IGNORED

Bcsc&t Urges Club To Listen To Fans

thatcham red

If you read this thread from the boards perspectivetive they will say that they do 'listen to the fans' and in some cases that's true. However when it comes to sacking and then appointing a new head coach I doubt that there would be a general consensus amongst the fans as the dismissal of ODriscoll shows.

RZ is right IMO.

Agreed, that complete consensus is unrealistic. The point being made is that this football club is at the lowest ebb it has been for a long time in the eyes of many supporters. It would be good to appoint a new head coach that not only fits with the strategy laid out by the club, but also does not leave a potential majority feeling further alienated by a rash decision.

Is this a thinly-veiled request to not appoint Ian Holloway?

No. It's saying that there are some leading candidates for the job who would split the fan base if they are appointed and we're encouraging the Club to consult supporters before making a decision to appoint a contentious character. If they ultimately appoint such a figure they can then do so from a fully informed position about how that appointment is likely to be received.

Since when has the supporters club and trust represented the popular views of the average supporter? How can they possibly know what the popular choice is unless they carry out an extensive survey. They are,and have always been a self serving click, that pretends to speak for the common man. In reality they meet behind closed doors, and make no better judgments than you get from the straw polls and hanging jury's conducted on this incestuous forum of self righteous misfits!

We are average supporters fella and it is open to all.

Happy to run a survey ;)

A potentially damning letter I think written with best intentions but extremely ill advised.

If the deal has been done this letter to me reads a thinly veiled 'do not appoint'. If it is SC what he was up against was a poor backing from a small and unrepresentative sample. Now it seems he has the Trust against him making the start of an extremely tough job tougher.

This letter already puts a manager on the back foot, if indeed the deal is done or almost done. It actually destabilizes their position.

If this letter needed drafting, it needed to be done at the start of the process - the day of SODs dismissal. Certainly not so long since when it seems the process is coming to an end.

Thatcham, I believe that generally the Fan's Parliament is a vehicle for the club to communicate more regularly and consistently with its fan base but there is no real structure in place for its fans representatives to canvass opinion on issues such as, whom the next head coach should be. They can really only express their own opinion which may or may not correlate with my own.

Neither do I think that there should be referenda held on such topics. It's the board's responsibility to select the next appointment and whilst they should most certainly pay heed to the depth of feeling regarding the adverse impact amongst a number of fans of an appointment such as Holloway (by which, I mean they need to understand and plan for the fallout if they do make that appointment), they should certainly NOT be asking whom they DO want to be the next head coach. You only have to look on here to see the breadth of suggestions and some of them are frankly incredible (not in a good way). There is no one person out there who will be unanimously supported.

The selection of our next head coach requires objectivity which is why it must remain a board decision only; us fans, by nature are too swayed by subjectivity which won't result in the right choice being made. Besides which, we need to have someone to blame when it eventually goes tits up!

"appoint an individual that the vast majority of supporters immediately feel able to get behind."

I think that is a virtually impossible task. Better a sensational appointment that may divide opinion than one that utterly uninspires;-

What is not in question is that appointing Cotterill will more than disappoint the majority and that, imo, is probably the understatement of the year.

A potentially damning letter I think written with best intentions but extremely ill advised.

If the deal has been done this letter to me reads a thinly veiled 'do not appoint'. If it is SC what he was up against was a poor backing from a small and unrepresentative sample. Now it seems he has the Trust against him making the start of an extremely tough job tougher.

This letter already puts a manager on the back foot, if indeed the deal is done or almost done. It actually destabilizes their position.

If this letter needed drafting, it needed to be done at the start of the process - the day of SODs dismissal. Certainly not so long since when it seems the process is coming to an end.

A small and representative sample?!? What??

I'm glad the supporters trust feel the need to speak on everyone's behalf. I disagree completely however... This is an anti Holloway and Warnock letter. If this steers the board to Cotterill, I will be pissed.

Funny; I've read it twice and I missed Holloway and Warnock's names both times I read it. I also missed the bot that encouraged the appointment of Cotterill. I shall be down the opticians at lunchtime to get this checked out

I would argue that the appointment of an unpopular manager is an inevitability; every thread on here suggesting a manager has a split of angry rejection and enthusiastic support, so some fans are gonna be pissed off whatever happens.

Agreed, that complete consensus is unrealistic. The point being made is that this football club is at the lowest ebb it has been for a long time in the eyes of many supporters. It would be good to appoint a new head coach that not only fits with the strategy laid out by the club, but also does not leave a potential majority feeling further alienated by a rash decision.

Fair comment thatcham.

I don't know how anyone is reading this as being against any particular candidate. Read the bits in bold everyone - it's simply urging the board to take their time and as far possible make the right choice, one which will not start by further alienating large numbers of fans who are already reeling from a number of rushed, ill advised, and ultimately poor, decisions..

Anyone who assumes it is anti Holloway/Warnock should remember that Cotterill is seen as the favourite at this moment so it could just as easily be seen as a plea to stop and reconsider his suitability.

Basically it's no more than a plea on behalf of us fans to please get this appointment right, something we would surely all agree with.

Funny; I've read it twice and I missed Holloway and Warnock's names both times I read it. I also missed the bot that encouraged the appointment of Cotterill. I shall be down the opticians at lunchtime to get this checked out

I would argue that the appointment of an unpopular manager is an inevitability; every thread on here suggesting a manager has a split of angry rejection and enthusiastic support, so some fans are gonna be pissed off whatever happens.

Sometimes things don't need to be spelt out exactly.  Try reading between the lines. 

The plan is, go with Dawsey's mat, er, choice and get Jon to front up and explain. No, sorry, go with Jon boy's favewut and ask Dawsey to do the talky bit this time. Or is it, appoint Holloway and everyone leg it to Guernsey quicksmart, for Christmas. Or until he wins two in a row. Yes, think that's it

Sometimes things don't need to be spelt out exactly. Try reading between the lines.

Which lines though? If we appoint Cotterill you'll see this letter as contributing to our dismissal of Holloway and Warnock's applications. If Holloway is appointed others will see this letter as not defending the traditions of our club strongly enough

Personally I see it as a begging letter, asking the board to not do anything stupid this time. What 'stupid' is will depend on your view point. I doubt it'll be listened to anyway, unfortunately

Which lines though? If we appoint Cotterill you'll see this letter as contributing to our dismissal of Holloway and Warnock's applications. If Holloway is appointed others will see this letter as not defending the traditions of our club strongly enough

Personally I see it as a begging letter, asking the board to not do anything stupid this time. What 'stupid' is will depend on your view point. I doubt it'll be listened to anyway, unfortunately

Stupid is as stupid does

I'd appoint Hollowhead like a shot, if it were my choice, and if he'd come.

But I don't speak for the majority of fans, only for me.

One thing that does occur to me is that Pardew was not a popular choice amongst the neanderthals in the North East, but he's done a truly awesome job.  So if it is SC, then I for one will greet him with an open mind.

No. It's saying that there are some leading candidates for the job who would split the fan base if they are appointed and we're encouraging the Club to consult supporters before making a decision to appoint a contentious character. If they ultimately appoint such a figure they can then do so from a fully informed position about how that appointment is likely to be received.

Fair enough. However, I doubt whether someone like Ian Holloway fits the description of "an individual that the vast majority of supporters immediately feel able to get behind". As others have said on this thread (I paraphrase), you'd be lucky to choose a candidate that even a simple majority of supporters would immediately back. IH doesn't seem to be in the frame anyway. So, personally (not that my opinion matters much), I would go for the man who they feel is most likely to prevent relegation this season. And to hell with culture, heritage and ethos. Particularly considering that our culture is one of under-achievement.

I'm glad the supporters trust feel the need to speak on everyone's behalf. I disagree completely however... This is an anti Holloway and Warnock letter. If this steers the board to Cotterill, I will be pissed.

When did you become H*lloway's agent? With you on Cotterill though

Archived