IGNORED

Swindon's Reputation

Ian M

I will genuinely be astounded if there is anything remotely resembling a hostile atmosphere at 'the gate' - never has been when I've visited in the past. Always found the place rather quiet and the supporters indifferent.

Thats cos you ***** are a mickey mouse club who dont inspire 98% of of fans in to any action. Unlike Cardiff, the Gas...even Plymuff...me I cant stand your town or your fans I had the misfortune to live there for 18 months. Thankfully I escaped, NEVER to return

Pretty interesting reading this thread. I am an oldham fan, I was on here quite a bit when we played you in November. This is the first time that I've been back... Not much has happened since, we've had a quiet winter. No controversy at all.....?!

We beat Swindon last night. A very, very odd game. After 10 minutes we were 2 up, both from mistakes, they then completely dominated posession, but they only created one clear cut chance in 80 minutes and a good header from a corner. Even their goal was a long range shot the keeper should save.

We had hardly any of the ball, but had a good goal ruled out for offside and their keeper made 3 saves. 2 of which, we should be finishing.

What was interesting was the way they cynically left a boot in. Some really nasty challenges. This obviously isn't a case of sour grapes... We won. As the players left at full time, 2 were throwing the v's up at our fans, having a go. Yes we had a go back, but we were trying to celebrate a victory. They came out to have a go.

They play good football, but mask it with a real nasty streak.

And their keeper is shit.

Glad to see you are still up there, especially with Matt Smith.

Pretty interesting reading this thread. I am an oldham fan, I was on here quite a bit when we played you in November. This is the first time that I've been back... Not much has happened since, we've had a quiet winter. No controversy at all.....?!

We beat Swindon last night. A very, very odd game. After 10 minutes we were 2 up, both from mistakes, they then completely dominated posession, but they only created one clear cut chance in 80 minutes and a good header from a corner. Even their goal was a long range shot the keeper should save.

We had hardly any of the ball, but had a good goal ruled out for offside and their keeper made 3 saves. 2 of which, we should be finishing.

What was interesting was the way they cynically left a boot in. Some really nasty challenges. This obviously isn't a case of sour grapes... We won. As the players left at full time, 2 were throwing the v's up at our fans, having a go. Yes we had a go back, but we were trying to celebrate a victory. They came out to have a go.

They play good football, but mask it with a real nasty streak.

And their keeper is shit.

Glad to see you are still up there, especially with Matt Smith.

Thanks for posting mate.

Interesting to hear your view on the number of chances they created.  Listening to Mark Cooper he reckons that for periods in the game it was the best football they've played this season.  Maybe it was a case of tippy-tappy possession football without any cutting edge?

nathan-thompson-bristol-city.jpg?w=918FORE!

Cheers mate. I think you are spot on regarding penalty decisions and it does happen in every league. Don't blame your fans getting the hump with Elliott's red card. It's not so much the injustice, but the rolling around of the alleged victim, which I do not condone. I am old school and have been watching us since 1985 and whilst I'll take a win against your lot any time, I certainly took no pride in the manner of the red card.

See you at the gate in April - I am certainly expecting some hostility, but maybe not as bad as being pelted with golf balls 30 odd years ago!!

Swindle have 62 yellow cards so far and four red. That's before they totally lose it against us at our place.

We have 37 BTW and Swindle are top card earners.

Seems the refs talk and have their number now.

I cannot believe their idiots will not get a couple of reds against us.

If I may correct your info.

Cards accumulated by each Club

MK 2 red 62 yellow

Swindon 2 red 45 yellow

Sheff U 3 red 36 yellow

PNE 1 red 37 yellow

City 2 red 27 yellow

Cards accumulated by clubs when playing AGAINST the named team

Sheff U 6 red 62 yellow

Swindon 4 red 63 yellow

MK 4 red 61 yellow

PNE 2 red 41 yellow

City 1 red 38 yellow

So MK have got more cards than any other team. Swindon are mid table for cards.

What is apparent is that teams playing Sheff U, Swindon and MK have accumulated loads of cards. How much is due to play acting by those three clubs is not available.

It is abundantly clear that matches involving City have a lot less cards for both teams than any involving the four named clubs above.

City's secret weapon is good discipline as well as good quality football.

MK 2 red 62 yellow

Swindon 2 red 45 yellow

Sheff U 3 red 36 yellow

PNE 1 red 37 yellow

City 2 red 27 yellow

Sheff U 6 red 62 yellow

Swindon 4 red 63 yellow

MK 4 red 61 yellow

PNE 2 red 41 yellow

City 1 red 38 yellow

What is apparent is that teams playing Sheff U, Swindon and MK have accumulated loads of cards. How much is due to play acting by those three clubs is not available.

It is abundantly clear that matches involving City have a lot less cards for both teams than any involving the four named clubs above.

Maybe there should be a "Cheating bastards" table for the clubs whose opponents get most cards.

I will genuinely be astounded if there is anything remotely resembling a hostile atmosphere at 'the gate' - never has been when I've visited in the past. Always found the place rather quiet and the supporters indifferent.

I think you under estimate the anger felt by us reds after the game at your place. Your players baying for a sending off to the ref was classless, that clown Thompson at the end said it all. Be under no illusion, you are in for a very hard time at AG, especially

Mr Thompson.

MK 2 red 62 yellow

Swindon 2 red 45 yellow

Sheff U 3 red 36 yellow

PNE 1 red 37 yellow

City 2 red 27 yellow

Sheff U 6 red 62 yellow

Swindon 4 red 63 yellow

MK 4 red 61 yellow

PNE 2 red 41 yellow

City 1 red 38 yellow

Looks like we will need that discipline on Saturday!!

Haha! He's obviously a kid - probably no older than 17 - but he's beginning to get the hang of this! Got a few bites  ;)

Make no mistake, everybody in Bristol is looking forward to your visit.

It's hilarious, when they win they're the greatest side in the world, when they lose it's "oh we're such a small club with a little budget"

It literally is, even on their forum yesterday though they were saying how Oldham were complimentary on the style of football Swindon played and that they were the best team they have played. They have their heads up their arses and I cannot wait to hear when we get promotion and they dont for their fans to come out saying well we are little swindon with a small budget who were predicted relegation. Its absolute trash on the proportions of the Gas.

It literally is, even on their forum yesterday though they were saying how Oldham were complimentary on the style of football Swindon played and that they were the best team they have played. They have their heads up their arses and I cannot wait to hear when we get promotion and they dont for their fans to come out saying well we are little swindon with a small budget who were predicted relegation. Its absolute trash on the proportions of the Gas.

What really annoys me about fans are the ones who are santimonious. "We play fantastic football blah blah blah"

There is more than one way to skin a cat. It annoys me about Latics fans. As if passing the ball gives you a right to win anything and everything.

The game is essentially about the fundementals:

Defending well,

creating chances, but ultimately finishing them.

If you do those things, you will be onto a winner. Posession is not the law in football, it is goals.

I personally wasn't that impressed by Swindon. Lots of neat passing, switching the play, running to the box, but they didn't test our keeper much.

1 good save when they completely carved us up, a header from a corner and the long range goal. We created the better chances, often due to their inability to handle basic pressure at the back.

Press them high up the pitch and you will cause them problems. Teams who don't do that could get picked off.

Williams was only on their bench though. If he had have played, it could have been a different - they may play differently with him.

I'm in the minority who were not that impressed with them. Wolves last year were very good. Southampton of a few years ago were exceptional. Swindon.. meh.

If they only make the play offs, when things were tight, they are the kind of side I'd like to play.

What really annoys me about fans are the ones who are santimonious. "We play fantastic football blah blah blah"

There is more than one way to skin a cat. It annoys me about Latics fans. As if passing the ball gives you a right to win anything and everything.

The game is essentially about the fundementals:

Defending well,

creating chances, but ultimately finishing them.

If you do those things, you will be onto a winner. Posession is not the law in football, it is goals.

I personally wasn't that impressed by Swindon. Lots of neat passing, switching the play, running to the box, but they didn't test our keeper much.

1 good save when they completely carved us up, a header from a corner and the long range goal. We created the better chances, often due to their inability to handle basic pressure at the back.

Press them high up the pitch and you will cause them problems. Teams who don't do that could get picked off.

Williams was only on their bench though. If he had have played, it could have been a different - they may play differently with him.

I'm in the minority who were not that impressed with them. Wolves last year were very good. Southampton of a few years ago were exceptional. Swindon.. meh.

If they only make the play offs, when things were tight, they are the kind of side I'd like to play.

Spot on. To me its just another fall back excuse when they lose to make them feel better.

In this division you have to grind out wins when not playing well to go up, i'm going by when we have missed out on auto and when we have gone up automatically.

Just seen the goals conceded against Oldham, comical defending from a comical club, where's STFCSN6 now? Lost your cockiness? Haha.

Never been cocky, just called you lot out on a few things (like you wouldn't have hoards of fans in the home stands when we played you at the County Ground.....and you didn't. And Ashton Gate hasn't suddenly become the Al Sami Yen Stadium and us poor Swindon fans and players are going to think we're in hell....it hasn't and we'll all be fine). You need to gain a bit of perspective, you're Bristol City, nothing more, nothing less, nothing special.

Never been cocky, just called you lot out on a few things (like you wouldn't have hoards of fans in the home stands when we played you at the County Ground.....and you didn't. And Ashton Gate hasn't suddenly become the Al Sami Yen Stadium and us poor Swindon fans and players are going to think we're in hell....it hasn't and we'll all be fine). You need to gain a bit of perspective, you're Bristol City, nothing more, nothing less, nothing special.

There was a fair few City fans in the home sections at Swindon!

Looking forward to Ashton Road pre & post match on Bank Holiday Monday.

One Team, on 10 Feb 2015 - 10:53 PM, said:

The OP makes a valid point.

"As good as this promotion campaign is, and as attractive as the football is, it is nowhere near as enjoyable or as fun as the Johnson and Ward promotion seasons (purely from an atmosphere point of view)."

One Team

"That's the point in trying to make. We should be buzzing, but I can't say I massively look forward to going to each home game....as it's so flat and dull.

I'm just glad and thankful the players are doing there part"

**** me, you're even talking about it amongst yourselves on another thread. I rest my case. Debate over. See you in April for a little but of shouting and some loud clapping.

There was a fair few City fans in the home sections at Swindon!

Looking forward to Ashton Road pre & post match on Bank Holiday Monday.

Indeed. The stewards couldn't stop my little boy in a wheelchair with his City shirt. He was in the home end. He's only 11 but thought our garden shed was better than the hole we watched from.

Archived