IGNORED

Please Can You Settle An Argument

lincolnreds

Wrong side of the city for that. Ashton Gate is in the City and County of Bristol.

Does anyone else get mildly annoyed when they get letters to Bristol, Avon or Bristol, Somerset or Bristol, Gloucestershire? Is it that hard for big companies to update their databases so that they just have "Bristol" for the county?

Does anyone else get mildly annoyed when they get letters to Bristol, Avon or Bristol, Somerset or Bristol, Gloucestershire? Is it that hard for big companies to update their databases so that they just have "Bristol" for the county?

It really pisses off the Avon and Somerset Police!! They spend all their time looking for criminals in Avon!!! Confuses the hell out of them!

As everyone has so rightly already responded, Bristol enjoys the status of both City and County.

"Several English rulers granted charters to Bristol but the most important was that of 1373. In this year Edward III granted a Great Charter of Liberties to the mayor and burgesses giving the borough county status in its own right".

Just after Bristol celebrated 500 years of its royal charter in 1973, the administrative County of Avon was formed in 1974 from the City of Bath, the City and County of Bristol, the southern part of the County of Gloucestershire and the northern part of the County of Somerset.

Not before time it was abolished in 1996, so we have back our rightful status of City and County!

Google Maps says Avon

Annoys me when people say Avon, doesn't exist. We have been a county since 1373, we should be proud of this fact not a lot of other cities can say that they are there own county. You just cant go making up county's when the officials like it.

Is Ashton Gate in the county of Gloucestershire?

Of course i isn't, were not up north are we.

I was actually going to quote your good self in my previous thread, Nibor.

Did you once say the site was not initially in the City limits and we had to get the boundry extended?

I think I said something like even if it isn't the boundary will be extended when they build the ring road extension however someone posted a map showing the boundary since then with the new site showing as inside it.

It was the Bristol 600 Mrs Miggins..... remember it well, a big do up the downs... another great Bristolian saying ..Up the Downs!

I also hate the Avon bit...was great when I lived in BS1 which has no area name used to fill in my adress with Bristol, Bristol. Bristol for the last three lines.

Perhaps the club should be re-named Bristol City and County!

Can understand Derby County but why Stockport or Newport County?

Up the City or should we say Up the County!! :noexpression:

Annoys me when people say Avon, doesn't exist.

The County of Avon ceased to exist in 1996, and yet a number of organisations are still referred to as Avon "something or other" and such organisations will adminstratively cover the old county of avon area which now consists of Bristol, South Glos (formerly Northavon and Kingswood Borough), Bath and N.E Somerest (formerly Bath and Wansdyke) and North Somerset (formerly Woodspring).

We therefore have Avon represented in Avon and Somerset Police, Avon Fire Brigade, Avon Ambulance Trust (which I think is still going). If you have to register a death within the abovementioned area and a post mortem has taken place, then it will have been authorised by The Coroner for the District of Avon. Employees of each of these 4 "unitary authority" councils pay into the Avon Pension Fund. There are probably a few more examples, maybe that is enough for now! :fastasleep:

And, yes, Ashton Gate and the new stadium are definitely in Bristol!

It was the Bristol 600 Mrs Miggins..... remember it well, a big do up the downs... another great Bristolian saying ..Up the Downs!

I also hate the Avon bit...was great when I lived in BS1 which has no area name used to fill in my adress with Bristol, Bristol. Bristol for the last three lines.

Perhaps the club should be re-named Bristol City and County!

Can understand Derby County but why Stockport or Newport County?

Up the City or should we say Up the County!! :noexpression:

Bristol 600 'up the downs' I remember that too ... 'It's a Knockout' with Stuart Hall and Eddie Waring ... happy days

One of the events of the 70s! I remember going Up the Downs for the celebrations, including a scout and guide jamboree. Doesn't sound much now, but it was big event at the time. We all went up to watch It's a Knockout remembered by The Chaplain - what fun, they should bring it back!

So many forms insist on you putting in a County - but be strong, resist! If you can't leave it blank, put in Bristol again! As people have said, other than in name only, there's no Avon.

Was talking to a former Avon employee who still mourns the loss of that pointless organisation. He managed to refer to the current Unitary Authorities of Bristol, South Gloucestershite, North Someret and Bath and NE Somerset as "Cuba".

Apparently Cuba stands for the "Counties that Used to Be Avon" to these numpties.

On no account should they be humoured: it's the City and County of ...

According to wikipedia

"Following the 1990s local government reforms, Avon, Cleveland, Hereford and Worcester, and Humberside were abolished. This led to a resurrection of a distinction between the local government counties and the ceremonial or geographic counties used for Lieutenancy, and also to the adoption of the term 'ceremonial counties', which although not used in statute was used in the House of Commons prior to the arrangements coming into effect. [1]

Avon was mostly split between Gloucestershire and Somerset, with Bristol regaining its status of a county of itself."

Gloucestershire used to be a bigger county and Bristol used to be within the boundaries.

For just one moment forget football and think about that thing they play in the summer. you know 6 and out over the neighbours garden,and all that when your in your out and when your out your in, anyway GLOUCESTERSHIRE CCCs headquaters are in the county and city of Bristol, NOT AVON NOT GLOUCESTERSHIRE WORK THAT ONE OUT? :englandsmile4wf::englandsmile4wf::englandsmile4wf:

Archived