IGNORED

Phil Jevons?

reddogkev

Whilst we are all casting our nets far and wide to name the striker, or striking options that could give us extra firepower, it is interesting to stop and think about Phil Jevons.

I reckon that he may surprise us all and remain as our topscorer next season....

If you look at his scoring ability, it is without question to a very high standard. He has scored some truly memorable goals, and a link on here from earlier shows a you tube video where he hits an absolute screamer against liverpool whilst playing for grimsby.

I think last season he appeared to suffer with consistency and raising his game for certain matches - for quite alot of games. But, I feel that the appeal of playing again at the championship, and trying to prove himself against a better standard of teams could just bring out the edge in Phil Jevons.

Plus, we all know what GJ thinks of him as a player, and I reckon that he will give him a serious pep talk pre-season, designed to turn him into a hungrier striker.

PHil Jevons could score at least 15 league goals this season.

I'm not saying we don't need a new striker - but lets give Jevo his due support.

Whilst we are all casting our nets far and wide to name the striker, or striking options that could give us extra firepower, it is interesting to stop and think about Phil Jevons.

I reckon that he may surprise us all and remain as our topscorer next season....

I'll have a pint of what your on and if Jevo's our top scorer we can look forward to a swift return to League One. :disapointed2se:

Disagree completely.

Brookers' 'typical' style of goal puts Jevons' to shame.

I think he'll be too weak, too lazy and too inacurate at shooting to do very well.

Is this the same injury hit Brooker who could only muster 3 goals last season due to his various problems? I hear what you're saying, but I would disagree about your claim Jevo will lack the accuracy, and the point I am making, is that at the championship level, he will hopefully shed his indolent side to the game and work harder to impress....

Is this the same injury hit Brooker who could only muster 3 goals last season due to his various problems? I hear what you're saying, but I would disagree about your claim Jevo will lack the accuracy, and the point I am making, is that at the championship level, he will hopefully shed his indolent side to the game and work harder to impress....

Injuries aside, Brooker made goals for himself via a quick turn on the edge of the box or slotting in a 1-on-1.

Thinking of Jevo's goals this season (hard to remember so few taking away Gillingham (H)) there was a wonder goal at Forest and Brighton, then some tap in's and a couple of decent efforts.

But again, take away his actual goals, I remember 1-on-1 misses and poor shots more clearly.

Hope I'm wrong.

Jevons will do well to get in the matchday squad.We all saw what his limitations are last season.No need to recap them all again.

15 goals by your top scorer next season is nowhere near enough..

City need a goalscorer who'll be good for at least 20 and hopefuly 25 next season and even with Brooker fit City don't have that quality of striker at the moment.The bad news is that all the available proven goalscorers have been snapped up by other clubs.

Looks like we'll just have to hope that Johnson unearths a real find.Maybe Sproule is the man...... :dunno:

I don't think we should be writing off jevons. He's not the quickest, but he's got good feet and in a less physical division he might do well. Some players take a season to come good, but are fantastic in their second season (drogba or bergkamp for instance) so maybe we should give him a chance...

I'd rather see Jevons given a chance than a complete unknown with no record in this division.

BUT, if we can get someone of proven championship quality then we cant afford to be sentimental.

City need a goalscorer who'll be good for at least 20 and hopefuly 25 next season and even with Brooker fit City don't have that quality of striker at the moment.The bad news is that all the available proven goalscorers have been snapped up by other clubs.

Quite agree 15 goals from top scorer is nowhere near enough. After all Birmingham got promoted with a top scorer getting 16 and as for Sunderland their top scorer has a massive 13.

In fact the top scorer in the CCC last year was Cureton with 24, so yes - hopefully we'll get that 25 a season striker, that would be cool.

Oh and I guess I should make an on topic comment, I would actually like to see Jevons get a go before writing him off completely - I do think our style will be a fair bit different this season, maybe it will suit him better.

The simple answer to this thread is if Jevons is so good why did Johnson drop him and replace him with Noble for our final 5 games.

Simple

Because if GJ hadnt dropped him we would have finished 3rd at best and may have not got promoted.

Too slow, scored goals yes but many penalties and in cup competitions. Sure they are all goals but will be even more restricted at a higher level

I think G.J. has already made his mind-up that Jevons will ultimately depart .The comment that we will see a new improved Jevons because of renewed motivational pep-talks from G.J. would beg the question why did they not work last season.

G.J. fully expected 20 league goals from him last term yet we got just 9 from open play, faced with the sterner challenge of championship football it is difficult to imagine him even matching last seasons figure.A return to the first division with Yeovil could well take place,one can imagine several clubs would be attracted to an early season loan should G.J. believe he has no real future with us.

Guest DanC

Lets just leave it to the expert... Gary Johnson. Jevo helped get us to the Championship so he deserves at least a chance to prove himself at Championship level.

Our defence was so good last year because in the main it was the same back 5 for more or less the whole season,

Basso

orr , carey, Mccombe, Mccalister,

Compare that to our strikers where we had about 15 different combinations with about 9 different players and its easy to see why we were poor up front, Brooker and jevons will be fine in the championship providing Brooker can stay fit.

• Admin
Jevons will do well to get in the matchday squad.We all saw what his limitations are last season.No need to recap them all again.

Looks like we'll just have to hope that Johnson unearths a real find.Maybe Sproule is the man...... :dunno:

16 Championship Clubs didn't possess a player who managed 15 league goals last season. 13 of these survived.

Only 3 Championship Clubs possessed a player who bagged himself 20 (or more) league goals last season.

No Championship Club possessed a player who managed to reach 25 league goals.

If Johnson manages to find a 25 (League) goal scorer next season we'll either go up automatically or extend our season through the play-offs as long as the defence doesn't just bend over and stick their asses in the air each time the opposition attacks.

I disagree about your goal tally requirement.. i think we will have several players getting into double figures IF we strengthen a bit more.. And, quite frankly, this is far more preferable than relying too much on one player who could get injured.

15 goals by your top scorer next season is nowhere near enough..to achieve what?

City need a goalscorer who'll be good for at least 20 and hopefuly 25 next season ayour in dream land

16 Championship Clubs didn't possess a player who managed 15 league goals last season. 13 of these survived.

Only 3 Championship Clubs possessed a player who bagged himself 20 (or more) league goals last season.

No Championship Club possessed a player who managed to reach 25 league goals.

If Johnson manages to find a 25 (League) goal scorer next season we'll either go up automatically or extend our season through the play-offs as long as the defence doesn't just bend over and stick their asses in the air each time the opposition attacks.

As always Madger I bow to your greater statistical knowledge.

Maybe last season in the CCC was a one-off with so few clubs having a 20 goal a season striker.

Maybe a 1 goal in every 3 games ratio is acceptable ratio in the CCC.

20 a season strikers (league goals) in the CCC

2006-07 3

2005-06 1

2004-05 3

2003-04 2

2002-03 5

2001-02 5

2000-01 3

1999-00 3

1998-99 5

1997-98 5

So on average there are 3 and a half players with 20 league goals - maybe we should aim for getting the half a player - Lee Johnson up front?

20 a season strikers (league goals) in the CCC

2006-07 3

2005-06 1

2004-05 3

2003-04 2

2002-03 5

2001-02 5

2000-01 3

1999-00 3

1998-99 5

1997-98 5

So on average there are 3 and a half players with 20 league goals

I'm really surprised at those stats. There must be some very impressive defenders at CCC level.

If you look at his scoring ability, it is without question to a very high standard. He has scored some truly memorable goals, and a link on here from earlier shows a you tube video where he hits an absolute screamer against liverpool whilst playing for grimsby.

I think last season he appeared to suffer with consistency and raising his game for certain matches - for quite alot of games. But, I feel that the appeal of playing again at the championship, and trying to prove himself against a better standard of teams could just bring out the edge in Phil Jevons.

Plus, we all know what GJ thinks of him as a player, and I reckon that he will give him a serious pep talk pre-season, designed to turn him into a hungrier striker.

PHil Jevons could score at least 15 league goals this season.

I'm not saying we don't need a new striker - but lets give Jevo his due support.

Did you watch any games last season ? If you did you must be mad.

Phil Jevons scored goals in the championship last time he played there, since then he is a more experienced player and I'd imagine will likely get a dozen goals this season.

Jevons has a footballing brain and is a very good technical player which has been proved with the quality of some of the goals he has scored at City and prior to that, however he isn't a Strong battering sort of player which you need to be in the lower two leagues, I firmly believe that this league will be more suited to his style and ability and given games and service will score.

His biggest problems wasnt taking chances, it was players creating chance for him.

Phil Jevons scored goals in the championship last time he played there, since then he is a more experienced player and I'd imagine will likely get a dozen goals this season.

Jevons has a footballing brain and is a very good technical player which has been proved with the quality of some of the goals he has scored at City and prior to that, however he isn't a Strong battering sort of player which you need to be in the lower two leagues, I firmly believe that this league will be more suited to his style and ability and given games and service will score.

His biggest problems wasnt taking chances, it was players creating chance for him.

Yes he did score goals in the championship.....a whopping 6 in two seasons,and you want to pin your faith on him to do better than last season in what was the poorest division one for over ten years?

Thinking about it with a level head is difficult to do at times and sitting on the fence is not something i do too often but i find myself stuck there at the moment. Sure, as people have pointed out Jevons doesn't look like the type of striker that is going to set AG on fire with pace and flare in the forthcoming season, but does that mean he wont be succcessful in the CCC?? Yes he frustrates us all with the countless times he is caught offside in a game but at least he has the vision to be in a position to recieve the ball, granted too early. Yes he frustrates many by running out wide to recieve the ball and he is never going to score from the touchlines. However, with new pacey signings around him and being forced by GJ to play ONLY in the centre of the final third of the pitch, could our lazy (as i believe he has been reffered to earlier in this thread) Phil Jevons become the CCCs top scoring poacher?? He will rely on the pace of those around him which would allow him to float around the box and not be picked up as a threat as such, and to be honest if it means survival in the CCC do we care whether he scores screamers or whether they bounce in off his arse??? Every little helps. I think there are pro's and con's. Anyone agree??

Thinking about it with a level head is difficult to do at times and sitting on the fence is not something i do too often but i find myself stuck there at the moment. Sure, as people have pointed out Jevons doesn't look like the type of striker that is going to set AG on fire with pace and flare in the forthcoming season, but does that mean he wont be succcessful in the CCC?? Yes he frustrates us all with the countless times he is caught offside in a game but at least he has the vision to be in a position to recieve the ball, granted too early. Yes he frustrates many by running out wide to recieve the ball and he is never going to score from the touchlines. However, with new pacey signings around him and being forced by GJ to play ONLY in the centre of the final third of the pitch, could our lazy (as i believe he has been reffered to earlier in this thread) Phil Jevons become the CCCs top scoring poacher?? He will rely on the pace of those around him which would allow him to float around the box and not be picked up as a threat as such, and to be honest if it means survival in the CCC do we care whether he scores screamers or whether they bounce in off his arse??? Every little helps. I think there are pro's and con's. Anyone agree??

No doubt PJ scored some cracking goals last season,but............you knew it was coming,he he. The only game i can remember where he looked deadly was the HT against Gillingham. Nobody expects a forward to be in the game for the full 90 mins but for many games last season he was nowhere to be seen for long periods, was muscled off the ball far too easily and towards the end of the season, prior to GJ dropping him, looked thoroughly disinterested. For me the goal return wasn`t great and i`m yet to be convinced he can do the job for us this season.

He may get a bit more space and time but he`s got to be willing to make the most of it. Defences will be technically better than league one and the offside count could get very high.

Having said all that, who knows? The latvia trip and remaining friendlies could answer some questions and some good performances and a few goals could maybe see him start the season up front. Brooker looks unlikely to be fit for the start ( but thats another thread entirely ) so its highly likely in fact. For me though the performances will have to come when it counts and with our first 4/5 games giving us an opportunity to get the season off to a decent start there`s no room for manouver.

I`m all for giving him a chance but he knows better than anyone that he`s going to have to produce the goods.

PDG

Archived