IGNORED

Biggest Game For Years

bs16bcfc

Why do we get this drivel every time we get a big game?

The fact is, there is a small hardcore of what I term "fans" (or "fanatics" to give it its full name) who eat, breath and sleep Bristol City. They follow the team everywhere and spend a significant portion of their lives and income doing so. Well done to them - good show!

The majority of the rest (myself included) are what I call "supporters". For us, Bristol City is not "the be all and end all" of our existence. We support the team (and most of us are season ticket holders) and attend most/all home games, the occasional away game and the odd play-off/cup appearance. But we have a life outside of Bristol City which demands our time and attention.

So when we don't sell out for a significant away game in the future, don't measure our commitment by your narrow-minded view that, unless we follow the team everywhere, we are 2nd-rate support.

I don't deny your right to spend vast amounts of your time and money to follow City, so have some respect for those of us who either can't or won't put the importance of a football club above our family and work commitments.

well said, personally just bought my season ticket in the last month, plus I've been a number of away games in last couple of months all of which had to be paid for alongtime before, palace is just one to many at the moment, plus I've got my holidays in the summer which I've just finished paying off.

generally speaking, if a game is on sky and it's away, it's usually one of the first games that gets missed.

if we do get to wembley, I'll worry about that at the time,

No-one else seems to have commented on it, but my main reason for not purchasing was the fact that they advertised it as one ticket per caller at the stadium in person, and even when you tried to buy online it would only let you reserve one at a time.

The wife would have chopped me balls off if I got a ticket without her, but she couldn't get one herself as she's at work all day. And in truth I was a little worried that if we bought separately we'd be stuck in different parts of the stand.

However, I've just given the club a call, and they let me buy two tickets (presumably as they're still trying to shift them). So, if anyone else thought the same, give the club a call before 2pm, and you'll be OK.

I noted the look of surprise on people's faces at the player of the year event last night when I said I'm not going on Saturday.

It's not a money thing for me (although £30 and £18 does leave it's mark), it's simply having a life that's too full. In that respect, I echo Simply Red's comments that even for the most important games, sometimes something has to give. I'm already shifting my work diary around on Tuesday to try to get to Ashton Gate before half-time.

I went to Watford when it was on TV and the fans that were there gave it their all. I sometimes think we perform better away from home without a sell out following. I went to Palace earlier in the season and we didn't exactly cover ourselves in glory on or off the field, same could be said for Ipswich, QPR, West Brom and Southampton.

Disappointing we haven't sold out, but understandable I think.

The sad fact of life in this country is that football clubs are pricing real fans out of getting to games. The sooner clubs realise this the better.

As well as Sky messing about with kick off times/days to suit their scheduling.

It'll only get worse if we go up, and I wonder how anyone is meant to plan for going to every game in the top flight, when so many games are moved to early kick offs, Sundays or Monday nights.

Personally, I may have had a slim chance of getting to the game had it been a 3pm kick off, but as it stands I have absolutely no chance, with other commitments in the morning.

The sad fact of life in this country is that football clubs are pricing real fans out of getting to games. The sooner clubs realise this the better.

Price is the main factor but the kick off time is another factor too. But what can you expect when football has prostituted itself to it's pimp, Sky TV. The pimp has decided that people have to pay around £80 including travel costs for the "privelege" of getting out of bed at 5-6am on a Saturday morning if they want to to get to Selhurst Park and support their football club. That is the rub of accepting the Sky TV money.

I think the stance of just one ticket per person has put off hundreds of people.

The fact that they sold you two tickets is another example of the inconsistency of ticketing arrangements at the club.

Either it's one ticket each or it's not - simple really.

One person could collect ten tickets - as long as they had ten AA vouchers on them. Why wouldn't you lift the restriction in the last two hours of sales when it is clear that there are around 600 still unsold? If they didn't do that everyone would be berating the club's "lack of common sense". You can't have it all ways.

Fair play to all those going to London but people aren't going to this game either because it is on sky, they can't afford it or both. It's up to each individual to decide and not for others to comment on. Get over yourselves.. as long as AG is pumping on Tuesday night which I'm sure it will be, then that is all that matters.

I say fair play to eveyone thats going, and fair play to everyone thats not... We've had a great season this season, we need to all stick together now instead of the old ''my dads better than your dad'' situation.

So altogether ''come on you reeeeedddddsssss''

As well as Sky messing about with kick off times/days to suit their scheduling.

It'll only get worse if we go up, and I wonder how anyone is meant to plan for going to every game in the top flight, when so many games are moved to early kick offs, Sundays or Monday nights.

Personally, I may have had a slim chance of getting to the game had it been a 3pm kick off, but as it stands I have absolutely no chance, with other commitments in the morning.

You make a good point there. There has been a lot of talk about getting to away games in the Premier League should we make it. With some of the ridiculous kick off times we might face (say Newcastle/Middlesbrough/Sunderland at 12:30 or 5:15pm on a Saturday or 4pm on a Sunday) tickets may be easier to get hold of for many games than people think.

You make a good point there. There has been a lot of talk about getting to away games in the Premier League should we make it. With some of the ridiculous kick off times we might face (say Newcastle/Middlesbrough/Sunderland at 12:30 or 5:15pm on a Saturday or 4pm on a Sunday) tickets may be easier to get hold of for many games than people think.

To be fair Newcastle is very easy to get to... I visited St James Park when we went to Boro, and its not even an hour flight. 12.30 kick off, you could leave bristol at 10 on a plane, which if booked early enough costs about £20 including tax

Thats not the point i know but Newcastle was a bad example. Boro on the otherhand is a nightmare! Long train ride or drive, or a an hour train from newcastle!

I only just noticed that coaches depart 7am tomorrow!

Thats a 4.30am departure tomorrow morning from my house for me, and i will be working in a bar till 2/3am oh dear!

Every heard of a part-time JOB????

Students like you do my head in.

Have you ever tried to get a 1st class degree whilst holding down a part time job?

You'd be looking at balancing the two 8am - 11pm 5 days a week or more for 3 years if you're lucky.

Full time education is exactly that. We wouldnt ask you to do an 8 hour shift then do 4 hours in McDonalds...

Fair play to all those going to London but people aren't going to this game either because it is on sky, they can't afford it or both. It's up to each individual to decide and not for others to comment on. Get over yourselves.. as long as AG is pumping on Tuesday night which I'm sure it will be, then that is all that matters.

The tie could be done and dusted by the time comes to the Gate on Tuesday. We could be 3-0 down already in which case the Gate will be flat or we could be 3-0 up in which case I'd put money on people who were in a position to go tomorrow wishing they'd gone to Selhurst. Let's just hope there's something to play for on Tuesday, for everyone's sake.

We sold out in 36 hours, nuff said :rofl2br:

Only joking, Sky have ruined the fixture by making it a 12.15 k.o but to those who would rather watch it on Sky, why exactly?

Going to football matches doesn't just start and finish when you're in the ground. The whole day is meant to be enjoyable, singing on the way down on the train, getting plastered in the pub etc.

Fair enough if you simply can't afford it, but I'm taking a day off work (I'm temping in London) so I don't get paid and I'll fork out quite a bit overall for the 2nd leg. I also went upto Hull for our last away game where we took over 2,000 which in some respects was daft as it's a long old journey.

This is your biggest game in years, even if it means eating toast for a week and not going out drinking for a fortnight, I'd do it for a game like this.

Not sure if tomorrow's actually sold out, I can't be bothered to ring our excuse for a box office to find out as I'll only get put on hold for half an hour. If it's pay on the day as well I see no reason why it shouldn't be 25,000 or so in the ground.

I know it's difficult for the majority of your fans to go to this game, they didn't make it easy for us to get tickets either and the majority of our fans would of had no choice but to take atleast half a day off work also if they wanted to go. Friends who went to Hull and Watford away with me couldn't get tickets even though the box office said priority will go to those who have been to atleast one of those games.

Here's us moaning about the kickoff time, if either of us go up it'll be like that every other weekend! :angry:

We sold out in 36 hours, nuff said :rofl2br:

Only joking, Sky have ruined the fixture by making it a 12.15 k.o but to those who would rather watch it on Sky, why exactly?

Going to football matches doesn't just start and finish when you're in the ground. The whole day is meant to be enjoyable, singing on the way down on the train, getting plastered in the pub etc.

Fair enough if you simply can't afford it, but I'm taking a day off work (I'm temping in London) so I don't get paid and I'll fork out quite a bit overall for the 2nd leg. I also went upto Hull for our last away game where we took over 2,000 which in some respects was daft as it's a long old journey.

This is your biggest game in years, even if it means eating toast for a week and not going out drinking for a fortnight, I'd do it for a game like this.

Its our biggest game till tuesday :whistle2: and the way the Met have treated us after leaving pubs in London before games, we probably would get to watch the last 10 mins.........if were lucky. :yes:

I'm not sure why some people are moaning about the '1 ticket per AA Voucher' originally advertised? Can anyone recall a few weeks ago there was uproar when City decided to allow 4 tickets per ST holder for the Preston match. They sold out almost instantly and a number of regular, non ST holding fans were finding it hard to get a ticket.

I for one thought this away allocation was on the small side and was fully expecting it to sell out within the first couple of hours. I'm sure the club must've thought the same, hence one per voucher. If 2 people wanted seats together, only 1 had to go and queue, as you could take both your AA vouchers with you. Personally I was worried I might not get a ticket, but a mate of mine sorted out me plus a few more, by collecting all our vouchers and buying them all together. It's easy with a bit of organisation.

Anyway, I came on here to make a point about the tickets sales / lack of. I really do find it extraordinary that we haven't sold out. I have heard many people stating their reasons, and I have no problem with that. In most cases these are very valid reasons. But for the first time in a very very long long time, we are on the verge of the promised land, and that should surely be enough for us to be able to sell 2,500 tickets. We have 10,000 season ticket holders. We've averaged gates of over 16,000 this year. We would fully expect to sell out 35,000 if we got to Wembley. We're hoping to build a 30,000 seater stadium?

I have no personal gripe against any paritcular individuals, and this is by no means a 'better than you' post, far from it. But I think it shows an overall apathy towards football in Bristol. Surely there's enough of us out there who 'can afford it'. Granted, there are those that can't afford it and that's fair enough. But out of 16000 regular attendees this season, it is hard to believe that only 1800 can afford it.

In the last month I, like most, have spent £426 on a ST renewal, £20 Stoke ticket (plus travel), £22 Sheff Utd ticket (plus travel), £26 Palace home ticket, £30 Palace away ticket (plus travel), and a potential £200 plus day out a Wembley. This is going on £800-£900! I'm going to be bloody skint come the end of May, and I really do hope it'll all have been worth it. I'll suffer for a few weeks but will ultimately recover.

For those that can't afford it, fair enough. For those that can afford, I can't help but feel a little disappointed.

Anyway, those that are there will have to sing louder and longer than ever before. So come on lads and lasses, lets be in full voice tomoro morning.

C'mon City

I'm not sure why some people are moaning about the '1 ticket per AA Voucher' originally advertised? Can anyone recall a few weeks ago there was uproar when City decided to allow 4 tickets per ST holder for the Preston match. They sold out almost instantly and a number of regular, non ST holding fans were finding it hard to get a ticket.

I for one thought this away allocation was on the small side and was fully expecting it to sell out within the first couple of hours. I'm sure the club must've thought the same, hence one per voucher. If 2 people wanted seats together, only 1 had to go and queue, as you could take both your AA vouchers with you. Personally I was worried I might not get a ticket, but a mate of mine sorted out me plus a few more, by collecting all our vouchers and buying them all together. It's easy with a bit of organisation.

Anyway, I came on here to make a point about the tickets sales / lack of. I really do find it extraordinary that we haven't sold out. I have heard many people stating their reasons, and I have no problem with that. In most cases these are very valid reasons. But for the first time in a very very long long time, we are on the verge of the promised land, and that should surely be enough for us to be able to sell 2,500 tickets. We have 10,000 season ticket holders. We've averaged gates of over 16,000 this year. We would fully expect to sell out 35,000 if we got to Wembley. We're hoping to build a 30,000 seater stadium?

I have no personal gripe against any paritcular individuals, and this is by no means a 'better than you' post, far from it. But I think it shows an overall apathy towards football in Bristol. Surely there's enough of us out there who 'can afford it'. Granted, there are those that can't afford it and that's fair enough. But out of 16000 regular attendees this season, it is hard to believe that only 1800 can afford it.

In the last month I, like most, have spent £426 on a ST renewal, £20 Stoke ticket (plus travel), £22 Sheff Utd ticket (plus travel), £26 Palace home ticket, £30 Palace away ticket (plus travel), and a potential £200 plus day out a Wembley. This is going on £800-£900! I'm going to be bloody skint come the end of May, and I really do hope it'll all have been worth it. I'll suffer for a few weeks but will ultimately recover.

For those that can't afford it, fair enough. For those that can afford, I can't help but feel a little disappointed.

Anyway, those that are there will have to sing louder and longer than ever before. So come on lads and lasses, lets be in full voice tomoro morning.

C'mon City

Top post. :clap:

Living in London, when the fixtures come out at the start of the season, I write in all City's London fixtures & guard the dates in the diary jealously. Made all the London games this season. With play-offs, as the fixtures were only sorted at the last minute, like loads of others I have stuff to do on Saturday - I have to go to a wedding fixed up ages ago. Otherwise I'd be there like a shot. Will be very distracted during the wedding...

Why, as City fans, do we have to fight about trivial things such as this?

OK we've not sold out, but lets not fight between oursevles. For whatever reason we haven't sold out, big deal.. lets just support the lads from wherever we are tomorrow be it at Sellhurst or at the pub watching on TV.

Correct ; and they aint listening :disapointed2se: get the red lock out.

think i got the last ticket -twice! as i had to go at 4.45 to pay n collect then return at 4.55 for a ditherer (finally got 6 going up after much deliberation..."we are watching in the pub".."wrong time of the month"...(!)...."too 'kin early for i").

anyway most came round at last minute and i asked at 4.45 how many sold....200 left.

draw your own conclusions, mine is disappointed that no sell out but then again the 400 non 'prawns' will probably make the day worthwhile. Heres praying for a bit of old school passion.

Been to 90% of games this season both home and away. Reasons for people not wanting to make this trip (including myself) are simple. For me, they go in this order though.

1. 12:15 KO - that would mean a 06:00 time to leave home - I live in cardiff.

2. Could only buy 1 ticket per person - been to plenty of games by myself but would have had to inconvenience my gf to ring up and get one because she would want to go also.

3. Horrible horrible ground to get to if your driving and would involve parking then getting on train.

4. Been there once already and that was a pretty dire occasion.

5. Its on SKY.

6. Ticket prices and associated costs involved.

7. Now don't slate me...but i think we'll lose quite heavily....only a feeling i have.

Apart from that, and in all seriousness, if anyone has a spare ticket and can meet me at the ground, I'll gladly take it off there hands. PM me.

The tie could be done and dusted by the time comes to the Gate on Tuesday. We could be 3-0 down already in which case the Gate will be flat or we could be 3-0 up in which case I'd put money on people who were in a position to go tomorrow wishing they'd gone to Selhurst. Let's just hope there's something to play for on Tuesday, for everyone's sake.

to be honest thought it would sell out within 5 mins flat so didnt even bother to try, sods law that!! Know a lot of season ticket holders who thought the same, that it would be another preston fiasco.

So watchin in norwich if any city fans around, castlegates.

1.1 i think tin trunds to score first. Come on the boys so so proud of you.

C'mon City

At this point Watford have not sold out their 2000 + allocation at Hull even with FREE coach travel they also have an average gate higher than Citys. Apathy or simply symptoms of fans being pushed beyond their means?

Archived