IGNORED

Your City Hero

punnett

i'm bored, so it's Nostalgia time, I was speaking to a younger fan in work today and we were chatting about our all time favourite City players and i was trying to explain to him the greatness of the one and only GERRY GOW who to me no-one since has come close to surpassing, i still shudder at some of those tackles he used to make. Being stood in the middle of the East End as a teenager with the crowd swaying all over the place and Gow crunching into the oppositions playmaker still makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up, you often hear of players giving 100 per cent but no-one gave 100 per cent like Gerry did, the 70s, wonderful, wonderful days. The whole experience of a football match was so different in then and as a young lad a saturday was just so exciting it was something we looked forward to in school all week, my 2 boys are City fans but don't seem to show the same excitement or enthusiam as i did, still, HE'S HERE, HE'S THERE, HE'S EVERY****INGWHERE, GERRY GOW, GERRY GOW, any-one share my view?

Gow dominated the middle and ran the show back then; but was ablely assisted by the likes of Tainton,Kellard serving Skirton,Ritchie,Fear,Galley,Garland etc not forgetting the superb defence marshalled by Geoff Merrick etc; great days and promotion to the highest level came out of it.

Who of the present squad comes up to the mark?? Carey, Scottie?

Gow dominated the middle and ran the show back then; but was ablely assisted by the likes of Tainton,Kellard serving Skirton,Ritchie,Fear,Galley,Garland etc not forgetting the suberb defence marshalled by Geoff Merrick etc; great days and promotion to the highest level came out of it.

Who of the present squad comes up to the mark?? Carey, Scottie?

Hard to tell, in those days we were used to watching second tier football and we don't know if any of this squad is good enough for that level yet, another player from those days who i always thought was greatly underated was Donnie Gillies who provided me with the greatest night of my life at Coventry, but its a very valid point you make, we were very much a team with no individual stars.

Hard to tell, in those days we were used to watching second tier football and we don't know if any of this squad is good enough for that level yet, another player from those days who i always thought was greatly underated was Donnie Gillies who provided me with the greatest night of my life at Coventry, but its a very valid point you make, we were very much a team with no individual stars.

Donny Gillies = Leeds :clapping: and yes a team of all stars but with no prima donnas is good; signs are there with the present crop; :o all for one and one for all etc.

Donny Gillies = Leeds :clapping: and yes a team of all stars but with no prima donnas is good; signs are there with the present crop; :o all for one and one for all etc.

Gillies had the habit of scoring important goals and could play anywhere on the pitch

Steve Torpey :wub:

Ray Cashley

Gerry Sweeney

Brian Drysdale

Gary Collier

Geoff Merrick

Trevor Tainton

Jimmy super Mann

he's here he's there he's every ######g where Gerry Gow

Clive Whitehead

paul-the Cheese- Cheesley

Tom Ritchie

supported by Keith Fear

Bossed by Alan Dicks

Now every one of them is my hero! You young 'uns will (probably) never understand how great that team was!

How glad I am that I was a kid then!

U REDS

Steve Torpey :wub:

Ray Cashley

Gerry Sweeney

Brian Drysdale

Gary Collier

Geoff Merrick

Trevor Tainton

Jimmy super Mann

he's here he's there he's every ######g where Gerry Gow

Clive Whitehead

paul-the Cheese- Cheesley

Tom Ritchie

supported by Keith Fear

Bossed by Alan Dicks

Now every one of them is my hero! You young 'uns will (probably) never understand how great that team was!

U REDS

Keith Waugh

Andy Llewellyn

Martin Scott

Shaun Taylor

Rob Newman

Mark Gavin

Alan Walsh

Tommy Doc

Tinman

Stevie Neville

Super Bob

That would be my fave players from each position....but then you could easily have a bench of Jackie, Shelton, Psycho, Jordan and Keith Welch.

Not all on ability, but then a fave player is often for the charachter rather thatn the ability.

I would never use the term " hero " for someone kicking a ball around, no matter how good. Favorite blood and guts players.

John Atyeo, Mike Thresher, and if he's allowed to develop with City, then Keogh from the current squad. I really like his style.

Steve Neville, Glyn Riley, Bob Taylor, Rob Newman, Jackie and finally, Dave 'Smudger' Smith.

MM

Dave "Smudger"Smith - he always had to fish his shorts out of his buttocks before kickoff - My cousin noticed it first and then it became something we always had to check he did............AND HE ALWAYS DID!!

Dave "Smudger"Smith - he always had to fish his shorts out of his buttocks before kickoff - My cousin noticed it first and then it became something we always had to check he did............AND HE ALWAYS DID!!

Can't say I paid to much attention to that :noexpression:

My other, which I forgot, Alan Walsh!!

MM

U REDS

My sentiments exactly

As a kid of 14 Following a team on the up to the highest division was and must still be the best thing there is available in life

Too young to understand what girls were all about - Music of the time was great but too young to be in a band or anything

So footie was the be all and end all of my life and whats more MY team -....yes MY team...the team from where I was born - that my father watched and his father etc.....were ON THE UP to the highest level

The excitment that every Saturday brought was awesome

Turnstiles would open about midday if I remember right - and could be queues even then

"hour or two in a bloody gert queue to get in the ground and sing" - Wurzels were not joking

Have to say that the experience was a lot different then - for every supporter not just kids

But we only have ourselves (football supporters) to blame for allowing our national treasure to fall into the mess it did during the 80's & 90's resulting in the sanitised spectacle of todays modern game experience - hey ho

Archived