IGNORED

Derek Riordan (many, Many Merges!)

brad blit

Is this Derek O'riordan bloke related to Celtic's Derek Riordan by any chance?

By in all seriousness... Damn shame if it is true, really fancied that one.

£500,000?

I doubt it, because according to the Daily Mail on 10th January, Celtic turned down a loan bid from Burnley because they want a transfer fee approaching £1,000,000.

See: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/arti...in_page_id=1779

£500,000?

I doubt it, because according to the Daily Mail on 10th January, Celtic turned down a loan bid from Burnley because they want a transfer fee approaching £1,000,000.

See: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/arti...in_page_id=1779

Usually I'd not trust the Daily Mail as far as I could fling a burning copy of it (not very far; I'm a bit weak) but that more or less confirms the same info the Scottish papers and news says about the bloke.

If I had a million and was in GJ's position I'd be more than tempted. Only 25, is proven at a level similar to our own, requires no permits or clearence, can't cost as much in wages as the likes of Earnshaw, Lita or other mentioned names, has a serious point to prove and (like Sproule) serious international ambitions.

If the club ends up with this fella after all the deafening silence I'd be smiling till the next transfer window.

Usually I'd not trust the Daily Mail as far as I could fling a burning copy of it (not very far; I'm a bit weak) but that more or less confirms the same info the Scottish papers and news says about the bloke.

If I had a million and was in GJ's position I'd be more than tempted. Only 25, is proven at a level similar to our own, requires no permits or clearence, can't cost as much in wages as the likes of Earnshaw, Lita or other mentioned names, has a serious point to prove and (like Sproule) serious international ambitions.

If the club ends up with this fella after all the deafening silence I'd be smiling till the next transfer window.

Andy Gray then surely on his way.

The latest update, from: http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/displa..._spring_del.php

Coyle must up fee to spring Del transparent.gif

by Alison McConnell

OWEN COYLE could offer Derek Riordan an escape route from his Parkhead hell, but the Burnley boss will be expected to up his initial offer of £400,000 for the ex-Hibs star.

Coyle is keen to land Riordan and the player would jump at the chance to get back to playing regular football again, but Celtic are believed to be holding out for double Burnley's offer.

"It's fair to say I've made enquiries about three players," said Coyle. "But there are a number of factors that need to be considered.

"The clubs need to reach agreement and the player must want to come to Burnley."

Riordan's agent Jim McArthur revealed: "I can confirm Burnley have made an enquiry, but we are still waiting to hear back from Celtic."

Gordon Strachan, meanwhile, was spotted in Manchester this week as City dumped West Ham out of the FA Cup, prompting speculation that he is lining up a move for England under-21 midfielder Mark Noble.

It's believed that Celtic would need to bid around £4m to land the 20-year-old who was England's youth team skipper. The lure of Champions League football would be a significant carrot for the midfielder as Strachan seeks to bolster his squad for the critical final 18 games of the SPL campaign.

The Hoops are four points adrift of Rangers in the table and Strachan is keen to land at least one more player before the transfer window shuts at the end of the month.

Celtic face Barcelona in the Champions league next month and will have to contend with the threat of Lionel Messi.

The Argentine playmaker had been a doubt after rupturing his thigh against Valencia last month, but has returned faster than expected.

He will take up a place on the bench this weekend.

The Spanish giants have been hit by injuries to key men. including Ronaldhino and Samuel Eto'o, so Messi's return will be a significant boost.

Publication date 18/01/08

Now Burnley have flogged Andy Gray to Charlton for £2M, I would imagine Burnley will be back in for Riorden now!

Pity as I think he is a cracking player.

£2 million for a player that definitely won't cut it in the Prem...

jeez they're desperate.

I would say the reason Johnson has not considered Riordan yet, may be because his attitude has a bit of a reputation, he has been known to kick up a fuss, and is was/ is a well known regular in many of the rough nightspots of Edinburgh on Saturday nights...and generally he is wasted....we shall see what happens

Pardew's strategy in the transfer player seems to be to buy every player that might improve someone else's squad. I so hope they stay down.

Be a laugh though watching them struggle to score a goal and come back down, eh? (As long as City get promoted with them)

Pardew's strategy in the transfer player seems to be to buy every player that might improve someone else's squad. I so hope they stay down.

Not a new strategy. In 1992, Blackburn Rovers - under the management of Kenny Dalglish and pushing for promotion supported by the money of Jack Walker, paid promotion rivals Swindon £800K on transfer deadline day for their top goal scorer, Duncan Shearer.

Shearer had scored 32 goals in 48 games for Swindon that season - 22 in 27 league games.

In the last nine games of that season, Swindon scored just 7 goals and finished in 8th place. Blackburn sneaked 6th place and were promoted through the playoffs. Shearer barely got a game for Blackburn and was transferred to Aberdeen before the start of the next season. Two year later Blackburn won the Premiership.

According to a mate of mine who is a close friend of Shearer, he asked Dalglish during the run-in to the end of the season, why he wasn't being picked. Dalglish told him that he hadn't bought him to play - he'd brought him to stop him playing and scoring for Swindon!

Seems that it's easy to play nefarious games when you've a war-chest containing significantly more money than that of your rivals.

I'm not suggesting that Pardew is doing that but I agree, he does appear to be buying more strikers than he can possibly play.

Don't like Charlton (since they beat us in the FA Cup some years ago). Don't like Pardew. Hope his strategy fails.

His target will now be Riorden, but we are a better prospect. Will Riorden sign for an English team in Jan.. Yes

Although I'm not too bothered if we don't sign anyone, I would be dissapointed if we'd not t least looked at Riorden.

If they've done their homework and decided the guy won't fit the team, fine, GJ has his way of working and it works. But it woud be a shame had we not at least thought about it.

He's he right age and type of player we seem to be missing.

His target will now be Riorden, but we are a better prospect. Will Riorden sign for an English team in Jan.. Yes

The Mail today says he is after Alan Lee for £1m.

However, that doesn't mean Riordan won't be going to Burnely. A couple of weeks ago I saw a note on teletext saying that Celtic wanted Lafferty and were prepared to offer Riordan as part of the deal to get him. Coyne could be taking Lee as a direct replacement for Blake but then doing a deal with Celtic so that he gets Riordan to replace Lafferty, plus a bit of cash to go in the bank.

More from Sky.....

Coyle to move on to other targets

Last updated: 21st January 2008

Riordan_554047.jpg Riordan: No move to Burnley

Burnley boss Owen Coyle will look elsewhere for new signings after having a bid for Celtic forward Derek Riordan rejected.

Coyle is looking to add to his squad after the sale of Andy Gray to Charlton Athletic and had been strongly linked with a move for Riordan.

The Scotland cap has struggled to establish himself as a regular at Celtic and has been mooted for a January departure.

Reports suggest Burnley offered in the region of £400,000 for the attacker, but Coyle has confirmed his bid was turned down.

He told the Daily Record: "We made a bid for Riordan, it was turned down and that's that."

The Clarets manager will now turn his attention to other targets, including Ipswich's Alan Lee, as he aims to strengthen his squad.

He added: "I'm looking at three or four different players at this moment in time.

"It's no secret we need one or two players to increase the squad, but we will try to be selective and make sure it is the right player for this football club."

one of the few forwards out their that would be interested in signing,

decent player and probably at a decent price

if your getting quoted £1.5m for Aaron McLean and then getting quoted possibly around 750k-£1m for Riorden, it's a no brainer

New Scotland manager getting announced today and I'd have thought that with players like McFadden moving so as to get more regular first team action (and youngsters like McCormack impressing at their present clubs) Riordan might be pushing for a move to get back into international contention.

And if Burnley are the other club wanting him I'd hope we'd be just as attractive as them in our present position.

Archived