IGNORED

Why Do You Go?

ooRya

There's been a lot written recently about attendences and why people are staying away, and it got me wondering as to the reasons we do go.

We all know it's expensive, can be extremely frustrating, and cold, and a rubbish game, atmosphere can be dire, we could lose etc etc etc.

So why do we turn up week in week out?

I got hooked many years ago and have watched City from the top league to the bottom. Here I am 30 years on and still going....but still not sure why!

I guess it must be something to do with the feeling that you get to be amongst all the other City fans, all sharing the same passion and desire for your team to do well. The anticipation of each game, not knowing whether we will win, draw or lose. The feeling that just by being there, then just maybe you can make a difference and ensure that City get another 3 points. The feeling that you get when City score, that is just so unlike any other feeling that you get from anything else. The opportunity to be younger than it says on your passport for just a couple of hours.

The passion, the drama, living "the dream".

Ok, obviously I do know why I go. So back to the original question....why do you?

There's been a lot written recently about attendences and why people are staying away, and it got me wondering as to the reasons we do go.

We all know it's expensive, can be extremely frustrating, and cold, and a rubbish game, atmosphere can be dire, we could lose etc etc etc.

I got hooked many years ago and have watched City from the top league to the bottom. Here I am 30 years on and still going....but still not sure why!

I guess it must be something to do with the feeling that you get to be amongst all the other City fans, all sharing the same passion and desire for your team to do well. The anticipation of each game, not knowing whether we will win, draw or lose. The feeling that just by being there, then just maybe you can make a difference and ensure that City get another 3 points. The feeling that you get when City score, that is just so unlike any other feeling that you get from anything else. The opportunity to be younger than it says on your passport for just a couple of hours.

Ok, obviously I do know why I go. So back to the original question....why do you?

I know a few people that go partly to get rid of some frustration and agression (in a way) that has built up since the last game. Belting out OUR songs that cheer on OUR team gives a weird sense of self satisfaction. Its almost as if its addictive.

I go because I simply couldn't do without it. Football is one of the last remaining places where I can shout, jump and down and experience true passion. I can do all these in my bedroom but that's for another thread. Watching City gives you theatre, drama, passion, love, hate, excitement, depression etc. Mmmmmmm, marvellous isn't it? Mmmmmm.

Not really the answer you're looking for, but I can tell you the reasons for me not going are increasing year in year out. The enjoyment of going to games is being sufficated with the loss of traditional grounds, terracing, home end (i.e East End), chanting (cosntrued as obscene/racist/predudice etc) and overpricing.

However on a positive, City gives me a hobby to spend my Saturday on, a break from the Norm. We're witnessing some of the best football for a long while at AG. We've also got a realistic chance of making the Premiership which I've never experienced following City...and finally, it's in my blood, family are City through and through.

I can't go every week because of being at Uni in Leicester, but when I'm home I try to go as much as I can. The feeling I get is that, after being a season ticket holders for a few years and going to plenty of away games, it now feels that I'd be letting the team and the club down if I don't go when I can. I almost feel guilty when I miss a game that I could have gone to.

Not really the answer you're looking for, but I can tell you the reasons for me not going are increasing year in year out. The enjoyment of going to games is being sufficated with the loss of traditional grounds, terracing, home end (i.e East End), chanting (cosntrued as obscene/racist/predudice etc) and overpricing.

As I said, I've been going to watch City for a long time now, and I can readily identify with all the negative points you have raised there, and I agree that it's not the same anymore. I do wonder whether I would have got hooked in quite the same way if football was always as it is now?

But....even allowing for the above, when I'm at a match - I can never imagine not being there!

I'm a traditionalist at heart and have been going since the dawn of self-consciousness, I could however break free now if desired as I am strong.

The timing of our promotion and permanent retrieval of Ye Olde Easte Ende was impeccable as patience with the experiance was running thin especially now as it isn't so easilly compatable with that of a person who no longer see's a weird and wonderful World through the dazzled eyes of an accomplished piss artist.

If ever offspring are spawned, we shall see.....

Is it really fair to inflict such emotional attachment on such innocent beings that offers at an extortionatly inflated and exploitational price an excessively prescribed, conditioned and dictatorial experiance - surely that's exactly what the education system is for?!!

May let them decide for themselves, however, if one does come home one day declaring they support any Club but Bristol City then myself and them shall be going on a very long walk together!!!!!!

Living in London heightened my love for the club. I missed Bristol for a while, plus everyone supports the big four here. If I am not at the Gate, I will be in front of Jeff Stelling or listening to it online. Living with a Plymouth fan, a QPR fan and a Southampton fan also helped...

I'm a proud Bristolian and a proud Bristol City fan. Deal with it London!

I said to my partner the other day going to city is sometimes like a chore its like work you don't want to go but something is saying you got to go

Know what you mean. I always say to the wife "got to go to football Saturday" which she replies "you don't have to go" umm "yes i do".

She knows I'm off boxing day but haven't told her about Burnley yet. :sofa:

it was becoming a chore a few years ago then my son started coming and got hooked and reawakened my love. now he,s a troublesome teen and we seem to be at war all the time it,s great that when city score the first person he hugs s his old dad. been going since 1969 and to be honest i,m enjoying more than ever and that includes first division days. wether it,s down to my son or the football and team spirit we have don,t know

it was becoming a chore a few years ago then my son started coming and got hooked and reawakened my love. now he,s a troublesome teen and we seem to be at war all the time it,s great that when city score the first person he hugs s his old dad. been going since 1969 and to be honest i,m enjoying more than ever and that includes first division days. wether it,s down to my son or the football and team spirit we have don,t know

Your profile says you've supported them since 1974 - does that mean you were indifferent for the first five years?

In the 'bad days' for me it was always great to go out on a Saturday about 1pm meet lots of friends for a drink then goto the game, for me supporting City is great but the banter with mates and everyone else pulling towards the greater good is quality. (even coming on here to read the 'moans' for some reason is addictive.

Living in London heightened my love for the club. I missed Bristol for a while, plus everyone supports the big four here. If I am not at the Gate, I will be in front of Jeff Stelling or listening to it online. Living with a Plymouth fan, a QPR fan and a Southampton fan also helped...

I'm a proud Bristolian and a proud Bristol City fan. Deal with it London!

I know exactly what you mean. My enjoyment of following City heightened when I was at Uni in Southampton for three years. I needed my weekly fix of coming back to Bristol, seeing the boys, singing the songs etc.

But now, I feel it's declining somewhat. The atmosphere, or lack of it these days, has lessened my enjoyment of the game. Despite our excellent position the prawn sandwich brigade have pretty muich ruined my matchday experience now and I expect that will go on the better we do.

I go because I can remember the days when a day at football was really good and a cracking social occasion.

Shame they've ended, but I live in hope they'll return!

I remember those day as well but I reckon that its pretty much like that now. City are playing some really good stuff, riding high in the league with a possible new stadium on the horizon. Theres a 'feel good' factor around BCFC just now.

As for a 'cracking social occaision' - its that to. Meet up for a pint or two with a few mates.Exchange opinions and engage is some friendly banter. Its enjoyable - just like it used to be.

When mates talk about Man U, Chelsea etc. and sit and watch games and go 'Yes!' when they score, I kinda wanna say ''You arent a football fan, you don't know what you're missing''..

And if I do say that, I get the usual response ''You support Bristol, who are they, lower league'' etc etc.

I go to games because I'm proud that I'm a proper fan, and the whole matchday experience adds to that, even if it is a little dull these days.

Archived