IGNORED

Help Me With My Kids!

easton boy

New to this web-site so please bear with me whilst I explain my predicament...

A long suffering city fan of over 30 years, finally bears fruit to a son in June 2004 - leaving me ecstatic, someone I can impart my City rantings to on a regular basis and take to the hallowed turf on Saturdays.

Obviously, not being an entire imbecile, I realised quite early that at 6 weeks old, his interest would not be in football. So, reasonably, I waited for this pre-season and decided to take him to the Yeovil home game.

We arrived about half an hour before kick off and waited patiently for the match to start. 5 minutes after kick off - disaster - he wanted to leave and go home, complaining about the noise(?!) and the fact that he was bored.

I continued to ignore him for a further 40 minutes, but at half time(sin of all sins), I finally conceded and decided enough was enough and carted him home, where I refused to speak to him for 2 weeks(joke).

The problem is not the football, he loves playing it in the back garden, but as I cannot be the first parent who has stumbled upon this problem i desperately need your help!!.

(apologies in advance if I have placed this in the wrong forum)

I took my lad when he was 4 years old and had the same challenges you describe. The noise when we scored scared the you know what out of him and he couldn't focus on the game at all for more than a minute.

There's a degree of psychology/bribery needed indeed. Copious amounts of sweets and drinks and something small to kick around in the walkways when you take him to the loo (about a hundred times in the first half alone!). Getting his favourite uncle along helped.

Whatever it takes, don't give up. My lad is a season ticket holder and loves going now, home and away (still a bit dependant on the weather sometimes).

Try and get your lad to a couple more games this season just so that in years to come he can push back all the claims from his Gas mates that he only supported City when they got into the premiership :clapping:

A long suffering city fan of over 30 years, finally bears fruit to a son in June 2004 - leaving me ecstatic, someone I can impart my City rantings to on a regular basis and take to the hallowed turf on Saturdays.

Obviously, not being an entire imbecile, I realised quite early that at 6 weeks old, his interest would not be in football. So, reasonably, I waited for this pre-season and decided to take him to the Yeovil home game.

We arrived about half an hour before kick off and waited patiently for the match to start. 5 minutes after kick off - disaster - he wanted to leave and go home, complaining about the noise(?!) and the fact that he was bored.

I continued to ignore him for a further 40 minutes, but at half time(sin of all sins), I finally conceded and decided enough was enough and carted him home, where I refused to speak to him for 2 weeks(joke).

The problem is not the football, he loves playing it in the back garden, but as I cannot be the first parent who has stumbled upon this problem i desperately need your help!!.

Tie him to a chair in front of the TV and tape his eyelids open. Give him a handful of Pro Plus tablets, a pint of redbull and

put on City's promotion DVD from last season. If you see him try to look away poke him with a cattle prod. 24 hours should do it.

Tie him to a chair in front of the TV and tape his eyelids open. Give him a handful of Pro Plus tablets, a pint of redbull and

put on City's promotion DVD from last season. If you see him try to look away poke him with a cattle prod. 24 hours should do it.

Your all heart SCT :D

Shouldn't happen.

I grew up in Frenchay, went to junior school in Fishponds and senior school in Downend.

This is the dark days when we lost to them 3-0 in Bath as well.

Never once entered my mind to support that shower of schit.

He'll find 4 or 5 other City fans and you just battle away at school in a superb minority.

###### great when you're the better team too - although very bad days when you lose.

I agree, shouldn't happen. I grew up in Kingswood and my first "live" game was at Eastville. Still supported the mighty reds, maybe the smell of gas at eastville had something to do with it though, or maybe it was the fact they were as crap then as they are now. Somethings never change - ain't it grand!

Good idea, I will dust off my official BCFC copy of that night in Liverpool when we oustung the KOP ....

One of the main reasons, I am so keen for him to follow us now of all times, is our impending promotion to the Premiership.

THIS IS NOT GLORY HUNTING !!!!

Its just that obviously parallels can be drawn to my starting to follow City in '76 and our subsequent promotion to the promised land, and this year. I just feel that it would be with a sense of irony / destiny that my son and I followed the same paths albeit 30 years apart.

Good idea, I will dust off my official BCFC copy of that night in Liverpool when we oustung the KOP ....

One of the main reasons, I am so keen for him to follow us now of all times, is our impending promotion to the Premiership.

Its just that obviously parallels can be drawn to my starting to follow City in '76 and our subsequent promotion to the promised land, and this year. I just feel that it would be with a sense of irony / destiny that my son and I followed the same paths albeit 30 years apart.

You could always ask Gary and the boys to make sure we don't go up this year! :noexpression:

Guest ashtonyate
Problem is, having recently moved to deepest darkest Yate, I am fearful that once he starts full time school in September, he might turn out to be a Sag.

However, desperately hoping he turns out to be car thief or axe murderer rather than Blue (joke)

I have lived in Yate for 50 odd years its a great place to live and if he goes to School here he might even learn to read & write not like that lot in Bristol :innocent06:

I have lived in Yate for 50 odd years its a great place to live and if he goes to School here he might even learn to read & write not like that lot in Bristol :innocent06:

a bit harsh , I hope that you are referring to our ill-educated and mis-guided blue brothers and sisters.

I myself grew up in deepest, darkest Easton and i can right soopurbabaly qwdonqw dnwqnodqw......

PS Ashtonyate, it was not a dig a Yate, which I agree is a great place to live(for the last 10 months), but on its general perception, (rightly or wrongly), of being a place frequented with terrible fashion sense i.e. lots of chavs with blue and white quartered shirts

Phil, is it true you once ate a whole cake before your friends told you there was a stripper in it?

youve dunnit again SCT...you know all my secrets..i have to go to teach all my little ninja warriors now..converted 1 from red to blue already....it will take me 10 seconds to run the 2 miles to the sacred training place..jo tau..

Must confess,

first game I watched was against Chelski in 1976, and I don't remember ANYTHING about it.

First game I remembered was being approx 7-8 versus St Mirren, cheering when City scored and cheering again in the second half when St Mirren scored, not realising teams switched ends at half time.

The replies to date are probably correct, just wondering if i could FORCE him to watch football, as I have seen plenty of kids at the Gate at this age and younger.

Have though about taping and putting MoTD on and making a game eg getting him to choose a team per game and myself taking the other team and seeing who scores the most goals - i.e. making it a game and forcing him to concentrate on watching the game

My first game was also in 1976 against Leeds & I remember it clearly, but only because it was called off due to fog half way through.

my 4 year old has got a season ticket with me .she loves going.my advice is teach him a load of city songs[ changing the odd word every now and again]. she loves it when we sing the songs at the games.

also if you sit in the dolman stand get membership to the deh it maks a huge difference to take them somewhere warm before the game and at half time

As others have said , seems to be age , just to young . Took my twin girls not long after 4 years and obviously as you have found , they just never had that 20 mins before kick off , half time and 90 mins football as top of their agenda at the time .

Suggest keep looking at the city scores on the box involving him , buy him a scarve and a city teddy and generally keep mentioning the name whenever possible . Don't let him call the teddy 'OLLY ' , keep him away from the Memorial ground area of the city and when the sags are shown on the news flick through the channels to see whats on . We would'nt want all yopur future hard work and the forums good advice to go to waste . :pacifier::pacifier:

Christ, I hope you're a grandfather before you're 60 if we're relying on your son's offspring before we qualify for Europe.

:pacifier:

My first game was also in 1976 against Leeds & I remember it clearly, but only because it was called off due to fog half way through.

Yeah, and I bet you went home early too. Typical City fan ;)

my first game was Villa Vs Chelsea back in 1966. Can't remember much apart from the standing on a huge cinder terrace.

I have 3 boys and quickly realised that you can't make 'em interested in Football.

My eldest is named after our great manager of the time - jordan (he'll thank me one day) but rapidly developed a total indifference to all things football

Even after I dressed him in City colours whenever possible. The others are more interested in Music and comics than sport and nothing I can do will change that at the moment.

No, my lot know my allegience, they each have a share in the club and hopefully are proud of their local team, I've given up trying to get 'em to come with me and all that though. maybe later in life they might get addicted, but it's up to them.

Just so long as it's not Gas connected - not having that in ANY form!!

Play Football with him as much as possible and watch any City games on TV with him. Can turn the noise up and down then. Then when it gets round to his say... 5th Birthday buy him a City shirt with his name and favourite number on the back.

Play Football with him as much as possible and watch any City games on TV with him. Can turn the noise up and down then. Then when it gets round to his say... 5th Birthday buy him a City shirt with his name and favourite number on the back.

I actually bought the full kit back in July(?) when the new kit came out, unfortunately the sponsors name only appears on kits aged 7 and above.

I Like the idea of volume control on the tv - good one.

Since 5pm have talked to him for two hours and he has decided that we are going to watch the Colchester game(yaaaay!!!)

If you see a chap with three and a half year old heading for the exit at 3-45 please don't berate me too much - I would just have given in!!!

Thanks for all your ideas

Good idea, thoughts on Yate Town or Mangotsfield? - do they still have any ex-Sags playing for them?, I know Seal went to Mangotsfield(long long time ago), but the though of paying money to watch even 9% of an ex Sag would break my heart

I'm in exactly the same position - got a boy of 3 and 1/2, and a girl of 6. Live in Frampton Cotterell, surrounded by Sags - every Christmas, Mike, one of the neighbours gets his blue & white Christmas lights up, straight away my red & white lights go up - mine are bigger, brighter, better and stay up longer!!

I've found with the kids that a general booing of all things blue and cheering all things red helps form their preferences - to the extent that they won't let me park the car next to a blue one in a car park..........

A tip that worked well for me when i was a boy, when my dad was trying to get me to support the other team i like- Kilmarnock FC.

How about taking your son to reserve games? It's a lot less noisy that first-team games, so that wont bother him as much. You wouldnt have to arrive as early for these games, so he'd take longer to get bored- if he still did.

Apart from that, just keep playing football with him in the garden, watch City whenever possible on TV, whether it be live games or just highlights.

Archived