IGNORED

Team V Coventry

Bristol Boy

So, do we stick to the old adage about nevr changing a winning team or do we try to improve?

Will there be a new signing at AG for the Coventry game?

Assuming Carey's fit, Fontaine can also return and will GJ chance his arm with Brooker?

Vasko was a contender for, if not, MOM today & scored...

All good positive stuff that adds grist to the mill!!

I reckon GJ will go for:

4-4-1-1

................BASSO.....................

ORR............CAREY.......MCCOMBE.................FONTAINE.

SPROULE.....ELLIOTT.....JOHNSON..................MCINDOE...

..............NOBLE....................

..............TRUNDLE...................

For Me

.......BASSO.................

ORR.........CAREY......VASKO...........FONTAINE.....

WILSON....ELLIOTT...JOHNSON.......MCINDOE......

.......NOBLE................

.......TRUNDLE.............

SUBS

WEALE

BYFIELD

MURRAY

SKUSE

SHOWUNMI

On Loan:Jevons, Keogh, Myrie-Williams

Left Out:Sproule, Betsy,Brooker,Russell, McAllister, McCombe, Henderson, Plummer, Artus, Ribiero

So, do we stick to the old adage about nevr changing a winning team or do we try to improve?

Assuming Carey's fit, Fontaine can also return and will GJ chance his arm with Brooker?

I reckon GJ will go for:

4-4-1-1

...BASSO........

ORR............CAREY.......MCCOMBE....FONTAINE.

SPROULE.....ELLIOTT.....JOHNSON.....MCINDOE...

.NOBLE.......

.TRUNDLE......

For Me

.......BASSO....

.......NOBLE...

SUBS

WEALE

BYFIELD

MURRAY

SKUSE

SHOWUNMI

Left Out:Sproule, Betsy,Brooker,Russell, McAllister, McCombe, Henderson, Plummer, Artus, Ribiero

Agree with bringing in Vasko for McCombe at the back. He has looked shaky for the past few games and I've heard Vasko played a blinder today so i'd like to see him have a run out at AG.

Why leave Sproule out of the squad? Did he pick up a knock today?

I would like to see him on the bench to come on for the last half hour and use his pace to tear teams apart, I don't think GJ has tried that yet.

Apart from that, your line up is probably what I would go for.

I reckon GJ will go for:

4-4-1-1

...BASSO........

.NOBLE.......

.TRUNDLE......

For Me

.......BASSO....

.......NOBLE...

SUBS

WEALE

BYFIELD

MURRAY

SKUSE

SHOWUNMI

erm, bit of a conundrum..

I'd like one from the top please Carol & ten from anywhere else... they could all add up to a winning side.

erm, bit of a conundrum..

I'd like one from the top please Carol & ten from anywhere else... they could all add up to a winning side.

I'd also stick Vasko ahead of McCombe at the moment. Maybe Carey won't make it in which case have Fontaine alongside Tamas. Interesting that you choose our forgotten man Scott Murray on the bench? Is that sentiment? He's made only two starts so far - clearly behind Sproule and Wilson. I think he's been hard done by - let's hope he stays patient and gets his chance.

The way Johnson has said and played things this year, i.e. come in and take your chance, then by this measure Vasko would start. But Carey is captain and arguably best player this year. I'd go Vasko - Carey as said in earlier posts, if Carey is fit. Up front is even more of a guessing game, like to see Noble in the hole and Trundle in front. What do you think St.Aldhelms Red or can't you reply?

I'm an advocate of not changing a winning side and if everyone is fit and available then I don't see why its necessary to alter anything.

By consistantly rewarding players by selecting them for the next game after the've played a part in winning a match sends out the right kind of message to the squad.That is that no-ones place is guaranteed - not even Carey or Fontaine who have both had excellent seasons so far.That way all the players know exactly where they stand.

Carey said in his Captains blog that he and Fontaine were both aware that they might not get straight back in to the side just as McAllister failed to do.

So...same side against Coventry for me.

The only flaw in this argument is where a player who started the game has been withdrawn and the substitute has played a major part in achieving the end result (Trundle yesterday?).

The role of the manager is surely to consider all aspects of the next fixture and select his side accordingly.

If fit, there is no question that Carey would add something to the team against Coventry, and presuming that we have the lions share of possession so would Trundle.

GJ will pick his strongest 11 on the day no matter what. He has to say certain things to motivate players. But if he thinks Vasko deserves another go then he will get it.

GJ has no regards for names or sentiment and rightly so.

GJ will pick his strongest 11 on the day no matter what. He has to say certain things to motivate players. But if he thinks Vasko deserves another go then he will get it.

GJ has no regards for names or sentiment and rightly so.

Agreed. There is no sentiment in football but Johnson sees team spirirt and unity as essential in any successfull side that he has built and protects that by being consistant with all the players.They all know the score when it comes to holding down a starting place.One of those is that if you don't perform you get subbed.Johnson has never shied away from taking off under performing players or making tactical substitutions when appropriate.

He also 'rewards' players by picking them for the next game when they have produced the goods.If you look at yesterdays game only Enoch didn't really impress and he was subbed for Trundle.That was both a tactical and psychological substition.Tactical because it gave Burnley a different type of player to deal with and psychologically it let Enoch know that his game wasn't at its best.At the same time letting Trundle know that he has a big role to play.

Obviously Johnson will select what he thinks will be the best 11 to handle Coventry - espeially Adebola who is a big physical pressence.I can't see him dropping Vasko after the game he had yesterday plus his goal which was very well taken.Possibly Johnson might change things up front as none of the strikers have set the world alight so far and he has moved and rotated them virtually all season.That said I would imagine that it will be pretty much the same squad apart from Ribeiro who might not make the bench for a home game.

I'm an advocate of not changing a winning side and if everyone is fit and available then I don't see why its necessary to alter anything.

By consistantly rewarding players by selecting them for the next game after the've played a part in winning a match sends out the right kind of message to the squad.That is that no-ones place is guaranteed - not even Carey or Fontaine who have both had excellent seasons so far.That way all the players know exactly where they stand.

Carey said in his Captains blog that he and Fontaine were both aware that they might not get straight back in to the side just as McAllister failed to do.

So...same side against Coventry for me.

Have you changed your opinion that we don't have the quality to cover if Carey is out, then?

In Alan's defence, although I am sure he will make his own case, I, too, thought City without Carey were in the sh1te, after thev 2nd half vs Southampton and Ipswich/WBA away, but I am delighted that Vasko appears to have grasped the mettle.

Lucky GJ plenty of defensive options, spoilt for choice, some might say.

funny old game!!

It's a nice dilemma for GJ to face. However, I think he must choose "horses for courses." That will mean McCombe and Vasko dropping out for the Coventry game.

City will need a pacy defender to mark Mifsud who is very quick so Fontaine will, I think, be brought back. Carey is our best defender, an inspirational captain and glues the back four together so, in my view, he has to return.

I'd also stick Vasko ahead of McCombe at the moment. Maybe Carey won't make it in which case have Fontaine alongside Tamas. Interesting that you choose our forgotten man Scott Murray on the bench? Is that sentiment? He's made only two starts so far - clearly behind Sproule and Wilson. I think he's been hard done by - let's hope he stays patient and gets his chance.

Murray & Byfield are our best attacking impact players and, for me, Sproule just hasn't done enough.

we keep changing the frontline to much keep two up top and let them gel!!!

Because one up top incorporates Noble and because one up top works.We play our best attacking football with one forward and two wingers.Now, if we played with three centre backs and three central midfielders then two up top could well work better

My team for Coventry assuming Carey and Fontaine are is back:

Basso

Orr Carey Vasko Fontaine

Sproule Johnson Elliot McIndoe

Byfield Trundle

McCombe gets dropped because he`s been below par last couple games. Vasko to keep his place because of goalscoring performance against Burnley (he`s worth a run in the team now). Feel the time is right for Trundle alongside Byfield to have a run of games from the start now.

Agreed. There is no sentiment in football but Johnson sees team spirirt and unity as essential in any successfull side that he has built and protects that by being consistant with all the players.They all know the score when it comes to holding down a starting place.One of those is that if you don't perform you get subbed.Johnson has never shied away from taking off under performing players or making tactical substitutions when appropriate.

He also 'rewards' players by picking them for the next game when they have produced the goods.If you look at yesterdays game only Enoch didn't really impress and he was subbed for Trundle.That was both a tactical and psychological substition.Tactical because it gave Burnley a different type of player to deal with and psychologically it let Enoch know that his game wasn't at its best.At the same time letting Trundle know that he has a big role to play.

Obviously Johnson will select what he thinks will be the best 11 to handle Coventry - espeially Adebola who is a big physical pressence.I can't see him dropping Vasko after the game he had yesterday plus his goal which was very well taken.Possibly Johnson might change things up front as none of the strikers have set the world alight so far and he has moved and rotated them virtually all season.That said I would imagine that it will be pretty much the same squad apart from Ribeiro who might not make the bench for a home game.

It was Byfield that started, not Enoch.

If fit, no question for me that Carey should be back in the team. Vasko grew into the game yesterday, but my heart was in my mouth when the ball came near him for the first 20 mins or so. Choice between Vasko/Boom boom is a harder one - I would be tempted to go with the latter simply because he and Carey are proven together. Fonts LB instead of Macca. In summary:

BASSO

ORR CAREY BOOM-BOOM FONTS

SPROULE ELLIOTT JOHNSON MCINDOE

NOBLE

TRUNDLE

I think Sproule should be given a rest for tomorrow, might spur him on to do a little bit more...

Sproule on the bench for me, he can come on late in the game and terrorise them.

Defensively we should get Carey and Fontaine back in asap - Burnley should have scored yesterday but poor finishing only let them down.

Have you changed your opinion that we don't have the quality to cover if Carey is out, then?

I don't think that City have quality to cover both Elliot and Carey being out at the same time.

But.....when I questioned the depth of City's defensive cover (who many others have since questioned) Vasko wasn't even making it onto the bench. Add to that his less than impressive start against against QPR and who would have thought that with only reserve games under his belt regularly that he would would be so impressive when called upon?

That said its only been one game and before any of us form a solid opinion of Vasko we would need to see much more of him.

Carey on the other hand has been there and done it and has nothing to prove.We know how consistant and reliable he's been all season.

I reckon GJ will go for:

4-4-1-1

...BASSO........

.NOBLE.......

.TRUNDLE......

For Me

.......BASSO....

.......NOBLE...

SUBS

WEALE

BYFIELD

MURRAY

SKUSE

SHOWUNMI

Will there be a new signing at AG for the Coventry game? :whistle2::shutup:

........Basso

Orr......Vasko.......Carey.......Fontaine

Sproule...Elliott....LJ.......McIndoe

.......Trundle......Enoch

subs.........anyones guess.

much depends on fitness of Carey hopefully he will be back and I'd keep Vasko in the team without doubt based on yesterday

Noble drop back to bench, he can make a difference but 3 games in a week is too much for the lad to handle unfortunately, we have a big squad so should use it and I'd think he will

Byfield worked hard, but doesn't really excel alone up front, and I'd keep him for his super-sub role along with Noble if needed

Having heard GJ on Radio Bristol before the Burnley game I think there is virtually no chance that Carey will be fit for Coventry, he mentioned that if he returns too early he could rupture his achilles and be "out for 20 games".

There won't be any new signing for Coventry as the transfer window doesn't open until that day and you have to be signed 36 hours in advance.

My guess is Liam Fontaine is competing with the 2 Jamie Macs for 2 places in the back four and that Trundle might get the nod over Byfield to start.

Having heard GJ on Radio Bristol before the Burnley game I think there is virtually no chance that Carey will be fit for Coventry, he mentioned that if he returns too early he could rupture his achilles and be "out for 20 games".

There won't be any new signing for Coventry as the transfer window doesn't open until that day and you have to be signed 36 hours in advance.

My guess is Liam Fontaine is competing with the 2 Jamie Macs for 2 places in the back four and that Trundle might get the nod over Byfield to start.

If this is true and carey doesnt start then my back four will be

Orr Vasko Fontaine Mcallister

Wotever the team i don't think mccombe will start with carey fit or not

It's a nice dilemma for GJ to face. However, I think he must choose "horses for courses." That will mean McCombe and Vasko dropping out for the Coventry game.

City will need a pacy defender to mark Mifsud who is very quick so Fontaine will, I think, be brought back. Carey is our best defender, an inspirational captain and glues the back four together so, in my view, he has to return.

OK. . . If you think Fontaine is quick you need your head testing :|

I'd go for

Basso

Orr Vasko Carey(if fit) McAllister

Sproule Elliot Midget McIndoe

Byfield Trundle

I don't get why people are leaving out McAllistar to be honest. He is a solid left-back, better than Fontaine, maybe not his all-round game but Fontaine is NO left-back. Fair enough he has been played there and not done that bad, but we need someone to support McIndoe on the left and at left-back he doesn't get up as much as McAllistar. Not chopping Fontaines head off or anything, don't get me wrong i love the bloke, but we should put him in his comfortable centre-back position.

For me I'd like to see:

Basso

Orr Carey (if fit, if not, Vasko) Fontaine McAllistar

Sproule Elliott Johnson McIndoe

Noble

Trundle

But, no-one knows apart from Johnson, I think he will stick with the same formation as he used against Burnley, yet maybe swap a few players (Carey in if fit and Fontaine for ?)

Comfortable win I'm thinking though :innocent06:

Archived