IGNORED

New Running Out Music

potbelly

They haven't when I've been.

Last time I noticed what Spurs ran out to, they had the Gladiator soundtrack on!

I wonder if DaveL could help out with this debate?

OK. The Wurzels are a very important part of the recent history of Bristol City and some of their songs are very closely identifed with the Club. I will never forget being part of however many thousand fans were up at Liverpool during that famous cup win, all of whom were belting out 'Dring Up Thy Cider'. It was spine tingling. The overwhelming feedback I have had from people is that they like a bit of Wurzels on match days, and so we will continue to play them, in moderation. I believe it's a good tradition.

I also believe that music can play a very important part in building an atmosphere pre-kick off so that by the time the teams come out there is a real sense of expectation and excitement. There is a piece of music I have in mind, but you'll have to wait and see what that is. Generally I am looking to modernise the musical output and bring in a lot more variety, rather than rely on some of the so-called old favourites. I will be taking dedications and requests, so fans will be able to have some input into what's played. We will also be starting up a couple of half time / pre-match competitions. More news on that soon.

Ultimately of course, it's fans and players who create atmosphere in football grounds, not men with microphones. So I'll shut up if you lot sing.

Utter rubbish

Really? You think the Wurzels is intimidating?

so it has to be Hello Hello we are the City boys/stapleton road/my old man/East End star from now then?

No. Where did I say that?

I would rather not have a little singalong as the teams are coming out. I'd just like some music that builds up and is a bit loud and menacing. Then let the crowd take care of the rest with some primal roaring and general vitriolic shouting at full volume.

Ever seen a game at Fenerbahce or somewhere similar? The atmosphere is positively menacing and you can see it on the oppositions faces as they come out of the tunnel. All they're going to do if we're singing the Wurzels is chuckle.

For me, the Wurzels is best for celebrating after a game.

I would rather not have a little singalong as the teams are coming out. I'd just like some music that builds up and is a bit loud and menacing. Then let the crowd take care of the rest with some primal roaring and general vitriolic shouting at full volume.

Can you remember what they played at the Stadium of Light the last time we were in the Championship? It was a piece of classical music that sent shivers up the spine. Summat like that would be good (as long as the new PA is up to it).

Really? You think the Wurzels is intimidating?

No. Where did I say that?

Ever seen a game at Fenerbahce or somewhere similar? The atmosphere is positively menacing and you can see it on the oppositions faces as they come out of the tunnel. All they're going to do if we're singing the Wurzels is chuckle.

For me, the Wurzels is best for celebrating after a game.

I don't think Turkey is even worthy of a comparison as the only similarity is Fenerbahce is part of europe [just].

Of course drink up thy cider can be intimidating in the same way let come is at Millwall when sung by thousands. Its perfect as an anthem, alcohol, football and a little aside at the Gas.

Music often utterly crushes the atmosphere a good example would have been half time in the East End with the party on somebody thought it was good idea to put you'll never walk alone and instantly the atmospherec dropped off.

OK. The Wurzels are a very important part of the recent history of Bristol City and some of their songs are very closely identifed with the Club. I will never forget being part of however many thousand fans were up at Liverpool during that famous cup win, all of whom were belting out 'Dring Up Thy Cider'. It was spine tingling. The overwhelming feedback I have had from people is that they like a bit of Wurzels on match days, and so we will continue to play them, in moderation. I believe it's a good tradition.

I also believe that music can play a very important part in building an atmosphere pre-kick off so that by the time the teams come out there is a real sense of expectation and excitement. There is a piece of music I have in mind, but you'll have to wait and see what that is. Generally I am looking to modernise the musical output and bring in a lot more variety, rather than rely on some of the so-called old favourites. I will be taking dedications and requests, so fans will be able to have some input into what's played. We will also be starting up a couple of half time / pre-match competitions. More news on that soon.

Ultimately of course, it's fans and players who create atmosphere in football grounds, not men with microphones. So I'll shut up if you lot sing.

We might not like your choice .

So fans will be able to vote on what is played instead of being subjected to whatever others think is good for us.

Can you remember what they played at the Stadium of Light the last time we were in the Championship? It was a piece of classical music that sent shivers up the spine. Summat like that would be good (as long as the new PA is up to it).

I wasn't there. The only piece of classical music I can think of like that is

from the planets suite by Holst.

I don't think Turkey is even worthy of a comparison as the only similarity is Fenerbahce is part of europe [just].

I'm not making a comparison I'm giving you an example of what intimidating is and how I'd like opposition teams to feel as they come onto the pitch.

Of course drink up thy cider can be intimidating in the same way let come is at Millwall when sung by thousands. Its perfect as an anthem, alcohol, football and a little aside at the Gas.

Well, I'll just agree to disagree with you. I've never ever seen any side or their fans look even remotely intimidated by it.

Music often utterly crushes the atmosphere a good example would have been half time in the East End with the party on somebody thought it was good idea to put you'll never walk alone and instantly the atmospherec dropped off.

Agree with that, you have to get it right or it just kills it completely. Like the whole cheerleading "Come on you reds" rubbish did.

Definately keep the Wurzels, I certainly don't think they deserve to be banished totally!

Thank you sir :innocent06:

I am sure you'll do a sterling job.

whats the music from the helicopter scene in that war film with the big bloke? vietnam, goes mental, gets killed by bloke who turned up in boat. good film, great piece of music, know the one i mean?

You mean Apocalypse Now?

Can't remember the music from that film but the soundtrack is here.

Other film you could mean is Full Metal Jacket I guess.

You mean Apocalypse Now?

Can't remember the music from that film but the soundtrack is here.

Other film you could mean is Full Metal Jacket I guess.

thats he, apocolypse now. i don't currently have working sound card but i think i've got it on vhs somewhere.

the,dada, the, the, the , dada etc etc.

Just looked it up and it's called Dance of the Knights by Prokofiev. I reckon we should shamelessly copy this from Sunderland.

thats he, apocolypse now. i don't currently have working sound card but i think i've got it on vhs somewhere.

the,dada, the, the, the , dada etc etc.

Ride of the Valkyries I think. Someone suggested that in the poll thread.

Here we are Sir Tit

The Chaplin/Hitler version is better :)

I said it doesn't encourage an intimidating atmosphere.

It sounds like a bunch of people being very happy, which is exactly what it is.

It's not very scarey is it?

don't really get your point - you think if the opponents hear scarey music it means we got a better chance of winning....!??!

don't go along with that - having 10,000 opponents fans might unhinge them a bit - even if we are singing 'drink up thee cider'

Dario G?!?! What about Johnny Cash - Ring of Fire.

"Dah dah dah dah dah dah dah daaaah! Dah dah dah dah dah dah dah daaaaaaaaah!

:noexpression:

Nothing wrong with Johnny Cash. It's just the Dario G version is more modern and up beat.

In case anyone hasn't heard it here it is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSQMas3gbPY

I bet all of our fans would know the words
You would be surprised actually.

don't really get your point - you think if the opponents hear scarey music it means we got a better chance of winning....!??!

don't go along with that - having 10,000 opponents fans might unhinge them a bit - even if we are singing 'drink up thee cider'

I think you're right that the crowd are ultimately what affects the opposition. The crowd can play a big part in putting them off balance.

Music affects mood. I don't think anyone can argue that one.

The Wurzels is happy, good time music. Again, that's pretty obvious.

10,000 happy fans having a good time is great but it doesn't put the shits up the opposition no matter how loud they are because they've all got smiles on their faces.

You've never seen a horror film where the director chose a country and western song for the scene where the killer's stalking the dumb blonde have you?

A track with a bit of menace that gets the adrenaline pumping round the crowd ought to help create an intimidating atmosphere is what I'm trying to say. For me that isn't the Wurzels.

I've got nothing against the Wurzels, I like em, I'm just saying it's more appropriate for celebrating three points than it is for trying to make the opposition nervous which is what I think any entrance music should be trying to do.

I've got nothing against the Wurzels, I like em, I'm just saying it's more appropriate for celebrating three points than it is for trying to make the opposition nervous which is what I think any entrance music should be trying to do.

I think more important is buliding up our own fans and players, although intimidation is a useful by-product.

I agree that wurzels shouldnt be part of it. Drink up thy zider is our song, but its better when the crowd sing it. Lots of fans don't even know the words to the verses so its not ideal for pre-match.

I think club foot by Kasabian would be a good shout, or right here right now by Fatboy Slim, or maybe a bit of Chemical Brothers? Anything loud on our good new PA system is going to be an improvement on last year. Encouraging words from Dave L about what we can expect.

So when 5000 city fans sang drink up thy cider at forest they laughed? They looked gobsmacked and only the odd peep was heard now and then from them.

Drink up thy cider does not encourage atmosphere? Whoa I think not.!

I think that Wurzel song works better when there's no music. It just sounds a bit gay with it.

Going along with the idea of a tension builder before the players come out of the tunnel (Angels by Massive Attack)

How about....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMq4akUZr8c

HEY BIG SPENDER by Shirley Bassey.

yours midland red.

:laugh:, - if we'd signed LT .... 'Roll Out The Barrel' wouldve got a larf!

or hows about Benny Hills 'Ernie' (his name was Dunsford & he drove the fastest milkcart in the West :) )

or if L Peacock was still here ... Right Said Freds - 'I'm Too Sexy' for me shirt.

OK being serious now, Ive just had a listen to it & think BTO's 'YOU AINT SEEN NOTHIN YET' is a good shout.

Archived