IGNORED

Cole Skuse Off (merged)

Today's evil post says that Reading are close to offering 1m for Cole Skuse

o dear :disapointed2se:

so basically the EP are short on a story today, and have rehashed the same on as a fortnight ago, typical from that rag

either way, want more than a £1m, £1.6m mimumim with a clause for more if they stay up this season, and also another decent sell on clause

so basically the EP are short on a story today, and have rehashed the same on as a fortnight ago, typical from that rag

either way, want more than a £1m, £1.6m mimumim with a clause for more if they stay up this season, and also another decent sell on clause

Bite their hand off if they offer £1m Lansdown, spend it on a striker. Cheers.

Bite their hand off if they offer £1m Lansdown, spend it on a striker. Cheers.

what about having money left to replace Skuse with a suitable midfielder or equal style/ability?

either way, what do you actually get at Championship Level standard for £1m?

Reading shop at Ashton Gate, we apparantly shop in Edinburgh, and Gasheads shop at Ikea!!!

Seriously, I like Cole Skuse, but feel that he has not made the progress here, that I anticipated that he would.Naturally the departure of Bristolians impacts more emotionally because we all like to see local lads thrive in City's colours, but if the money is right, then it could be good business.£1m plus 25% sell on clause, plus appearance clauses etc.Might be worth looking at a player exchange too, if GJ thinks there is scope for that.

But if it doesn't happen, I will be delighted that he stays!!

what I don't understand is that with Certain players some people say "bite their hand off for that money" or "he hasn't progressed" it just doesn't make any sense?

Quite Obviously he has progressed over this season and in recent seasons as he has been a key player this year in getting City promotion, his form, performances and progression have quite obviously been very good as been constantly attracting premiership clubs since he broken into the first team at City and has is now at a point where a manager will willing to offer £1m for him?

As with any player/club they can always move forward and majority of clubs including City are always selling clubs despite what league they are in, as we have done though when going for players, they have to actually put an initial offer which is no doubt lower than they are willing to go, if their inital offer is for £1m GREAT.....they obviously rate him very highly so let's tell them we want £2m, and negotate from there, as someone else said for a player of his abiltity and age we should be looking for £1.5m minimum

Reading shop at Ashton Gate, we apparantly shop in Edinburgh, and Gasheads shop at Ikea!!!

Seriously, I like Cole Skuse, but feel that he has not made the progress here, that I anticipated that he would.Naturally the departure of Bristolians impacts more emotionally because we all like to see local lads thrive in City's colours, but if the money is right, then it could be good business.£1m plus 25% sell on clause, plus appearance clauses etc.Might be worth looking at a player exchange too, if GJ thinks there is scope for that.

But if it doesn't happen, I will be delighted that he stays!!

How has Cole Skuse NOT made progress at this club? How many apps did he make last year? Now there is a PREMIERSHIP club after him willing to pay £1m plus......

Please enlighten me as to how he has not made progress? He is by far and away the best midfielder at the club in my opinion...

what I don't understand is that with Certain players some people say "bite their hand off for that money" or "he hasn't progressed" it just doesn't make any sense?

Quite Obviously he has progressed over this season and in recent seasons as he has been a key player this year in getting City promotion, his form, performances and progression have quite obviously been very good as been constantly attracting premiership clubs since he broken into the first team at City and has is now at a point where a manager will willing to offer £1m for him?

As with any player/club they can always move forward and majority of clubs including City are always selling clubs despite what league they are in, as we have done though when going for players, they have to actually put an initial offer which is no doubt lower than they are willing to go, if their inital offer is for £1m GREAT.....they obviously rate him very highly so let's tell them we want £2m, and negotate from there, as someone else said for a player of his abiltity and age we should be looking for £1.5m minimum

Lets be clear about one thing, Terry, I never said he hadn't progressed, I simply expressed my opinion, that he hasn't progressed as much as I thought he would.Might be tactics, formation etc.I am aware that he's been linked with Charlton, Bolton, Tottenham, and now Reading since his Academy days. Good box to box player, does not score enough, and is still a bit lightweight in the midfield 'engine room'.His passing is goodand his footballing vision improved, but I had anticipated that he would be a player taking games by the proverbial 'scruff of the neck', which in my view he hasn't. That is not blind negativity, just my honest assessment.He has heaps of potential, but potential needs to be fulfilled, just ask Darren Caskey, or closer to home Marvin Brown.

totally agree.

Skuse has looked a very good player when given a run, and lets not forget he is still learning and developing.

he is worth much more than 1Million, and given that we'd probably only be allowed to spend 25% of that on a replacement why are we selling?

Lets be clear about one thing, Terry, I never said he hadn't progressed, I simply expressed my opinion, that he hasn't progressed as much as I thought he would.Might be tactics, formation etc.I am aware that he's been linked with Charlton, Bolton, Tottenham, and now Reading since his Academy days. Good box to box player, does not score enough, and is still a bit lightweight in the midfield 'engine room'.His passing is goodand his footballing vision improved, but I had anticipated that he would be a player taking games by the proverbial 'scruff of the neck', which in my view he hasn't. That is not blind negativity, just my honest assessment.He has heaps of potential, but potential needs to be fulfilled, just ask Darren Caskey, or closer to home Marvin Brown.

way off the mark of an assesment of Skuse in my book.

He has proven what a good player (in his given role) he can be.

It's amazing that people don't see him as a tough tackler, but take time to watch his play and he's very good at getting in amongst the opponents MF and stopping them. If he doesn't get too many goals that's probably because his best role is deep MF which allows other players to get forward.

No, Skuse has got a great engine and is clearly developing into a great player, why would we sell?

(unless of course the player himself is determined to go)

way off the mark of an assesment of Skuse in my book.

He has proven what a good player (in his given role) he can be.

It's amazing that people don't see him as a tough tackler, but take time to watch his play and he's very good at getting in amongst the opponents MF and stopping them. If he doesn't get too many goals that's probably because his best role is deep MF which allows other players to get forward.

No, Skuse has got a great engine and is clearly developing into a great player, why would we sell?

(unless of course the player himself is determined to go)

We would agree to differ. As I stated earlier, I like Cole Skuse, I just get frustrated that I can see the potential that he invariably has, and am not sure that we play to his strengths. Reread my post, its my opinion only, and certainly not a case of slagging a player off.

As for his tackling, it is hit and miss, but improved. Again, I never stated that he hadn't progressed, I hold the view that he hasn't fulfilled his potential as yet, and I had expected him to stamp his authority on games a bit more than he has.

I'd want more.

GJ obviously rates Skuse after playing 53 games last season and he's only 19-20yrs old. Don't think GJ will be happy to sell after one offer of a million quid....Unless he's got to free up funds for a replacement.

Skuse turned 21 back in march, had 35 starts and 13 substitutions in all competitions. What he does well, is close down the midfield when things are tight .

Towards the end of last season, GJ was starting with Russell and LJ. Now that Russell is re-signed and there are plenty of fans saying Artus will make his mark, Skuse may feel its a good opportunity to move on and up. He's fit, fast and does a job without taking control of the midfield. Million+.....take the money.

and Gasheads shop at Ikea!!!

More like War on Want.

If £1m is an opening gambit for a player of Cole's age then they'll pay more and with a decent sell-on.

Personally I also like the lad, what one would call an honest footballer. He's a grafter and will work his socks off but he's also limited but realises that and generally plays within his limitations. Don't think he had more than one shot on target last season out of probably 40 attempts. However, he did win a few midfield battles last term one in particular when he dominated the centre of the park up at Oldham and basically ripped Wellens and McDonald (?) to shreds, every 10-90 ball he won it.

Spot on assessment.

however people use these comments such as "doesn't take games by the scruff of the neck" and doesn't score enough goals, well that is the reason he is still at our club, if he had these aspects to his game, he would already be a Premiership player quite simply, he fact that he can't do this is why he is still with us.

it's like saying if Noble had pace, or if Lee Johnson was 6ft tall, these weaknesses in thier games is why they are still at a club like City,

looking back it's like saying what kinda player would Tinnion been if he had a right foot and pace, he didn't hence he was just a lower league footballer

This could be very interesting, we've been told that we can't keep hold of our best players while in league one and when we get to the championship things will be different. I think selling Skuse would be a big mistake i don't think we have another player like him at the club.

I think the club should take 1 million if offered as a lump sum. He is a good player but that is it, just good... How many times did he win Man of the match last season ?? not many, if any. I hope we have learnt from the Clayton Fortune situ that if you get a good offer for a player who isn`t first choice in the starting line up or you don't think that he will fullfill his potential then TAKE THE MONEY and put it towards Billy Sharp, Freddy Eastwood, Nathan Tyson or the Forest winger whose name escapes me

I hope we have learnt from the Clayton Fortune situ that if you get a good offer for a player who isn`t first choice in the starting line up or you don't think that he will fullfill his potential then TAKE THE MONEY and put it towards Billy Sharp, Freddy Eastwood, Nathan Tyson or the Forest winger whose name escapes me

Would that be the Clayton Fortune situation where we ACCEPTED the bid from Preston, then?

Guest Eamer
Would that be the Clayton Fortune situation where we ACCEPTED the bid from Preston, then?

That'd be the one. The one where Fortune rejected the move and not the club.

I really just don't see the point of him going.

I hope he's and his agent are smart enough to realise he'll earn more long term if he develops and plays with us then moves rather than jumping too far too early.

From the clubs point of view 1.5 million would be acceptable as there are central midfielders in abundance throughout the leagues who we could get but i think the management like Skuse alot and it'd be beneficial long term to keep him.

I simply don't see him leaving, yet.

Can I just check, as Cole is still under contract, if the club agree to the offer is it up to him if he goes or not? Basically can he say no i want to stay?

Yep, it's not like the olden days where basically if a club wanted you out you left. He can decide to do what he wants.

I can easily see a scenario where the club accepts a bid for him and he thinks it's in best interest to stay and develop here.

Yep, it's not like the olden days where basically if a club wanted you out you left. He can decide to do what he wants.

I can easily see a scenario where the club accepts a bid for him and he thinks it's in best interest to stay and develop here.

Lets hope so!!! :innocent06:

I would be very disappointed if the club let Cole go. in truth I don't think they will unless the player want to go.

Unless Reading offer silly money like 2 million + which they won't I hope he stays put at least to see how this club develops over the next year or so.

I would be very disappointed if the club let Cole go. in truth I don't think they will unless the player want to go.

Unless Reading offer silly money like 2 million + which they won't I hope he stays put at least to see how this club develops over the next year or so.

I have to agree xerox.

Cole Skuse is a very good player and worth more than a million as far as I'm concerned.

He will show his worth in the championship, and prove to be our best midfielder.

Saying that GJ is really needing a top class striker, and the million plus what ever more money SL allows him, could see us buying a proven strilker probably more than 1.5 million.

We,ll all have to wait and see...........

Archived