IGNORED

The Depressing Dominance Of The Premier League.

ChippenhamRed

Took my 3 year old to football training today for the very first time. There were about 25 kids there and he was the only one wearing a local team's kit; every other child was wearing Chelsea, Man Utd, Man City or Liverpool. Admittedly we live in Chippenham so I didn't expect many City shirts, but I at least thought there might be a few Swindon tops. Not one.

It really depressed me! It worries me that he'll inevitably be asking for a premier league kit when he's old enough to care.

Really hope when the stadium redevelopment is complete there is a big push by the club to promote itself to the younger generations.

Even more depressing I find huge numbers of kids, and men and women, wearing Bath Rugby shirts round here (West Wiltshire). When on match days I get the train to Temple Meads from Bradford on Avon, it's packed out with them rugger buggers, with hardly a City shirt to be seen. Then there's "fans" at TM boarding trains to watch the London teams.

Agree, the club should step up its marketing when the new stadium is complete - and we're back in the Championship!

We support our team because they are our team. As do Fleetwood fans, Gillingham, Dundee, even the Sags.  Being there is the connection.

Your average kid or adult who states their support for Manure, Arse etc don't actually support them.  They are consumers.  The ones who go to the games are supporters. They just buy the shirt, download the crest to their phones and subscribe to Sky Sports.  It suits the media to try and lump these consumers in with supporters under one umbrella but we are completely different. 

I've drilled it into my kids that we support City through good or bad. They can like Man City or Barcelona or whoever but you don't support them.  It's not the same.

As a football consumer, I've enjoyed watching Southampton, Dortmund, Swansea, Athletic Bilbao and Atletico Madrid over the last few seasons.  However, if they play poorly I'll be ditching them and finding someone better.

I wouldn't buy another teams shirt/kit from a team in this country. But i will buy foreign shirts (or shorts) to play sports in and now got some random  European teams. I couldn't bring myself to wear another teams kit from England.

I'll still wear my city shirts round Huntingdon high street, where you would see the top 6 prem clubs or the occasional Peterborough shirt.

The thing is, those 'top 6 clubs', along with the likes of Barcelona and Real Madrid, stopped representing their cities years ago. They're more like super-clubs now, massive corporations. Not that that makes wearing their shirts any more palatable, but I think it's misleading to somehow treat clubs like that as rivals to City.

I think there are many variations of support.

We as fans all 'support' teams in the Premier League by subscribing to the like of Sky....that's where your money goes.

I support Bristol City...as it's the only team I pay regular money to watch. I always think 'Fan' is a funny word...as who is a Fanatic?

I like to 'follow' certain teams and the way they play...certain managers...and even have fond feelings towards teams, for no other reason than I liked what I experienced whilst watching them.

You know when you have a Team in your soul and heart...because it hurts and affects how you feel after a result.

I doubt whether the 'shirts' that follow teams on the tv have that feeling.

We don't all have Sky you know, Spud.

When Murdoch dies I might reconsider my feelings about the network.

At one company I worked for, the Sales Manager announced "I need to buy a Manchester United shirt".

"I didn't know you're from Manchester" was my reply, to which she stated.........."I'm not; I'm not even interested in football, but I am involved in Corporate Sales. Therefore it's essential I am seen to associate with winners".

Anyone ever heard/ seen the late great comedian Bill Hicks talk about marketing?

BH: anybody here work in marketing? Seriously, kill yourselves......(audience waits for punch line, there isn't one)

We support our team because they are our team. As do Fleetwood fans, Gillingham, Dundee, even the Sags.  Being there is the connection.

Your average kid or adult who states their support for Manure, Arse etc don't actually support them.  They are consumers.  The ones who go to the games are supporters. They just buy the shirt, download the crest to their phones and subscribe to Sky Sports.  It suits the media to try and lump these consumers in with supporters under one umbrella but we are completely different. 

I've drilled it into my kids that we support City through good or bad. They can like Man City or Barcelona or whoever but you don't support them.  It's not the same.

As a football consumer, I've enjoyed watching Southampton, Dortmund, Swansea, Athletic Bilbao and Atletico Madrid over the last few seasons.  However, if they play poorly I'll be ditching them and finding someone better.

Agree 100%, and I posted something very like this a couple of weeks ago. Over the last 20 years my work travels have taken me all over the globe and I've found myself as a customer or follower of any number of teams ( Real Madrid, Athletic, Getafe, Servette, Basel, Hamburg, St Pauli, Celtic, Slovan Bratislava, Grampus, Brondby, PSG.....) which makes me a football tart who will go anywhere for a game, but THERE IS ONLY ONE CITY and no English league team can ever come close.

I must admit that Salisbury's promotion season from Conference South was fantastic and almost turned my head but THERE IS ONLY ONE CITY.

As a Gloucester boy and GRFC fan i dispute well supported!

I was at the Glos v Sale game recently...first time ever at Glos.

Impressed with the 12 500 in attendance and noise from the Shed.

A good day out...

I was lucky to be given hospitality tickets, but when looking at their website and Baths recently I was shocked at the prices these days...

A good day out...

I was lucky to be given hospitality tickets, but when looking at their website and Baths recently I was shocked at the prices these days...

Absolutely. V pricey, esp at Kingsholm where every stand bar 1 has posts in the way. City v good value in comparison.

The truth is Liverpool, Manchester City and Manchester United have been on TV more times this week than City have in the last year. It's easier for kids to follow those teams than the team on their doorstep. Add to that the fact that many national newspapers don't even bother reporting on divisions any lower than the championship at best and it's no surprise.

Bizarrely enough in my office in Manchester there is quite a mix of teams- Oldham, FC United, Wigan, Everton, Grimsby, Bolton, Burnley, Radcliffe, Bury, Forrest and (of course) Bristol City in among all the Man United and Man City fans.

Took my 3 year old to football training today for the very first time. There were about 25 kids there and he was the only one wearing a local team's kit; every other child was wearing Chelsea, Man Utd, Man City or Liverpool. Admittedly we live in Chippenham so I didn't expect many City shirts, but I at least thought there might be a few Swindon tops. Not one.

It really depressed me! It worries me that he'll inevitably be asking for a premier league kit when he's old enough to care.

Really hope when the stadium redevelopment is complete there is a big push by the club to promote itself to the younger generations.

This is normal behaviour. Up to the age of 8 I thought Leeds were the bees knees then I realised I should be supporting my local team. Never looked back since.

Today I watched my son play for a football development centre v another development centre at a North Bristol school. Outside the changing rooms were displayed the names of the school "house" sports teams. Every year had four house teams - Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool and Manchester Utd.

This week I have also taken training sessions for years two's and three's. There were City shirts in evidence, but there are far more "big" EPL teams.

I attend numerous kids tournaments with kids teams I coach, the same theme is observed.

How can this be countered in Bristol at least? It will not be by waiting endlessly for City to become "big!" BCFC - BS should have a obvious strategy to counter act the influence of the EPL. My experience of kids football is telling me that being almost invisible everywhere kids in Bristol go from where they play football, to where they buy their trainers is no strategy.

I think most kids follow a top footballing side, you just have to hope the religious brainwashing technique turns your kid into a City supporter eventually.

My son has a Barcelona kit and says he supports Man U as well, he knows I support Bristol City and I have got him a season ticket. One day the brainwashing will work and he will be converted fully, a lifetime of misery awaits him.

Does this make me Dad of the year?

Religious brainwashing techniques are not required in the near environ to BCFC.

WTMS has turned the heads of the odd young kid by simply putting bags of stickers in their hands, badges, t shirts, art, street parties etc. Get in early and get seen, the local club kids should be able to see in their streets can can beat the blanket coverage of the EPL.

Unfortunately the apathy of those within BCFC sees City being anonymous on the streets of their "own" City.

Had a roast in a pub yesterday.  Got there after the game man u v Leic.  Some guy came out after the game with his new Man u shirt to boot.  My friend started to talk to him about the game.  He is into the prem due to being a west ham fan.  I had to look away as they had just been beat 5 v 3 due to laughing.  Once i had stopped, i was able to ask him which part of Manchester he was from?  He was from Bristol.  Que the Bs about always having supported them, his dad supported them etc etc.  At that point i alway ask why Man utd and not a team like Bury or Rochdale!  They tend to walk off at that point.

Today I watched my son play for a football development centre v another development centre at a North Bristol school. Outside the changing rooms were displayed the names of the school "house" sports teams. Every year had four house teams - Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool and Manchester Utd.

This week I have also taken training sessions for years two's and three's. There were City shirts in evidence, but there are far more "big" EPL teams.

I attend numerous kids tournaments with kids teams I coach, the same theme is observed.

How can this be countered in Bristol at least? It will not be by waiting endlessly for City to become "big!" BCFC - BS should have a obvious strategy to counter act the influence of the EPL. My experience of kids football is telling me that being almost invisible everywhere kids in Bristol go from where they play football, to where they buy their trainers is no strategy.

Really good point about the brand being invisible. Walk into any Sports Direct store in the South West and you'll see all the prem kits and international shirts from across the globe, but no City gear at all!

Why not? Why do we only sell shirts in our own club shop? If we're going to compete with bigger clubs we need to get the brand out there, and at least seeing City shirts on the shelves in sports shops would be a very good start.

Had a roast in a pub yesterday.  Got there after the game man u v Leic.  Some guy came out after the game with his new Man u shirt to boot.  My friend started to talk to him about the game.  He is into the prem due to being a west ham fan.  I had to look away as they had just been beat 5 v 3 due to laughing.  Once i had stopped, i was able to ask him which part of Manchester he was from?  He was from Bristol.  Que the Bs about always having supported them, his dad supported them etc etc.  At that point i alway ask why Man utd and not a team like Bury or Rochdale!  They tend to walk off at that point.

To be fair, it's not rocket science. It's natural for a football fan to like watching good football. Back in the 90s, I used to love watching Man United: the arrogance of Cantona, the youthful confidence of Beckham, the drive and determination (and thuggery) of Keane, the flair of Giggs. I would watch their games on TV as often as possible. And nowadays, I like to watch Barcelona on telly as often as possible, because I think Messi is a genius. If you were a basketball fan in the 70s and the Harlem Globetrotters came to Bristol, you would go to watch them and may even buy their shirt. Bury and Rochdale don't have the same appeal, frankly.

Really good point about the brand being invisible. Walk into any Sports Direct store in the South West and you'll see all the prem kits and international shirts from across the globe, but no City gear at all!

Why not? Why do we only sell shirts in our own club shop? If we're going to compete with bigger clubs we need to get the brand out there, and at least seeing City shirts on the shelves in sports shops would be a very good start.

I understand your use of word brand, but in Bristol City should view themselves as part of the community, not as a brand.

The EPL "brand" is everywhere, there were even adverts within Ashton Gate. City are not only invisible in the Citys sports shops, the club are also invisible within their community. City should attempt to relentlessly define themselves as the City's own community club, not a competitor to the EPL brand.

Shirts in shops is a start, but fans have said this again and again on otib. You can walk and drive around the streets of Bristol and not realise there is a football club here.

You only have to have a quick flick through facebook after Liverpool and Manchester United lose games. A majority of my mates are dishing it out to each other, clogging up my feed with their absolute ******* drivel about something I couldn't give a flying **** about

I put a post up on Sunday night along the lines of 'if only I could think of a social media tool where distant fans of PL clubs could slag each other off and clog up my feed' and how I'd much rather here about R*vers winning that who put 5 into United etc. The stick I got was brilliant:

I'd support City if they merged with R*vers and had a team worth watching and a chance of winning something. Brilliant, maybe if Liverpool and Everton merged they could take on the City & Chelsea, no?

City are shit. Yeah, but they are my shit. And we all have the same accent

R*vers are bigger than City, no matter what league they are in. That one didn't need a response

How did Cam Bulldogs get on, they are your real local team, don't you support them? Brilliant

And what grates me more than anything. Anyone supporting United are 'plastic Manc's' and 'glory hunters'. Of course, none of my Liverpool friends started supporting them after they turned shit and United started winning everything. They also don't live in Liverpool, so they are 'plastic Scousers', no? Apparently not. Pack of complete *******

I'd rather see 10 kids in blue & white quarters than one more in a ******* PL kit

A good day out...

Glad you enjoyed it Spud, I think most people on here are aware of my love for Glawster

Cracking day out, but yeah, it's getting very pricey nowadays

You should go more often, you're obviously a good luck charm!

You only have to have a quick flick through facebook after Liverpool and Manchester United lose games. A majority of my mates are dishing it out to each other, clogging up my feed with their absolute ******* drivel about something I couldn't give a flying **** about

I put a post up on Sunday night along the lines of 'if only I could think of a social media tool where distant fans of PL clubs could slag each other off and clog up my feed' and how I'd much rather here about R*vers winning that who put 5 into United etc. The stick I got was brilliant:

I'd support City if they merged with R*vers and had a team worth watching and a chance of winning something. Brilliant, maybe if Liverpool and Everton merged they could take on the City & Chelsea, no?

City are shit. Yeah, but they are my shit. And we all have the same accent

R*vers are bigger than City, no matter what league they are in. That one didn't need a response

How did Cam Bulldogs get on, they are your real local team, don't you support them? Brilliant

And what grates me more than anything. Anyone supporting United are 'plastic Manc's' and 'glory hunters'. Of course, none of my Liverpool friends started supporting them after they turned shit and United started winning everything. They also don't live in Liverpool, so they are 'plastic Scousers', no? Apparently not. Pack of complete *******

I'd rather see 10 kids in blue & white quarters than one more in a ******* PL kit

Used to live with a Liverpool fan who used to say this. "You can't call me a glory supporter as we have been shit since I started following them" he would say- One day I counted up the amount of trophies that they had won since he started supporting them.

they totalled:

3 FA cups

4 league cups

2 UEFA Super cups

1 UEFA cup

1 champions league

2 charity shields

Bloody hell! Only 2 champions league finals in your time of supporting them! How have you ever coped supporting such shite??

Another favourite quote of mine came last year from a United fan (admittedly form Manchester, but never attends any games) who compared the way Uniteds season was going to ours. At the time they were 6th in the Prem and still in the Champions league- We were 23rd in league 1!!!!! Yeah that's completely the same! I can really understand what you're going through!

It's the scale of the plastics delusions as to what success is and what they "deserve" that drives me up the wall! 

Used to live with a Liverpool fan who used to say this. "You can't call me a glory supporter as we have been shit since I started following them" he would say- One day I counted up the amount of trophies that they had won since he started supporting them.

they totalled:

3 FA cups

4 league cups

2 UEFA Super cups

1 UEFA cup

1 champions league

2 charity shields

Bloody hell! Only 2 champions league finals in your time of supporting them! How have you ever coped supporting such shite??

Another favourite quote of mine came last year from a United fan (admittedly form Manchester, but never attends any games) who compared the way Uniteds season was going to ours. At the time they were 6th in the Prem and still in the Champions league- We were 23rd in league 1!!!!! Yeah that's completely the same! I can really understand what you're going through!

It's the scale of the plastics delusions as to what success is and what they "deserve" that drives me up the wall! 

Ha, that's some kind of shit!

One of the replies on my fb was from a Liverpool fan, who can never get tickets to Anfield (apparently, loads of people I know seem to manage!), but has booked to go to Madrid for European Cup game. Is that not the biggest kind of glory hunter? And the best thing was, when we beat them in the Cup, he was pictured waving his City scarf in the away end in one of the red tops the next day. MASSIVE Liverpool fan!

Also said one day that Liverpool were more important to him that his wife and kids....how lovely is that! To be fair though, he has put it about a lot in years gone by, so maybe he wasn't lying about that one!

The point about the shirts not on sale in sports shops is interesting. I assume the club has some say in having their shirts sold there, specifically in Bristol?

I imagine shirt sales would increase, if only slightly, if sold in a shop in the centre.

I agree about the lack of "promotion" of our club as well. Go to Swindon and walk around town, you'll see a lot more Swindon shirts than you'll see City or Rovers around Bristol. You also see more posters and advert for Swindon.

I can only think that because we had two league teams, the City didn't want to show favouritism to one or the other?! Not that it seems to be an issue in any other City.

I converted a nephew like that and he evangelised to his mates and we've got 3 more little City fans out there.

For me, being anything other than City was never an option, but I remember many playground "Leeds fans" in 1970s Backwell.

Twas ever thus round these parts..

To be fair I have a newphew (in law) whos whole family so say support the gas (but have never been to a game) recon I can bring him along to the city and turn him onto the right only side. That would wind the mother in law up no end.

Archived