IGNORED

Has Gj Reached His Limit

PAPA650

Ok before you all give me sh@t I'm a season ticket holder and iv only missed 4 games all season but after watching tonights game and downing 7-8 pints had a long debate with fellow city boys and the big question come up !!!!!!!!

Has GJ done as much as he can do ! we debated this , my answer was NO i feel promotion was there for the taking if we brought in the right players to fill in the missing gaps (a decent crosser and a full time striker ).

GJ hs exceeded all our hopes and its been a great season and i have renewed my season ticket, but i feel GJ has made some very costly team decisions which i feel has cost us automatic promotion for the club and ticket to the promise land !!!!!

SL has said money was there for GJ but he chose to stick with players who have not played up to scratch, some of his team selections has baffled me and many others I'm sure (BROOKER should have been back far sooner in my eyes) and as said above more players should have been brought in.

Trundle is a cracking ftb player but as we all seen was totally pushed off the ball with his style of play up front ! so why did'nt GJ play him in the hole ? some thing i feel NOBLE as failed to do through out the season ? i would like to see ADE and BROOKER up front with TRUNDLE in the hole but I'm not the manager?

Iv full respect to GJ and KM for a cracking season and as siad many times would have taken mid table in our 1st season any time before season kicked off, but to be in the top 6 practically all season and top i may add what the hell has gone wrong in our last 10 games ? only GJ can say or point out the problem hence my original question is GJ the right man to take us any further ?? at YEOVIL he said he had done all he could do so is he at that point now mmmmmmmmmm ????????????? please don't slag me off just feel really gutted to come this far and fall at the final hurdle ! i would have prefered to have been mid table and stay up rather than blowing a really good chance to go up automatic, maybe il feel better in the morning when the drink wares off but same question is spinning around in my head grrrrrrrr hope we do get play offs and you can all slag me off and i willl eat humble pie ? off to bed now read responce in the morning

I think GJ will get us where we want to be in the next couple of years and I think he is the right man.

But, nobody is above recrimination and it has to be said that not expanding the playing staff in January has been a mistake in hindsight (I agreed at the time so fully understand the decision), as has not trying for a decent "emergency loan" in the last few weeks! (use the term emergency loan loosely).

Yes there has been some strange subs at times and yes, I agree that Trundle should have been tried for a few games playing in a position behind a front two.

I also felt that giving Betsy a go at times may have helped us and I also feel that Fontaine/Carey is our best central defensive partnership, but, we will never know if decisions like this has truly cost us so why dwell on it?

The important thing now is for everybody to accept that auto-promotion was slightly above us, but, we still have a decent shout at the play-offs; yes we will qualify for them before anybody says.

BTW, didn't we look better with Noble and Trundle both on the pitch? If accommodating this means no natural right-sided player, then so be it. I can see it now; Noble floating inside whilst Skuse/Elliot makes a run on the right to take the defender away; two on the deck passers making triangles around Sheffield United and Preston with McIndoe always hugging the touchline to deliver as he did in the 2nd half. We'll score a hat-full !! :tumbleweed:

GJ is one of the best things to happen to this club, and one day because of shit like this we will lose him because of it.

Mark my words.

GJ got it wrong last night and people are entitled to mention that on a forum. If he threatens to leave the club every time someone questions his tactics then he is simply not cut out for football management.

GJ is one of the best things to happen to this club, and one day because of shit like this we will lose him because of it.

Mark my words.

GJ - like all managers - will leave clubs (us):-

a) Because he is offered more money to go to a "bigger" club (or Watford)

or

b) Because we have a crap season and get relegated

It will NEVER be because fans come on here and question some of his decisions - how naive is that?

Mark my words.

No we wont, that is utter crap.

If you think the stuff on here is bad then you should have a look at other clubs boards and in comparison this site is tame.

Oh and if Johnson cant take a bit of stick then he really is in the wrong job.

GJ has done a remarkable job in taking a pretty ordinary bunch of players to such a high spot in the Championship. Yesterdays team selection was puzlling to say the least. The 4-4-2 has not worked well, Byfield has looked out of sorts, Skuse & Elliott has not worked, Wilson does not look comfortable on the right side of midfield. I expected us to go back to the 4-5-1 which has been our most successful formation, or even 5-4-1 with a view to just keeping it tight. If we bore the ass off Sky TV viewers and win 1-0, who cares?

Still, with Ipswich's late goal, we need just 1 point to make the play Offs, so it's not all doom and gloom, and if we play Watford, we have a great chance to get to Wembley as they are in even worse form than us.

the starting line up I couldn't understand.

Byfield - No - Should have been Trundle.

Wilson - HELL NO - said it all last week, Great Right Back - TERRIBLE RIGHT WING - despite his form still believe Sproule would have offered more than Wilson in that position.

Nearly as naive as believing that managers don't react to fans opinions.

So - you are GJ pick your answer:-

a) You are leaving as you have been offered more money

b) You are being made to leave as City are playing crap

c) You are leaving becasue something nasty was posted on a forum

And you think it could be c) - that is really naive - sorry

BTW, didn't we look better with Noble and Trundle both on the pitch? If accommodating this means no natural right-sided player, then so be it. I can see it now; Noble floating inside whilst Skuse/Elliot makes a run on the right to take the defender away; two on the deck passers making triangles around Sheffield United and Preston with McIndoe always hugging the touchline to deliver as he did in the 2nd half. We'll score a hat-full !! :tumbleweed:

I think we'd score a hatful if we used the whole "WIDTH" of the pitch. Get both our wide players on touchlines and entertain us!

Without wide wingers, we have no outlet, therefore we play the ball long and it just comes straight back to us.

Why can't the coaching staff stick the wingers as far wide as possible and give instructions to the rest of the players to switch from side to side to stretch the opponents - it's what West Brom have been doing all season.

I'd rather we lost a thrilling 4-2, than a boring 2-1 without entertainment.

One final thing, when Gj first joined the club, he mentioned that he likes his teams to entertain - well I haven't seen too much of that recently. Goals entertain, and look how many of those we've had the last two seasons?!

The side he started with yesterday was clearly selected to try and hold Stoke for a period and then allow us to make attacking changes when needed. I didn't see to much of a problem with that. The real issue is some of players just couldn't cope with the pressure and underperformed. As an example (sorry Jamie!) McAllister was surely not instructed to just hoof the ball 50 yards every single time he took possession was he?

It seemed that some players when on the ball just did the classic "oh i will just float a lovely 50 yard ball up to one of our players, at least then it looks like ive done something with it" only for the ball to be gobbled up by the Stoke defence. Did we win the first ball once in there half in the first 45?

I'm bitterly disappointed after the performance last night but i feel GJ is doing everything he can with what he has got. Right now that's a squad severely lacking in creativity and self expression. The cause of this.......zero confidence.

So - you are GJ pick your answer:-

a) You are leaving as you have been offered more money

b) You are being made to leave as City are playing crap

c) You are leaving becasue something nasty was posted on a forum

And you think it could be c) - that is really naive - sorry

Something?? Singular?? It's reaching a crescendo. And of course it will have an affect: You pick your answer.

a) You're elaving cos you've been offered the same money but the fans love you;

b) You're leaving cos you've been offered the same money and the fans give you nothing but abuse.

C) Do you not think that part of the reason Pulis went to Pompey was because he knew that we (the fans) didn't want him?

That's naive!

Something?? Singular?? It's reaching a crescendo. And of course it will have an affect: You pick your answer.

a) You're elaving cos you've been offered the same money but the fans love you;

b) You're leaving cos you've been offered the same money and the fans give you nothing but abuse.

C) Do you not think that part of the reason Pulis went to Pompey was because he knew that we (the fans) didn't want him?

That's naive!

But the fans have not said they don't want him - some have said he has made some duff decisions in the last few months - and he has - are you suggesting GJ is so small minded he is going to pack his bags?

Pulis and his departure is not even in the same league it is simplistic to link the two when the situations are so different -

GJ - and his supporters (and I don't mind the guy - not a devotee like some but not in the hang him brigade) - should just grow up and be honest - he has got a few things badly wrong - yes we can still go up via play offs and he will be a legend - but even Ferguson makes mistakes trouble with this forum is you can't even have a sensible chat about it without getting slagged off.

This post is utter b******s, gj has done a fatastic job with this club and has as stated exceeded all expectations this season.. what i find amazing is that after being out of this division for so many years most of us if not all of us were happy to consolidate our position in this league, whether that be 4th from bottom or any other position in the table.. if this season would have panned out different and we would of finished mid table, say 15th, and consolidated, everyone on here would have been praising johnson on what a great job he has done for the club and how he has ensured that the club will be playing in the championship for more than one season..

Fans can comment all they want on what they think the line ups should be but the fact of the matter is that we don't spend all week with the players and we don't know what gj and km's game plans are.. but what we do know is that, this is the first manager in the time that i've been watching city (about 15 years) that has managed to get us in this position, so all i can say is well done gary and keep up the good work.. :clap:

this is why i rarely understand why i support this club

supporters like u ruin the atmosphere that should be echoing around ashton gate

why are we questioning our manager(the best we have ever had) when we should be giving the lads some fooookin credit, no one has yet,

in my years of supporting the reds i don't think the constant moaning has quite annoyed me so much, how can we possibly moan, we are successful, we play good football, we have a superb chairman awesome manager(with a personality)

the only problem i can see in this club is moaning fans who consistenlty question the man who has got us further than we have got for many a decade

if you really did know better than GJ, why is it that u are only a supporter, not involved in football??? fair question don't you think?

arrse holes

utter arrse holes

This post is utter b******s, gj has done a fatastic job with this club and has as stated exceeded all expectations this season.. what i find amazing is that after being out of this division for so many years most of us if not all of us were happy to consolidate our position in this league, whether that be 4th from bottom or any other position in the table.. if this season would have panned out different and we would of finished mid table, say 15th, and consolidated, everyone on here would have been praising johnson on what a great job he has done for the club and how he has ensured that the club will be playing in the championship for more than one season..

Fans can comment all they want on what they think the line ups should be but the fact of the matter is that we don't spend all week with the players and we don't know what gj and km's game plans are.. but what we do know is that, this is the first manager in the time that i've been watching city (about 15 years) that has managed to get us in this position, so all i can say is well done gary and keep up the good work.. :clap:

Seconded, the club has come on leaps and bounds since GJ has been manager, i'm amazed at how many people are prepared to slate him. Sure mistakes have been made and i've disagreed with some team selections, but, GJ is a a top quality football manager, i'm not! (Nor are others on here who quite clearly think they are but quite frankly just make themselves look ridiculous with some of their comments). GJ will get us to the prem at some point, of that I have no doubt, shame he has to put up with some...ahem...'supporters' who would obviously have had us promoted by february and in europe next year if they were manager........wouldn't they?!!!!

this is why i rarely understand why i support this club

supporters like u ruin the atmosphere that should be echoing around ashton gate

why are we questioning our manager(the best we have ever had) when we should be giving the lads some fooookin credit, no one has yet,

in my years of supporting the reds i don't think the constant moaning has quite annoyed me so much, how can we possibly moan, we are successful, we play good football, we have a superb chairman awesome manager(with a personality)

the only problem i can see in this club is moaning fans who consistenlty question the man who has got us further than we have got for many a decade

if you really did know better than GJ, why is it that u are only a supporter, not involved in football??? fair question don't you think?

arrse holes

utter arrse holes

The players set their standard earlier in the season, and the last 10 games have been nowhere near that standard. The football we've played in these last 10 games has been long ball - thats not good football in my eyes.

Agree that Gj is good manager, but he's making as many mistakes as the players.

Agree that SL is a great chairman also.

I suspect we'll discover just how good a manager we have about a third of the way into next season. If we rely on our current squad playing our current style of football then chances are we'll find ourselves roughly where we thought we'd be at that stage this year.

The players undoubtedly played with extreme confidence on the back of the success of promotion and an unexpectedly good start to the season that took the pressure of a relegation battle off them but as soon as the reality of what was possible hit home they've evidently failed to handle it and the blame for that lies somewhere within the playing staff, their limited talent and GJ's inability to lift them when things started to go wrong.

Like many I've found it difficult to explain the change of tactics over the last 10-15 games which I believe has led to this lack of form although the combination of McCombe at the back and Adebola up front contributed enormously.

Small observations such as our inability to kill off games or look likely to come back if the opposition score first have also been a cause for concern.

However my biggest doubt for next season rests with the quality and effectiveness of our signings. Elliott and McIndoe have largely been hugely influencial, but Sproule and Byfield have shone very occasionally, Vasko and Trundle have the ability but in my opinion have neither been given the run required to build confidence and allow them to settle into the team and form an understanding with their forward/defensive partners. Adebola works hard but has undoubtedly led to a less entertaining and effective style of play and Carle's introduction has been largely coinciding with our decision to bypass midfield, even then accepting that we rarely play him in the same position twice.

If we can't strengthen the side with the players we bring in we've got problems and if we do believe they'll strengthen the side firstly we have to play them and possibly consider playing them in the role they were brought in for rather than makeshift attackers , rt wingers etc.

To my mind these are mistakes we can't carry on making and obviously these were all GJ's decisions. As I say let's see whether we learn from them next season.

Reached his peak?.. don't be wet.

There is no limit if you believe.

I will say this right now for the record.

Assuming we fail in the play offs, Gary will have us back near the top next season. He is a winner and he will re-motivate the team, make a few changes and be back next season for another serious bash at promotion.

We have had a fantastic season whatever happens. The disappointment of yesterday will last a long time for many of us but its gone now. We can only look forward and see if we can take 3 draws from the next 3 and then 2 wins.. and that will see us promoted.

Beer has worn off now feel a bit better than last night, seems to be alot of mixed views about my original post and has been a good read , glad some people feel like i do on a wasted chance !!!

1st i would like to point out to all fans i am not saying GJ is a bad manager i just said he has made some very bad decisions this year especially the last 10 games 2 more wins amongst those matches and we were up !!! but now we are chasing a play off place because of it 2 games and 2 points needed please no more pain lets do it next game and not leave us on tender hooks for last game oF season :fingerscrossed:

fans are saying i'v expected to much ie promotion and not praising a good season and staying up in the ccc !!! yes i am happy we've stayed up but I'm disapointed we have wasted a bl@@dy good chance of the promise land, i don't think the ccc has been this close for many a year and wont be available again in a hurry so hopefully fans can see my point ! yes a great season and yes we blew great chance of going up !!

back to my opening line and thread GJ is a great manager and i love him to bits and he will go down as a great manager for the club but has he reached his limits ?

GARY JOHNSON = A CCC MANAGER OR B PROMISE LAND MANAGER

If the club decided Gary J had taken City as far as he can,

1. who would we appoint in his place and

2. who would take the job?

I agree with the post stating that yes mistakes have been made, but lessons will be learnt. 74-75 season City finished 5th, but did not tell Alan D he'd taken the club as far as he could. He was left to complete the job.

If the club decided Gary J had taken City as far as he can,

1. who would we appoint in his place and

2. who would take the job?

I agree with the post stating that yes mistakes have been made, but lessons will be learnt. 74-75 season City finished 5th, but did not tell Alan D he'd taken the club as far as he could. He was left to complete the job.

I've been thinking exactly the same and regularly trawl through David Woods: City The Modern Era, looking at each campaign from 1967-68, through to the middle of 1999-2000.

During the 74-75 season Dicks was continually changing his front two, because they weren't scoring regularly. Donnie Gillies finished as top League scorer with nine goals, in a total of 47 for and 33 against.

Strangley, City conceded 35 goals in the 75-76 promotion camapaign, 2 more than the previous season, but they scored 59, thanks largely to a settled front two; the devastating partnership of Paul Cheesley and Tom Ritchie, who finished with 15 and 18 strikes respectively.

Archived