IGNORED

Cole Skuse Off (merged)

I don't want Skuse to leave as I think he is a vital member of the team from the way we played our football last year. Almost everytime we had a corner or free kick we would send Carey and McCombe up, often with great results. The player who allowed them to do this was Skuse moving back into defence. We don't have another player from midfield who can do this. Maybe Artus can, but we need cover for all positions so he should cover for Skuse not replace him.

Today's evil post says that Reading are close to offering 1m for Cole Skuse

o dear :disapointed2se:

If we let him go we don't want it enought,we sign old gits..that are good in league 1 but not at this lvl..skuse has something and should be retained at all cost.

If we let him go we don't want it enought,we sign old gits..that are good in league 1 but not at this lvl..skuse has something and should be retained at all cost.

don't know if anyone has mentioned it, but Skuse actually wants to go...end of story!

I don't want him to go, but that is from the horses mouth, not from word of mouth.

If a player wants to leave, he is going to leave. its down to SL to get the best deal for the club now

don't know if anyone has mentioned it, but Skuse actually wants to go...end of story!

I don't want him to go, but that is from the horses mouth, not from word of mouth.

If a player wants to leave, he is going to leave. its down to SL to get the best deal for the club now

If thats the case then Skuse is a mug, he has progressed gradually over the last couple of seasons and is a fair player but he's not even close to being ready for the premiership! Like you say if he wants out then there no too much SL can do-let him go and learn the hard way and lets worry about Bristol City FC by getting the best deal we can.

Add him to the long line of young players that have left before him to end up on the reserve scrap heap at so called bigger clubs.

If thats the case then Skuse is a mug, he has progressed gradually over the last couple of seasons and is a fair player but he's not even close to being ready for the premiership! Like you say if he wants out then there no too much SL can do-let him go and learn the hard way and lets worry about Bristol City FC by getting the best deal we can.

Add him to the long line of young players that have left before him to end up on the reserve scrap heap at so called bigger clubs.

harsh but true.

has no higher level experience (not even via England u-17, u-19 or anything) and may not be able to cope with the rigours of championship football, let alone premiership action, so for me this move would be foolish, both for Reading and Skuse.

with three years of his contract left and him being under 24 we hold all the cards and they'll have to pay through the nose. even if the lad wants to move if we say no he has no choice but to sit out his contract, although i can't see him sulking ad the lad has always played with his chin up. Reading would be mugs to pay £1 million for the lad right now, but i'd expect nothing less if he left.

Guest Eamer

Yea that's just what every young player plans out. Play in the Premiership for 4 years and then stop when he's 25 years old. Not quite.

Yea that's just what every young player plans out. Play in the Premiership for 4 years and then stop when he's 25 years old. Not quite.

Well yes actually, they have very limited shelf lives so make what they can when they can. It's called human nature, planning ahead

Sorry, supposed to go on the end of the other skuse thread!

How can Skuse be a mug if he is joining a premier league team probably being paid a 7 figure sum over 4 years. He could probably retire after that and never worry about money again.

Si.

So are you saying he's going for the money? if thats the case then he's not only a mug he's also greedy.

He must be on a decent wage at City and I some how doubt he struggling to pay the bills, I have no objection to a player wanting to test themselfs and get a promotion to a better standard of football and higher wages, the point is Skuse is not good enough to play in the premiership at the present time, we don't even know if he can do the business in the Championship?

Why are young players in such a rush to make the 'big' move? It's a big risk for Skuse and like I previously said he could end up on the reserve crap heap and never recover,he wouldnt be the first. If this happens I have no doubt Skuse would jump at the chance to return to his current salary just to feature in the first team at City.

You ask any professional footballer and they'll tell you there is no subtistute for playing...Not even money.

When you consider Scotty Murray was signed by Tinman at 150k a year, thats nearly 3000 quid a week, Skuse can expect at least 7000 a week. Thats more than 1 million over a 3 year contract, all that at 24 years old. A contract that no young player can refuse.

So are you saying he's going for the money? if thats the case then he's not only a mug he's also greedy.

He must be on a decent wage at City and I some how doubt he struggling to pay the bills, I have no objection to a player wanting to test themselfs and get a promotion to a better standard of football and higher wages, the point is Skuse is not good enough to play in the premiership at the present time, we don't even know if he can do the business in the Championship?

Why are young players in such a rush to make the 'big' move? It's a big risk for Skuse and like I previously said he could end up on the reserve crap heap and never recover,he wouldnt be the first. If this happens I have no doubt Skuse would jump at the chance to return to his current salary just to feature in the first team at City.

You ask any professional footballer and they'll tell you there is no subtistute for playing...Not even money.

Of course he is going to be doing nicely for himself at City, but you cant blame him or anyone else for going somewhere else where he can quadruple his salary in one stroke, plus have the potential for huge bonuses and sponsorship in the future. I cant believe that anyone could turn that down. There are arguments for thinking it would be best to stick around here - if another championship side came in for him, we could argue that he may as well stay, but he would be mad to turn down that chance. Any of our players could injure themselves at any time, that contract would set him up for life. At least with Reading he would have a chance at the first team, especially with Sidwell leaving. If it was Chelsea, he wouldnt have a prayer of getting a game.

i don't believe he will be getting great money currently like some of you have suggested, yes, new contract etc but he's come up from the academy. I'd be suprised if he was one of our top 10 paid players. However in my opinion he is well within our top 10 most valuable players. I for one hope he stays because i can only see him going from strength to strength next year.

Of course he is going to be doing nicely for himself at City, but you cant blame him or anyone else for going somewhere else where he can quadruple his salary in one stroke, plus have the potential for huge bonuses and sponsorship in the future. I cant believe that anyone could turn that down. There are arguments for thinking it would be best to stick around here - if another championship side came in for him, we could argue that he may as well stay, but he would be mad to turn down that chance. Any of our players could injure themselves at any time, that contract would set him up for life. At least with Reading he would have a chance at the first team, especially with Sidwell leaving. If it was Chelsea, he wouldnt have a prayer of getting a game.

You seem completely obsessed with the money side of things, I'm looking in more from a footballing point of view, whats the point of getting yourself a massive pay rise if your not playing football anymore and as a result not happy.

Of course I understand the lure of potentially a vast rise in wages but surely as a pro he's also concerned about his first team chances at Reading.

You seem completely obsessed with the money side of things, I'm looking in more from a footballing point of view, whats the point of getting yourself a massive pay rise if your not playing football anymore and as a result not happy.

Of course I understand the lure of potentially a vast rise in wages but surely as a pro he's also concerned about his first team chances at Reading.

Well if you're an ambitious type of guy which I think most footballers are then froma n oppermistic point of view you move get more money break in to team become a regular move on to Man Utd Liverpool etc... and replace carrick in england side - sure you might be right that long term development etc... but why would they not take your view - probably because they have an agent in their ear telling them the upsides and not the downsides and they have self belief in their own talents.

I can see where you are coming from BUT the vast majority of us on here would be "greedy", as you put it, if an employer up the road offered us seven or eight times our current salary. In other words, sign a three year contract and make more money in that time than you would from A WHOLE CAREER at Ashton Gate!! The next tackle he goes in for (whether it be at Ashton gate or the Madejski) could see his football career end at a stroke - I wouldn't blame him one bit if he took that on board and chased the money.

Guest zider_head

I'm told the fee is 2 million and he gets a 10% singing on fee so 200 k in his pocket house paid for up there etc easy, only going on what i was told, would be surprised if he is here in 3 weeks from the rumours i have heard

I've been in touch with a contact of my own and the state of play is:

- Cole is naturally interested in the move

- It was decision day TODAY apparently

- Fee approximately £900k

- Six figure signing on fee for Cole

- Cole's agent is apparently good mates with Lita's

From what I was told this evening it sounds like he may go, and very soon.

Loks like he'll go then, hopefully that 'approximate 900k.' fee will hit at least the 1m. mark and City will insist on added clauses.

Shouldn't think there's any doubt they will anyway.

Oh bugger, would be very upset to see him leave, 900k seems a little less than you would think for Skuse, but if it goes right back to GJ to spend then so be it, we'll cope. :crying:

From Coles point of view though, he would be silly turn down a move to play against Rooney, Gerrard in the prem, and i reckon he would get games to prove himself aswell, awsome for him. :dance:

Reading owe us big, thats 3 quality players now, does that make us their feeder club?

Oh bugger, would be very upset to see him leave, 900k seems a little less than you would think for Skuse, but if it goes right back to GJ to spend then so be it, we'll cope. :crying:

From Coles point of view though, he would be silly turn down a move to play against Rooney, Gerrard in the prem, and i reckon he would get games to prove himself aswell, awsome for him. :dance:

Reading owe us big, thats 3 quality players now, does that make us their feeder club?

Rooney & Gerrard don't play in the reserves? IMO your having a laugh if you think Skuse would hold down a regular first team place at any premiership club! He simply isnt good enough.

Enjoy the money Cole. :disapointed2se:

Rooney & Gerrard don't play in the reserves? IMO your having a laugh if you think Skuse would hold down a regular first team place at any premiership club! He simply isnt good enough.

Enjoy the money Cole. :disapointed2se:

Your right, hes not good enough to hold down a regular first team place in any premiership club, but i never said that, i said he will get games to prove himself.

Hes not gone yet anyways, lets not get too emotional.

he's not going to be starting each week but he will develop into a regular first team player over time, if the offer is right for City then we will likely take it, but personally speaking will be hoping for around £1,5m

have to be honest though, why are we losing quality players to a club like Reading, makes me sick! there were a nothing club back at Elm Park and just look at them now! well at least it gives us something to aspire to, if they can do it why can't we?

if they can do it why can't we?

Because we're selling our better prospects to them?

Skuse leaving would be a disappointment. Whilst he's far from the most effective first teamer right now, I think he's a little underappreciated and he's definitely got the potential to be a very good player and showed flashes of this towards the end of last season.

Skuse should only be going if GJ is certain that he can sign better players with whatever amount of the fee he will be allowed to spend. Hopefully this is the case.

Archived