IGNORED

Gross misconduct in City media department

Olé

P45's all round. There is no other proportional response.

Player HD interview with Scott Golbourne today.

• Mark Perrow: "..how much positivity could Bristol take from their performance on Tuesday night?"
  • Scott Golbourne "..we really gave it a go, which is what the fans want to see from a Bristol side.."

Have these people all taken leave of their senses? Why have they all suddenly started saying this? 

It's not like they're new signings, just arrived at the club - they've both been saying City for years.

It's too much of a coincidence after all this time that collective amnesia has set in about our name. 

My money is on a "brand consultant" and a new 'Bristol Sport' directive. I think we should be told.

5 minutes ago, Olé said:

• Mark Perrow: "..how much positivity could Bristol take from their performance on Tuesday night?"
  • Scott Golbourne "..we really gave it a go, which is what the fans want to see from a Bristol side.."

Have these people all taken leave of their senses? Why have they all suddenly started saying this? 

It's not like they're new signings, just arrived at the club - they've both been saying City for years.

It's too much of a coincidence after all this time that collective amnesia has set in about our name. 

My money is on a "brand consultant" and a new 'Bristol Sport' directive. I think we should be told.

Scott Golbourne? The Bristol City bed covers as a kid Scott Golbourne?

It's a clever way of erasing the blue few out of the minds of the 'floating supporter' who might consider watching them as an option. If they cease to exist in the conscious mind, then more floating supporters and newcomers/visitors to the Bristol area will see City as the only football team to go and watch/support. If we don't do this, you can bet that Wally would've tried it in the next few years if they eventually get their act together.

There's only one team in Bristol . We are Bristol , Bristol City or just City .

I really don't see what all the fuss is about .

In days of yore we all sang ' Brrrrrisssstol ' NO one said we're not Bristol .

It's not like we've changed our name or shirt colour .

I suppose your thread is a humorous one but there are plenty who get their tits in a tangle when someone calls us Bristol .

7 minutes ago, Dollymarie said:

Nobody refers to Manchester United or Manchester City as just Manchester? As much as we don't like our lesser spotted blue cousins existence, they do exist, and so we should always be referred to as Bristol City! 

To be fair, the two of those have effectively taken possession of 'City' and 'United'. Whenever someone in Bristol asks me who I support and I reply 'City', nine times out of ten they assume that I mean Man City. I wouldn't mind so much if it only happened outside of Bristol. :grr:

14 minutes ago, Dollymarie said:

Nobody refers to Manchester United or Manchester City as just Manchester? As much as we don't like our lesser spotted blue cousins existence, they do exist, and so we should always be referred to as Bristol City! 

It's a quirk of language and the relative need for a distinction.

Man U and Man C are currently on a level where both are equally recognised and confusion could easily arise if both were referred to as simply "Manchester".  Therefore a distinction is almost always required when discussing them, to avoid confusion. In fact they are so recognised that, as @MichaelRobartes says, they have effectively taken ownership of "United" and "City" respectively.  However, go back 20 years and say to a stranger that you support "Manchester" and see how many people from outside of Manchester reply with "which one?".

Bristol City and Bristol Rovers are not on a level with each other and are not equally recognised in the wider world - which is where the site and videos are presumably targeted.  In the wider world no distinction is required as the natural assumption is that there is simply one team in Bristol and that team is the one that is 6th in the Championship and plays in red.

Locally in Bristol there may need to be a qualification added in order to make it clear which team you are talking about.

22 minutes ago, MichaelRobartes said:

To be fair, the two of those have effectively taken possession of 'City' and 'United'. Whenever someone in Bristol asks me who I support and I reply 'City', nine times out of ten they assume that I mean Man City. I wouldn't mind so much if it only happened outside of Bristol. :grr:

Not calling you a liar but I find that amazing. I have lived most of my 40 odd years in and around Bristol and when I've said I'm a City fan people have known I've meant Bristol City immediately. I've never had a single person assume I've meant Manchester or Leicester etc. And to be fair the same is true with the Gas, whenever I've heard someone say they are a Rovers fan nobody has ever assumed its Blackburn or Melchester.

3 minutes ago, sglosbcfc said:

Not calling you a liar but I find that amazing. I have lived most of my 40 odd years in and around Bristol and when I've said I'm a City fan people have known I've meant Bristol City immediately. I've never had a single person assume I've meant Manchester or Leicester etc. And to be fair the same is true with the Gas, whenever I've heard someone say they are a Rovers fan nobody has ever assumed its Blackburn or Melchester.

Sure nine out of ten is an exaggeration, but it is an overwhelming majority. To be fair I don't have a Bristolian accent and nor do the majority of people who ask me, but some do. Recently one guy (with a very clear Bristolian accent) who thought that I was referring to Man City proudly proclaimed himself to be a Man Utd fan and later claimed that City were his Bristol team. I am obviously associating with the wrong sorts.

Of course it's only been a thing since Man City started buying success.

5 minutes ago, MichaelRobartes said:

Sure nine out of ten is an exaggeration, but it is an overwhelming majority. To be fair I don't have a Bristolian accent and nor do the majority of people who ask me, but some do. Recently one guy (with a very clear Bristolian accent) who thought that I was referring to Man City proudly proclaimed himself to be a Man Utd fan and later claimed that City were his Bristol team. I am obviously associating with the wrong sorts.

They're Citeh NOT City.

Excellent thoughts, all.

It depends in Bristol who you're talking to. Any local with a modicum of interest in sport will know what you mean by 'City'. An outsider might not, although they'd be pretty thick to just assume Man City. Man City being referred to just as City is a very recent development in my book.

Personally, whilst the argument that it shepherds the Gypsies further towards the margins of the world's consciousness, calling us Bristol is r-u-b-b-i-s-h. Sheffield? Does it happen there? Nottingham? Glasgow? (I jest, with this last, before anyone starts...)

We are Bristol City or City. Never Bristol. Never have been, never will be.

Until Bristol Sport get their way.

1 hour ago, Olé said:

In all seriousness, I quite agree. Why on earth is Perrow referring to us as Bristol? Does he do the rugby interviews too, only rational explanation?

1 hour ago, Major Isewater said:

There's only one team in Bristol . We are Bristol , Bristol City or just City .

I really don't see what all the fuss is about .

In days of yore we all sang ' Brrrrrisssstol ' NO one said we're not Bristol .

It's not like we've changed our name or shirt colour .

I suppose your thread is a humorous one but there are plenty who get their tits in a tangle when someone calls us Bristol .

Old age doesn't come alone............ .   ..

54 minutes ago, MichaelRobartes said:

Other day I left my flat in Kingswood about 1 o clock to go to one of our games. Neighbour asked where I was heading and I said "Off to the City ground to watch the football today" at which point he asked if I meant Man City! :facepalm:.

Course I could have said Ashton Gate, but thought it was pretty clear I wasn't on my way to Manchester in a Bristol City top 2 hours before kickoff!

2 hours ago, Olé said:

Or maybe it's just we were playing Hull City and just reffering to "City" would have been regarded as not being clear..?!

I think "Bristol" alone sounds a little odd, but have no problem with it if it is a "branding" thing. So long as "City" is never, EVER dropped, which it won't be. 

It would actually be funnier if they did come out and make a statement along the lines of..."as the only significant football team in Bristol and with Rovers moving to South Glos and therefore not worthy of the city name, we shall now refer in press to ourselves as "Bristol" and would like everybody to follow suit. 

3 hours ago, Olé said:

Enjoy the tinfoil hat, it'll all be ok.

Archived