IGNORED

Johnson And Trundle.

Seend Red

I'm sorry guys but too many on here are making excuses for Lee Trundle. How many games is it going to take for Lee to prove his worth? After 5 games, after 7, now it's 12/15 before we see the best from him! I'm sorry, thats just not good enough.

Yes, I am overjoyed with our start, but the longer this goes on, the more it's going to effect the fringe players as they watch a player who constantly under performs, and still is the first 11. The problem is, LT23's rep has followed him from Swansea, he has a long way to go before he can earn that with Bristol City FC.

Fancy flicks, nutmegs, and taking two defenders out of the game frankly is not good enough if there is no end result. He was brought to the club to score goals; and he needs to start doing that soon. The problem is, who do you replace him with. No-one seems to like Jevo, no thinks Enoch is good enough for this league. What Lee needs is competition and I think that if Brooker gets himself fit, it might be the kick up the arse that LT23 needs. If Brooker doesn't fully recover, I think we need to look at a loan signing or another addition in January.

I hope Lee proves me wrong, trust me, I would be happy if he did and eat humble pie but as each game passes, I am less confident. It is just a matter of time before fans will turn on him.

As for Lee Johnson, give the guy a ######ing break! Maybe he's just adjusting just like trunds.

so who set up the goal v blackpool and who got us 3 points v s****horpe and who set up the winner v sheffied weds oh yeah LT23 ok hes only scored 2 in 7 but if we keep going like this whos gives a ****!!!!

Totally agree too, Daddy needs to see that Jr isn't being effective and rest him, make him fight for a place. If he is prepared to risk Vasco up front for 10-15 mins then maybe play him as a defensive midfielder and play skuse with him to roam around. I like Trundle as a player (although poss' the single most frustrating player under the sun in regards to ambling/brilliance), however, he isn't being given a decent supply or any time on the ball. Being the high profile summer signing he was it was obvious he was always going to be tightly marked, therefor, we need to utilise players around him to finish or rest him. I agree he is uneffective but what the hell is up with the rest of team not trying to shoot but to literally pass the ball into the net?? For me today against Burnley our true man of the match (even though he didn't score 2 goals) was Liam Fontaine. He worked his socks off for the right to pull on the shirt next week, last season i have to admit at times i was poss one of his biggest critics but fair play to the guy he has proved me wrong and i am at the point now where i am pleased to admit it. :clapping:

Anyone else take a draw away at PNE?

Before today I was advocating using two holding players in midfield replacing Johnson with Skuse. However, apart from those two mistakes, Johnson played a very energetic game today, driving us forward and spreading play excellently in the second half, which fired our revival from 0-1 down, against a team that defended deep. You're right about Lee's tackling, it was a vast improvement on previous performances.

Johnson gave the ball away FIVE times in his OWN half in the first 45 minutes. Not lost the ball to a good challenge, just totally gave it away.

I'm sorry guys but too many on here are making excuses for Lee Trundle. How many games is it going to take for Lee to prove his worth? After 5 games, after 7, now it's 12/15 before we see the best from him! I'm sorry, thats just not good enough.

It's nothing to do with excuses for me, it's bloody obvious from watching Lee Trundle that playing as the target man is not his strength and if that's what we're going to do with him it's a waste of money. Every time he has the ball at his feet facing goal he looks dangerous. Every time he has the ball on his chest facing away from goal with two defenders in his back he looks poor. When we play him with Byfield or Brooker you will notice the difference I'm sure.

I can understand why GJ didn't take him off, not nepotism but the proven fact that he can turn a game, but we need to have an alternative and it isn't Skuse.

What about Russell, always very steady, doesn't make many errors, get him back. Whats the point of giving him a contract and then shipping him out?

Bloody hell by reading this forum you would think we were bottom of the league. But the truth is we are a newly promoted side and sit in 4th place tonight behind 3 ex prem teams who are still receiving parachute payments and are also one of only 5 clubs in the entire football league who are still unbeaten. Anyone would have taken that before the start of the season. It could be worse we could be in Sheff Wednesday's position.

As for Trundle and Lee Johnson I'm fed up of going to games and hearing our own fans' abusing them. Yes as paying customers we have a right to let a player know they are not playing well, But personally myself if I see a player not performing well then I try to offer him more encouragement. Encouragement is always better than abuse in my book.

Trundle is still settling in at Bristol City and to life in the Championship. People forget that he has never played at this level before. Some players take longer to adjust than others.

We have seen glimpses of what Trunds can do but I don't feel he is yet fully match fit nor has his match sharpness. When that comes we shall see the best of him.

Our fans' are sometimes to quick to jump on a players back. There is no player in this world that can play there 100% best week in week out.

We are now a small fish in a small pond and I feel some of our fans' have failed to realise that. In league One we expected to win near enough every game and rightly so, However in this league that is not the case, Yet some fans' still think we have a divine right to win.

Firstly, I agree that Trundle did not have a great game yesterday. He didn't win anything in the air, but have we not worked out that banging the ball up to him and Sproule isn't really going to get us anywhere?

Thought he put a couple of great balls in during the first half though and was a bit unlucky that a few things didn't quite come off for him during the game.

Clearly, other managers have marked him out as the danger man and he is getting a lot of attention from defenders, with them usually doubling up on him. A lot of the time this is meaning he is getting robbed of the ball before he even has time to get it under control. He is in the Championship now, so needs to get used to it.

This must be creating space for other players around him though.............?

To say that he should be dropped or isn't good enough for this level is premature to say the least.

His control and weight of pass is absolutely sublime and I thought he had a good game against West Brom on Tuesday night where a couple of times in the second half he bamboozled their defenders.

I'm enjoying watching him, I've spent too many years watching comedy strikers down at the Gate and it makes a change to see someone who can actually play football.

Of course, on this forum we must have a scapegoat, be it Lee Johnson or whoever, now we have another one.

There were a few players who had poor games yesterday, not just Trundle.

Also, is it me or does he never seem to get anything from referee's in terms of fouls against him ?

Who scored the bloody winner at Sheffield, who scored the equailizer at Blackpool??

if trundle didnt have the ball there would have been no goal at BLACKPOOL and SHEFFIED WEDS don't worry soon be saturday so u can slag em off again try getting behind the team people like u will never be happy :disapointed2se:

Well I actually thought Johnson had one of his better games this season, yesterday. Opinions eh?

As for Trundle? I am also starting to have doubts. It's not just that he isn't scoring, he doesn't even look like scoring. Twice yesterday he picked the ball up on the edge of the area but was forced, by good defending, onto his right side and he just can't get a shot off. Burnley did a job on him yesterday, no doubt. I'm no convinced he can cut it in this league. Early days though

Two seperate players so we'll deal with them seperately.

Johnson, shame he made a sloppy mistake for the first goal, because up until that point he was outstanding. Spraying good balls around, and didn't give the ball away once. After the first goal his head went down, but still did ok, workrate was much improved. Paniced into conceding a corner at the death which was avoidable. 6/10

Trundle, was very poor even on the rare occassions that we gave him the ball in the right areas. I still have faith in him, he hasn't lost in a bristol city shirt, and think the pairing with Byfield can work, but he needs to produce much much more of a spark. Almost like playing with ten at times. 5/10

Good points and with others have provided a fair summary - I thought Johnson showed some excellent passes and actually got into a few more tackles than usual. Trundle, well a lot of his work goes unnoticed - he is doing some excellent hold up play, passes and running off the ball. Unfortunately as others have pointed out, we played it in the air and long too often, how is that going to help Trundle and Sproule.

For me the one player who probably needs replacing is Sproule, I have yet to see him really spark - not yet convinced he is a front man and McIndoe, Murray and Wilson are better bets on the wing. Thought he had a bad day yesterday and for me Murray should have been on in his place once Byfield came on up front.

I think Trunds is still coming to terms with Championship football, and he needs encouragement, not slaughtering.

I think where he can improve massively, is when he recieves the ball and turns, he always tries to dribble a yard or so, and more often than not at the moment, loses the ball, as defenders are more cute at this level.

If he can turn and get a shot off straight away, he has the skill to still hit 20 goals, and with confidence and our fans behind him, he can still be a hero, he just needs a bit of confidence in himself.

My biggest gripe with L.J. is his bloody size !

I thought it was amusing yesterday, when he was surrounded by about 4 Burnley palyers, who were all at least a foot taller than him.

Truth is, he's got the best pass rate stats in the team, but I'd love him to have a more physical presence to his game, but it just ain't going to happen is it ?

Thing is City are 4th in the table, a position beyond all our wildest dreams, before a ball was kicked.

So until we are 4th from bottom, people have to get behind them all, and give them the confidence to perform.

Marvin Elliott is God.

Noticed something about Johnson recently.

He isnt getting forward. Yesterday, he gets the ball from defense, and rather than turn and play some balls, he just returned it then jogged on.

Leaving the defence to just hoof it.

If our playmaker isnt making the play, then the football as a spectacle will be shite, which it was.

Johnson gave the ball away FIVE times in his OWN half in the first 45 minutes. Not lost the ball to a good challenge, just totally gave it away.

It's nothing to do with excuses for me, it's bloody obvious from watching Lee Trundle that playing as the target man is not his strength and if that's what we're going to do with him it's a waste of money. Every time he has the ball at his feet facing goal he looks dangerous. Every time he has the ball on his chest facing away from goal with two defenders in his back he looks poor. When we play him with Byfield or Brooker you will notice the difference I'm sure.

So it's the managers fault then that Lee Trundle is not playing well??? Surely GJ should be telling the players then to play it into his feet, if you can see it, why can't he?

To get the best out of Trundle we need to get the ball to his feet not use him as a target man for long balls. If we contiue to pump long balls forward we might as well play Vasco from the start up front.

Lee Johnson was at fault for the first goal and unfortunate for the second. He needs competition for his place which he will hopefully get when Noble is fit.

Both players are doing OK in the only unbeaten team in the league. Use him correctly and Trundle is class and will score/set up loads of goals for us.

Noticed something about Johnson recently.

He isnt getting forward. Yesterday, he gets the ball from defense, and rather than turn and play some balls, he just returned it then jogged on.

Leaving the defence to just hoof it.

If our playmaker isnt making the play, then the football as a spectacle will be shite, which it was.

Well when he does try to play a defence splitting ball and the defender intercepts it, people slag him off and say "LJ gave the ball away AGAIN, drop him!"

Its pathetic. TWO mistakes Saturday, apart from that he had a good game. Christ i would hate to imagine what some of you lot would be like if we were in Sheffield Wednesday's position.

We are getting praise left right and centre around the country in the media. Even Chris Kamara predicted us to be "there or there abouts" at the end of the season!

I really hope that some of the players read this forum to see some of the comments made so they can go out and shut all of the moaners up!

Well when he does try to play a defence splitting ball and the defender intercepts it, people slag him off and say "LJ gave the ball away AGAIN, drop him!"

Its pathetic. TWO mistakes Saturday, apart from that he had a good game. Christ i would hate to imagine what some of you lot would be like if we were in Sheffield Wednesday's position.

We are getting praise left right and centre around the country in the media. Even Chris Kamara predicted us to be "there or there abouts" at the end of the season!

I really hope that some of the players read this forum to see some of the comments made so they can go out and shut all of the moaners up!

Well said that man! :clapping:

Moaning or an opinion on Trundle & Johnson? You say Johnson played well on Saturday apart from his mistakes, those mistakes cost us goals which cost us points. Trundle was not effective for the 1st to the 90th minute. Why is it because we've started well we just have to settle for that and not look to improve? I genuinely believe with a few changes to the side we could do something in this league as Ive not been overly impressed with what Ive see of our oppenents.Apart from WBA and Watford this league will be wide open-Let's show some ambition to go even further, why settle for what we have just because we didn't expect so do as well as we are?

I can only speak for myself when I say I'm not slagging players off, I just think some are struggling to come to terms with life in the CCC, both could possibly do with a rest and a place on the bench v PNE.

Whats wrong with that?

Trundle seems to be a one trick pony. Defenders in the championship seem to have done their homework and know that if they stand behind him and don't let him turn on to his left foot he is knackered. Unless this pony learns another trick I fear that the occasional good lay off will not be enough.

Dissappointed with him recently.

Moaning or an opinion on Trundle & Johnson? You say Johnson played well on Saturday apart from his mistakes, those mistakes cost us goals which cost us points. Trundle was not effective for the 1st to the 90th minute. Why is it because we've started well we just have to settle for that and not look to improve? I genuinely believe with a few changes to the side we could do something in this league as Ive not been overly impressed with what Ive see of our oppenents.Apart from WBA and Watford this league will be wide open-Let's show some ambition to go even further, why settle for what we have just because we didn't expect so do as well as we are?

I can only speak for myself when I say I'm not slagging players off, I just think some are struggling to come to terms with life in the CCC, both could possibly do with a rest and a place on the bench v PNE.

Whats wrong with that?

Moaning mainly. I agree that Trundle didnt have a good game. He probably knows that himself without City fans moaning about him.

You say about the 2 mistakes that Johnson made costing us 2 points. Think back to last season, how many points did he gain for us? Huddersfield at home instantly springs to mind when he got an equaliser in the last minute with a cracking goal. He's also popped up with crucial goals at crucial times in various other games. Not just goals though, assists aswell. Boro at home, among quite a few others.

I would play Turndle up front with Byfield from the start on saturday with Sproule on the right. Johnson will play centre midfield because no one else is fit that can play there. Noble isnt even match fit enough to make the bench let alone start so he wont be starting for about another month at least.

Whats wrong with that?

Why fix it if its not BROKE???????????????????????

Sums up this forum nicely.

You make an observation from a footballing point of view and get lambasted by some happy clappy ''Lets get behind the boys'' rant.

If you bothered to work out why we played poorly on Sat you might have noticed the lack of creativity in midfield.

Sums up this forum nicely.

You make an observation from a footballing point of view and get lambasted by some happy clappy ''Lets get behind the boys'' rant.

If you bothered to work out why we played poorly on Sat you might have noticed the lack of creativity in midfield.

The reason we played "poorly" and "lacked creativity in midfield" was because Burnley came down, played 5 in defence, and sometimes had 8 men behind the ball, and played for a point. It was like playing a League 1 game again against a team like Chesterfield. When Sproule switched to the wing we looked lively as they didnt know how to deal with his pace and cutting in. Especially wih Byfield up front the defenders had 2 good strikers to deal with.

The reason we played "poorly" and "lacked creativity in midfield" was because Burnley came down, played 5 in defence, and sometimes had 8 men behind the ball, and played for a point. It was like playing a League 1 game again against a team like Chesterfield. When Sproule switched to the wing we looked lively as they didnt know how to deal with his pace and cutting in. Especially wih Byfield up front the defenders had 2 good strikers to deal with.

Well thats not how I saw it.

If they had 5 in defense, and Gray and Blake up front, how many did they have in midfield, 3?

Because they overan ours with ease, despite that being the weakness in their team.

Well thats not how I saw it.

If they had 5 in defense, and Gray and Blake up front, how many did they have in midfield, 3?

Because they overan ours with ease, despite that being the weakness in their team.

If the Burnley midfield over-ran ours with ease, how was it that they only had 43% possession to our 57% ?

If the Burnley midfield over-ran ours with ease, how was it that they only had 43% possession to our 57% ?

That's what i was thinking aswell. I thought we couldve/shouldve won the game but we werent convincing. Wasnt really that impressed with Burnley and, to be honest, the only team that i've seen this season that's impressed me is West Brom. All the others IE, Charlton, Watford, Leicester, Wolves etc havent really impressed me much.

Moaning mainly. I agree that Trundle didnt have a good game. He probably knows that himself without City fans moaning about him.

So we agree- How long do you give him before you change it?

You say about the 2 mistakes that Johnson made costing us 2 points. Think back to last season, how many points did he gain for us? Huddersfield at home instantly springs to mind when he got an equaliser in the last minute with a cracking goal. He's also popped up with crucial goals at crucial times in various other games. Not just goals though, assists aswell. Boro at home, among quite a few others.

I agree he played well in parts LAST SEASON! That's irrelevant now, same goes for Trundle,scored two corkers against Scunny but he can't live of this for the rest of the season, your only as good as your last performance giles, harsh maybe but thats professional sport. Consistency is key if we're to do well at this level.

I would play Turndle up front with Byfield from the start on saturday with Sproule on the right. Johnson will play centre midfield because no one else is fit that can play there. Noble isnt even match fit enough to make the bench let alone start so he wont be starting for about another month at least.

You can play whoever you like up top with Trundle as I don't think choice of strike partner will make a great deal of difference. I'd I agree the team probably hasn't played to his strengths all the time but the few times did does receive it to feet he just looks so predictable and get stripped of the ball all to easily.

Archived