IGNORED

Do We Really Hate Holloway?

Tim S

Just reading some quotes from Gary Johnson about the Leicester game tomorrow and he said that he doesnt want the players to be drawn into the fans war with Ian Holloway becuase they all hate him.

I was just thinking, I don't actually hate him - I almost have a grudging respect for him and its more friendly banter than it is hate.

Also, he was very complimentary to the City fans in his Leicester press conference, saying that he needs the Leicester City fans to be more like Bristol City fans and get behind the team, becuase that is a major part of out success this season. Not the sort of thing I would normally expect Holloway to come out with!!!

So tomorrow, at 3pm when he walks out - yes I will boo, yes I will join in at full voice when we all sing "Cheer up Holloway......" but at the end of the game, no matter what the result (us winning of course!) I will probably clap him off too (while still singing Cheer up Holloway!!).

Do the rest of you fans think the same? Or am I a minority?!?

YES - Cant believe your asking

Does he? Obviously he's Rovers though and through but does he 'hate' City? I doubt it.

Anyone who remembers the snide, dirty, dishonest, cheating, lying scumbag playing against us could never doubt it.

"I feared for my life".

I don't know about a comedian but the bloke does have bags of character and does make people smile, not a bad thing in my book. I think so many just get hung up on the Rovers link, if he was City he'd be a legend.

Nope, they're laughing at him not with him. He portrays Bristolians as being as thick as he is and it pisses me off and would if he'd played for City.

Guest brfc1883
If Leicester came in for Johnson and Lansdown said "you are not talking to them" i would expect that would be the end of it not for Johnson to resign.

Holloway recently slagged off Plymouths players for a lack of loyalty but claimed to love Plymouth!!!!!!!

Like he's going to say 'I hate it here at Plymouth, if someone else wants me to manage them come & get me!'

Johnson is in a slightly different situation whereby he has the support from your board.

As a Manager he has done well at 3 Clubs with limited resources, his post-match interviews are classic, and he seems to have a genuine love of football. His association with the Gas taints him, and judging by the comments of an Argyle fan today, he won't be Mr Popularity there for a while, although the same fan saw nothing wrong in them trying to poach Sturrock. As for loyalty, had Argyle lost 6 in a row, the same fans would be screaming for him to be sacked. Refarding his playing days, full marks to an average footballer who did well through hard work. We expect City players to give it there all against the Gas, so why should there players not do the same? As for hating City, I think you will find he has a healthy respect for City, but loves getting one over us. What he hates are the pond-life who think it's OK to trash his car because he plays for/ manages a rival Club. As for the hostile reception, I bet he'd be disappointed if he didn't get one!

Like he's going to say 'I hate it here at Plymouth, if someone else wants me to manage them come & get me!'

Johnson is in a slightly different situation whereby he has the support from your board.

He was told he was not allowed to speak to Leicester and resigned because Milan Mandaric waved his wad at him and it has nothing to do with support.

Argyle are seventh and the Chairman showed his support by saying no.

Possibly true but he was part of an effective gash side and was good at what he did, why get hung up on it?

Because he was a bad example, thought little of cheating, intimidating refs, winding up players and fans but had some ability unlike Alexander who could do nothing else and played for a Rovers side that were a disgrace to football in the same manner as Cambridge and Wimbledon were.

He claimed to love the club and left shortly after for money. **** all to do with support from the board.

The word you're looking for is LIAR.

Mind you I don't like Plymouth either so Hollowhead getting fired shortly, which he probably will given that he's a very poor manager when it comes to spending money, will be best all round.

He was told he was not allowed to speak to Leicester and resigned because Milan Mandaric waved his wad at him and it has nothing to do with support.

Argyle are seventh and the Chairman showed his support by saying no.

Surely he has the right to a promotion like anyome else? Leicester City have bags more potential than Plymouth ever will, just because they're currently above them in the league is irrelvant in the long term, he knows that Plymouth have probably reached there full potential as where Leicester are currently underachieving.

If Johnson gets a offer that suits him from a club with more potential than City he'll be off, that just the way football is now.

Surely he has the right to a promotion like anyome else? Leicester City have bags more potential than Plymouth ever will, just because they're currently above them in the league is irrelvant in the long term, he knows that Plymouth have probably reached there full potential as where Leicester are currently underachieving.

If Johnson gets a offer that suits him from a club with more potential than City he'll be off, that just the way football is now.

Johnson will do it honestly and openly like he did at Yeovil, without being a hypocrite though. And he will give it a decent go first.

One week Holloway is saying how much he loves Plymouth and that manager's contracts aren't worth anything because clubs don't respect them, next week he's buggering off for more cash and balls to his contract.

Question. Do We Really Hate Holloway?

Answer. Yes!

Hollowhead is now manager of yet another team of blue belly losers. :rolleyes:

You've got to hate Hollowhead's ideology - Gas not City, blue not red etc. The Royalist Toffs and Snobs that misrule our country would have us believe that their inbred 'bluebloodedness'; plum in mouth accent; and public school educations make them better than the rest of us. This is the English class system that makes their Royal blue 'birthright' rather than ability the prerequisite to rule the rest of us. Unlike Hollowhead who is half way to being a decent human as at least he's Bristolian and doesn't try to disguise it. :icecream:

This grudging respect thing for Hollowhead from some City fans is nonsense.

Any City fan with such a charitable view must be too young to have seen the derbies when Hollowhead did all he could to wind up City fans or has somehow failed to commit to memory all the many derogatory things he has said about us and our club.

He doesn't like us and despises Bristol City F.C. A tote ender who has never fully grown up.

It's incomprehensible how some find his inane prattle amusing.

He may have mellowed a bit with age but there is far too much history between Skeletor and Bristol City for him to ever deserve any respect from City fans. :nono:

Largely Agree

The amount of TV interviews the man did whilst having implied digs at Bristol City, (he would often not name us but the implication was always City think they are big time Charlies and the Rovers were a hard working club who bring the best out of people) really got on my nerves. The man's verbal diarrhea is legendary and his brain, in the past, seemed simply unable to close down the vitriol when it came to our club...I never understood why but hey ho!

However the opposite of love is not hate but indifference...These days I'm completely indifferent to the bloke as clearly its attention the man craves and cutting that off hurts him much more.

Good luck to our boys tomorrow

Does he? Obviously he's Rovers though and through but does he 'hate' City? I doubt it.

Does he hate City? It has taken me a while to find it, but whilst manager of QPR Ian Holloway gave the following diatribe in his after dinner speech. He has a deep seated dislike for our club. We rejected him as a youngster and he tries to change history by stating that he chose the Gas over us because we were "big-headed"

Now I'm a little fella as it happens, but when I was really small I was nothing. Some scout from Bristol Rovers said they want you and Bristol City also want you. My fantastic, proud Father, who unfortunately is not here any more, when I was nine made me interview them both, one after the other.

Bristol City came in first and all they talked about was 'how brilliant I was going to be and when you're sixteen we'll give you this, and when you're seventeen we'll give you that, and when you're twenty-one you'll play for us and you'll never have to buy another pair of boots Mr Holloway. In fact here is his size right now'. And out they go. And in come Bristol Rovers and all the fella says is 'you did alright today, you were quite fair. Now if you want to be a good player son, you've got to want it more than the next fella and all we are guaranteeing you is you got to work hard, you got to be dedicated and it's down to you and it's down to you how good you can be. We know you might have a chance, but it's down to you son.'

Now, who do you think I chose? I chose the people who told me the truth. I wasn't a big head, I knew what it was all about- you gotta work hard -mould yourself into something.

Now I hate to say what I found when I took over this place. I took over from a fella who taught me what football was all about. I met him when I was twenty-five, Gerry Francis. Up until then, I thought I knew what football was all about. I didn't know anything, all I did was try learning. I hadn't the knowledge. The fella taught me a system - zonal system that unfortunately last year he didn't play for you, because he'd been with Tottenham with much, much better players and they had covered different things, different ideas. He taught me to believe in myself and to help my teammates, and that is what I tried to bring back here.

It's going to take a while, and unfortunately the club, since I took over the reins, nothing was told to me about that, I don't think we actually knew ourselves. I think the plan was, if I could rejuvenate after two or three matches, got enough wins that Chris Wright might have had enough confidence to stay on - because that is what Chris Wright has lost - confidence. I can't believe for the man he is, the money he has got, the lack of confidence he has, because he is in a different field and unfortunately the people he trusted with this, who threw money at it, who promised young lads of fourteen, five/ six years what Bristol City did to me. That's what this place was unfortunately - big-headed Bristol City.

This was reeled out to us by QPR fans when they pipped us to promotion, it has to have been 25 to 30 years after the events and he is still bitter about City. He does hate us, and despite a grudging respect I hate him too.

source: http://www.qpr1st.co.uk/main/hollowayspeech.asp

agree

I remember those derbies too and have enjoyed plenty of pantomime style Holloway abuse - and will happily engage with it today as well - but hate is a bit strong - personal abuse has got nothing to do with it - he's a rival, and a particularly loud and obvious one at that - so its all the better to beat him.

I'm not so sure about the - 'cheer up hollowhead' stuff though - not very inspiring to me - surely it would be better to come up with something new, more topical and relevant, something the whole country could join in with .... about him as as a cash-chasing untrustworthy hypocrite or similar :)

Guest brfc1883
Does he hate City? It has taken me a while to find it, but whilst manager of QPR Ian Holloway gave the following diatribe in his after dinner speech. He has a deep seated dislike for our club. We rejected him as a youngster and he tries to change history by stating that he chose the Gas over us because we were "big-headed"

Now I'm a little fella as it happens, but when I was really small I was nothing. Some scout from Bristol Rovers said they want you and Bristol City also want you. My fantastic, proud Father, who unfortunately is not here any more, when I was nine made me interview them both, one after the other.

Bristol City came in first and all they talked about was 'how brilliant I was going to be and when you're sixteen we'll give you this, and when you're seventeen we'll give you that, and when you're twenty-one you'll play for us and you'll never have to buy another pair of boots Mr Holloway. In fact here is his size right now'. And out they go. And in come Bristol Rovers and all the fella says is 'you did alright today, you were quite fair. Now if you want to be a good player son, you've got to want it more than the next fella and all we are guaranteeing you is you got to work hard, you got to be dedicated and it's down to you and it's down to you how good you can be. We know you might have a chance, but it's down to you son.'

Now, who do you think I chose? I chose the people who told me the truth. I wasn't a big head, I knew what it was all about- you gotta work hard -mould yourself into something.

Now I hate to say what I found when I took over this place. I took over from a fella who taught me what football was all about. I met him when I was twenty-five, Gerry Francis. Up until then, I thought I knew what football was all about. I didn't know anything, all I did was try learning. I hadn't the knowledge. The fella taught me a system - zonal system that unfortunately last year he didn't play for you, because he'd been with Tottenham with much, much better players and they had covered different things, different ideas. He taught me to believe in myself and to help my teammates, and that is what I tried to bring back here.

It's going to take a while, and unfortunately the club, since I took over the reins, nothing was told to me about that, I don't think we actually knew ourselves. I think the plan was, if I could rejuvenate after two or three matches, got enough wins that Chris Wright might have had enough confidence to stay on - because that is what Chris Wright has lost - confidence. I can't believe for the man he is, the money he has got, the lack of confidence he has, because he is in a different field and unfortunately the people he trusted with this, who threw money at it, who promised young lads of fourteen, five/ six years what Bristol City did to me. That's what this place was unfortunately - big-headed Bristol City.

This was reeled out to us by QPR fans when they pipped us to promotion, it has to have been 25 to 30 years after the events and he is still bitter about City. He does hate us, and despite a grudging respect I hate him too.

source: http://www.qpr1st.co.uk/main/hollowayspeech.asp

Absolute tosh! How do you know he was 'rejected by City'? Were you there? What you are reading above is an excerpt from his book 'Ollie'. Now I don't think he could publish something that wasn't true do you?

You just don't get it do you?

If johnson left for a bigger club i'm sure most on here would have no problem with it, the only problem would be if he had previously less than 48 hrs before quoted how the media publish rubbish about a possible move causing unrest at the club, how their is no loyalty in football anymore, how much he loved our club/area/fans and was here to finish a job.

But i wouldn't believe he would ever leave that way because GJ has integrity and honesty, whereas holloway is obviously a blatant liar.

I don't hate the bloke.I think he is one of the most honest men in football and a bloody good manager.

His only downfall is his affiliation with the gas.

I met him once years ago when he was the gasheads manager, to anyone not associated with City he would come across as being a really decent bloke. Since his gas days he has had a fairly good success record, but by now with the number of club moves, he is the equivelant to the players "Journeyman". The Purist would have to acknowledge what he has achieved up to now....but that is where the positives certainly end.

There have been many stories on this forum over the years, of isolated incidents between him and City fans, even 10 year olds, where his derogadary comments to the individual have been shameful, to say the least.

Then the rumour of him being a failed City trialist...is it all sour grapes stuff really?

Some stunning hypocrisy in this thread - Holloway makes derogatory remarks about City. Well, read back some of the comments on here about Holloway, and earlier in this thread we get the intelligent suggestion of 'Kill Him'. Full marks to the guy, he knows that he isn't a crowd favourite here, so he gives a bit back. If he was Ex-City, we'd love it if he did that to the Gas. In the era of bland Managers, full marks to the guy, even if it is at our expense. Better that than him being full of false love for City! And if you read his articles, he seems to enjoy the rivalry between us and the Gas, enjoys the banter and being the Pantomime Baddie at the Gate, but don't forget that City "fans" have vandalised his car and property, and abused his family - Perhaps that might give a clue as to why he does not have that positive an image of our Club!

Unfair to compare the Johnson scenario, GJ's move was supported by Yeovils board, and as such it could be handled properly. Had Yeovil rejected our offer, he would have acted exactly the same as Holloway. As for his reasons for moving, he has a pretty decent track record of managing Clubs with no money, this may be his one opportunity to move to a bigger Club. He secures his family's future, and has the opportunity to prove whether he is a good Manager or not.

As for the tosh about him not signing for City, don't forget that we were in complete turmoil at that time, and he probably made a very wise decision. We had Penrice on our books and had to let him go.

I shall be joining in as we give him the welcome he merits as an Ex-Gashead, but I still respect what he has achieved, and will continue to enjoy his weekly BBC column.

Absolute tosh! How do you know he was 'rejected by City'? Were you there? What you are reading above is an excerpt from his book 'Ollie'. Now I don't think he could publish something that wasn't true do you?

Ummmm....well YES! It is his autobiography after all, its up to him what he writes in it.

Anyway, arent we all being a little bit irrational here? HATE is a word I would use to describe terrorists, and peadophiles not a bloody football manager.

I would say that I find the guy extremely unpleasant, just like the rest of that awful thuggish Rovers team from the late 80s/early 90s and wish him nothing but failure.

Archived