IGNORED

Swindon's Reputation

Ian M

• Admin

Was just having a read of an MK forum to see their views on Saturday & had to chuckle at the following quote. Seems it isn't just because of our locality that Swindon's less-than-honest approach has been identified...

A good point which I'dve taken before the game. It's plain to see why Brizzle are top - they're big, powerful and relentless which is what most teams that make it out of this league have to be. We need to finish just behind them and in front of the cheats and a point is a good step in that direction.

Was just having a read of an MK forum to see their views on Saturday & had to chuckle at the following quote. Seems it isn't just because of our locality that Swindon's less-than-honest approach has been identified...

Not just with the Franchise fans either. Forums for just about every club who've faced them in the league this year make similar points.

Their previous rep had been for dodgy book-keeping, now it's that AND cynical diving and cheating.

Not quite As the Swindle fans see it.

Apparently when it comes to theses sort of things we are the experts !

Quote from: Costanza on Friday, February 6, 2015, 11:31:46

Bristol City are dull as dishwater to watch but let's face it, they're very good at winning. I just can't see them dipping below the automatic places. As a supporter of a fellow promotion challenger it's frustrating to see as they always look like they're there for the taking but only a few can quite manage it.

I have seen them play a couple of times this season and yes they are truly dull to watch but as you rightly state they win games without ever being exciting to watch or even very attacking (Freeman excepted).

They remind me a lot of Brentford last season, solid, uninspiring and very dirty and wind up opponents a lot but good at doing that, they will go up this season as one of the autos, I just hope that the Bletchley Stealers come unstuck soon.

Not just with the Franchise fans either. Forums for just about every club who've faced them in the league this year make similar points.

Their previous rep had been for dodgy book-keeping, now it's that AND cynical diving and cheating.

There's a good number of Swindle's own fans who recognise it too, just check out the comments on Swindon Advertiser website (the paper banned from the ground by Power). 

Indeed we are playing some great attacking football so that comment was simply ludicrous. The 'experts' at the BBC couldn't stop raving about our quality so that comments gets thrown out immediately. Supporters have very biased views and rose tinted glasses when it come to their own team.

I wouldn't say we are dirty and I definitely haven't seen any of our players dive or do anything particularly malicious BUT we are for sure made of a lot more metal than we have been in past seasons. If a team comes to rough us up, we do not shy away. We put up with none of it and that, to me, has been another reason why we are where we are. If we could be physically bullied then we would certainly have less points on the board.

Bristol City are dull as dishwater to watch but let's face it, they're very good at winning. I just can't see them dipping below the automatic places. As a supporter of a fellow promotion challenger it's frustrating to see as they always look like they're there for the taking but only a few can quite manage it.

I have seen them play a couple of times this season and yes they are truly dull to watch but as you rightly state they win games without ever being exciting to watch or even very attacking (Freeman excepted).

They remind me a lot of Brentford last season, solid, uninspiring and very dirty and wind up opponents a lot but good at doing that, they will go up this season as one of the autos, I just hope that the Bletchley Stealers come unstuck soon.

Wow - do you think he really believed that when he typed it?

I don't know of one club who hasn't said we play the best football, we're big & strong, good to watch etc etc at their expense.....or anyone else, thinking about it

I don't care how we get there, we just need to get promoted. The fact we're going along so well, with a smile on our faces, and ringing endorsements from just about everyone else makes it sweeter

What are they watching?

Dull as dishwater? Yeah scoring 3 goals in 7 of 8 games September into October was possibly the most bored I've ever been watching Bristol City.

Dirty? Our main stay centre half is so dirty that he hasn't picked up a single booking yet.

Uninspiring? I'd take any style performance over the theatrics and cheating going on at their place.

If they think we are winding people up now I can't wait for our lads to celebrate right in front of them on April 6th.

Idiots.

What are they watching?

Dull as dishwater? Yeah scoring 3 goals in 7 of 8 games September into October was possibly the most bored I've ever been watching Bristol City.

Dirty? Our main stay centre half is so dirty that he hasn't picked up a single booking yet.

Uninspiring? I'd take any style performance over the theatrics and cheating going on at their place.

If they think we are winding people up now I can't wait for our lads to celebrate right in front of them on April 6th.

Idiots.

Give them a break, this is a club whose major achievement since premiership relegation is topping the league in high court winding up orders, I am amazed that they are allowed to get away with so many times, it beggars belief.

I would hazard a guess that if they fail to gain promotion they will be in major financial trouble once more, they seem to be taking one hell of a chance.

Wow. If anything the highlighted sentence is how I'd sum them up going by the game at the county ground.

How often have you heard these

To be fair, how often have you heard these comments levelled at Chelsea? People get bored of teams doing well and look to belittle their style. The fact is Chelsea play great football, and while I'm never trying to compare us with them as they are obviously a world class side, we play good stuff and have scored 50 goals in the league so far. We just know how to grind out results too, and we don't let in many goals. The 'people's champions' last season were Liverpool but they couldn't defend and ultimately they got found out. Swindon/MK may score a few more than us and have some talented players, but we are consistent and hard to beat. That's what wins league titles - clean sheets and never being bullied or outmuscled. If that makes us 'boring' in the eyes of others then who cares.

How often have you heard these

To be fair, how often have you heard these comments levelled at Chelsea? People get bored of teams doing well and look to belittle their style. The fact is Chelsea play great football, and while I'm never trying to compare us with them as they are obviously a world class side, we play good stuff and have scored 50 goals in the league so far. We just know how to grind out results too, and we don't let in many goals. The 'people's champions' last season were Liverpool but they couldn't defend and ultimately they got found out. Swindon/MK may score a few more than us and have some talented players, but we are consistent and hard to beat. That's what wins league titles - clean sheets and never being bullied or outmuscled. If that makes us 'boring' in the eyes of others then who cares.

This is the thing though... they have scored more goals than us but it is hardly an insurmountable amount. 

We have scored 4 fewer than Swindon and 9 fewer than MK. We have a game in hand on both. Our game in hand is against a team we comfortably beat 3-0 away from home so there is every possibility we can reduce the deficit.

I am a Swindon fan and the comments above from my fellow fan are not representative of all of us.

I don't agree that you uninspiring, dirty or boring, but I would say that you are quite direct and a lot more physical than we are. You are probably even more direct now you have Matt Smith, but that would be horses for courses.

I would say that when you played us at our place you were very much like Brentford, Preston, Sheffiled United, in that you tried to unsettle us with a number of fairly 'robust' challenges' early on, Wagstaff (twice) and Wilbraham spring to mind.

I was one of a number of fans commenting on our forum about our partly deserved reputation for diving. We have a number of players who go down too easily for my liking and maybe having a number of premier league loanees doesn't help as they are more inclined to play act. I don't think we are the only team to do it (Mark Little!) but it is becoming more of an issue with us and needs stamping out, as we should be getting plaudits for our football style, not for cheating.

I am a Swindon fan and the comments above from my fellow fan are not representative of all of us.

I don't agree that you uninspiring, dirty or boring, but I would say that you are quite direct and a lot more physical than we are. You are probably even more direct now you have Matt Smith, but that would be horses for courses.

I would say that when you played us at our place you were very much like Brentford, Preston, Sheffiled United, in that you tried to unsettle us with a number of fairly 'robust' challenges' early on, Wagstaff (twice) and Wilbraham spring to mind.

I was one of a number of fans commenting on our forum about our partly deserved reputation for diving. We have a number of players who go down too easily for my liking and maybe having a number of premier league loanees doesn't help as they are more inclined to play act. I don't think we are the only team to do it (Mark Little!) but it is becoming more of an issue with us and needs stamping out, as we should be getting plaudits for our football style, not for cheating.

Typical Swindon idiot.... what dont you **** Off back too your roundabouts and get back too pointing at the moon.....

Swindon have a total of 230 points in the fair play league, City have 166. The lower the number the better the discipline!

Let me point your inaccuracies and hypocrisy, firstly scoring from crosses from the wings is hardly direct play, I can't think of many goals if any we have scored from an uninspired lump upfield and physical where is your evidence for that nonsense?, yours and MK disciplinary record is worse than ours, in fact our record is one of the best in the league and our record would be infinitely better had your serial cheat Nathan Thompson not deliberately gotten a fellow pro sent off and don't forget that we were one player light for nearly 90 minutes of that game, so perhaps any long ball tactic was sort of forced upon us and didn't you recently have 6 bookings in one single game?.

Look mate come on here talk sense by all means but some of your post is nonsense and pure hypocrisy, i'd concentrate on paying your bills perhaps then you would go on racking up winding up orders.

Typical Swindon idiot.... what dont you **** Off back too your roundabouts and get back too pointing at the moon.....

They rake the moon, TB, not just point at it.

To be fair, I thought the lad made a reasonable post. Holds his hands up to his side's U-boat theatrics.

Obviously he's wrong about our "more physical approach". We're robust and characters like Flinty, Ayling and Wilbs take no shyte, but that's a world away from trying to gorilla games. You don't win through thuggery in my view, just limit the size of your defeats. You win through skill and spirit.

Unfortunately, I don't think any teams are 100% honest any more when it comes to "going down easily". We've certainly been given a couple of penalties (Cunningham against Yeovil, Freeman against Notts County) where more a case of "seen them given", rather than "stonewall penalty". It's the way modern football is going, and as no big measures have been taken to stop it, it becomes unfortunately necessary to win games in this way.

City fans are still unhappy about the way that Wade Elliott was sent off against Swindon, as it obviously affected the game substantially. Still, as has been previously stated, good teams will get slated no matter what, and most of these accusations are exaggerated. We are not a dirty team. I don't really think you are either, but I've seen little of you.

Wish you no ill, unlike other posters on here, but I hope we thrash you at the Gate.

Let me point your inaccuracies and hypocrisy, firstly scoring from crosses from the wings is hardly direct play, I can't think of many goals if any we have scored from an uninspired lump upfield and physical where is your evidence for that nonsense?, yours and MK disciplinary record is worse than ours, in fact our record is one of the best in the league and our record would be infinitely better had your serial cheat Nathan Thompson not deliberately gotten a fellow pro sent off and don't forget that we were one player light for nearly 90 minutes of that game, so perhaps any long ball tactic was sort of forced upon us and didn't you recently have 6 bookings in one single game?.

Look mate come on here talk sense by all means but some of your post is nonsense and pure hypocrisy, i'd concentrate on paying your bills perhaps then you would go on racking up winding up orders.

Inaccuracies? Firstly, Nathan Thompson was not involved in the sending off, so there is one inaccuracy for a start.

Secondly, I said you were more direct than us, not that you lump the ball forward willy nilly and have never suggested you were dirty - completely the opposite. Physical does not mean dirty. Flint's disciplinary record is phenomenal for a centre half but it doesn't mean he doesn't get stuck in.

Thirdly, I never said you went long ball at our place and if you were there you would know this wasn't the case. The first half you played the better football and the second half you tired, but I don't recall you ever just hoofing it upfield. By direct, I meant that you get forward quicker than we do, but not by launching it.

I have not commented on our disciplinary record and would be the first to agree it is worse than yours, but I have not in any way defended it and don't see these comments as hypocritical. I felt this was an honest assessment, but have unintentionally hit a nerve, so apologise.

Unfortunately, I don't think any teams are 100% honest any more when it comes to "going down easily". We've certainly been given a couple of penalties (Cunningham against Yeovil, Freeman against Notts County) where more a case of "seen them given", rather than "stonewall penalty". It's the way modern football is going, and as no big measures have been taken to stop it, it becomes unfortunately necessary to win games in this way.

City fans are still unhappy about the way that Wade Elliott was sent off against Swindon, as it obviously affected the game substantially. Still, as has been previously stated, good teams will get slated no matter what, and most of these accusations are exaggerated. We are not a dirty team. I don't really think you are either, but I've seen little of you.

Wish you no ill, unlike other posters on here, but I hope we thrash you at the Gate.

Cheers mate. I think you are spot on regarding penalty decisions and it does happen in every league. Don't blame your fans getting the hump with Elliott's red card. It's not so much the injustice, but the rolling around of the alleged victim, which I do not condone. I am old school and have been watching us since 1985 and whilst I'll take a win against your lot any time, I certainly took no pride in the manner of the red card.

See you at the gate in April - I am certainly expecting some hostility, but maybe not as bad as being pelted with golf balls 30 odd years ago!!

Archived