IGNORED

David Noble - Not Good Enough

old_man_terry

Looking at our league position and the players through out the team, alot of players have made the step up to the championship level quite well, others have excelled, others have been suprisingly poor

One of those who I think has been poor is David Noble

since he's joined he's done well in League 1 and been a big improvement on anyone else in that positon we had before him, however since we have made the step up to the championship, he just hasn't moved with the club, technically their is no doubt he is an excellent player however his fitness is getting called into question more and more in recent weeks.

Some have said he needs more games to get upto speed, but with reserve games and modern training, getting fully fit shouldn't be a problem, the last few games have been a key sign that he is struggling at this level, in league one he could go missing for parts of the game, but because of his ability we were able to cope with it, however at this level we need players who are capable of effecting games for a large majortiy of the 90mins, something that Noble seems totally incapable of doing as per Ipswich for example when early second half he wasn't in the game and the sooner he got subbed the better then at Plymouth on saturday, he's not in the game and rightly gets subbed at HT,

He's possibly not helped by the problem is that we are getting alot of midweek games this season due to international breaks, got to be honest he doesn't have the ability/fitness to be a central midfielder in this divsion and although he does well in the "hole" behind a lone forward it's still only in cameo's similar to his mentor in Gascoigne, however that is a position that I feel Trundle could EXCEL in and already based on the last couple of games is looking to take over.

He's similar to Lee Johnson in the respect that he has a touch of class, only he doesn't have the engine or work rate (Trundle has the most class but also lacks an engine).

I like Noble, but I do wonder if the Middlesborough game did create a myth that he's better than perhaps he is.

I don't think he'll play for City for too much longer, but that's mere conjecture.

One of those who I think has been poor is David Noble

Noble is plenty good enough but he's not fit enough - its as straightforward as that. Its a real shame as Noble is easily the most gifted and natural footballer at the club.

He needs to take a hard look at how he can improve his stamnina otherwise I can see Johnson losing patience with him and then we all lose out.

Noble is plenty good enough but he's not fit enough - its as straightforward as that. Its a real shame as Noble is easily the most gifted and natural footballer at the club.

He needs to take a hard look at how he can improve his stamnina otherwise I can see Johnson losing patience with him and then we all lose out.

I'd say that Trundle has more natural ability than Noble, but Nobes is great on his day. I only ever see cameos of this though.

I'd question his physical attribute as well. Good playmaker, but inconsistent.

um, read the full posting, that's what I've said?

technically, he's decent, but physically....... :disapointed2se: some have suggested he's not over his injury problems but he's been back since start of october, so can't understand how that is a problem

I'd say that Trundle has more natural ability than Noble, but Nobes is great on his day. I only ever see cameos of this though.

Different types of player.

Trundle is a striker all left footed and at CCC level thats not enough to consistantly be a threat against better quality defenders.

Nobles' best postion is as an attacking midfielder and he has far quicker feet than Trundle and his vision and passing is superb.

Trundle is a striker all left footed and at CCC level thats not enough to consistantly be a threat against better quality defenders.

Nobles' best postion is as an attacking midfielder and he has far quicker feet than Trundle and his vision and passing is superb.

he doesnt have quicker feet than Trundle. Left footed or not.

he doesnt have quicker feet than Trundle. Left footed or not.

We'll have agree to disagree on this one - but just watch how many times Noble loses posession compared to Trundle. Noble nearly always gets him self out of trouble with his quick feet. Trundle falls over.

the words "quick" and "David Noble" don't belong in the same sentance

Noble himself suffers the same problems with consistanty, in he's totally unable to replicate his same performances in the 2nd half of a game that he does in the 1st half

Every player in the first team squad is different!!

You suggested that Noble was the most naturallly gifted footballer, which to me is clearly Trundle because he can do things witht he ball that the rest of the squad can only read about in Roy of the Rovers annuals (we know what they all get for Christmas).

Obviously, there's more to football than tricks, touch and angles, in which case I would argue that Lee Johnson is a more rounded player, because he has work-rate and build-up play in his arsenal as well as that classy first touch and ability to hit the ball sweetly (sadly not when shooting but crossfield passes and volley passes etc).

In terms of overall quality, Elliott is the squad's standout player, I'm sure we can all agree on that.

Noble's City career is in the balance for me, along with Showumni, Brooker and Wilson. I like them all as players, but it's survival of the fittest, sadly.

Noble's City career is in the balance for me, along with Showumni, Brooker and Wilson. I like them all as players, but it's survival of the fittest, sadly.

yep, and you can also add Betsy, Keogh and Russell to the list of players at the club who are likely to be off sooner rather than later.

Noble has done well to date, but he's out of contract end of season, so this is the ideal chance to trade him in for a new model.

We'll have agree to disagree on this one - but just watch how many times Noble loses posession compared to Trundle. Noble nearly always gets him self out of trouble with his quick feet. Trundle falls over.

Trundle gets the ball with a 6'2" 14 stone meathead kicking the back of his legs - Noble doesnt (or doesnt that often, at least). Plus Trundle is often looking to turn into the penalty area or toward goal - Noble doesnt need to.

Definitely agree to disagree!

yep, and you can also add Betsy, Keogh and Russell to the list of players at the club who are likely to be off sooner rather than later.

Well I've put them in a the 'out the door very soon' category, whereas I'd say the others I mentioned have some sort of chance of staying if things go right fot them.

Johnson won't want to stand still, he'll look to improve constantly.

Well I've put them in a the 'out the door very soon' category, whereas I'd say the others I mentioned have some sort of chance of staying if things go right fot them.

Johnson won't want to stand still, he'll look to improve constantly.

oh fair point,

that's the thing though we will need to improve come end of season, fact is, BOTH johnson and Noble are out of contract at end of season I think and I would be very suprised if either of them are at City this time next year, said it before and I'll say it again,

in Jan window, an attacking Central Midfielder is VITAL

I think Nobes is an excellent footballer, but someone told me he smokes quite a few a day!! don't know if its true, but I'm starting to believe it. He looks a few pound heavier this season to, and looks knackered in half hour, still would like to keep him, don't think there is any need to jump the gun just yet! He is still very talented and on his day is on a par with anyone at this club, technically wise at least.

I think Nobes is an excellent footballer, but someone told me he smokes quite a few a day!! don't know if its true, but I'm starting to believe it. He looks a few pound heavier this season to, and looks knackered in half hour, still would like to keep him, don't think there is any need to jump the gun just yet! He is still very talented and on his day is on a par with anyone at this club, technically wise at least.

Surely being a footballer lucky enough to play in the Championship is enough inspiration to be a health freak. How a pro footballer could bother with cigs is beyond me so I'd be surprised if that's true.

He doesn't really look like an athlete, or play like one, but I've seen less fit footballers at City.

I have to disagree with you also on this one, Lee Trundle is by far the most gifted footballer at the club, He makes things happen out of nothing, did you see the two chances he created for himself on saturday?? I cant even remember noble having a shot this season let alone doing things like Trundle can do with the ball at his feet.

I have to disagree with you also on this one, Lee Trundle is by far the most gifted footballer at the club, He makes things happen out of nothing, did you see the two chances he created for himself on saturday?? I cant even remember noble having a shot this season let alone doing things like Trundle can do with the ball at his feet.

Noble is not and as far as I'm aware never been an out and out striker.Trundle has been a front man his entire career. So to compare the two by using goal attempts as the yard stick is ridiculous.

Earlier in this thread I pointed out that the two are different types of players.They both have different roles within the team and different qualities and weakneses.

Noble is not and as far as I'm aware never been an out and out striker.Trundle has been a front man his entire career. So to compare the two by using goal attempts as the yard stick is ridiculous.

Earlier in this thread I pointed out that the two are different types of players.They both have different roles within the team and different qualities and weakneses.

as an attacking midfielder i would have thought he would have had a few shots of note, I could be wrong but i cant remember any all season. And how many assists does he have? Again i could be wrong but i don't remember many. Its all good and well playing preety football on the halfway line but does he contribute enough where it really matters, In my opinion Noble does not and Trundle does.

you also said he had quicker feet than trundle, when he clearly doesnt. And it's not even subjective - his feet just arent quicker!

Noble's problem is fitness and lifestyle, not ability. Unfortunately I'm less and less convinced he will sort his fitness out, though I hope he does.

If anyone remembers, Noble did not have a pre-season, as he was injured before the players officially reported for pre-season training. He is obviously not naturally fit like some players (i.e. Marvin Elliot), which can affect a player for most of the season if that is the case. I believe he is probably the most intelligent footballer at the club, but unfortunately his pace doesn't match his speed of thought. If anyone needs reminding of his good football brain, look again at the highlights of the Watford game when his back-header to Marvin almost created an early goal for Ivan Sproule. I just hope he does get fitter, as surely he is a vital part our squad.

As for Lee Trundle, I think his greatest asset is his quick feet, which makes up for his lack of natural pace.

If anyone remembers, Noble did not have a pre-season, as he was injured before the players officially reported for pre-season training. He is obviously not naturally fit like some players (i.e. Marvin Elliot), which can affect a player for most of the season if that is the case. I believe he is probably the most intelligent footballer at the club, but unfortunately his pace doesn't match his speed of thought. If anyone needs reminding of his good football brain, look again at the highlights of the Watford game when his back-header to Marvin almost created an early goal for Ivan Sproule. I just hope he does get fitter, as surely he is a vital part our squad.

As for Lee Trundle, I think his greatest asset is his quick feet, which makes up for his lack of natural pace.

Agree with you here, Noble is a thinking footballer, he has a lot to offer City still. You do not need pace to be a footballer, GJ plays him, if he has problems with smoking or general fitness he would not get into the team.

BUT we have always needed another player in midfield who can hold the ball and know how to make the most of it.

Long may Noble reign.

I don't think there's any such thing as "naturally fit". Elliott can run for 90 minutes because he's trained himself to run for 90 minutes. Noble can't because he hasn't. I don't think not having had a pre-season matters much either at this stage. He's been injury free for over a month now and he's got all day every day to train - that's more than enough time to get fit.

Noone's doubting Noble's talent, and I agree you don't have to have pace if you're an exceptional footballer, but you absolutely must be able to play a 90 minute game. If he gets fit enough to do that I will be delighted because he clearly has the ability for this level - but why isn't he yet?

The only reason we play 1 upfront is so gary can play both noble and johnson togever with Elliott.

When we go with 2 upfront he always takes off noble even though he has better games than lee johnson. how can he get 100% fit if he always gets taken off.

2 upfront means its 1 or the other noble or johnson, and i just feel its unfair that Lee always gets to stay on

Archived