IGNORED

Noble

tin

Firstly, I'll start by saying that I thought Noble did brilliantly yesterday. We played some decent stuff and it mainly went through him.

The point if this post is simple. Nobe's lasted 79 minutes yesterday and went some way to prove that he can last longer than the 50 minutes people on here berate him for and if he keeps putting in stints like that then he will get fitter. A fit Noble would be like a new signing...

Firstly, I'll start by saying that I thought Noble did brilliantly yesterday. We played some decent stuff and it mainly went through him.

The point if this post is simple. Nobe's lasted 79 minutes yesterday and went some way to prove that he can last longer than the 50 minutes people on here berate him for and if he keeps putting in stints like that then he will get fitter. A fit Noble would be like a new signing...

Did he do much in that extra 29 minutes? I thought he was pretty ineffective in that period and would have liked to have seen him replaced earlier.

The first 50 minutes was good though!

Did he do much in that extra 29 minutes? I thought he was pretty ineffective in that period and would have liked to have seen him replaced earlier.

The first 50 minutes was good though!

The fact we conceded the goal after he went off showed to me that we weren't retaining the ball as well as we did in the first half though.

I thought Noble was excellent yesterday and as you say, a lot of our play and general football flows through him. We play so much better football when he's playing and the opposition do tend to struggle to pick him up which creates space for our other players.

He has a fantastic football brain and will be key to our success this season. He does waiver around the hour mark but he is not in the team to be a work horse - he is a playmaker, link payer, attacking midfielder etc.... Thats why we play him in the hole, so that L Johnson and Elliot can give him protection and freedom to roam.

IMO Noble is the best footballer at the club whilst on the ball, and his vision is the best i've seen since Tinnion was playing. Lets stop harping on about his fitness all the time.

The fact we conceded the goal after he went off showed to me that we weren't retaining the ball as well as we did in the first half though.

He wasn't closing down enough for my liking and I think Byfield had to up his work rate. Also there were a lot of crosses into the box that he wasn't attacking as much as he should. His ball retention is good and I like him as a player but I wouldn't say that just because he stayed on the pitch meant that he is fitter.

Even if he was ineffective during a spell in the 2nd half, is it because of fitness?

I think it was partly to do with that but I wouldn't say that was the only reason.

Nobe's lasted 79 minutes yesterday and went some way to prove that he can last longer than the 50 minutes people on here berate him for and if he keeps putting in stints like that then he will get fitter.

Maybe he was motivated to deep even deeper and find an extra reserve of energy (almost as if he might be playing for his place?). Can't think what could have inspired him to do that yesterday...?

I agree, I thought he was excellent yesterday and key to most of our attacking play. He looked like he still had some in the tank when he went off too. Hopefully 90 minutes isn't far away.

I think he had one of his poorest games yesterday and the goal conceded had nothing to do with us not holding /retaining the ball. It was a straight goal kick, one pass and then in the back of the net.

On a positive note, I think Wilson did well and was an able replacement for McIndoe. See no reason why he shouldn't retain his place in the team

I've maintained all season that City are a better outfit when Noble is playing and yesterday was no exception.Most of City's best attacking play came through him and he was pulling the strings much of the the time he was on the pitch.He may not have the engine or run around as much as Lee Johnson but is far more clever and creative influence.He's particularly dangerous around the edge of the opposition box where his vision and ablity to play others in are at there most effective.

Thats the last two games that Noble has mage the 80 min mark and hopefully he's finally catching up with the rest of the squad having missed the entire pre-season.

I'd really like to see him bag a goal against Boro as he did last season.

I think he had one of his poorest games yesterday

On a positive note, I think Wilson did well and was an able replacement for McIndoe. See no reason why he shouldn't retain his place in the team

You thought Noble had a poor game? I'd like to know how you work that out. How do you judge whether a player plays well or not? It must be different to the rest of us.

Wilson was a real threat in the first half but less effective in the second 45 but maybe thats because most of City's play was coming down the right in the second half once Sproule got the better of the full back.

I can't see Wilson keeping his place once McIndoe is fit again simply because McIndoe is a natural left sided player where Wilson ain't.

he was on the pitch yesterday for 79 minutes AGREED, first half he played well, AGREED, however as someone else has already mentioned after about 55mins he became almost totally non effective and most of the time he was at strolling pace,

The biggest problem though was this was the spell when Sproule managed to get in a number of good crosses to the box and although missing Byfield who was getting well marked, Noble was totally struggling to keep up with play, to be honest I can't understand how he wasn't subbed earlier than he was.

another minor point is a number of people in and around the stands moan constantly when there is a mis-placed pace from Johnson, however when Noble does it, it doesn't get a mention?

Incorrect and can't believe no one else has mentioned it.

Adebola scored after 72mins, Noble was subbed on 79mins.

you do the math,

perhaps he was so ineffective and not involved in the game that you thought he'd already been subbed? :innocent06:

The biggest problem though was this was the spell when Sproule managed to get in a number of good crosses to the box and although missing Byfield who was getting well marked, Noble was totally struggling to keep up with play, to be honest I can't understand how he wasn't subbed earlier than he was.

another minor point is a number of people in and around the stands moan constantly when there is a mis-placed pace from Johnson, however when Noble does it, it doesn't get a mention?

Sproule got in about 4 crosses but none of them that I remember got past the first defender and they were all easily cleared.Byfield was in the box but could't get near them.It was nothing to do with Noble not being in the box and in fact Noble released Sproule on at least one occaision to get the cross in.

And the reason that few moan when Noble gives the ball away is simply because he doesn't do it very often whereas Johnson does it regularly and is well known for it.

Incorrect and can't believe no one else has mentioned it.

Adebola scored after 72mins, Noble was subbed on 79mins.

you do the math,

perhaps he was so ineffective and not involved in the game that you thought he'd already been subbed? :innocent06:

That's a very patronising response. I thought Adebola scored around the 82nd minute but obviously you're correct!

Sproule got in about 4 crosses but none of them that I remember got past the first defender and they were all easily cleared.Byfield was in the box but could't get near them.It was nothing to do with Noble not being in the box and in fact Noble released Sproule on at least one occaision to get the cross in.

And the reason that few moan when Noble gives the ball away is simply because he doesn't do it very often whereas Johnson does it regularly and is well known for it.

Sproule had at least 3 crosses that flashed across the 6 yard box but you're right that bh_red's theory ignores the fact that he wouldn't have been in the position to cross most times had Noble not been involved in the buildup. Those crosses are notable absent when we play 442.

if I remember rightly 2 went right across goal, byfield couldn't get to them and wilson was closing in, but no one else was even close apart from Cov defenders

Sproule had at least 3 crosses that flashed across the 6 yard box but you're right that bh_red's theory ignores the fact that he wouldn't have been in the position to cross most times had Noble not been involved in the buildup. Those crosses are notable absent when we play 442.

so.......we never actually get any crosses in when Noble isn't playing? :noexpression:

That's a very patronising response. I thought Adebola scored around the 82nd minute but obviously you're correct!

it was fair and correct statement.

you seemed more than eager to jump on the fact that the goal had come when he was off the pitch, it's worth noting that when him and Byfield left the pitch for Trundle and Enoch, we did seem to take control of the game again, perhaps if the sub had happened earlier we wouldn't have been in a postion that to have conceded.

somewhere else in another thread, I'm sure there is a mention that poor play from noble was responsible for us conceding the goal, will have quick look now.

so.......we never actually get any crosses in when Noble isn't playing? :noexpression:

Nowhere as many as we did against Coventry.

Your idea that playing two up is going to have more people on hand in the box is quite an obvious one, but there are two flaws with it.

First is that when we've played that way this season we have still had the same problem because none of the 3 forwards we've played attack the ball on crosses, they all come wide and deep to some extent.

Second is that we create far less with 2 men in the middle, we don't retain the ball as well and hence we don't dominate the midfield to the extent we did yesterday. It doesn't matter who you play next to Elliott in a 2 man midfield, they will never dominate anywhere near as much as a 3 man one.

It's swings and roundabouts. GJ is switching between the two systems situationally and that's the right thing to do. Signing Carle won't change that.

it was fair and correct statement.

you seemed more than eager to jump on the fact that the goal had come when he was off the pitch, it's worth noting that when him and Byfield left the pitch for Trundle and Enoch, we did seem to take control of the game again, perhaps if the sub had happened earlier we wouldn't have been in a postion that to have conceded.

somewhere else in another thread, I'm sure there is a mention that poor play from noble was responsible for us conceding the goal, will have quick look now.

I suggest that you get down off your high horse to be honest as I've already acknowledged I got it wrong. This post isn't about who or when Coventry scored their goal, it's about Noble going somewhere to prove doubters like you wrong by lasting, give or take, 80 minutes in the last two games which, I correct me if I'm wrong, were played in the space of 72 hours.

if I remember rightly 2 went right across goal, byfield couldn't get to them and wilson was closing in, but no one else was even close apart from Cov defenders

I don't like the 4-4-1-1 formation as it becomes 4-5-1 and with only one striker attacking the front post as Byfield did most of the second half there is no one following up on the back post and we missed a couple of open goal opportunities due to a lack of a second striker. The 4-4-1-1 formation is fine away from home using Enoch as a target man but too negative at home when i would like to see a more attacking 4-4-2 with a choice of either LJ or Noble as the creative midfielder. I know we won yesterday but to be honest Basso was far busier in the second half than their keeper and in the first half i cann't remeber him having to make too many saves (although my memory can be poor).

I personally didn't think Noble played that well yesterday and certainly no better than LJ. I thought he dropped into midfield too often in the second half and seemed to get in the way of other players at times.

Wilson was a real threat in the first half but less effective in the second 45 but maybe thats because most of City's play was coming down the right in the second half once Sproule got the better of the full back.

I can't see Wilson keeping his place once McIndoe is fit again simply because McIndoe is a natural left sided player where Wilson ain't.

Wilson did well to play the 90mins with his lack of first team football and obviously tired in the 2nd half. McIndoe has been a class act for us this season and i would expect him to come straight back into the side when fit.

And Lee Johnson...

Indeed.

I will admit, i have been one of those that have reservations about his ability and even committment on occassion.

At worst, Carle will provide much needed competition for both roles, also been quoted as being able to play wide as well, which will give McIndoe a boot up the backside as its another left footed midfielder.

If he's of the required quality, he will be an assest in a number of positions.

I suggest that you get down off your high horse to be honest as I've already acknowledged I got it wrong. This post isn't about who or when Coventry scored their goal, it's about Noble going somewhere to prove doubters like you wrong by lasting, give or take, 80 minutes in the last two games which, I correct me if I'm wrong, were played in the space of 72 hours.

yes I am a doubter, the point is.......ok he lasted on the pitch, but the question is.....should he.....have been on the pitch so long, personally speaking as others have also stated I thought he should have been brought off a heck of alot earlier than he was as he wasn't having a postive effect on the game and should have been brought off earlier,

too many games this season we have been in a position of total control in the first half then early in the 2nd half away team take control, how does a team that is supposed to control midfield by playing 5men in there so often turn into a panicing long ball team can't just put a foot on the ball and regain control despite having the extra man in midfield, i don't know what noble does at half-time but he is never the same player in the 2nd half as he is in the first and more often than not should be subbed earlier than he does get removed, if he had been subbed earlier, I'm fairly sure we wouldn't have conceded and would have costed to confortable 2 goal win at least,

He may have played 2 games in 3 days 74 hours, however the large majority of the rest of the squad have managed 4 games in 10 days without too many problems?

I think the main pointer though is the signing of Nick Carle, although he can play anywhere in midfielder in theory and also up front, his favoured position is as a Creative Central Midfielder, sounds to me like he is a player that could well be an immediate replacement for Noble (and maybe even LJ)

yes I am a doubter, the point is.......ok he lasted on the pitch, but the question is.....should he.....have been on the pitch so long, personally speaking as others have also stated I thought he should have been brought off a heck of alot earlier than he was as he wasn't having a postive effect on the game and should have been brought off earlier,

too many games this season we have been in a position of total control in the first half then early in the 2nd half away team take control, how does a team that is supposed to control midfield by playing 5men in there so often turn into a panicing long ball team can't just put a foot on the ball and regain control despite having the extra man in midfield, i don't know what noble does at half-time but he is never the same player in the 2nd half as he is in the first and more often than not should be subbed earlier than he does get removed, if he had been subbed earlier, I'm fairly sure we wouldn't have conceded and would have costed to confortable 2 goal win at least,

He may have played 2 games in 3 days 74 hours, however the large majority of the rest of the squad have managed 4 games in 10 days without too many problems?

I think the main pointer though is the signing of Nick Carle, although he can play anywhere in midfielder in theory and also up front, his favoured position is as a Creative Central Midfielder, sounds to me like he is a player that could well be an immediate replacement for Noble (and maybe even LJ)

I think suggesting that one player's fitness is why we panic in the second half is a bit ludicrous. It's psychology and it happens all over the game, not just to us and certainly not just when Noble is playing. A single goal lead always makes for a nervy last half hour and nerves often lead to players hoofing it.

IMO Noble wasn't any less effective in the second half, we dominated it about half way through, Coventry scored against the run of play and that and their substitution of Mifsud woke them up and meant that the game was more even. We still had chances to get a third right the way through.

GJ has said quite clearly that Carle is coming to compete across the whole of the midfield, I doubt very much that he is seen by the manager as an immediate replacement for Noble or Johnson. He will get into the side on merit and by situation. After Noble's game yesterday it's unlikely he will be getting dropped any time soon.

I think the mentality GJ wants from his players is one of the reasons we get less goals from forwards than other sides. They all work so hard whereas strikers that score 20+ a season tend to be far more selective about what they do in order to be in the right place at the right time.

I think suggesting that one player's fitness is why we panic in the second half is a bit ludicrous. It's psychology and it happens all over the game, not just to us and certainly not just when Noble is playing. A single goal lead always makes for a nervy last half hour and nerves often lead to players hoofing it.

IMO Noble wasn't any less effective in the second half, we dominated it about half way through, Coventry scored against the run of play and that and their substitution of Mifsud woke them up and meant that the game was more even. We still had chances to get a third right the way through.

GJ has said quite clearly that Carle is coming to compete across the whole of the midfield, I doubt very much that he is seen by the manager as an immediate replacement for Noble or Johnson. He will get into the side on merit and by situation. After Noble's game yesterday it's unlikely he will be getting dropped any time soon.

I think the mentality GJ wants from his players is one of the reasons we get less goals from forwards than other sides. They all work so hard whereas strikers that score 20+ a season tend to be far more selective about what they do in order to be in the right place at the right time.

the problem is some people BELIEVE that Noble is the only reason we have done well this season and point at games such as Norwich and Sheffield Utd as this evidence and feel the team is built around noble, whereas others believe he's an fairly decent midfielder with a awful fitness record, throughout the season and yesterday was no different in that First half, he was great, but in the 2nd half he looked knackered after 10mins, after just watching soccer night, a strange header causing lose of possesion gave coventry the chance to score.

personally, if I was Noble right now I'd be very worried about his future, out of contact at end of season and with the signing of Carle he has every right to be worried, easy enough to say "he adds competition" but as we know Johnson only signs players if he feels they are that much better than players already at the club, with "creative central midfielder" being his main position, I'd be very worried if I was Noble. Johnson equally, but due to his fitness record and consistancy I'd imagine he will still be here next season, albeit it as probably more of a squad player, noble........come end of season I think he'll be gone.

Archived