IGNORED

Swindon's Reputation

Ian M

Inaccuracies? Firstly, Nathan Thompson was not involved in the sending off, so there is one inaccuracy for a start.

It was Jack Stevens, a player on loan from the Southampton Academy (of Dramatic Arts) who's "play-acting" fooled the linesman 

Oh and it may be no coincidence that the activities that gave rise to the Moonraker legend were to fool the excise man! ... plus ca change!

Inaccuracies? Firstly, Nathan Thompson was not involved in the sending off, so there is one inaccuracy for a start.

Secondly, I said you were more direct than us, not that you lump the ball forward willy nilly and have never suggested you were dirty - completely the opposite. Physical does not mean dirty. Flint's disciplinary record is phenomenal for a centre half but it doesn't mean he doesn't get stuck in.

Thirdly, I never said you went long ball at our place and if you were there you would know this wasn't the case. The first half you played the better football and the second half you tired, but I don't recall you ever just hoofing it upfield. By direct, I meant that you get forward quicker than we do, but not by launching it.

I have not commented on our disciplinary record and would be the first to agree it is worse than yours, but I have not in any way defended it and don't see these comments as hypocritical. I felt this was an honest assessment, but have unintentionally hit a nerve, so apologise.

You are correct please accept my humble apologies, you'll have to explain the 'more direct' quote.

You are correct please accept my humble apologies, you'll have to explain the 'more direct' quote.

Apology accepted. No great mystery on the 'more direct' quote. You are more direct than we are, in as much as you break quicker and get the ball forward quicker. We tend to tippy tappy about from the back. It's not a criticism, just a comment and I am certainly not suggesting you are long ball merchants.

Apology accepted. No great mystery on the 'more direct' quote. You are more direct than we are, in as much as you break quicker and get the ball forward quicker. We tend to tippy tappy about from the back. It's not a criticism, just a comment and I am certainly not suggesting you are long ball merchants.

You have to understand that many posters on this forum don't attend games. Our style of play can absolutely be described as "direct". Some games we have been very direct including last week against Fleetwood when our midfield didn't see much of the ball at all. But we can knock it about too and keep possession if required, certainly have the players, Smith, Elliott, Freeman etc to do that.

I am a Swindon fan and the comments above from my fellow fan are not representative of all of us.

I don't agree that you uninspiring, dirty or boring, but I would say that you are quite direct and a lot more physical than we are. You are probably even more direct now you have Matt Smith, but that would be horses for courses.

I would say that when you played us at our place you were very much like Brentford, Preston, Sheffiled United, in that you tried to unsettle us with a number of fairly 'robust' challenges' early on, Wagstaff (twice) and Wilbraham spring to mind.

I was one of a number of fans commenting on our forum about our partly deserved reputation for diving. We have a number of players who go down too easily for my liking and maybe having a number of premier league loanees doesn't help as they are more inclined to play act. I don't think we are the only team to do it (Mark Little!) but it is becoming more of an issue with us and needs stamping out, as we should be getting plaudits for our football style, not for cheating.

More importantly, you have a manager who is more inclined to condone play acting (not publically, of course).

I'm not swindons biggest fan but what's happened in past games is in the past.

We need to to be more consistent then the top teams and we will be champions simples.

We get to caught up moaning about disciplinary records and we lose sight of what we need and want PROMOTION.

We are bristol City and we should not fear anyone.

Defence gelling perfectly getting stronger and stronger every week.

Midfield creative

Forwards scoring goals.

Every other team in the league knows we're the team to beat.

Cheers mate. I think you are spot on regarding penalty decisions and it does happen in every league. Don't blame your fans getting the hump with Elliott's red card. It's not so much the injustice, but the rolling around of the alleged victim, which I do not condone. I am old school and have been watching us since 1985 and whilst I'll take a win against your lot any time, I certainly took no pride in the manner of the red card.

See you at the gate in April - I am certainly expecting some hostility, but maybe not as bad as being pelted with golf balls 30 odd years ago!!

Modern football eh?? They've taken all the fun out of it   :whistle:

Think some struggle with this.

Physical does not mean dirty, or unfair. We are and needed to be more so.

Direct does not mean long ball. We are certainly more direct than Swindon and Mk. Liverpool were more direct last year than Chelsea and Man City.

If it gets them wins, at the end of the day who cares if they cheat and dive, obviously looking from the outside it riles you up but if I was a Swindon fan I really couldn't care.

I'd be more worried about their finances and their impending administration for the 15,000,444,466 time :)

If only it were impending.

You and I know it won't actually happen.

In my opinion the reputation of Swindle is well deserved and I really do not give a flying **** what any of their gormless supporters think of us.  Whenever I watch City I am impressed by their skill, passing and inventiveness.  As for MK.............. they are a good side but we are better.

Not quite As the Swindle fans see it.

Apparently when it comes to theses sort of things we are the experts !

Quote from: Costanza on Friday, February 6, 2015, 11:31:46

Bristol City are dull as dishwater to watch but let's face it, they're very good at winning. I just can't see them dipping below the automatic places. As a supporter of a fellow promotion challenger it's frustrating to see as they always look like they're there for the taking but only a few can quite manage it.

I have seen them play a couple of times this season and yes they are truly dull to watch but as you rightly state they win games without ever being exciting to watch or even very attacking (Freeman excepted).

They remind me a lot of Brentford last season, solid, uninspiring and very dirty and wind up opponents a lot but good at doing that, they will go up this season as one of the autos, I just hope that the Bletchley Stealers come unstuck soon.

So I'm guessing Swindle are the L1 equivalent to Real Madrid or Barcelona then?

Think some struggle with this.

Physical does not mean dirty, or unfair. We are and needed to be more so.

Direct does not mean long ball. We are certainly more direct than Swindon and Mk. Liverpool were more direct last year than Chelsea and Man City.

I said exactly that and got told to f** off and that I was a hypocrite who talks nonsense, so I hope you have better luck!

Yep, certainly was! And he would not get criticised by me for doing so. Just like no one criticised Scott Murray, and rightly so. Opposing fans must hate it, as no doubt Cardiff fans did, but it's pretty harmless stuff. It's all part of football - whereas going down theatrically and rolling around is not. One thing I would say is that if Flint does the same to us at Ashton Gate, I will be as savage as you lot were, but I won't be involving the police.

Yep, certainly was! And he would not get criticised by me for doing so. Just like no one criticised Scott Murray, and rightly so. Opposing fans must hate it, as no doubt Cardiff fans did, but it's pretty harmless stuff. It's all part of football - whereas going down theatrically and rolling around is not. One thing I would say is that if Flint does the same to us at Ashton Gate, I will be as savage as you lot were, but I won't be involving the police.

that is one thing I hate about supporters, good at giving it out but someone gives it back and they start crying, having said that Thompson made himself look a right ***** the way he acted, good player but really needs to take a look at himself, if it had been last game of the season and he had just won the league I could have understood it.

Did someone genuinely report it to the police though? I did hear it mentioned at the time but assumed it was a windup. If true, I believe the phrase in vogue is 'grow a pair'.

Off the pitch your set up is a joke. The 2200 fans on the Stratton Bank that day had 5 portaloos in the ground, 3 male, 2 female. You can imagine their condition by half time. I know of 2 women who contracted bacterial infections and were ill all the following week. I have Swindon Borough Councils' Environmental Health team currently heavily involved, if it results in a fine for Swindle I will be chuffed to f@ck. Oh, and the reason why your Stratton Bank has not been used by away fans since we were there......my complaint. We can't wait for your visit to the Gate. Golf balls..??? FAR too subtle....

Off the pitch your set up is a joke. The 2200 fans on the Stratton Bank that day had 5 portaloos in the ground, 3 male, 2 female. You can imagine their condition by half time. I know of 2 women who contracted bacterial infections and were ill all the following week. I have Swindon Borough Councils' Environmental Health team currently heavily involved, if it results in a fine for Swindle I will be chuffed to f@ck. Oh, and the reason why your Stratton Bank has not been used by away fans since we were there......my complaint. We can't wait for your visit to the Gate. Golf balls..??? FAR too subtle....

Thank you! Not sure that is entirely true as we had a school kids initiative a few months back and packed that stand, although it is only opened two or three times a season anyway as few away sides warrant the extra seats. Probably the same reason the toilets are a disgrace but I would hope something is done about it.

MK are the dirtiest side in the league, Swindon not much better. We have the joint fewest amount of yellow cards in the league:

http://www.footstats.co.uk/index.cfm?task=Leagues

That's the point. Yes we are strong, powerful, have got height in the side and we don't get beat up but we are DISCIPLINED with it. Both Swindon and MK Dons have disciplinary issues if you look at their respective records and that will ultimately cost at least one of them I reckon.

We are direct in that we like to get the ball forward rather than 43 going nowhere sideways passes along the back before an aimless punt forward, SO'D style, but only an idiot would confuse that with us being a long ball side. Look at the stats - we pass it as much as anyone IN THE OPPOSITIONS HALF.

Let me point your inaccuracies and hypocrisy, firstly scoring from crosses from the wings is hardly direct play, I can't think of many goals if any we have scored from an uninspired lump upfield and physical where is your evidence for that nonsense?, yours and MK disciplinary record is worse than ours, in fact our record is one of the best in the league and our record would be infinitely better had your serial cheat Nathan Thompson not deliberately gotten a fellow pro sent off and don't forget that we were one player light for nearly 90 minutes of that game, so perhaps any long ball tactic was sort of forced upon us and didn't you recently have 6 bookings in one single game?.

Look mate come on here talk sense by all means but some of your post is nonsense and pure hypocrisy, i'd concentrate on paying your bills perhaps then you would go on racking up winding up orders.

Nathan Thompson had nothing at all to do with the justified sending off of Elliott. Elliott headbutted a Swindon player so deserved to see red. As ever, unless you were actually at a game, you can't really comment fairly. As you said "some of your post is nonsense".

Nathan Thompson had nothing at all to do with the justified sending off of Elliott. Elliott headbutted a Swindon player so deserved to see red. As ever, unless you were actually at a game, you can't really comment fairly. As you said "some of your post is nonsense".

Wade was dragged back by the shoulders causing his head to jerk back. There was no headbutt at all.

Wade was dragged back by the shoulders causing his head to jerk back. There was no headbutt at all.

Sorry pal. I agree he was held by the Swindon player but after that there was a deliberate upward movement(called a headbutt). This happened about 10 yards directly in front of us. It was Elliott doing the cheating(headbutt)

Iv'e never seen you lot as rivals and to be honest you have always been an irrelevance. But after the way your players celebrated in front of us at the final whistle like you won the ******* European cup, i think its safe to say you will be getting a rather warm reception at our place.

That's fair enough. Shame the capacity will be reduced as if we were both still in the top two it would have been a good crowd and great atmosphere. Still be hostile I suspect. Can't wait.

Archived