IGNORED

IT'S HAPPENING

Shtanley

10 minutes ago, Shtanley said:

I for one don't mind this (if its true). It could be a lot worse. He just tweeted it, ignore the time on it.56b3e6353aaa6_ScreenShot2016-02-05at00.0 

4 hours ago, P'head Red said:

10/1 with sky bet at the moment :whistle:

Just done it....so it WON'T  :grr:

.....................................................................................................................................................................

As I said     :grr:

If LJ is appointed it just shows how unambitious we are as a club and Lansdown's musings about challenging to get into the Prem next season is frankly him spouting more bollocks.

As for this statement on Cotts sacking

"The club's aspiration is to ultimately become a Premier League club and this decision has been made to achieve our overall strategy for growth and player development."

Frankly laughable.

1 minute ago, Dynamite Red said:

If LJ is appointed it just shows how unambitious we are as a club and Lansdown's musings about challenging to get into the Prem next season is frankly him spouting more bollocks.

"The club's aspiration is to ultimately become a Premier League club and this decision has been made to achieve our overall strategy for growth and player development."

Frankly laughable.

That statement was laughable from the moment it was released. Out of the many names we've been realistically linked with, LJ is one of the few interesting ones. I think it'd be a huge gamble but it'd be exciting at least. And it's been a season of little excitement.

5 minutes ago, Dynamite Red said:

Frankly laughable.

If LJ puts an academy player as our 7th player he's already done more for player development

I don't think he would be a bad choice, seems well liked at Barnsley and Oldham, and to be fair with both teams has done very well. Is he someone that would be able to keep us up, and push on next season, time would tell.

The other part of me thinks that it would have disaster all over it from the beginning. As soon as things started to go wrong, couple of bad performances or losses, and the boo boys will start. Some people still have a very negative view of him from his time here as a player.

I do honestly think it would be a good fit for both parties if it were to happen. Just not sure he'd have the pull to get in a higher calibre of player. Let's face it, Moyes isn't going to happen, Pearson is unlikely as well (plus if either had applied they would already be here), and Monk has already split opinions (although as with LJ I think it could work well).

Besides, thought it was nailed on that Pembo had it until the summer!!!??

6 hours ago, Dynamite Red said:

Frankly laughable.

So true ! 

This seasons has more downers than this server on the forum.  Appointing an uninspiring manager would be the biggest downer of all.  I rate Cotts and GJ a lot higher than Lee Johnson (who might grow into being a successful manager but has proved nothing yet).  Saying that, if he saves us this season will eat my words 

A lot of people saying its a dreadful choice that lacks ambition, but without any back up or reasoning. Anyone care to offer some? 

Incredibly young in managers terms, done a great job at Oldham, so much so he got offered the Barnsley job. Took on a side that was in a mess, had ups and downs with a side everyone before him only had downs with, has steadied the ship, turned results around and got to Wembley - all whilst both sets of fans like him, and playing a brand of football that's hard to establish in League One. 

He also would have the benefit of know both club and city here. 

He'll make mistakes, already had - but at least he's learning. A far better option than Garry Monk who turned a good Premier League side crap, whilst ensuring fans that adored him for a decade now hate him . . . 

1 hour ago, Taz said:

I don't think he would be a bad choice, seems well liked at Barnsley and Oldham, and to be fair with both teams has done very well. Is he someone that would be able to keep us up, and push on next season, time would tell.

The other part of me thinks that it would have disaster all over it from the beginning. As soon as things started to go wrong, couple of bad performances or losses, and the boo boys will start. Some people still have a very negative view of him from his time here as a player.

I do honestly think it would be a good fit for both parties if it were to happen. Just not sure he'd have the pull to get in a higher calibre of player. Let's face it, Moyes isn't going to happen, Pearson is unlikely as well (plus if either had applied they would already be here), and Monk has already split opinions (although as with LJ I think it could work well).

Besides, thought it was nailed on that Pembo had it until the summer!!!??

Often repeated on here recently, but I honestly don't think ANYONE cares about that.

It's his lack of experience, and suitability for the job - particularly at this time - and the fact it seems to be an easy appointment for a board who for whatever reason has apparently always earmarked him to take over at some stage just because they like him that brings forward the negativity.

3 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Often repeated on here recently, but I honestly don't think ANYONE cares about that.

It's his lack of experience, and suitability for the job - particularly at this time - and the fact it seems to be an easy appointment for a board who for whatever reason has apparently always earmarked him to take over at some stage just because they like him that brings forward the negativity.

What makes him unsuitable? There's so many parallels to Gary Rowett to Brum - former player, knocking around the lower divisions (lower than where LJ has managed), he took Brum from 21st to 10 and has done remarkable there really. What made him suitable? What made Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink suitable for QPR, Nigel Adkins for Saints - a club many of us say we should aspire to; Gary Monk at Swansea. 

Far bigger, more established, more attractive clubs have had to take 'punts'. It's not beyond us to have to. Pearson, Moues, pie in the sky and further examples of why we are not so attractive - ideas far above our station and not recognising what we are. 

As LJ is employed by another club, the forewarning of this will not be Alan Nixon making what is actually quite a vague statement on Twitter (if nothing comes of it he can just say "one of the parties had a last minute change of heart" and he can still be lauded as football journalism's Mystic Meg), it'll be every sports news service reporting that we've been given permission to speak to LJ. If you're speaking to an out of work manager you can maybe keep it quiet. Speak to a contracted manager and there are two many people who'll know about it

It may happen though; LJ seems to be a well regarded coach and obviously has a history with us. I can't say I'd be particularly overwhelmed by the appointment, but we could certainly do worse

Archived