IGNORED

Smoking Ban

Barrs Court Red

Against the blanket ban principally as I am anti-fascism. Does that ironically make me facist does anyone know?

However, the practice of it has been surprisingly more bitter-sweet than I ever invisaged.

On the one hand, I have interacted with a wider range of people (inc. the female variety) by having to relocate my body in order to feed my lungs.

On the other I have had to endure countless efforts by other more boring people who instead of attempting to engage with me in conversation about how piss poor the British Summer has been have instead attempted to try and engage with me in conversations about how rediculous it is that regularly the inside of the Pub is dead and the outside is kicking.

I've also taken to spending long periods sat down outside anthropologising, saves on the body relocating malarky.

You use the word choice but where is there choice to maintain what has been an acceptable part of life for millions. These people who hated smoking so much are not flocking to my locals all of which are experciencing serious loss in trade with one already looking like it is going to go bust.

I don't smoke and i certainly do not think it is right to affect the fabric of soceity for people who would not even enter my world anyway.

So if a few pubs do go out of buisness - so what? Pubs go out of buisness all the time and other ones open up. The arguement is not about that, its about the 'right' of smokers to impose thier passive smoke on non-smokers. Finally the Gov has made it illegal to smoke in pubs and about time as well.

As for "has been an acceptable part of life for millions" that really is bollux.Its only been the last 150 years or so that smoking has become popular with the masses and in the last 10 -15 years that the real health impact of passive smoking has become increasingly more high profile.

So if a few pubs do go out of buisness - so what? Pubs go out of buisness all the time and other ones open up. The arguement is not about that, its about the 'right' of smokers to impose thier passive smoke on non-smokers. Finally the Gov has made it illegal to smoke in pubs and about time as well.

As for "has been an acceptable part of life for millions" that really is bollux.Its only been the last 150 years or so that smoking has become popular with the masses and in the last 10 -15 years that the real health impact of passive smoking has become increasingly more high profile.

i know of a fair few decent local pubs that have closed down recently, however, i can't name one that has opened up to replace them mate. they usually shut down and get turned into flats, not new boozers.

More than a few pubs will go out of business.

Pubs are central to many lives and important and their existence is being put into danger by people who will not use them non smoking or not.

If there was such a demand for non smoking bars it would have been identified along time ago by a tough market, it ain't there.

It is acceptable part of life for millions which was fougt for by many. My grandfatHer enjoyed a smoke and a pint and offended no one and he earned it. I don't smoke but accept the freedom of others to do so and that of those who can go like myself to go elsewhere, called tolerance that one and i would not expect society to change for more either. Part of the cultutre of the working man smoking in apub and still should be if a person wishes.

Passive smoking? Use extractors works in the states or is it prejuduice?

If you are over weight you can't play any health card because you obviously don't care about your health either and your imposing your fatness on the NHS. Mind you may excersis everyday for twenty minutes like a good boy :innocent06:

Last week when i went to football a local pub by the ground lost out on selling 14 pints of lager bewteen two of us as we cant smoke in there, its now easier to get a cool bag and sit in the park, we had a few beers and smoked when we wanted - will probs be doing that until it gets cold then we have to rethink the plan but even if its 4 or 5 home matches its still a lot of lost revenue for somebody.

Archived