IGNORED

Next Seasons Home Kit...

Spike

I like it a lot but the general opinion is that it's "not us" which in a sense is a fair point, it stands out from our tradition.

In all honesty I think the robin looks unprofessional and I'd actually debate that the Robin is more like a badge used by any team. If you look at how many clubs have the nickname the Robins, Charlton, Cheltenham and Swindon as well as ourselves, you could argue that it would actually give us a more shared identity.

With the name Bristol City it does make sense to have the Bristol coat of arms as:

1) We're Bristol City, the city's coat of arms suits our name perfectly and is our original badge.

2) Rovers do not use the coat of arms meaning we're not sharing our badge or identity with anyone else.

3) The Robin looks good due to nostalgia but ask someone from outside the club and the Robin comes across as very amatuer. If someone was told "we're called the Robins and we play in Bristol" then you could imagine they'd be able to mock up a badge pretty quickly similar or the same as the old Robin badge. Making a coat of arms however has a lot more skill and professional edge to it.

Either way I guess I'd be happy but it depends on how you see the club really, if you want the Robin then you probably care more about the club being community based and close nit but if you want the coat of arms you most likely prefer the idea of the modern football club who're a bit more cut throat.

Rovers have used the crest in their past.

I like the new design but colud we have a red stripe in the white v neck like the 75,76. Promotion winning shirt. Why not have the crest and the robin.

Yeah a few people have said this and there is a version that has the Crest, Robin, England flag, and Club/est on it...... which you would think everyone could get behind

NB11copy.jpg

the coat of arms is boring, it could be any team !! forza robin

The crest could possibly be mistaken for one other team - Bristol Rovers.

The robin could possibly be mistaken for five - Swindon, Cheltenham, Charlton, Altrincham and Wrexham.

The Robin isn't just OUR identity. It's a lot more generic than people think.

Ok so it isn't BUT how would these forums feel about this design?

I tried to create a modern take of our "traditional kit" with the old school robin badge :)

NUvPx.png

Thoughts?

Very good, i like it, Gets my vote ;)

Bring back the robin

http://www.change.org/en-GB/petitions/bristol-city-we-want-our-robin-back

http://www.otib.co.uk/index.php?/topic/150780-christmas-poll-bring-back-the-robin/?hl=%2Brobin+%2Bbadge#entry1679761

http://www.otib.co.uk/index.php?/topic/90205-city-badge/page-2?hl=%2Brobin+%2Bbadge#entry1569670

Love the look of that kit! With regards to the badge, just a few points to add to thers above; Chalrton's nickname is the Addicks not the Robins We don't represent the whole of Bristol, tradtionally we are a South Bristol / Somerset club The Robin design could easily be updated to be more modern / menacing. The badge wechad with the Robin, a football and the Suspension Bridge was iconic, unique and instantly recognisable as being Bristol City. Crests look like the badges of a million clubs they are boring, stuffy and unimaginative

Yeah a few people have said this and there is a version that has the Crest, Robin, England flag, and Club/est on it...... which you would think everyone could get behind

NB11copy.jpg

not sure if its physically possible to produce something with that much detail in such a small size

I like it a lot but the general opinion is that it's "not us" which in a sense is a fair point, it stands out from our tradition.

In all honesty I think the robin looks unprofessional and I'd actually debate that the Robin is more like a badge used by any team. If you look at how many clubs have the nickname the Robins, Charlton, Cheltenham and Swindon as well as ourselves, you could argue that it would actually give us a more shared identity.

With the name Bristol City it does make sense to have the Bristol coat of arms as:

1) We're Bristol City, the city's coat of arms suits our name perfectly and is our original badge.

2) Rovers do not use the coat of arms meaning we're not sharing our badge or identity with anyone else.

3) The Robin looks good due to nostalgia but ask someone from outside the club and the Robin comes across as very amatuer. If someone was told "we're called the Robins and we play in Bristol" then you could imagine they'd be able to mock up a badge pretty quickly similar or the same as the old Robin badge. Making a coat of arms however has a lot more skill and professional edge to it.

Either way I guess I'd be happy but it depends on how you see the club really, if you want the Robin then you probably care more about the club being community based and close nit but if you want the coat of arms you most likely prefer the idea of the modern football club who're a bit more cut throat.

1/ Bristol city is west country club that once called itself thepride of the west? 2/ they did. 3/ asked anybody who knows anything about football and they know city are the robins. the robin is community based fans have painted it and kids draw it.

Kit is big improvemnt on this seasons mess.

I say go with addidas logo right chest coat of arms crest left and ernie entre but lower and st george cross on ghe back. Exactly the same as the image but with red stripe in the white v neck. Gert mint.

Love the look of that kit! With regards to the badge, just a few points to add to thers above; Chalrton's nickname is the Addicks not the Robins We don't represent the whole of Bristol, tradtionally we are a South Bristol / Somerset club The Robin design could easily be updated to be more modern / menacing. The badge wechad with the Robin, a football and the Suspension Bridge was iconic, unique and instantly recognisable as being Bristol City. Crests look like the badges of a million clubs they are boring, stuffy and unimaginative

Nice kit. I like the idea of bringing back the Robin but can't think of anything sillier than making it look "menacing". Bring it back but don't go changing it

Not sure what point you are trying to make with that, It's pretty much obvious they were called the robins, but like Charlton, they are no longer.

You mean like how we used to have a Robin on the shirt, but now we have the crest?

Define professional?

My Mrs works in commercials & marketing. She and her team create advertising campaigns - brands. She also supports City. Her view is that the crest is unnecesary, and does not feel strategic.

Bristol City is a west country club.

People travel the four corners of the west country (and some beyond) to the South Bristol church which is Ashton gate

and not connecting with Bristol of eastville, horefield (pirate territory) where the Bristol badge is connected as much as the whole of Bristol? We need our own ID and emblem, BRISTOL CITY PRIDE OFTHE WEST

The robin would best represent this than a crest that has and is used by most organisations in Bristol, we are not Bristol rovers and don't represent that part of the city where they play like our current crest represents there, we need our own logo, the robin on a ball with the bridge in the back ground

Football = what we do
Robin = westcountry & cider (involving wassail and we sing enough cider songs along with a cider sponsor)
Clifton bridge = south Bristol
Together = the perfect badge

Robin = westcountry & cider connection, wassail

It was also believed, especially in the West Country, that the spirits of the trees were incarnated in robins and other small birds.

Young lads representing these birds climbed the apple trees and cried 'Tit-tit, I want more to eat.' A piece of cake,
cheese or bread was either handed up to him or dipped in cider and placed in the forks of the tree branches 'for the robins'.

There are three forms of Christmas/New Year celebration involving wassail, a beverage originally made of mulled ale, curdled cream, roasted apples, nuts, eggs and spices.

The blowing of horns heralds the Wassailing of the Apple Trees celebration, as a beverage, usually cider,
is poured on the roots of the finest tree and a wassail cake placed in the branches as an offering to the tree spirits and elementals who ensure fruitful harvest. Then the beating of kettles and firing of guns loaded with powder are used to drive away the witches and ghosts believed to reside in the crown of the apple tree. This is followed by a wassailing song sung to the tree (or the hive in the tree, in the case of bees!) as in --

Wassail, wassail all round the town;
The zider-cup's white and the zider's brown;
Our zider is made vrom good apple trees,
And now my vine vellows we'll drink if you please.

http://www.timetravel-britain.com/articles/christmas/wassail.shtml

You mean like how we used to have a Robin on the shirt, but now we have the crest?

Funny that, we're still called the robins and not the crests.

The crest is the Bristol City coat of arms - and it may come as a shock to you, but we are still known as Bristol City.

Define professional?

My Mrs works in commercials & marketing. She and her team create advertising campaigns - brands. She also supports City. Her view is that the crest is unnecessary, and does not feel strategic.

Sorry but the Mrs and marketing point just feels like that kid in the school playground who says he knows best about football because his dad works for a professional football club. I'm not looking for an argument but the Robin is a part of the past, as is the purple and lime, built on Nostalgia and whilst we could go back to the Robin and put on the purple and lime it'll be a nice little boost but it'll fade fast.

Take your favourite childhood toy, video game, clothes, whatever you like and then go buy it off ebay and see if any of your love for it surpasses nostalgia... it won't. I recently bought some old retro video games and whilst I love owning them again and I have played on them a few times I would never say they're better than a modern version of the same game and that's because I've moved on.

The Robin is more strategic because it can be used in more ways, much like the American hockey teams use names like The Pittsburgh Penguins because a Penguin can be used in so many ways, whereas a crest cannot. The marketing value of the Robin may be a lot higher but it's not true to the clubs roots as the crest is and the argument about Rovers using it is so silly and childish when you consider it. We're both Bristol based clubs, so yes they've used it but that's no different to any of the teams mentioned who have used the Robin of which there are far more. Bristol Rovers use the Pirate now and in all honesty I cringe when I see it because it doesn't look like a football badge. I suppose I'm quite traditional in our badge and whilst I wouldn't kick up a fuss if we went back to the Robin I would look at it and feel a little bit like it looks cheap.

If people want to embrace the Robins nickname then do it, you don't need the badge on the kit really do you? Sing when the red red robin comes bob bob bobbing along, wear t-shirts with the robin on it, make new chants on how we're the Robins, what's stopping you?

I put the Robin on the kit to see how people would react and mainly to see what I think of it myself and in all honesty I think the kit looks better with the coat of arms on it. I think if people want the Robin so much the club should release a retro style shirt, plain red, with "nibor", the Robin crest and see how it sells. If it sells well then maybe the Robin could be re-introduced, surely that would be a much better marketing scheme than just forcing it on people who don't necessarily want it. I'd much rather see the club test the waters first before re-branding, which is essentially what many of our fans give Cardiff crap for doing.

Funny that, we're still called the robins and not the crests.

Sorry but are you serious?

The coat of arms represents the City of Bristol... see where I am going with this?

Since when has a nickname for something been the same as the actual name ? You need a dozen more pairs of hands the way your clutching at straws.

Shouldn't our badge relate to our football team and our nickname rather than borrow the council's/rugby club's crest?

That is my point, it's quite simple. We are "The Robins" whether you like it or not.

Archived