IGNORED

Tonight's Lesson

Nibor

was apparently called "How to make the hardest work possible out of the best start you've had all season" and it was definitely a masterclass.

We started with energy, shutting down Southampton all over the pitch, slicing through them at will and looking every bit like we were going to hammer them. We even started the hammering, with a nice bit of poaching off a fantastic corner ball and then a scintillating solo effort from Ivan who ran more than half of the length of the pitch before cutting in and slotting it from 18 yards with his left. Great goal though it was if I was Burley I'd have entered the field of play to stick one on my left back for the worst bit of defending I've seen - he must have backed off 40 yards. With everything going so well and a proper tonking looking to be on the cards for Saints, we seemed to decide that we'd done enough and simply stopped playing. Completely.

Carey went off with a broken nose so we didn't have anyone out there handing out the necessary bollockings. And as the game went on they became more and more necessary. Noble got a knock and stopped passing forwards and he had really looked a little off his game before that anyway. The midfield stopped closing down in their half and started walking about as though they'd won - even Elliott to an extent which surprised me. McCombe and Orr started making uncharacteristic basic errors and Jamie McAllister forgot that the thing on the end of his right leg is also a foot.

Still, we made it to half time intact and I thought a rocket from Johnson during the interval would fix things and we'd be looking at a comfortable win. Nope. Instead Noble had to retire early in the second half and was replaced by Murray, who wonderful though he is simply doesn't fit into the hole in our 4-4-1-1 because instead of keeping the ball his instinct is to turn and run with it. Really I think Trundle would have been a better option to do that job because he's the only player we have with similar skill with the ball at his feet to Noble.

As the second half wore on we defended deeper and deeper and more and more shakily, the passes got longer and longer and the crowd got edgier and edgier. Southampton had a bit more purpose about them but it was us handing them the initiative not them taking it. The forgone conclusion of a goal to Southampton finally occurred just 10 minutes in and already most people were glancing at the clock. The predictable introduction of Skuse who, to be fair to him, did mix it up quite a bit and inject some energy, happened with 20 minutes left and we moved yet further backwards.

In fact the only surprising thing about the game after half time was that we managed to win it. Without the little boost we seemed to get 10 minutes from time when the crowd decided they'd had enough and got behind the team with a few resounding choruses that seemed to get them to think about attacking and closing down again I think we probably would have lost. Southampton fans must be quite dejected having outplayed us for an hour and still lost, but their defending was awful enough to be the reason for that happy circumstance.

To rub salt into their wounds Southampton had a sending off near the end to contend with too. Safri lunged in late and with both feet catching Elliott, a nailed on booking at least. As the ref came over so did Lee Johnson who obviously had a few choice things to say that Safri didn't like because the Morroccan decided to slap the back of Johnson Junior's head. Don't let the inevitable moaning from Saints fans kid you, that was always going to get him sent off as it was in full view of the ref, but the little girlie touch of falling on the floor holding his head from LJ that caused his ex Hearts manager to blank him so completely after 90 minutes really wasn't needed. Please cut that out.

All in all, tonight we put in quite a poor performance and yet still ended up with three points out of a game that before the season kicked off most people would have thought would be very tough. That bodes very well and we did as GJ says put our bodies on the line defending the lead. But I can't help thinking from the way we seemed to lose confidence that perhaps the players have started to get a tiny little bit aware of the league table, and I hope they sort that out for Saturday. The injuries didn't help but the side that played against Sheff Utd and the first 20 minutes of this game would have put six past Southampton, so please lads just forget the league table and just enjoy each game like the boss says.

won 2-1 second in league stop moaning suppose you would of been happier if we were second from bottom what a win what a season lets enjoy it while it lasts and long may it last!

Dearie me, all I posted was some thoughts about the game - positives and negatives. Why do you think it's moaning or I'd be happy with us in a relegation spot?

Did you have any thoughts about the game or did you just want to make a random silly comment?

Lesson:

When you are playing against a team pressing you into your own half, attempting to play a 6'0" striker as a lone target man vs. John Viafara is not the way to go about things.

When you are playing 4-5-1 with David Noble instrumental to the formation, attempting to make a straight swap for Scott Murray is not advised. Playing a flat 4-4-2 with Trundle & Byfield or even Sproule & Byfield would have worked better.

Almost seems like a BB match report Nibor. Is this allowed on this forum? ;)

I agree with most of it. Heard a Southampton fan on FiveLive saying how lucky we were. It seems the more we play, the luckier we get :D

I detected a sight degree of tension in the team. McAllister, Noble and Carey all got knocks and we can't afford to lose any of them. Murray was woeful when he came on and I agree Trundle was the more obvious replacement.

One point you haven't made is how awful the referee was. I have never known leniency like it. In fairness, he was awful for both teams.

You all make it sound like GJ had a choice with his subs!!!

Carey and Noble Inj, had to leave the field!

You are saying we should have change our whole shape to 442, to benefit Soton??

If we had gone to 442, they would have killed us off in the middle of the park and we would all be in bed moaning in our sleep right now!

Apart from LJ incident where did he moan? Everyone is delighted we are 2nd.

most of the way through pretty much every paragraph had negative points lets enjoy the win and look a the positives yes it wasnt the best performance but we won which is the main thing and wer in second position happy days!!

You all make it sound like GJ had a choice with his subs!!!

Carey and Noble Inj, had to leave the field!

You are saying we should have change our whole shape to 442, to benefit Soton??

If we had gone to 442, they would have killed us off in the middle of the park and we would all be in bed moaning in our sleep right now!

I think if we wanted to keep a man advantage in midfield we could have either brought on Skuse for Noble and gone 451 or Trundle and asked him to play deeper than usual.

Either would have IMO been better than Murray because Murray is a player who needs to run at people and likes the ball in behind, he's not the sort of player that wants the ball at feet in tight spots to link play.

I'd have gone for Trundle personally, and I don't think even if we'd gone 442 would anything have killed us in the middle of the park as much as allowing Southampton to walk the ball to out final third unchallenged and then hoofing it in Byfield's general direction for an hour did.

Tonight's lesson is simple and can be summed up in five words:

'Don't let Noble get injured!'

Basically, we were great in the first half and should have won the game more comfortably. As soon as he went off at the start of the second, we were left with Johnson and McCombe hitting long balls up to Byfield (the same problem we had before Noble came back and we were hitting long balls up to Trundle). We also decided that two goals was more than enough to win a football match and that defending on the edge of our penalty area was a good idea...

I wonder why Trundle wasn't used instead of Murray. I can understand the work rate issue but i would've thought that ball retention would have been more important.

Hope the journo's ask that question as to GJ's thinking.

Caus i'd be very tempted to use LT23 in the slightly deeper Nobles role if he's fit enough to work for it.

I wonder why Trundle wasn't used instead of Murray. I can understand the work rate issue but i would've thought that ball retention would have been more important.

Caus i'd be very tempted to use LT23 in the slightly deeper Nobles role if he's fit enough to work for it.

Everyone sat around me was asking the same question; Murray gave the ball away far too much when he came on. Trundle's ball retention skills would have been far more effective instead.

Have to say RH, I thought the same. It does worry me how important Nobes is and the fact that we don't have any backup for him. Can Trunds play his role? Don't know the answer but I would hope so. One thing is clear, Scotty cannot!

A question, why didn't we just go 4-4-2? we know all our squad can play that way!

We won though, so we aint doing too bad eh!

U REDS

Tonight's lesson is simple, Most teams in this division have cost millions of pounds to build and we will not dominate games against these teams. But we are competing and making a bloody good job of it. 12 games in 1 defeat 2nd in the table. :Believe:

The Voice of Sanity...

What is wrong with some people..Are there lives so ###### up they have nothing to do but moan or dress up there orange anorak commentary as insight into whats happening on the park.

Substitutions were made because of the injuries incurred.....!

Southampton came at us because they are a multi talented multi million pound team who wanted to win

We still won....

The manager yet again has done the right thing...Defend the goal and win the match

Anyone that says or implies criticism that Gary Johnson did the wrong thing tonight has probably never in there life ever been subjected to any sought of pressure....Get the result...Move on to Stoke at home on Saturday...And ENJOY BEING SECOND

• Admin
The Voice of Sanity...

What is wrong with some people..Are there lives so ###### up they have nothing to do but moan or dress up there orange anorak commentary as insight into whats happening on the park.

Southampton came at us because they are a multi talented multi million pound team who wanted to win

We still won....

The manager yet again has done the right thing...Defend the goal and win the match

Anyone that says or implies criticism that Gary Johnson did the wrong thing tonight has probably never in there life ever been subjected to any sought of pressure....Get the result...Move on to Stoke at home on Saturday...And ENJOY BEING SECOND

A mistake committed under pressure is still a mistake though. I don't see any problem in calling a spade a spade.

.....and just because someone may have felt Johnson erred on an occasion does not mean that person also thinks Johnson is a bad manager or should move on. For example, tonight I thought Trundle would have been far better suited to the role in the hole and it was a mistake by GJ to put Murray in that role instead but at the same time I believe Johnson is the best manager I've been fortunate enough to witness at Ashton Gate and wouldn't wish to swap him for anyone else.

Everyone sat around me was asking the same question; Murray gave the ball away far too much when he came on. Trundle's ball retention skills would have been far more effective instead.

The biggest question mark hanging over LT23 is his ball retention skills, isn't it?

A mistake committed under pressure is still a mistake though. I don't see any problem in calling a spade a spade.

.....and just because someone may have felt Johnson erred on an occasion does not mean that person also thinks Johnson is a bad manager or should move on. For example, tonight I thought Trundle would have been far better suited to the role in the hole and it was a mistake by GJ to put Murray in that role instead but at the same time I believe Johnson is the best manager I've been fortunate enough to witness at Ashton Gate and wouldn't wish to swap him for anyone else.

I take your point however...Winning football matches consistantly is not a mistake...the spade is we won and I'm happy to call it.

I'm not sure what you mean when you say "and just because someone may have felt Johnson erred on an occasion does not mean that person also thinks Johnson is a bad manager or should move on"....I didn't say it or imply it... My point is a mistake was not made if the result is a home win against a very good side and commentary made in some areas reads to me and others (like the post I replied to) like pointless criticism

Regarding your point about Murray in the hole. Murray is a more adaptable player and the manager will play him in roles where other individuals on a one to one basis are better because if formation changes are forced Murray can play on the wing or even Full Back...With all the Best Wishes in the world Lee can not....The art of management is to make those difficult decisiions whilst trying to think of as many future scenarios as possible.

I would contend Murray is a far better utility player than Trundle and that is why he played and I would defy anyone to tell me that I'm wrong

Lets not forget Nobes has only been back for 3-4 games now. Yes he is a key player but we did do fantastically well without him for the first part of the season. He will be missed on Sat if he doesn't recover in time, But wont be missed as much as he would be if he had been playing all season.

Carey and his broken nose is a strange one because he could be back as early as sat or could be out for a couple of weeks. All all depends how swollen it is and if they have been able to assess the damage to his nose. If he doesn't make it on sat then he will be missed more than Noble without a doubt.

I was disappointed with our fans to some extent tonight, Our backs were really against the wall and our fans' just sat there is silence. I would have liked for us to get behind the team and urge them on. It wasn't until late in the game when this happened.

I really thought after our first two goals we were going to go on and win 4 nil or something, However the injuries to Carey and Nobes ruined that and it was real back to the walls stuff. We were lucky. A draw would have been a fair result but then a good team is a team who can play bad and still win. Games like last nights really makes the difference at the end of the season.

I too was surprised that Murray came on instead of Trundle, I would agree with Nibor, LT23 would be a good choice to maybe fill the position Noble left. If he is not fit by Saturday, do you think GJ will play trundle in his position or revert back to the 4-4-2?

Great result, can't wait to see sproules goal, sounded special!

Dearie me, all I posted was some thoughts about the game - positives and negatives. Why do you think it's moaning or I'd be happy with us in a relegation spot?

Now you know how it feels!

Your match assessment is pretty much how I saw it but I would ask the question that had it been a Saints player who reacted to 'tap' in the way Lee Johnson did how would we all react?

The reason Trundle never came on is because we wanted to play the counter attack, as It was pace that wass getting us in behind them!

Murray was there, to wait for any mistakes and then pounce.

Trundle would have been ineffective at that stage of the game, so would have been an even worse replacement!

The reason Trundle never came on is because we wanted to play the counter attack, as It was pace that wass getting us in behind them!

And maybe something to do with the fact that we had had to make 2 somewhat forced substitutions due to Louis and Nobles injuries, and so the final substitution was to shore up the defence/midfield by throwing Skuse on (who did a good job I have to say) instead of trying to nick another goal.

Murray was there, to wait for any mistakes and then pounce.

Trundle would have been ineffective at that stage of the game, so would have been an even worse replacement!

Well, I disagree. Noble isn't particularly quick - I'd say Trundle was quicker myself - and if the ball keeps coming back as it was then retaining it in their half would be more important to me.

The Voice of Sanity...

We still won....

What a very strange post.

Is your life so ###### up that you have nothing better to do than moan about a post on the internet about a game I'm assuming you didn't even see?

Substitutions made because of injuries yes, but the wrong player was brought in IN MY OPINION. Which is, after all, what this forum is for.

If you saw the match you would have to say that defending the goal for an hour was the wrong thing and the primary reason we won was because Southampton's multi million pound strikers missed chance after chance. They had 16 shots on goal, we had 4.

How does having an opinion on what choice GJ made tonight mean I've never been under pressure exactly? That makes no sense whatsoever.

Why do you think that a post which simply gives some thoughts on a match in which most people would say we played poorly means that I'm not delighted with our league position or the result?

It's pretty simple. We're doing great. Last night we played poorly and still got a result. This thread is about last night's game. Therefore there aren't lots of words devoted to how great the previous 11 games were. Why is that complicated?

Archived