IGNORED

Gary Johnson Has Asked Us To Clarify The Comments...

greenun

...he made in the wake of Saturday's 2-1 defeat to Stoke City.

He used the phrase: "We bottled it in the first half" which was included in yesterday's back page report under the headline "Bottlers".

Johnson says the headline did not accurately reflect his comments as the performance improved in the second half and he had not accused his players of being "bottlers".

Well, the EP were never going to apologise.

What do you lot think of their 'clarification'?

He used the phrase: "We bottled it in the first half" which was included in yesterday's back page report under the headline "Bottlers".

Johnson says the headline did not accurately reflect his comments as the performance improved in the second half and he had not accused his players of being "bottlers".

Looks as if the EP are back tracking but as you say stopping short of a full apology. Fair play to Johnson for taking it up with them.Lots of managers would simply dismiss the article as 'paper talk' and shrug it off. Its about time that someone stood up to them.

The "Bottlers" article was written by......Andy Stockhausen......and he's quoted Gary Johnson out of context.

The "Bottlers" article was written by......Andy Stockhausen......and he's quoted Gary Johnson out of context.

Of course, the headline "Bottlers", was completely out of context with Gary comments. However, headlines are usually written by sub-editors, and agreed by a departmental editor, not the writer (Andy Stockhausen). If we should blame someone, blame the Sports Desk.

Of course, the headline "Bottlers", was completely out of context with Gary comments. However, headlines are usually written by sub-editors, and agreed by a departmental editor, not the writer (Andy Stockhausen). If we should blame someone, blame the Sports Desk.

Given that our Police often exaggerate, and even falsify, a minor misdemeanor to make charges 'stick' I'd say that Andy Stockhausen's ideal vocation would be as a corrupt Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) lawyer. What better set of corrupt CPS lawyers could the Police have than the Evening Post's writers, sub-editors, and departmental editor to quote some poor innocent out of context in court to get a conviction???!!!!

I'd agree with that.

I used to write for a football paper on an ad hoc basis, but refused to continue after a couple of articles I did for them were sensationalised with headlines that bore little or no relation to the content.

It's generally the one thing that the writer of the article doesn't write, but which draws the most attention and is remembered more than the content.

It's notable that the online version of the story doesn't have that headline.

I'd agree with that.

I used to write for a football paper on an ad hoc basis, but refused to continue after a couple of articles I did for them were sensationalised with headlines that bore little or no relation to the content.

It's generally the one thing that the writer of the article doesn't write, but which draws the most attention and is remembered more than the content.

It's notable that the online version of the story doesn't have that headline.

So Inspector Clouseau - Andy Stockhausen is now the 'fall guy' for the Evening Post's hopelessly Gas ridden editorial staff ?? :icecream:

So Inspector Clouseau - Andy Stockhausen is now the 'fall guy' for the Evening Post's hopelessly Gas ridden editorial staff ?? :icecream:

A huge percentage of the reporters and office staff at the Evening Post support Bristol Rovers.

I know this for a fact, as I know a couple of people who used to or still do work there.

I don't know about Stockhausen himself but I have my suspicions.

A huge percentage of the reporters and office staff at the Evening Post support Bristol Rovers.

I know this for a fact, as I know a couple of people who used to or still do work there.

It's about time that the Evening Post's owners did something about the Gas infestation in their Sport department as they're damaging the reputation of their newspaper. The Evening Post has made every underhand attempt over the years to undermine this club's players, this club's supporters, and now the best manager we've had in 30 odd years. The Evening Post's and WDP's editorial staff are quite obviously hopelessly Gas ridden and it shows in most articles those papers print about this football club.

The Evil Post is barely useful for wrapping chips, the club should just tell them to **** off and give them no access nor allow them to use bcfc.co.uk content. They consistently stab us in the back and when they go out of business as many newspapers will in the coming years I will be laughing at them.

The solution is eay for me.

I never buy the EP or WDP and if you were all like me they'd go bust.

Having said that, GJ seems a tad confused about the media and BCFC can't have it both ways.

It isn't there to support the club, it's there to report on what happened & what was said.As long as it's get's it's facts straight then fine.If the reporter in question reports that City were appalling in the first half, that'll do for me becaue it's the EP not bl00dy Pravda.As Green Un says, it was the Headline not the content that GJ complained about and that was down to the Editor.

It concerns me when I see the club at loggerheads with the local press and this isn't new, hence Nathan Jones's exile to Yeovil.Those who don't toe the party line are not welcome at AG.

If we reach the Prem, the coverage will ramp up overnight and it will get a lot worse as the national boys will decamp to AG in search of stories, both football & non football related.That's the price you pay for being on Sky and earning the big bucks.

The written media does not support football, it feeds on it.

Sky support football financially, as do other TV Stations and you could write a book on whether that's good or bad, however, it uses football to obtain income and a salacious headline or two, sadly I know, attracts interest.

When I look at the abuse that's directed at Benitez it makes me shake my head in bewilderment and I honestly wonder if GJ could take that or anything like it.Gary Megson is more or less called incompetent on a daily, if not hourly basis!!

Clever managers use the media but realise that it will never be their friend.

I never buy the EP or WDP and if you were all like me they'd go bust.

I bought the Evening Post of April 21st and the big colour picture they printed was of Basso getting beaten by Sidibe for the first goal. Why didn't they show our goal with the Stoke net rippling??!!! Whatever way you look at it, what should be OUR local paper - The 'Bristol' Evening Post - is anti-BCFC.

I bought the Evening Post of April 21st and the big colour picture they printed was of Basso getting beaten by Sidibe for the first goal. Why didn't they show our goal with the Stoke net rippling??!!! Whatever way you look at it, what should be OUR local paper - The 'Bristol' Evening Post - is anti-BCFC.

Gas, all the way down from the editor-in-chief to the geezer who sells the rag outside the old mothercare

I'm no great fan of the Bristol Evening Post, but I find it difficult to criticize them for using the word 'Bottlers' when Johnson said 'We bottled it in the first half" - presumably one definition of 'bottler' might be 'someone who bottles it'. If GJ hadn't wanted to imply that his team were bottlers, he would have been better advised to have avoided the term 'bottled it' altogether. As it is, I think the Evening Post were entitled to print the headline.

Incidentally, I've emailed Stockhausen about errors in City reports many times, but never had the courtesy of a reply.

Gas or otherwise, the whole paper is a shambles, not just the sport. It's full of the most poorly researched, ill informed and downright bigoted sensationalist claptrap you'll ever read. It makes the Daily Mail look thoughtful and considered by comparison.

It's all very well saying "don't buy it" but there are a huge number of people who use it as their main source for information about Bristol City. For those who don't have BCFC World or any kind of Internet access at all it's one of the only sources of information available, so it's no wonder a lot of people get completely misinformed ideas about what's happening at the club.

I don't generally buy any local papers because they're all fairly poor in my experience but the Yorkshire Evening Post that we get up here seems far more supportive of the local teams than the Bristol paper does of either City or Rovers.

The club is still only two wins and a slice of good fortune away from the Premier League. Is it too much to ask for the local paper to be a bit supportive?

The club is still only two wins and a slice of good fortune away from the Premier League. Is it too much to ask for the local paper to be a bit supportive?

The Bristol Evening Post and sister paper The Western Daily Press have to be the only 'local' papers in England not 100% supportive of the main football club in their catchment area. Disgraceful when you think about it. What a mean hearted headline - "Bottlers". :disapointed2se:

I'm no great fan of the Bristol Evening Post, but I find it difficult to criticize them for using the word 'Bottlers' when Johnson said 'We bottled it in the first half" - presumably one definition of 'bottler' might be 'someone who bottles it'. If GJ hadn't wanted to imply that his team were bottlers, he would have been better advised to have avoided the term 'bottled it' altogether. As it is, I think the Evening Post were entitled to print the headline.

Incidentally, I've emailed Stockhausen about errors in City reports many times, but never had the courtesy of a reply.

Gary Johnson had his reasons for saying what he said. The Evening Gas, as a consequence, may have been "entitled" to print the headline but what were they hoping to achieve by doing so? Do you think that the local newspaper in Bristol, putting aside their "entitlement" for one second, should show a group of football players who have worked their b0ll0ck$ off and exceeded all expectations whilst representing the City of Bristol fantastically week in, week out over the last eight months a little more respect than to label them all BOTTLERS?

Perhaps Stockhausen or anybody else at the Evening Post who sanctioned the headline should approach Louis Carey, Marvin Elliott, Bradley Orr and Basso in the club car park this week and call them BOTTLERS as a mark of appreciation for their efforts this season. As you say, he/they would be perfectly ENTITLED to do so!!

Quite simple unless you are desperate for toilet paper - don't buy the rags!

GJ's comments were totally taken out of context and twisted to sell their poor excuse for a SAGS fanzine.

If all true Reds boycotted the rag then they would soon go out of business and we would all do GJ a tremendous favour.

BELIEVE

To say they were "bottlers" based on GJ's analysis of 50% of the game is not really fair. However, I would say it is a fair assessment of the team's performance over the last month or so. If they want to prove me wrong they are welcome to come out and do so against the blades this weekend.

:fingerscrossed:

Agree.

Johnson: 'We bottled it'

Best angle - Bottlers.

The EP did not even have to offer the clarification in my opinion, only doing so to maintain relations with GJ.

Because we lost. The main picture must tell the story. You wouldn't use a picture of Alan Shearer's 3rd-minute goal to illustrate England getting knocked out of Euro 96 on pens because it is rendered irrelevant.

Our goal at Stoke was irrelevant, therefore, no pic.

On a related subject - and apologies if you've done this to death a million times previously - but, it can't be in the interests of Geoff Twentyshades and BBC Radio Bristol for City to get in the prem can it? Presumably, when that happens, BBC local radio will lose the rights to do commentaries on our games? I may be a bit over-sensitive too it, but I seem to detect no particular sadness on the part of GT that we are not running away with the CCC. Thoughts? :fish:

Because we lost. The main picture must tell the story. You wouldn't use a picture of Alan Shearer's 3rd-minute goal to illustrate England getting knocked out of Euro 96 on pens because it is rendered irrelevant.

Our goal at Stoke was irrelevant, therefore, no pic.

So much for any support for our main local football club from our main regional newspaper.

Bristol Evening Post = Traitors

I love Bristol City, but we have bottled it. Since we beat Hull our performances have been awful, even the Norwich game could have quite easily been a heavy defeat. I don't understand the problem with the word "bottlers" in context with the phrase "we bottled it", it means the same thing in my opinion. I'd be interested to hear any opinions from people who feel that we haven't bottled it!!

I love Bristol City, but we have bottled it. Since we beat Hull our performances have been awful, even the Norwich game could have quite easily been a heavy defeat. I don't understand the problem with the word "bottlers" in context with the phrase "we bottled it", it means the same thing in my opinion. I'd be interested to hear any opinions from people who feel that we haven't bottled it!!

Why is this only your second ever post? If you love Bristol City - as you state - why have you not posted your 'love' for this club since this forum was founded 11 years ago in 1997? :noexpression:

Guest MaloneFM
I'd be interested to hear any opinions from people who feel that we haven't bottled it!!

You should go to Specsavers.

Seen the word 'believe' about the place recently?

On a related subject - and apologies if you've done this to death a million times previously - but, it can't be in the interests of Geoff Twentyshades and BBC Radio Bristol for City to get in the prem can it? Presumably, when that happens, BBC local radio will lose the rights to do commentaries on our games? I may be a bit over-sensitive too it, but I seem to detect no particular sadness on the part of GT that we are not running away with the CCC. Thoughts? :fish:

Why would the beeb lose the rights to broadcast??? Local radio stations cover every team in the country. The only place that gets slightly confusing is London but that is due to the amount of teams playing there.

And just on the subject of bottlers GJ said the team bottled it.... therefore any journo worth his salt would have reported Johnson claimed his team bottled it!!?? I don't understand what the prob is.

If you want completely biased positive City spin on events just read the official website. If you want a neutral point of view read the paper. You think the local journos don't want to travel round premier league grounds next year rather than Bury, Tranmere and Hartlepool like they have to in years gone by???!

Why should the local paper put a positive spin on City blowing the chance to move into the automatic promotion places?? Some people on here need a reality check.

And just on the subject of bottlers GJ said the team bottled it.... therefore any journo worth his salt would have reported Johnson claimed his team bottled it!!?? I don't understand what the prob is.

If you want completely biased positive City spin on events just read the official website. If you want a neutral point of view read the paper. You think the local journos don't want to travel round premier league grounds next year rather than Bury, Tranmere and Hartlepool like they have to in years gone by???!

Why should the local paper put a positive spin on City blowing the chance to move into the automatic promotion places?? Some people on here need a reality check.

Our local papers do not provide a neutral point of view - they're anti-BCFC. Never in a million years could I imagine a decent - 'worth his salt' - journalist like 'RedTop' of this forum writing such a headline as "Bottlers" and celebrating the Stoke goal against us with a massive back page picture.

Bristol Evening Post = Traitors

Archived