IGNORED

Gary Johnson

Riaz

What do you think?  

247 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Sorry Mr. Moody, its just a topic of discussion and a matter of opinion, could turn around and say who cares that you say who cares :innocent06:

And that was my opinion...I added to the discussion by saying 'Who cares'...just my opinion. And talking of Mr Moody...GJ was one of the moodiest blokes you could ever meet. Great infront of the camera and infront of the fans though.In the same way John Ward was. There you go, that's my opinion...I think GJ was a Leg end. ;):D

Johnson? good manager Yes - Legend No

We got promotion from L1 but the club wasn't on it's knees like it was in 1982/3. We had lost to Swansea in that massive defeat but the club was solvent and SL

provided the funds for GJ to improve the team, we also still had some good players. All Gary needed to do was steady the ship, get the players behaving more profesionally and

bring a few players in - which he did. I'm not saying it was easy, planty of managers had failed before him - but the crucial point is that he did have the cash backing of SL and was able to sign pretty much whoever he wanted within the ample budget given to him by SL.

Some would say he wasted a lot of money on questionable buys and loans and his reliance on family members - when not always in the best interests of BCFC (IMO) - has been well documented.

Terry Cooper - Legend undoubtedly

For those not around in 82-3 it is difficult to understand how low things had sunk. The club had gone broke, the majority of the Ist team had either torn up the contracts or been sold, Roy Hodgson had been sacked (wonder what he's doing now!) and we were in the 4th div. no money and basically a squad of 17-18 year old reserves.

Terry Cooper dragged the club back through sheer force of his personality with a team cobbled up at times with 16 year old work experience kids (remember the Kelly brothers?) and local players from the Downs of similar leagues (Grimshaw, Richard Thomson, John "Donkey" Palmer anyone ??). Plus free transfer like Riley and Crawford

What Terry did was to put the pride back into City, He developed a fantastic relationship with the fans and drove the tiny squad to promotion often coming on for the last 15-20 minutes and changing the game by "winning" a free kick.

Most City fans who were around then will tell you that despite being in the 4th and 3rd divisions it was the most enjoyable time to be a City fan.

Alan Dicks - Legend

Did what no other manager has done in BS3 in the modern era, he did it without a benevolent chairman like SL - in fact the directors then were pretty hopeless,

in it for what they could get, - he had little money and relied on youth winning promotion and keeping us there in spite of the inept directors.

To say he took us down is unfair. Key players left under the new freedom of contract, others were injured and the directors wouldn't spend to keep us up.

They were too quick to fire AD and the replacements- Bob Houghton/Roy Hodgson - have subsequently in interviews stated the the board hid the truth about the financial situation when interviewing them for the job.

CR

When TC took over we were at our lowest point,we couldn't even get companys to supply us with tea,coffee,crisps,pies and the like,but we had a seize mentality,a togetherness,which we breifly had under GJ.Even under AD we struggled for many years,things started to turn around 73-74,when a group of young players came through the youth ranks.Pretty good were'nt they,happy days.

And that was my opinion...I added to the discussion by saying 'Who cares'...just my opinion. And talking of Mr Moody...GJ was one of the moodiest blokes you could ever meet. Great infront of the camera and infront of the fans though.In the same way John Ward was. There you go, that's my opinion...I think GJ was a Leg end. ;):D

Caught me in a trap there Spudski!

You fell for that? Those tears were tears of self awareness. He knew he'd blown the best managerial job he's ever likely to have and that it was his own fault.

Mate. GJ was genuinely upset. I'll say it again, "genuine".

Not at all the sort of person who gets off an a thinly veiled cloak of anonimity.

Get a life.

Indeed, a very substancial pay off. I'm surprised he took the Posh job so quickly. He certainly didn't need to.

So now he's upset he's lost the best job he'll ever have, but getting off on the size of his payoff.

You're unreal.

how would you recognise self awareness?

I spent 27 years of my working life as a trained NHS counsellor, all of it working with client group that are notorious for having issues with self-awareness. I saw the same symptoms in Gary Johnsons departure interview as I saw in many hundreds of clients that I saw over the years.

Thats how I know.

I spent 27 years of my working life as a trained NHS counsellor, all of it working with client group that are notorious for having issues with self-awareness. I saw the same symptoms in Gary Johnsons departure interview as I saw in many hundreds of clients that I saw over the years.

Thats how I know.

yet you have none yourself. remarkable.

I guess its like doctors that smoke

In the last 50+ years I think only Cooper and Johnson have contributed to CIty moving up the divisions without also playing a part in us going down.

I think you forgot to mention Joe Jordan?

The football under Joe Jordan was outstanding first time around.

Play off finalists in his role as caretaker/manager, then the Semi Finals of The Littlewoods Cup the season after, culminating in promotion the season after that.

Unfortunately, he wasn't able to sort out Osmans mess during his second tenure.

As for Johnson being a legend?

Does he compare to the Ashton Gate Eight and their monumental sacrifice?

John Atyeo and Fatty Wedlock, both represented England whilst playing for City,

Whilst I will always appreciate Gary Johnsons efforts in gaining promotion to the Championship and in getting us to within 90 minutes of the premier league, I wouldn't see him as a legend.

Legend is a word too easily used in these modern times.

I may be old fashioned, but please don't tar me with the same brush as the irrational robbored!

Had he got us to the Prem then i would of classed him as a legend. A very good manager for us, achieved what many others had failed to do and for a time we had a fantastic vibe around the club that he helped build. Always be grateful for what he has done but the way the last months if not year of his reign went, it left a bitter taste.

You fell for that? Those tears were tears of self awareness. He knew he'd blown the best managerial job he's ever likely to have and that it was his own fault.

Thats how I know.

Absolute bollocks. If anything I'd say from my (basic) Psychology knowledge that it's genuinely him upset. The way he keeps looking around the ground as if he won't see it again as City manager. Choked me up watching it to be honest.

Absolute legend that man. He may not have treated some players as he treated others, but nor does Sir Alex. I wonder if you'd feel the same way if you hadn't been made to look like a **** in that Conference manager topic.

I think you forgot to mention Joe Jordan?

The football under Joe Jordan was outstanding first time around.

Play off finalists in his role as caretaker/manager, then the Semi Finals of The Littlewoods Cup the season after, culminating in promotion the season after that.

Unfortunately, he wasn't able to sort out Osmans mess during his second tenure.

I didn't forget him. He was involved in a promotion season first time around and a relegation season second time around. So he is not a manager with a net positive contiribution in terms of climbing the leagues. First time was good fun. Second time less so!

Personally I don't see Johnson as a legend at all, nothing to do with Hatred, just don't think he did enough to rank up amongst the Bristol City greats, he's rightly alongside the likes of Ward and Joe Jordan, but I wouldn't rank him as a legend and too even attempt to rank him alongside Cooper and Dicks is almost belittling their achivements.

Johnson took over a team, got us promoted and got us to the play-off final, but was also given more money to spend than any manager in our history and wasted a large proportion of it on rubbish and left the club in a poor position on and off the field when he did leave which has resulted in massive losses after the play-off final, he MASSIVELY underachived given his backing, which for me rules out classing him as a legend.

This just isn't true is it? When City were promoted to the Championship under Ward in 98, we went out that summer and paid £1m for Tony Thorpe, £1.2m for Ade Akinbye and £600,000 for that Scandinanvian striker (Soren Anderson?). In today's money, that would be like spending £1.97m on Thorpe, £2.1m on Akinbye and around £1.1m on Anderson, allowing for inflation. So that would be a total spend of around £5m in today's money - and with that outlay, Ward/Benny got us relegated in their first season at Championship level.

By comparison, GJ spent virtually nothing in his first season after we got back in the Championship - and got us to the play-off final. Even if you add all of the signings he made over three seasons at this level, I would doubt they would amount in real terms to the £5m of Scott Davidson's money Wardy spent in a single summer.

Don't let the facts get in the way of your agenda, though....

the way the last months if not year of his reign went, it left a bitter taste.

I think this is key. We're only a year on from when he left and the end of his reign still feels current. In time this will fade and the magnitude of what he achieved in promotion and establishing us half way up the Championship will be what is remembered.

Thats how I know.

Did you diagnose your clients through BCFC Player too?

Thats how I know.

Were you picked on at school by a little cockney kid for being fat and ginger?

Give yourself some counseling.

GJ legend? Yes worship2.gif

Did you diagnose your clients through BCFC Player to?

Its not always necessary to be face to face with someone to know what they're feeling. That said I always saw clients face to face.

Have you never had a phone call with someone and you can just tell what they're feeling if when they say everythings fine?

Thats how I know.

Robbo, as someone who knows a little on this subject too can you clarify what you mean by 'issues with self awareness'? because I've never really heard that used to describe somones behaviour before.

For someone who has worked as a counsellor in the NHS and know Johnson intermatly I would have expected a more clinical diagnosis! :whistle:

Its not always necessary to be face to face with someone to know what they're feeling. That said I always saw clients face to face.

Have you never had a phone call with someone and you can just tell what they're feeling if when they say everythings fine?

Over-analysis imo.

GJ's demeanour on the day in question is easily explained.

It doesn't need a shrink or 3 months off with a stress-related illness to get to the bottom of it.

BTW, are you able to diagnose the sort of person who wishes to stay anonymous at all costs on a club forum? Strange character trait, though I respect your decision.

yeah Gary Johnson was good at recognising a liar when he saw one too apparantly

BTW, are you able to diagnose the sort of person who wishes to stay anonymous at all costs on a club forum? Strange character trait, though I respect your decision.

'Stay anonymous' Who?

Not me. Theres nothing witheld on my profile. You must mean someone else.

I suspect younger fans will think he is, whereas older fans who have seen the likes of Dicks and Cooper may have a more tempered view.

He certainly turned the fortunes of the club around reasonably quickly, and nearly made it two on the bounce, but things were not quite right even during the final run in of the play off season.

Form had dipped and we lost out on the auto spot we had occupied for quite a while.

He had a certain style, some liked it others didn't.

But it was clear he had lost direction and was pretty devoid of new ideas in the season following the play offs and IMO he should have gone much sooner than he did.

More along the lines of how Forest moved Calderwood on as part of the process of seeking to get to next level.

Legend is these days a cheapened and overused term.

Popular? Without a doubt. A media and fans' character? Of course. Successful? For a short and enjoyable while, yes.

Legend? No I can't quite think him in such terms. I'd be looking for just a bit more than what he did achieve while he was here.

In fact I think the team under Jordan was more exciting and entertaining. So I would put GJ behind AD, TC and JJ during my time following City.

Archived