IGNORED

Yesterday's Attendance

Flaxbourton Red

If it's all as simple as you people think and price is the ONLY reason for people not attending then I look forward to a crowd of 18,000 next saturday. If not, it proves that Bristolians in general (excluding us that do go regularly) are simply not interested enough in football to support a team that, on paper if nothing else, is making a serious assault at playing Premiership football next season - one of the reasons for low attendance in addition to price in my opinion.

people moan about prices however next weekend it's barnsley which is half price all around, i'd doubt it will be much higher than on saturday if at all.

Cardiff is considered by many to be a derby game. There's a rivalry there. We got 100 less watching it in the league below 4 years ago. Barnsley isn't even comparable.

as for major increases in attendances in the last 30years, maybe in the top flight, but other than that it's a myth

Actually terry the proportional increase is much higher OUTSIDE the top flight.

If it's all as simple as you people think and price is the ONLY reason for people not attending then I look forward to a crowd of 18,000 next saturday. If not, it proves that Bristolians in general (excluding us that do go regularly) are simply not interested enough in football to support a team that, on paper if nothing else, is making a serious assault at playing Premiership football next season - one of the reasons for low attendance in addition to price in my opinion.

Noone has suggested that price is the ONLY reason, but it is certainly a big one. Xmas being close plays a part too. Barnsley isn't even comparable, the crowd will be about the same or slightly lower (but much higher than the 11-12k we'd get without the price slash).

Bristolians in general (the day trippers that show up for Wembley) probably aren't interested enough to spend £100 taking their two kids to 90 minutes of football a week before Xmas, I agree, but they might be interested enough to spend £60 on it.

Can you offer any other explanation as to why 4 years on in the division above in 4th place in the league we only get 100 more fans show up to the same game?

Totally agree Greebo, and unfortunately if we do make it to the promised land, its going to be very difficult to sustain top flight footie, and at some point GJ and SL are going to think 'whats the point?'. A bit of a depressing thought but as long as there are two pro teams (I use the term loosely in ref to the other mob) in Bristol its going to be nigh on impossible. However, lets hope we make it and get into Europe!!!!!

Not if you only give 1800 to away fans mucker

I heard or read somewhere that Cardiff brought less than 1600 fans to AG. We had 15000 paying 30 quid for a Championship game.

Yesterday, (two divisions below us) Posh were home to MK Dons. MK - P'boro' is roughly the same distance as Cardiff - Bristol. 10,500 spectators (of whom MK brought nearly 2000) at London Road for a Div 2 game. £15.00 for adults to STAND on covered terracing and watch.

Noone has suggested that price is the ONLY reason, but it is certainly a big one. Xmas being close plays a part too. Barnsley isn't even comparable, the crowd will be about the same or slightly lower (but much higher than the 11-12k we'd get without the price slash).

Bristolians in general (the day trippers that show up for Wembley) probably aren't interested enough to spend £100 taking their two kids to 90 minutes of football a week before Xmas, I agree, but they might be interested enough to spend £60 on it.

Can you offer any other explanation as to why 4 years on in the division above in 4th place in the league we only get 100 more fans show up to the same game?

Price is a big factor, of course, and current statistics would indicate that crowds have probably reached their peak over the last couple of seasons and are actually starting to fall at most clubs. Xmas is also a valid point as any person with children will testify. I'm not so sure that there are that many "day trippers" who are prepared to pay £60 to watch league football and that in reality we have a TRUE fan base of around 20,000 fans who are genuinely interested in attending, all of whom cannot make games at the same time for the many reasons stated. I work in an office of over 40 people in central BRISTOL and there are two City fans including myself and one Gashead. We also have "fans" of Aston Villa, Manchester City, Southampton, Liverpool, Millwall and Plymouth (only the Villa fan actually goes regularly). One of the Liverpool fans threatened to go down yesterday to see Robbie Fowler and Jimmy Floyd Hasselbank but he didn't bother - he doesn't ever know who Liverpool are playing on a weekly basis so what is the chance of getting him down the Gate? Unfortunately, there are too many of these types in Bristol.

It's the week before Christmas or hadn't you noticed.

This match would have been lucky to get 10,000 in normal circumstances.

I fully expect around 12,500+ as they have sensibly lowered the prices - I assume most other clubs have done the same, although I can't be arsed to look.

18k ?

What you on ?

No, I hadn't noticed and I'm a f00k1n ###### high on drugs. Next.

As a matter of interest, the last time we were at home the week before christmas was 3 seasons ago against Luton in league 1 and we had just under 13,500 (lost 1-2). I think we'll be around that number give or take a thousand.

With the reduced prices, general increase in attendances and higher league you would expect at least 1k more. But we shall see.

Not read all of the thread but PRICES. Its too much to ask for an average working class fan. We need a cheap stand too i.e the EE £10-£12 POTD in the EE would be great, but it wont happen. And also the Ateyo should contain lower prices. I don't know how much but cheaper. You cant ask the average person/family whoever to pay more than £20 surely? Ok places on the halfway line and on the sides of the ground fine higher prices, but maybe behind the goals cheaper prices. I luckily got a season ticket. And I love watching City but I couldn't fork out £20+ for one match! And I'm sure many others couldn't either. Its no suprise to me seeing such low crowds when there are such high prices.

Price is a big factor, of course, and current statistics would indicate that crowds have probably reached their peak over the last couple of seasons and are actually starting to fall at most clubs. Xmas is also a valid point as any person with children will testify. I'm not so sure that there are that many "day trippers" who are prepared to pay £60 to watch league football and that in reality we have a TRUE fan base of around 20,000 fans who are genuinely interested in attending, all of whom cannot make games at the same time for the many reasons stated. I work in an office of over 40 people in central BRISTOL and there are two City fans including myself and one Gashead. We also have "fans" of Aston Villa, Manchester City, Southampton, Liverpool, Millwall and Plymouth (only the Villa fan actually goes regularly). One of the Liverpool fans threatened to go down yesterday to see Robbie Fowler and Jimmy Floyd Hasselbank but he didn't bother - he doesn't ever know who Liverpool are playing on a weekly basis so what is the chance of getting him down the Gate? Unfortunately, there are too many of these types in Bristol.

TO be perfectly frank if yesterdays ticket's had been £20 adult £10 concession I know at least two people who would have been there and another three or four I could have persuaded to come.

The attendances across football have peaked because prices have reached the point at which they can't be borne any more. Otherwise, why would attendances rocket whenever someone like Bolton, Blackburn or Charlton does a clever deal with ticket prices?

I think you're right about the 20k ish true fans but that leaves an awful lot of people who didn't turn up to a game against bitter rivals with us performing better than we have for over two decades yesterday. The only reason they're not there that I can realistically think of is that it's beyond their means now. WHIlst we have empty seats for a game like that we're doing something wrong.

TO be perfectly frank if yesterdays ticket's had been £20 adult £10 concession I know at least two people who would have been there and another three or four I could have persuaded to come.

The attendances across football have peaked because prices have reached the point at which they can't be borne any more. Otherwise, why would attendances rocket whenever someone like Bolton, Blackburn or Charlton does a clever deal with ticket prices?

I think you're right about the 20k ish true fans but that leaves an awful lot of people who didn't turn up to a game against bitter rivals with us performing better than we have for over two decades yesterday. The only reason they're not there that I can realistically think of is that it's beyond their means now. WHIlst we have empty seats for a game like that we're doing something wrong.

I don't doubt what you say and so on that basis let us hope that Steve Lansdown is reading your comments (let's remember that Colin Sextone put a more affordable pricing structure to the board and was gunned down by Lansdown) and considers a pricing structure that will get your mates and a few like minded others down to Ashton Gate on a more regular basis.

The Premier Seating was at best half full :whistle:

Counted like all ST's even if it's empty

I'm sure when this came up before then only actual attendees are counted. So a missing ST holder isn't counted.

Edit - it obviously came up more than 3 years ago seeing Nibor's post, it's now changed!

See above

As to the low gate, well:

Price - Colin Sexstone's choice. Price it high for guaranteed revenue rather than filling the ground. I'm sure most of us would do it differently.

Price=Steve Lansdown's choice and simply put, he over estimated how much people were prepared to pay for CCC football

Christmas - partly shopping, partly the cost.

What happened to quid a kid? One of Scott Davidson's decent initiatives. Fill the Gate!

There are many reasons but, like it or not, price comes into it, big time.I'm sure some people were tied up on Xmas duties, some had the flu, some had weddings to go to or were visting sick relatives, however, it didn't just happen yesterday it's been happening all season.

If we alter the prices and the club are trying with the Barnsley & Boro initaitives and people don't turn up (I'd suggest at least a six week trial because it'll be no surprise if attendances drop, price cuts or not on Black Saturday) we stay in the top six or around it and that doesn't work, then it may just be right that there's no appetite for football in Bristol and we'll have to fill the new stadium by selling out to away fans.

Eh ?

Where does stuff like that come from ?

We have a capacity of 19,500 which the club doesn't want to sell - what other business wouldn't sell all they can ?

The other reason for lower than anticipated attendances is the rip off price of tickets.

The club has cocked it up on all fronts in this regard - but are backtracking faster than an Italian tank.

You never know we may even drop:

• The 5% on Credit Cards.
  • The £1.00 Postage Charge on Online Sales that's appeared.
  • The 5% Charge on Telephone & Online DEBIT card sales that, for some odd reason, has now been dropped when you buy in person :noexpression:
  • The de facto membership scheme that makes those wishing to watch from the EE POD need to book in advance and know an ST Holder
  • POD is more than Pay A Day Before.
  • Expensive phone line-Especially from mobiles.

And all the other nonsense that makes it easier to stay at home by the fire and pay about £1.50 a game to watch on Sky

PS: Nice to see the Rip Off Parking Scheme on the Cala Ind Est wasn't in place on Saturday and if it failed then I'm *****ng overjoyed!

I was delighted to see Dave L's initiative on the OS although I didn't agreed with the framing of the questions.Keeping On? Yup, you bet and nothing else will see the club make the changes needed to take us forward and forward means the Prem-Half way through the season, it's on for us as much as anyone else apart from WBA who I reckon may run away with it.

Of course it will shoot up if we're near the top at the end of the season, but the point I'm making is that 15k in 75/76 is the equivalent of 18-19k now so we're actually having much lower gates in real terms. It's like comparing prices, you have to take into account inflation.

And my point is we WERE'NT getting anything like 15k back then when we were in the top two, some were below 10 (oxford) for example.

And that, IMO, is an even bigger reason than ticket pricing for why attendances are not as high as people would like. While i agree that moving to a new ground will be preferable to trying to upgrade AG with its limitations, i fear that unless we are either a; in the Premiership, or b; well established with realistic aims of reaching the Prem, then the new Stadium will induce the same crowds and the same threads as to why we cannot attract bigger attendances.

Ticket pricing may well be the reason why some do not attend, but i do not believe for one second that those numbers would make any significant difference to the figures.

You are either a devout football fan or your not. Attendances will mainly fluctuate by the numbers of visiting support and those that pick and choose their games.

Be realistic and accept things the way they are. Unless of course somebody has some magic formula for converting the many thousands of Bristolians that have no interest in the club.

PDG

Well I couldn't go yesterday what with having a dose of manflu, I am a season ticket holder and my old man took my ticket to give it away to some fortunate fellow, even with this kind gesture, it was only one less paying supporter yesterday.

So less than 16000 fans in what should have been the closest thing to a sell out we should have had all season, very poor showing in my book.

So do we now return to the fact that the prices were raised too high in the first place, many voices on here spoke out about the sharp increases all at once, no discount and the fact POTD would price out the casual supporters, but they went ahead with it anyway.

Colin said anything less than 10000 season ticket holders would be disappointing, well they never made 10000, so are the fans sticking their fingers up in protest, are they just not able to afford it or is this all the fans we can expect at the moment, I realise it takes a few seasons to build up support, but, yesterday their couldnt be any more excuses for me, it was against that lot and we are riding high, so a full house should have been an absoloute certainty.

Any thoughts, and yes i do know this may open up a can or two of worms, and some old wounds.

Well I couldn't go yesterday what with having a dose of manflu, I am a season ticket holder and my old man took my ticket to give it away to some fortunate fellow, even with this kind gesture, it was only one less paying supporter yesterday.

So less than 16000 fans in what should have been the closest thing to a sell out we should have had all season, very poor showing in my book.

So do we now return to the fact that the prices were raised too high in the first place, many voices on here spoke out about the sharp increases all at once, no discount and the fact POTD would price out the casual supporters, but they went ahead with it anyway.

Colin said anything less than 10000 season ticket holders would be disappointing, well they never made 10000, so are the fans sticking their fingers up in protest, are they just not able to afford it or is this all the fans we can expect at the moment, I realise it takes a few seasons to build up support, but, yesterday their couldnt be any more excuses for me, it was against that lot and we are riding high, so a full house should have been an absoloute certainty.

Any thoughts, and yes i do know this may open up a can or two of worms, and some old wounds.

Already being discussed, but then, has anybody actually stopped discussing it.

PDG

Archived