IGNORED

Biggest City Dissasters

mjc bcfc

A couple in our old Div 1 days (for those of my age group) the two I am think fondly of were pretty awful for us but we loved them nevertheless. David Rodgers - the most cumbersome, pigeon footed centre back that graced Div 1 (thank god Norman Hunter was alongside him). I remember him scoring as many own goals as well as goals for City in one season. And Joe Royal - fantastic debut, 5-0 against Boro, he scored all 5 (I think) whilst on loan, we signed him and he then went another 15 games before scoring again. Great days.

I'd have to defend Dave Rogers.There were plenty less committed central defenders than him at Ashton Gate. He got stuck in, never shirked a challenge and even played as an emergency Striker for us when we first got promoted to the old first division (before Joe Royle arrived). A good honest to goodness South Bristol boy who spilt gallons of blood for the cause (especially when John Fashanu nutted him in front of the East End before he became famous). He wasn't especially skilful but he played to his strengths. Rather than one of the disasters I'd mark this 100% Club man as one of the hero's.

I'd have to defend Dave Rogers.There were plenty less committed central defenders than him at Ashton Gate. He got stuck in, never shirked a challenge and even played as an emergency Striker for us when we first got promoted to the old first division (before Joe Royle arrived). A good honest to goodness South Bristol boy who spilt gallons of blood for the cause (especially when John Fashanu nutted him in front of the East End before he became famous). He wasn't especially skilful but he played to his strengths. Rather than one of the disasters I'd mark this 100% Club man as one of the hero's.

:clap:

Total hero. He was on the local news once because he'd had to have his jaw rewired after a particulalrly brave bit of defending.

Shaun Taylor is the closest anyone's come to emulating him since.

someone needs to back me up here.i,ve scrolled around and i can,t see

our worst ever player...GARY STANLEY! christ he was godawful.anyone else agree

surely!

Hello RS,

Back you up there me mate, he was an absolute shocker of a signing, not to sure which manager did, but so say used to play for Everton! Would never of believed it.

LMBM

Didn't he also play a stupid backpass from somewhere near the halfway line in one game and end up putting one of the opposition centre forwards clean through? I'm quite sure the forward scored and that it was during his debut.

That was against Millwall away, not to sure if it was actually an own goal from the half way line, lobbing his own keeper. Denis smill payed i think £250,000 for him and later left on a free transfer after a punch up on the training ground. Does anybody know who was involved?

That was against Millwall away, not to sure if it was actually an own goal from the half way line, lobbing his own keeper. Denis smill payed i think £250,000 for him and later left on a free transfer after a punch up on the training ground. Does anybody know who was involved?

Sorry talking about Ray Attevelt.

Martin Kuhl - rotund, shambling, lump. Reminded me of all those bits of soap that sometimes get mangled into a usable shape but full of things that are really not very good.

I remember one cold Tuesday night bellowing "for Gods sake Kuhl do something" at which point he scored a 25yrd screamer - but that does not absolve him for the stupefying mediocrity he brought to the club

worst player i've seen in a city shirt in my lifetime: Brian Mitchell (who was a Smith signing - somebody above disputed that. 1992); but he was a free transfer and probably got paid nowt. Hardly his fault....!

Thanks M Red - Mitchell was a Smith signing, he cost little in transfer fees, but certainly drove the biggest and newist merc in the car park at the time, so i suspect he got a few bob under the table for signing for us.

Marvellous Marvin Harriett though made Gus Ceasar look like an England International.

I never got the Marvin Harriott hate. I thought he was underrated for what he was. A limited player, sure, made mistakes through the rawness of youth, but no way the liability some people made him out to be. At least he came in and tried when a lot of much older players went AWOL in the latter stages of Osman's reign. He setup some decent goals too with some quality crosses.

Mine would be:

1. Paul Tisdale (how could no one else mention him!?!)

2. Brian Mitchell

3. Tony Dinning

4. Steve Jones

5. Carl Hutchings

I also don't get Scott Partridge hate who was another young player from the end of the Osman era who gave his all in a side that wasn't up to scratch. He also won me tickets off Radio Bristol cos I was one of about 6000 who saw his debut at AG in the lean years so I said he'd score first away at Birmingham the following Saturday, Radio Bristol hadn't even heard of him.

He did, I won, and Geoff Twentypence got in a right shambles trying to pronounce my name.

Now the more soft minded amongst us would say 'Ah but Howells missus was dead ill and thats what probably made him a wage thief' to which I redirect the jury to the comment about Torpey having a clout on the head and concussion for about two and a half years.

You have all forgotten about o'connor.Jordan tracked him at portsmouth,handed over£250k in reddies.1 game later injured and turns up at the gas coaching then on to wolves with ward.Baird was awful but o'connor was a shocker.

I heard at the time that he attacked Mickey Mellon with a fire extinguisher! Ray Atteveld was also part of our "Triple A" attack squad away at Watford. Allison, Atteveld & Aizlewood all sent off pretty much over the same incident.

Wayne elbowed some bloke, Atteveld stamped on him on the floor, and Aizlewood (surely another contender for this terrible team) sent off for arguing about still with the ref a few mins later.

Archived