IGNORED

All Things Elliott (merged)

Guest zider_head

Portsmouth are not going to bid £2.5 million for Elliot.

1) If there's anywhere on the park Pompey have strength in depth it's central midfield. Diop, Mendes, Davis, Hughes, Kranjcar, Mvuemba, Muntari are more than capable Premiership players who can play there already.

2) Do you honestly think Harry will dip into the Championship transfer market quite so soon after the unmitigated disaster that is the signing of Nugent?

3) They desperately need strikers generally and especially with the African nations looming and due to their limited funds will concentrate there on spending.

I don't mind rumours but there need to be at least some logical thinking behind them.

Portsmouth are not going to bid £2.5 million for Elliot.

1) If there's anywhere on the park Pompey have strength in depth it's central midfield. Diop, Mendes, Davis, Hughes, Kranjcar, Mvuemba, Muntari are more than capable Premiership players who can play there already.

2) Do you honestly think Harry will dip into the Championship transfer market quite so soon after the unmitigated disaster that is the signing of Nugent?

3) They desperately need strikers generally and especially with the African nations looming and due to their limited funds will concentrate there on spending.

I don't mind rumours but there need to be at least some logical thinking behind them.

Diop, Mvuemba, Muntari are going to the Nations cup, might make sense to get a combative midfielder for a relatively low price?

Guest zider_head

Portsmouth boss Harry Redknapp is ready to do business in the transfer window with African Cup of Nations call-ups set to leave his squad at just 14 strong. (The Independent)

Redknapp is hoping to swap striker David Nugent for Reading's out-of-favour Leroy Lita. (Daily Mirror)

Dunno wether these rumours about Elliot are true or not, but personally i wouldn`t sell him unless we get a ridiculously large transfer fee for him (like around £5 mill would do). And even then we`d have to make sure that the money we got, would be spent on a player of equal or better ability that we`d already have lined up to replace him.

It's simple really... sell Marvin Elliott for whatever fee and the wheels will fall off drastically. Chance your arm and keep him til May, and we could be in the promotion shake-up, if not the Premiership itself.

SL/CS keep harping on about the lack of ambition being shown by the fans and how they need to show up if they want Premier League football. Well, I dare say that we have to keep Marvin Elliott if we're to get anywhere near it at all.

For the record, Colin Kazim-Richards is a lazy, cocky winger so there's no chance in hell we'd need him as a direct replacement for Marv. Besides, I'd be surprised if they sold him considering he scored for Fener in the Champions League a month or so ago and has broken into the Turkish national squad.

Guest zider_head

Injuires suspensions ?

We could say the same

Centre midfield we have on the books who could play their:-

Elliot

Skuse

Johnson

Wilson

Artus

Russell

Noble

Orr

Plus the kids

Which of the 7 players i've listed for Portsmouth haven't played regularly in central midfield, are leaving, or are untested youth players? Portsmouth have enough hard working battling central midfielders hence letting Gary O'Neill go. With or without the African cup of nations.

We have 4 players in serious competition for central midfield in Johnson, Elliot, Skuse and Noble. And we tend to play 3 of them! We have one player who's a midfield playmaker in Lee Johnson. We do need another.

I'd be more scared of the bottom Prem teams nicking Elliot, not the top ones. Derby, Sunderland, Wigan; all these could only be helped by the addition of a dynamic defensive midfielder like Mav. Only I doubt very much he'll leave.

It could turn out to be the biggest mistake of his career or the best decision of his life, but either way he has everything to gain and nothing to lose in seeing out the season with us and then taking stock, if he actually wants to move that is (which I've not seen anywhere). He may very well be a great player but with olny six months at this level behind him he be well advised to stay put for now.

Remember 'Cole Skus to Reading' back in August? Didn't that turn out to be utter balls?

Archived