IGNORED

Brooker To Cheltenham

Mrdc

I think it makes perfect sense. Brooker takes 4-5 games to get match fit and this league is no place to carry him right now.

Why not have him ready to go and play a full 90 minutes from the start of next month?

Yep, not heard this before but its a decent decision.

Be happy for him to play for any club to get some match fitness back.

Selling permanently would be madness - loaning him out to play first team football? Totally different.

Cheltenham not that far away either so little upheaval for the guy.

http://www.thisisgloucestershire.co.uk/dis...tentPK=19472371

For god sake surely the bloke should be close to our subs bench.

He needs regular games, and he's not going to get that sat on our bench or playing the odd reserve game once a month!

The chance of going to Cheltenham and playing maybe half a dozen games would help bring him up to speed and give him the full match fitness he needs.

Besides, how can you possibly consider dropping one of Trundle, Byfield or Showunmi from the bench after the way they've all been playing lately? None have let us down, and that wouldn't send out the right signs to the rest of the squad to just drop one and bring back someone who's been out injured for so long.

I wouldn't call it madness but I don't agree with it.

Every time we've brought him back from injury previously he has not been fully physically recovered or played any reserve football, it was no wonder it took him 4-5 games to look with it.

However this time we've not done that, he has played reserve football and had plenty of time. If he can run for 90 minutes he can run for 90 minutes and he did that in the last reserve game.

Given our options up front I'd think he was worth a place on the bench getting acclimatised to this level instead of league one again. I'd also want him under the guidance of our medical staff not some other club's just in case.

I think this could benefit everyone concerned. Cheltenham will be getting a very good stiker for a month and Steve Brooker will return match fit (HOPEFULLY)

Johnson as always said first team football is better than reserve football and league one is a good level for Brooker whilst hes trying to get the necessary match fitness....

Every time we've brought him back from injury previously he has not been fully physically recovered or played any reserve football, it was no wonder it took him 4-5 games to look with it.

However this time we've not done that, he has played reserve football and had plenty of time. If he can run for 90 minutes he can run for 90 minutes and he did that in the last reserve game.

Given our options up front I'd think he was worth a place on the bench getting acclimatised to this level instead of league one again. I'd also want him under the guidance of our medical staff not some other club's just in case.

No, I think he would get more football at Cheltenham in a month than he would here, he needs matches. As for medical assistance..it's hardly Carlisle he's going to. Shouldn't disrupt him too much. Good move, can always call him back early.

Does anyone know whether he can cut it at league level any more? He's been out a long time and it can happen that players out with long term injuries are never the same player. Hope not - but why not let Cheltenham find that out rather than us.

First team experience is very different to reserve team football though mate.

I wouldn't expect him to come out of reserve games and straight into Championship matches.

A spell of first team football in a lower league (with a couple of goals) would do wonders for what they all call the "match fitness" factor.

No, I think he would get more football at Cheltenham in a month than he would here, he needs matches.

Why wouldn't he get football here? Our forwards haven't been setting the world on fire, he's exactly what we need leading the line. There's no reason we couldn't play him off the bench a few times and then start him.

As for medical assistance..it's hardly Carlisle he's going to. Shouldn't disrupt him too much.

I'd rather the medical staff looking after him had Bristol City's interests first not Cheltenham's or any other clubs.

Does anyone know whether he can cut it at league level any more? He's been out a long time and it can happen that players out with long term injuries are never the same player. Hope not - but why not let Cheltenham find that out rather than us.

exactly, rather give him a few competitve games up there and risk letting him break down, than in our team when it actually matters,

looks like a win win situation for me,

Cheltenham - get a very good player coming back to fitness

Brooker - gets fitness without the ashton gate pressures

City - get to test out a player to see if he can still cut it.

First team experience is very different to reserve team football though mate.

I wouldn't expect him to come out of reserve games and straight into Championship matches.

A spell of first team football in a lower league (with a couple of goals) would do wonders for what they all call the "match fitness" factor.

Fitness and sharpness are different things.

If he's fit to play 90 minutes he's fit enough to start in the first XI.

No, he won't be sharp, but will he get sharp enough for the Championship at the wrong end of league one in a losing side?

I'd rather the medical staff looking after him had Bristol City's interests first not Cheltenham's or any other clubs.

Why would Cheltenham's medical staff have to look after him - only immediate medical aid to be given. He could report to City staff for anything else. Don't see that's an issue really. Matter of opinion, GJ's and SB's are the ones that count and they must think it's best for all three parties.

More madness,surely an unfit Brooker would put in more effort than Showumni

That's harsh.

He'll be better than Showumni but they'll both put it in.

To be fair to him this season, Enoch puts the effort in - I just don't think he is good enough.

The Steve Brooker I remember is someone I want to see in our side 100% fit and 100% sharp - its been so long but I can remember he was a cracking player.

http://www.thisisgloucestershire.co.uk/dis...tentPK=19472371

For god sake surely the bloke should be close to our subs bench.

I'm probably going to get abused for this, but this is my opinion.

I really don't think that Brooker will be any good at this level!!!

Am I correct in saying that we are actively looking for a new striker? Or have I dreamt this?

If we are, who would be your first choice to sell?

You're right and this is a strange turn of events if Brooker joins Cheltenham.

Most City fans that I've talked to believe that Brooker has the quality to succeed at this level, which was demonstrated by his excellent performance against Coventry in the FA Cup 3rd round at the Gate, last season. His ability to hold the ball up and use his upper body strength to beat defenders is a commodity that we've been screaming out for this season, despite our lofty League position.

On paper that puts Steve ahead of our existing crop of strikers; so why loan him?

I have two views on this. Gary wants to see Brooker sharpen his skills in a lower division, where in theory he'll have more time on the ball, score a hatful of goals and return to Ashton Gate fit and bursting to make an impact on Championship defences.

The second is that Gary doesn't rate Brooker as a Championship player because of his suspect knees and is farming out the risk, in case of another breakdown.

I'm probably going to get abused for this, but this is my opinion.

I really don't think that Brooker will be any good at this level!!!

Am I correct in saying that we are actively looking for a new striker? Or have I dreamt this?

If we are, who would be your first choice to sell?

I disagree. If he can get back to the player he was I personally think he's made for the championship.... For the type of player he is, he's quite quick...... although he may not be so quick after all these injuries. Let's hope he is :fingerscrossed:

I disagree. If he can get back to the player he was I personally think he's made for the championship.... For the type of player he is, he's quite quick...... although he may not be so quick after all these injuries. Let's hope he is :fingerscrossed:

This is the big question. GJ sees him in training, he must think he needs the matches. When was the last time he played and completed a competitive match, not a reserve match - a long time ago. Give him a month at Cheltenham chuck him in to the frame then. Good move.

Archived