IGNORED

Absolutely Appalled

Dan Of The Dolman

I'm simply pointing out that there is at least one possible circumstance that would put the whole incident in a different light. In fact there are countless possible explanations.

I'm not condemning anyone or recommending he face a ban or get put in prison, it would be wrong to do that because I know absolutely nothing about what went on.

It's not a question of to what degree you speculate, it's a question of not leaping to conclusions when presented with bugger all information.

With the greatest of respect, i think you are leaping to the conclusion that the elderly gent must have done something to deserve being assualted.

So you think compassion is not warranted to the elderly man who had his head punched several times - think about - you are a relative of the elderly gentleman who gets punched in the head and you come and read these boards and instead of seeing the compassion and the "hope he gets better" remarks that one might expect is treated to a gob full of how we should defend the rights of a man who has demonstrated that he is capable of violance. Think about it you seem to like to want to here about civil liberties - go take a look at what Martin Luther said about compassion...

I'm not arguing against compassion for the gentleman that was hurt. I hope he gets well, that goes without saying. I note that you haven't posted any such sentiment.

Compassion for the injured gentleman is not mutually exclusive to believing it's wrong to appoint yourself judge jury and executioner of someone based on one line from a website. That sort of sloppy tabloid style thinking is why this country is turning into a cess pit.

It's an absolutely fundamental moral that it's wrong to condemn someone without knowing the full story. I would love to hear you come up with one good justification for why it's right that you've done so.

With the greatest of respect, i think you are leaping to the conclusion that the elderly gent must have done something to deserve being assualted.

I think he's saying that as we don't know the facts, you can not assume he deserved it, or he is innocent.

Fail to see whats so hard to comprehend there.

I certainly am not, I've already said that I know nothing about what happened and been very clear that it's wrong to jump to conclusions. Please feel free to point out where I've said otherwise.

I think he's saying that as we don't know the facts, you can not assume he deserved it, or he is innocent.

Fail to see whats so hard to comprehend there.

And I think what Browner is trying to say is that you don't know the ither side of the situation either, so you cant assume he has done something!

And I think what Browner is trying to say is that you don't know the ither side of the situation either, so you cant assume he has done something!

Erm, the only people making any assumptions are those saying that the bloke should be banned/jailed/hung drawn and quartered. Who are they exactly?

Ok we'll leave it as it is - I tend to believe a law was broken that the man might have thought he had a reason for belting an elderly gentleman several times in the head, but on reflection he will regret his actions and compassion is correct side of the fence to be on.

Ok we'll leave it as it is - I tend to believe a law was broken that the man might have thought he had a reason for belting an elderly gentleman several times in the head, but on reflection he will regret his actions and compassion is correct side of the fence to be on.

I tend to believe if he had a good and valid enough reason, fair play.

Good on him.

Was having a glance through the Avon And Somerset Police football section when I came across this about the match on Tuesday

Just prior to the start of this match an incident occurred in the Williams Stand when an elderly City supporter was assaulted by another City fan who punched him in the face several times. This male was detained by stewards and subsequently arrested by officers who had been called into the stadium.

Absolutely disgraceful behaviour and I hope he gets a lengthy ban as this is so out of order, hope the elderly man is ok and that it won't stop him coming to the Gate again because of a moron.

How could you possibly comment with out knowing the full story?

As long he accepts the consequences of his actions that will no doubt come out in court which could leave him facing a ban from the club and a criminal conviction if in the eyes of the law his excuse isnt good enough - but that's what solicitors are there for to stand up for the guy - these boards are for city related discussions not the plight of a bloke who got arrested for punching an elderly man in the head several times enough for the gentleman to need medical attention.

I just hope his family isnt reading this.

As long he accepts the consequences of his actions that will no doubt come out in court which could leave him facing a ban from the club and a criminal conviction if in the eyes of the law his excuse isnt good enough - but that's what solicitors are there for to stand up for the guy - these boards are for city related discussions not the plight of a bloke who got arrested for punching an elderly man in the head several times enough for the gentleman to need medical attention.

I just hope his family isnt reading this.

Elderly...gentleman...medical attention needed...

Sure you don't want to add he does charity work at weekends for orphaned kittens?

Hardly impartial.

Haha, that made me laugh.

Anyway, back on the subject, we have a criminal justice system to sort this out so lets all just sit back make friends and find some nice women to fondle.

I wasnt joking though.

People these days know the farcical justice system we have in place means you can get away with murder, literally!

Some people sometimes need a good slap to put them in line.

Which may or may not have been the case on Tues.

Where are these women then?

No? And if the elderly man had touched the attacker's little girl?

Dez is right IMO, if you don't know the circumstances it's not really right to comment.

Okay so on that premise why or how can you presume that there are any mitigating circumstances either?

Just be done with it forum members and hang both parties ....... I have read some right b***ocks on this forum but this little breeze beats them all

Elderly...gentleman...medical attention needed...

Sure you don't want to add he does charity work at weekends for orphaned kittens?

Hardly impartial.

We're picturing an elderly man who can barely stand without a walking stick, and an alcohol fuelled skinhead thug looking for trouble.

Heh you started it - but that is the information we have - he is elderly and he needed medical attention - so which bit of the facts did you not like

Heh you started it - but that is the information we have - he is elderly and he needed medical attention - so which bit of the facts did you not like

My opening line was the stereotypical image Dan was portraying when he posted to start, and you know it.

How do we know the attacker wasnt elderly?

How do we know medical attention is a tissue to a bloody nose?

How do we know elderly isnt just 40, compared to a youthful attacker?

We don't.

Okay so on that premise why or how can you presume that there are any mitigating circumstances either?

Just be done with it forum members and hang both parties ....... I have read some right b***ocks on this forum but this little breeze beats them all

I wasn't recommending anyone should be banned, jailed or anything else, I was just pointing out the sheer stupidity in doing so.

Please note the careful use of the word "IF" which was completely missing from the several posts that pretty much convicted the bloke in absence of any actual knowledge of the facts.

My opening line was the stereotypical image Dan was portraying when he posted to start, and you know it.

How do we know the attacker wasnt elderly?

How do we know medical attention is a tissue to a bloody nose?

How do we know elderly isnt just 40, compared to a youthful attacker?

We don't.

Well to focus in on one point ..... I'm well into my 40's and that ain't old.... take it from me ;):)

So this post is getting more and more pointless - I'm dropping it as semantics is just a game that isnt worth playing - if he goes to court we'll find out and if his excuse for laying into the chap wasnt good enough was "he looked at me in the wrong way" and the elderly man was 72 then I guess we can form a queue behind you in giving him a good hiding but of course he wont be conveniently sitting int he williams stand for us to do it and history wont be repeated on this forum as to why we beat him up.

So this post is getting more and more pointless - I'm dropping it as semantics is just a game that isnt worth playing - if he goes to court we'll find out and if his excuse for laying into the chap wasnt good enough was "he looked at me in the wrong way" and the elderly man was 72 then I guess we can form a queue behind you in giving him a good hiding but of course he wont be conveniently sitting int he williams stand for us to do it and history wont be repeated on this forum as to why we beat him up.

It's quite frightening that you're confusing a basic moral principle with mere semantics.

The first few posts in this thread presume guilt, that's entirely wrong.

Semantics my ass.

I wasn't recommending anyone should be banned, jailed or anything else, I was just pointing out the sheer stupidity in doing so.

Please note the careful use of the word "IF" which was completely missing from the several posts that pretty much convicted the bloke in absence of any actual knowledge of the facts.

Granted.... yours just happened to be the post that I attached my reply to

'If' .... is a great film should you be the kind of person that likes thought provoking films

Archived