IGNORED

A Sheffield Wednesday View

The Man In Black

Well, after the game I decided to be diplomatic and not send gloating text messages to my Sheffield Wednesday supporting colleague. Plus I knew that the silence would be killing him. Anyway, he eventually sent me a text to say:

"You were very lucky"

I pointed out that their defence was shocking and needed sorting out. I also mentioned that if we can play like that and win I'm happy.

"Defence wasn't as good as it should be, but we had 3 clear penalties!"

I noted the biased commentary, and the fact that two of the so-called penalty shouts (Carey's "handball" and Watson falling over in the area) weren't even protested for by the Wednesday players. It was just the fact that Sky kept showing them over and over that he believed they were penalties. However, he responded with.......

"All clear cut, referee needs looking at"

Sour grapes? Maybe I rubbed it in by saying "well, if that's going to be your excuse for having no end product and ooh Basso having a stormer then so be it". A very drab reply of:

"Our strikers couldn't be bothered, your keeper had a good last ten minutes. Other than that we were over you for the most part"

Luckily I don't think that I'm on the same shift for him for a few days, he'll probably still be bitter for a while.

i got a bit pissed off with the wednesday love in after the match.

i thought that both there strikers were poor, both laked effort, only tudgays overhead kick was quality, they fell apart at ht till the subs.

as for us, mcindoes still done nothing for me and leej was very poor, other that that, very good, loads of effort and against a team like sheff wed, thats enough, sproule looked knackered from about the 40th min, our trundle sub was a bit baffling, enoch was injured yet we still took lt off, we should have waited 5 mins.

2 weeks off and right up there.

I thought that it was neither here nor there, and to be honest I would be the first to admit it otherwise.

It was a definate penalty but over the season I'm sure City will concede a 'dodgy' penalty at some point. Things like that tend to balance out over 46 games.

Anyway - even if the referee had awarded a pen there was no gaurentee that they would have scored it. People tend to forget that with penalties.

I noted the biased commentary, and the fact that two of the so-called penalty shouts (Carey's "handball" and Watson falling over in the area) weren't even protested for by the Wednesday players. It was just the fact that Sky kept showing them over and over that he believed they were penalties. However, he responded with.......

I noticed the same thing they couldnt say one good thing about us.

It was a definate penalty but over the season I'm sure City will concede a 'dodgy' penalty at some point. Things like that tend to balance out over 46 games.

Anyway - even if the referee had awarded a pen there was no gaurentee that they would have scored it. People tend to forget with penalties.

I thought all penalties were definite goals?? That's why Jevons 'only' scored 7 league goals last year. Isn't that the stick he gets hit with?!

Anyway - even if the referee had awarded a pen there was no gaurentee that they would have scored it. People tend to forget with penalties.

But then the red card might also have come out!!!

He was the last man denying a clear opportunity. I think we were lucky with that one, worked hard enough and got our just desserts.

I could throttle both Birtles and Kamara ( i used to like him but now - how dare he!!)

Anyway - even if the referee had awarded a pen there was no gaurentee that they would have scored it. People tend to forget that with penalties.

A direct free kick/penalty is given if the player deliberately handles the ball.

I would definitely put it more under the "clumsy" heading rather than deliberate. Carey was watching the ball, the Sheff Weds player stumbled and it all went a bit haywire.

i thought that both there strikers were poor, both laked effort, only tudgays overhead kick was quality, they fell apart at ht till the subs.

as for us, mcindoes still done nothing for me and leej was very poor, other that that, very good, loads of effort and against a team like sheff wed, thats enough, sproule looked knackered from about the 40th min, our trundle sub was a bit baffling, enoch was injured yet we still took lt off, we should have waited 5 mins.

I agree with that. I couldn't believe the Sheff Weds love in either. Right from the off, in the lead up to the match, all the focus was on them with only a little snippet of us. As for Gary Birtles, well what can I say? The bloke is an absolute idiot. I noticed he was far from complimentary for our efforts against Man City and I was very unimpressed by the post-match analysis as well. Not once did anyone on the panel or commentary praise our defence, which deserved commending IMO. The whole back five deserved massive plaudits for keeping wave after wave of attacks but they still said nothing.

The Carey incident was a pen but I don't think it was deliberate. It seemed to me that he was stretching to get a head to the ball but just couldn't make it and it landed on his arm. The thing that baffled me was GJ's substitutions. I couldn't understand taking Trundle off when Enoch was in pain and the same could be said for Skuse replacing him. Putting Murray up front on his own was bemusing. I would've brought on Vasko and played up front just for a bit of strength and height, like GJ did with McCombe at times last season. At least that would've releived the pressure. Luckily, it didn't cost us.

My word, I'm going to get sick of saying it, so I'll just copy and paste the laws of association football directly:

Direct Free Kick

A direct free kick is awarded to the opposing team if a player commits any of the following six offences in a manner considered by the referee to be careless, reckless or using excessive force:

* kicks or attempts to kick an opponent

* trips or attempts to trip an opponent

* jumps at an opponent

* charges an opponent

* strikes or attempts to strike an opponent

* pushes an opponent

A direct free kick is also awarded to the opposing team if a player commits any of the following four offences:

* tackles an opponent to gain possession of the ball, making contact with the opponent before touching the ball

* holds an opponent

* spits at an opponent

* handles the ball deliberately (except for the goalkeeper within his own penalty area)

* A direct free kick is taken from where the offence occurred.

Penalty Kick

A penalty kick is awarded if any of the above ten offences is committed by a player inside his own penalty area, irrespective of the position of the ball, provided it is in play.

If you don't think it is deliberate, why do you want to award a penalty?

My word, I'm going to get sick of saying it, so I'll just copy and paste the laws of association football directly:

If you don't think it is deliberate, why do you want to award a penalty?

Most refs/linesmen would have given it and I would have been equally as disapointed as Sheff Wed if it had of been the other way round. Face it, Carey go himself into a mess and handled it.

I had to travel to Huddersfield today and couldn't get to the game but had BBC Radio Sheffield on in the car.

Before the game the Wednesday boss stated he'd settle for a scrappy 1-0 win, whilst fans who were interviewed predicted a 2-1 or even 3-1 win for the home team "as this is a game we must win". Someone also mentioned Trundle will be kicked as he doesn't like the physical stuff.

Once the game began the commentators were more one sided than I'd have expected. "Carey clearly habdled in the area there" and when later a free kick was awarded to City, " the ball hit his chest, only the ref thinks the Wednesday player used his arm to control the ball". When a goal kick was awarded to City "That shot was clearly defected by a defender, so should be a corner. Referees do themselves no favours with decisions like that". In their post match summary no mention of the only goal, just that Wednesday had a stone wall nailed on penalty turned down and six shots scrambled off the line.

Best bit for me was heading home and passing Sheffield on the M1 to hear on Radio 5 "Bristol City are top of the Championship having won at Sheffield Wednesday today". Yes I did wind the window down and repeat that rather loudly!

spot on Leady, in all aspects. Only rteason Enoch even played (such as it was) was cos the other three stikers were injured/not match fit.

Oh and the Carey penalty was. the others werent.

which one is Gary Birtles?

the muppet who co-commentates on the game. on most football league games on sky. spends the entire 90 minutes moaning about how players "should do better". and he bloody hates us - you know why? because he's a forest fan, and he cant take it that the former giants of english football got beaten to promotion by little bristol city. the blokes got a serious thing against us, and its so nice seeing us rub his nose in it. total w*****r

bristol city - 3rd in the championship with one of the best managers outside england's top flight.

nottingham forest - 18th in league one with colin "bristol city will come unstuck this weekend" calderwood.

cheer up mr birtles :whistle2:

the muppet who co-commentates on the game. on most football league games on sky. spends the entire 90 minutes moaning about how players "should do better". and he bloody hates us - you know why? because he's a forest fan, and he cant take it that the former giants of english football got beaten to promotion by little bristol city. the blokes got a serious thing against us, and its so nice seeing us rub his nose in it. total w*****r

bristol city - 3rd in the championship with one of the best managers outside england's top flight.

nottingham forest - 18th in league one with colin "bristol city will come unstuck this weekend" calderwood.

Blokes a ######. Didnt know why some of you were moaning about him after the Man City game as i was there so couldnt hear the commentry, but after yesterday, he should be replaced with someone who is actually going to be impartial. don't they normally have someone with a connection to both teams in the studio aswell? Andy Hinchecliffe was there for Wednesday but where was our representative?

P.S. I thought they couldve had 2 penalties but they werent given, and we are 3rd in the championship. COME ON YOU REDS!

he made i laugh on saturday.

firstly with the carey incident, the first thing birtles said was its not a penalty, then after seeing the replay 2 of 3 times said it should of been a penalty and the ref should of gave it. did he forget he said no pen on first reaction and then had the benifit of the replays to say otherwise?

secondly, the other hand ball incident when the wednesday hand balled it in our area from a corner. the linesman put his flag up and birles was saying the ref should of spoke to him and gave a penalty. then they showed the replay about 5 times clearly showing the wednesday player handled it and not a city player, and still he went on about the linesman should of kept his flag up and spoke to the ref to give a penalty!!! unbelievable! the linesman flagged cus if the ball had gone in it would of been ruled out for hand ball.

absolute muppet

he made i laugh on saturday.

firstly with the carey incident, the first thing birtles said was its not a penalty, then after seeing the replay 2 of 3 times said it should of been a penalty and the ref should of gave it. did he forget he said no pen on first reaction and then had the benifit of the replays to say otherwise?

secondly, the other hand ball incident when the wednesday hand balled it in our area from a corner. the linesman put his flag up and birles was saying the ref should of spoke to him and gave a penalty. then they showed the replay about 5 times clearly showing the wednesday player handled it and not a city player, and still he went on about the linesman should of kept his flag up and spoke to the ref to give a penalty!!! unbelievable! the linesman flagged cus if the ball had gone in it would of been ruled out for hand ball.

absolute muppet

I was screaming blue murder at the telly at this point such was my anger at it. Absolute joke. After eseeing the first replay it was obvious why the ref had blown.

Birtles = complete tool.

Stewart

I was screaming blue murder at the telly at this point such was my anger at it. Absolute joke. After eseeing the first replay it was obvious why the ref had blown.

Birtles = complete tool.

Stewart

Made I larf when they said

"lets have a look at the shots at goal ratio"

(obviously to help underline their current discussion about Wed's total domination of the game)

Low and behold the caption said

Sheff Wed - 10 shots

City - 8 shots

"oh" was the comment - "though it was more"

Onlt two blinkin difference.....

Archived