IGNORED

Forest Green Rovers V Bristol City

Taunton_City

I *think* GJ only turned up for second half, I didn't see him in the 1st half but then again he isn't very big ;) Rumours on the terraces were that he had been meeting with a certain Swansea City player.

On the pitch - the BC side of me is worried because a reasonably strong BC side got played off the pitch by a reasonably strong FGR side. I'd say of the FGR starting 11, maybe 6-7 would expect to be first team regulars. Second half was much more even, but both teams were weaker, City were certainly up for it to the extent of Scott Murray running into the net to retrieve the ball after he scored. FGR weathered the storm got a deserved 4th and finished the stronger, spurning several good chances to score more. So yes it's only a pre-season friendly and yes City had half a first team but at no time did FGR have our strongest team on the pitch. A team 3 leagues above another shouldn't be losing 4-1 in any sort of game I'm afraid

The FGR side of me is really happy, we have a settled squad and played some really nice football at times tonight. The club is moving in the right direction and we have some continuity at long last (we only lost one player over the summer).

Finally I don't think Jevons would get in the FGR side

spot on there mate

His words - same as a lot of unblinkered supporters.

is that a slight dig at me by any chance? i could argue that the fact you base a result away at forest green, on a crap night, on a water logged pitch will make any difference to our season as "blinkered".

Millens comment are lip talk for people like you, if you fail to see that then i guess there's no suprise that you are as misguided as i believe you are.

is that a slight dig at me by any chance? i could argue that the fact you base a result away at forest green, on a crap night, on a water logged pitch will make any difference to our season as "blinkered".

Millens comment are lip talk for people like you, if you fail to see that then i guess there's no suprise that you are as misguided as i believe you are.

You might be happy to lose to Blue Square opposition twice in a week with one of those defeats being a total drubbing. However, Keith Millen isn't and that is to his credit. I hope Steve Lansdown and Gary Johnson feel the same way too. Whether the night was crap and the pitch was waterlogged it is becoming clear that we have serious defensive problems. Five matches played, one clean sheet (by our one reasonably reliable keeper) and ELEVEN goals conceded. Please don't tell me that isn't cause for concern.

You might be happy to lose to Blue Square opposition twice in a week with one of those defeats being a total drubbing. However, Keith Millen isn't and that is to his credit. I hope Steve Lansdown and Gary Johnson feel the same way too. Whether the night was crap and the pitch was waterlogged it is becoming clear that we have serious defensive problems. Five matches played, one clean sheet (by our one reasonably reliable keeper) and ELEVEN goals conceded. Please don't tell me that isn't cause for concern.

no, it's not mate. The defence was one of the main reasons we got promoted last year. Are you telling me that they've suddenly stopped playing well as a unit. bearing in mind that the "unit" didn't play together tonight? different keepers each time.

Come on lads, any chance that you moaners will come up with a sensible arguement as to why these results matter? I'm not being blinkered but the arguement that results in pre-season make any difference as to the attitude/confidence taken into a new season really just don't add up.

Guest mesa boogie
why does "people like you" explain a lot?

Just a throw away comment from you, with no explanation mate, now that explains a lot.

Oh jeez, here we go again. :surrender:

no, it's not mate. The defence was one of the main reasons we got promoted last year. Are you telling me that they've suddenly stopped playing well as a unit. bearing in mind that the "unit" didn't play together tonight? different keepers each time.

Come on lads, any chance that you moaners will come up with a sensible arguement as to why these results matter? I'm not being blinkered but the arguement that results in pre-season make any difference as to the attitude/confidence taken into a new season really just don't add up.

OK then clever clogs - as you like to typecast people, find my, or Cynic's for that matter, constant posts moaning at all things Bristol City. Have you ever played football to any standard? Because what I can tell you is that a number of defeats in pre-season will do nothing to help our chances of making a decent start. Defeats dent confidence - even in pre-season. We still have time to put things right but supporters have a right to be concerned if journeymen BLUE SQUARE standard players are making our players look like mugs. These same players will be up against FAR BETTER players in the next eight months. Perhaps we have not been at the races this week - then in that case, many supporters would like to see evidence of being at the races over the next couple of weeks.

If we get outplayed by Yeovil and Bournemouth in the next couple of games then we have serious problems to try and address. Lets hope we don't get to that stage.

Guest mesa boogie
no mate, it's about time city fans stopped being so negative. There really is no need for it, we're all pulling in the same direction.

I'd certainly be cheesed off if little Bristol Rovers lost 4-1 to FGR and that's no disrespect to FGR. From what I can gather you fielded quite a strong side and if I were you I'd be concerned. As for criticism of players, people pay their money so they can have opinions.

OK then clever clogs - as you like to typecast people, find my, or Cynic's for that matter, constant posts moaning at all things Bristol City. Have you ever played football to any standard? Because what I can tell you is that a number of defeats in pre-season will do nothing to help our chances of making a decent start. Defeats dent confidence - even in pre-season. We still have time to put things right but supporters have a right to be concerned if journeymen BLUE SQUARE standard players are making our players look like mugs. These same players will be up against FAR BETTER players in the next eight months. Perhaps we have not been at the races this week - then in that case, many supporters would like to see evidence of being at the races over the next couple of weeks.

If we get outplayed by Yeovil and Bournemouth in the next couple of games then we have serious problems to try and address. Lets hope we don't get to that stage.

i'm not trying to be clever mate. I played football to a decent level when younger. (yts until 15). defeats against decent opposition dent confidence i agree, defeats aagainst this lot would not bother me a bit if i was playing at our championship level, in fact, as it's a job and i'd be looking for a bonus against qpr for a first team appearance then i wouldn't put a foot in against a team like fgr. i'd like the city to win every game just the same as the next city fan but lets put this game into perspective.

I'd certainly be cheesed off if little Bristol Rovers lost 4-1 to FGR and that's no disrespect to FGR. From what I can gather you fielded quite a strong side and if I were you I'd be concerned. As for criticism of players, people pay their money so they can have opinions.

opinions are fine mate, when they are warranted, these aren't.

Guest mesa boogie
opinions are fine mate, when they are warranted, these aren't.

It's a bloody forum! Not a happy get along agree with everything playground!

i'm not trying to be clever mate. I played football to a decent level when younger. (yts until 15). defeats against decent opposition dent confidence i agree, defeats aagainst this lot would not bother me a bit if i was playing at our championship level, in fact, as it's a job and i'd be looking for a bonus against qpr for a first team appearance then i wouldn't put a foot in against a team like fgr. i'd like the city to win every game just the same as the next city fan but lets put this game into perspective.

The perspective for me is the next two matches. Improve performances and results in those (which you want to do as you approach August 11th) and these defeats will be consigned to the bin. If not then the situation becomes more serious than just "meaningless defeats". Surely you need to "put your foot in" at some point in pre-season in order to make the QPR starting XI in the first place.

OK then clever clogs - as you like to typecast people, find my, or Cynic's for that matter, constant posts moaning at all things Bristol City. Have you ever played football to any standard?

Yes, I have. And pre-season didn't mean squat. Except getting your fitness back, getting your timing right, and trying to make yourself look better than the numpty that was going to come on in your place. In fact, a couple of "wake up calls" seemed to work better than easy 6-0 results. Complacency starts to creep in and you get a rude shock after the first game of the season.

Yes, I have. And pre-season didn't mean squat. Except getting your fitness back, getting your timing right, and trying to make yourself look better than the numpty that was going to come on in your place. In fact, a couple of "wake up calls" seemed to work better than easy 6-0 results. Complacency starts to creep in and you get a rude shock after the first game of the season.

We've now had our couple of wake up calls. How many more do we need before we start taking the football seriously? The perfomances need to step up a great deal now otherwise Johnson (and many fans) will be very concerned. In a way, I am looking forward to Saturday because I imagine that a few players will be sent out there with a point to prove.

As I said in the edited version of the above reply ;

Arrogant ####.

as i've already stated mate, the exact response i'd have expected from a bloke who's been unable to put a decnt arguement forward all night, nothing to do with arrogance, however, with that response you can't blame me for making you look like a prize plum.

Was feeling disappointed at what I thought was going to be a lack of quality & competition that was lined up for our pre-season friendlies... no real tests etc for a 'buzzing, eager, enthusiastic, newly promoted 'Championship side 'like us.

Until a few days ago I was wishing that it was us instead of Dundee Utd that were looking forward to entertaining Barcelona ... blimey after the Torquay & FGR friendlies maybe its a good job we were'nt!

Ive heard Yeovil have asked the Bedminster youth team if they can play instead of them on Saturday. They feel it may be more of an accurate challenge for us.

As ive always said Jevon's is about as much use as a chocolate tea pot, bet the Gas are delighted they didn't sign him. If i was Johnson i would be threatening a few P45's around this morning.

As I say either buck up, or #### off.

Archived