsea/Arsenal/Manu/Liverpool

Artus will shortly be 20, an age when Skuse, Keogh, Golbourne, Cotterill, Fontaine, Williams, and Lita had all been given their chances in the first squad.

Artus has been brought on a lot slower, but 20 is an age when players are ready or they need to move on. Let him play in 4 or 5 of the pre season matches. If he looks the goods, then give him a run based on his performances. The bench, a start, thats entirely up to GJ and GJ has shown he moves younger players along if they don't perform to his standards. Benyon, Wring, Grubb, Lamb as recent 19-20 year olds who GJ moved out. Add Klein-Davies and Legistar, and you can see GJ is selective about the players he keeps. Artus is one, Williams is another. I don't include Plummer as he still has 2 years left with the Academy.

Guest Eamer

I'd like to see Artus given a chance and that may only happen if Skuse goes to Reading. Would be sad to see him go but £1.5million and a 25% sell-on like we always seem to get would be a fee I'd be happy with.

*sigh*

I remember us beating Reading 4-0 once.

I'm not sure if i'm the only one that thinks this, but without Skuse I think we would lack alot of pace in midfield as well as someone who can hold back when we go forward and do the simple things. We'll need these players, Skuse in particular, in games next season where we'll be going away to a big side like Sheffield or West Brom looking to get a draw and so unless we could get a replacement player (which I doubt) or move a current player into midfield like Keogh or Bradley Orr I think we would struggle without him

I'm not particularly concerned with the price because it sounds to me like we have alot of money at the minute and no way to spend it; so I think it should come down to a choice based on what the player wants. So do we think he wants to leave his home town club after a promotion-winning season?

I doubt it

If Reading offer Skuse £10-15K per week wages then he is going to be off down the M4 like a shot. That will ultimately be the reason why we cannot keep him if Reading really want him. End of story. City supporter or not. Football is his job, not his Saturday afternoon hobby.

yep, lets just throw a totally unproven teenager into a championship side and see if he sinks or swims.......whats'the worst thing that can happen, only relegation.

So, mr. crotchety irrational pants, you don't think that if CS goes to Reading, that potentially FA might, just might step up a place in the squad? It seems to me that it is a normal way of players coming through.

Artus will shortly be 20, an age when Skuse, Keogh, Golbourne, Cotterill, Fontaine, Williams, and Lita had all been given their chances in the first squad.

Artus has been brought on a lot slower, but 20 is an age when players are ready or they need to move on. Let him play in 4 or 5 of the pre season matches. If he looks the goods, then give him a run based on his performances. The bench, a start, thats entirely up to GJ and GJ has shown he moves younger players along if they don't perform to his standards. Benyon, Wring, Grubb, Lamb as recent 19-20 year olds who GJ moved out. Add Klein-Davies and Legistar, and you can see GJ is selective about the players he keeps. Artus is one, Williams is another. I don't include Plummer as he still has 2 years left with the Academy.

Its amazing how Artus is somehow nearly 20 when he doesn't turn 19 until mid September. As I understand it, GJ will send him on loan this season if he doesn't make a early break through into the first team. This policy is pretty much the same as one adpted by most premier league clubs.

Its amazing how Artus is somehow nearly 20 when he doesn't turn 19 until mid September. As I understand it, GJ will send him on loan this season if he doesn't make a early break through into the first team. This policy is pretty much the same as one adpted by most premier league clubs.

From an older persons perspective, you are nearly 30, as you start your 30th year in August. Artus starts his 20th year in September. I have 2 children who are 37 and 39, they keep saying they are nearly 40. A little pendantic, but the point being, if players are good enough they will get their place in the team. I believe Lita, Cotterill, Skuse and Golbourne were only 17-19 when they made their debuts.

In any event I wish Artus the best of luck with the challenge ahead. The post is about Skuse a local junior who may leave the club. I for one would like to see another local player take his place, rather than an import. IF he makes the grade.

Archived