IGNORED

Tomlin to Cardiff - CONFIRMED

Ian M

15 minutes ago, stephenkibby. said:

Have you got your money on that already?

Seems to me a good piece of business, Tomlin was unlikely to be a starter this season. Johnson wants a side full of energy, closing down in the oppositions half and regaining the ball as quick as possible.

We ended with a young side last season witch will improve for last years experience.

And you must believe (with your prediction) that no more young hungry players are set to arrive before the season starts?

I loose the will to live with the doom and gloom from some on here. 2 or 3 good young players and well look a side.

Not been a Johnson fan and if things go tits up early then the man's on thin ice. But I'm for one looking forward to a side trying to play good football and playing for each other, and quite frankly Tomlin plays for Tomlin.

what like a 30yr old defender and a sengalise striker who have never played in this div before ? I think Sweden have got some good strikers like the one we bought and plays over there, maybe try for another one of them; desperation just like his dad who brought players in from all over...to no avail.

3 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

All the time LJ is running the show the only hole left behind by Tomlin would be on the bench...Possibly the one next to Engval.. :laugh:

Anyway the big story is.....What are @LEETOMLINMALORD @LeeTomlin10 and @LeeTomlinMyLord going to change there names to....

@Engvall's Splinter might need some pointers!!

Likewise @Tuggin over Tomlin

1 hour ago, Red_Wizard said:

@JoeAman08 fair play to you is all I can say. 

But putting Bryan, and Brownhill under quality straight away is an eye roller in my book. Bryan hasn't been linked to any big club recently. He's been poor in this division. The jury is still out on Brownhill, and I'm sure the Swansea rumour was BS. Paterson could be a quality player if playing and performing regularly this season. Fair play to saying Pack, because he would be one of the first players out of this club in my view. 

Reading your last paragraph, I think you're going to be in for one hell of a shock my friend. I'll have the drinks ready in case. ;)

Joe Bryan has been linked with Villa, Derby, Sunderland and Burnley this summer. He's highly thought of even if a bit inconsistent. I've said this many times, it's hard to find quality full backs in this division. Scott Malone earned a premier league move and a 16 year old who played half the time as a winger was the LB for the championship team of the season. Derby fans couldn't wait to get rid of Christie who most here would've taken. It's an unglamourous position and one where I think they're rated too harshly. Brownhill I think teams bigger than us took a look because he was on a shorter contract and they thought they could get a good prospect cheap. I think it shows he's got the talent though. These players have another year under their belts now as well. I see us in the 60s for points this year. Time will tell though. At least save me a drink if I'm wrong. :laugh: 

On 12/07/2017 at 11:07, LD83 said:

It just further supports what I was told yesterday evening and why he was left out of the squad at Bath, despite a previous indication that he would be. 

Also - not convinced the fee is anywhere near £2m upfront and majority relates to add-on's on appearances and bonuses. Was a suggestion of a loan-deal mooted at one point.

As I said here, this was initially going to be a loan deal, which has since been confirmed by Warnock. £2.9m is the top end price, subject to a number of objectives being hit. Confident the actual cost is closer to half of the figure, up front. The release in wages being key for the club.

1 hour ago, BigTone said:

don't recall it TBH. But regardless of that why did LJ come out a very short time ago and say Tomlin was still very much in his plans. Frankly I no longer believe a word he says and don't blame the players if they are getting frustrated by him.

You gotta consider the purpose behind the words. We sold LT for up to £2.9m, if he said he wasn't in his plans we wouldn't have got that. Similar when we sold Kodjia to a championship club for a premium. 

I believe him on most things. Players in and out, there are lies but they are justifiably means to an end. 

9 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

Joe Bryan has been linked with Villa, Derby, Sunderland and Burnley this summer. He's highly thought of even if a bit inconsistent. I've said this many times, it's hard to find quality full backs in this division. Scott Malone earned a premier league move and a 16 year old who played half the time as a winger was the LB for the championship team of the season. Derby fans couldn't wait to get rid of Christie who most here would've taken. It's an unglamourous position and one where I think they're rated too harshly. Brownhill I think teams bigger than us took a look because he was on a shorter contract and they thought they could get a good prospect cheap. I think it shows he's got the talent though. These players have another year under their belts now as well. I see us in the 60s for points this year. Time will tell though. At least save me a drink if I'm wrong. :laugh:

Certainly not having a pop, but I honestly think Bryan being made to play full back is improving neither him nor the team - for every half decent performance there, he had two-to-three outright bad ones - for me, he doesn't have the mindset for that role, as good a left sided wingback (a distinctly differ position before it's mentioned) or winger.  Would even say he has played better in the centre that at full back.

If he were to move clubs (a possibility; am sure he has admirers) I don't think it would be as a full back.

Realise it is a side point, but it scares me how people now accept that position is 'sorted' because we've got Joe - I honestly think we need another left back, and maybe right back too, in case the new Italian lad isn't all that (unless Moore/Vyner will be used, which is possible).

For all the forward/Tomlin chat, I think the real problem is still that we haven't got a clear first choice unit at the back I trust; we did alright scoring without Tomlin (Paterson is as good as him, for me) and while faith may be required to believe the new lad can replace Tammy, I'm willing to say we've done okay recruiting a decent point-of-the-spear striker each of the last two years.

However, while I think we've got some okay forward options, I think we are a little relaxed about a defensive unit that really didn't do all that well for a lot of last year; personally, I'd love a couple of decent new full backs to counter that.

45 minutes ago, downendcity said:

If it happened the way described, then in hindsight LJ should have got Tomlin shipped out in the January window. Once a player talks to his boss that way in public I can't see there being anyway back. 

However, given the state we were i at the time I can also understand that LJ would have been between a rock and a hard place. It was clear that he was trying to accommodate Tomlin, and he probably realised the huge backlash there would have been had Tomlin been sold or sent out on loan at that time, and the even bigger backlash if we were then relegated. 

It's classic  situation in that whatever LJ did it would have been the wrong decision.

Ive long had the feeling that Tomlin is a divisive player. Mercurial on the pitch when he chooses and when things are going his way, but confrontational and disruptive behind the scenes and in the dressing room. It is noticeable that Taylor ( a player with a fraction of Tomlin's natural talent) had a much more positive impact on the team and results in the latter part of the season than Tomlin. In fact, we were a better team with Taylor and without Tomlin.

Of course Tomlin will set the world on fire at Cardiff, because thems the rules, but Ive a sneaky feeling that our team will be better for Tomlin being in Cardiff.

LJ did get it wrong. He signed Tomlin, failed to get the best out of him and sold him. Who else is at fault.

21 minutes ago, glos old boy said:

what like a 30yr old defender and a sengalise striker who have never played in this div before ? I think Sweden have got some good strikers like the one we bought and plays over there, maybe try for another one of them; desperation just like his dad who brought players in from all over...to no avail.

Well the 30yo Italian comes in to what most consider was our weakest position last season. AS you know along with our young uns a bit of experience is required.

As for the Sengalise striker you know your having a laugh. Not played in this division before? What the ****!!!

He must be crap as he's never played in the second division of English football.

Anyway before this chap has set a foot on the pitch playing for the City you have decided he's a waste of money.

Think most fans are up for him coming and might give him at least half a game before singing (what a waste of money)

Glos you must be old,just like me seen it all bla,bla,bla.

Don't worry yourself well get there in the end!!!!!

16 minutes ago, redandy1 said:

LJ did get it wrong. He signed Tomlin, failed to get the best out of him and sold him. Who else is at fault.

Tomlin himself perhaps?

Stockhausen tweeting that the players won't miss him, Not one player has tweeted congrats on the move, or good luck ... is that a sign he wasn't well liked ....

also Timman posting that the club always comes first (liked by Jon Lansdown).. all points towards him being a dick, and the team and club will be a happier one without him here 

36 minutes ago, samo II said:

Certainly not having a pop, but I honestly think Bryan being made to play full back is improving neither him nor the team - for every half decent performance there, he had two-to-three outright bad ones - for me, he doesn't have the mindset for that role, as good a left sided wingback (a distinctly differ position before it's mentioned) or winger.  Would even say he has played better in the centre that at full back.

If he were to move clubs (a possibility; am sure he has admirers) I don't think it would be as a full back.

Realise it is a side point, but it scares me how people now accept that position is 'sorted' because we've got Joe - I honestly think we need another left back, and maybe right back too, in case the new Italian lad isn't all that (unless Moore/Vyner will be used, which is possible).

For all the forward/Tomlin chat, I think the real problem is still that we haven't got a clear first choice unit at the back I trust; we did alright scoring without Tomlin (Paterson is as good as him, for me) and while faith may be required to believe the new lad can replace Tammy, I'm willing to say we've done okay recruiting a decent point-of-the-spear striker each of the last two years.

However, while I think we've got some okay forward options, I think we are a little relaxed about a defensive unit that really didn't do all that well for a lot of last year; personally, I'd love a couple of decent new full backs to counter that.

Well I think joe is getting better. More good then bad games to finish the season. Really his first season as a championship LB. Actually he probably has less than 46 games at LB in his championship career. I'm willing to see if he adapts

I've played football for years obviously at a much lower level than LT, but I no one thing if you get one player in the starting 11 who thinks he's the bees knees, don't work hard, throws his toys out, don't respect the players gives the manager shit etc you don't want them in the team you'd rather have some one with less ability but runs his nuts off for the team, good riddance to a bad egg I say. That being said we need to sign some with ability but the with right attitude 

1 hour ago, kevthered said:

He then went on to have his best game of the season on TV to Huddersfield, no cameras at the next game so returned to be being crap and dropped again ....There's a surprise

Was he really that good against Huddersfield.  Decent enough, but not MOTM that night.  Gonna go back and find my ratings.

14 minutes ago, GILLI said:

Stockhausen tweeting that the players won't miss him, Not one player has tweeted congrats on the move, or good luck ... is that a sign he wasn't well liked ....

also Timman posting that the club always comes first (liked by Jon Lansdown).. all points towards him being a dick, and the team and club will be a happier one without him here 

Tammy has :yawn:

But agree with your sentiments 

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Was he really that good against Huddersfield.  Decent enough, but not MOTM that night.  Gonna go back and find my ratings.

He gave the ball away more than any other player, Dave - watched the game back a couple of times (Trying to work out why we were better that night) scored but nowhere near our best player on night 

10 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

Well I think joe is getting better. More good then bad games to finish the season. Really his first season as a championship LB. Actually he probably has less than 46 games at LB in his championship career. I'm willing to see if he adapts

Think he'd be happy to move on personally 

15 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

He gave the ball away more than any other player, Dave - watched the game back a couple of times (Trying to work out why we were better that night) scored but nowhere near our best player on night 

Agree, far from our best player that night. 

However, during his loan spell scored one of the most memorable goals I've witnessed at AG - the Huddersfield game, and one of the most important and celebrated - Fulham away. 

For those two goals, thank you Lee.

For the chaos caused last season, given it looks like we're stuck with LJ, best you left and happy we seem to have recouped most of the costs.

Hope you don't prove me right that an experienced man-manager can get the best out of you.

34 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Think he'd be happy to move on personally 

Could be. I don't know individuals situations. I do rate him as a LB though but in the right team. Rate him as a CM as well but doubt he'll get a look in there anymore. 

1 hour ago, samo II said:

Bryans best performance in a city shirt was villa home, played centre mid. Brilliant. Maybe he could play that tomlin hole?? Just a thought, could be completely off piste. 

9 hours ago, simon uk said:

Yeah, plus the bournemouth and middlesborough ones, plus paid up contracts to leave. The guy is a charlatan, and a con artist.

I prefer flawed genius.  

Sad to see him go, but he had his chance and best for all concerned.

3 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Told the same from within the squad - Players and staff were gobsmacked

You've 1 upped my ITK knowledge there. Huddersfield player told me so I don't know much about the fallout. 

I think the team have a pretty decent morale/bond and with Tomlin gone you'd hope it'll get better. I know you're not LJ's number one fan but you gotta admit Tomlin put him in a pretty awkward position. 

21 minutes ago, Shtanley said:

You've 1 upped my ITK knowledge there. Huddersfield player told me so I don't know much about the fallout. 

I think the team have a pretty decent morale/bond and with Tomlin gone you'd hope it'll get better.

I know you're not LJ's number one fan but you gotta admit Tomlin put him in a pretty awkward position. 

Totally

Zero excuse for Tomlin if this incident occurred 

A complete no no at any level of football , and as I understand it , as you , allegedly Tomlin threw a hissy fit, as LJ was (Rightly) getting at him for not tracking back (Shock)

He would have been finished there and then if I was LJ , and gone in January (Tho we may have tried to) but then there are the finances involved so not so easy 

Ive openly backed LJ in this scenario all along about this alleged incident 

My deeper concern is was a public and open lack of respect for our Head Coach and was an extreme example of lack of respect , which I fear might have been the score with more than Tomlin

Others may / may have felt similar but expressed their views in a less public arena and in a more restrained way , and some not at all , but that lack of respect seems to be a a bit of a theme , especially with more experienced players

However there is one obvious exception ? -   In Wilbs ?     who , like many , I respect greatly ,and at worst seems to keep his head down , or is possibly more respectful of LJ and his methods / coaching , which I hang onto as a positive sign ;)

As others have said - I think the Squad ambience , and the general environment for LJ will be better with Tomlin gone

LT has form for charming clubs by losing weight http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2951540/Lee-Tomlin-two-stone-overweight-Middlesbrough-star-devour-Arsenal.html

So in summary I think...

Most city fans are glad he's gone. 

Tomlin allegedly offered to "knock LJ out". All who overheard were gobsmacked.

Tomlin allegedly has been teaching the nanny how to play hide the sausage.

Only Tammy, Đurić and Famara have sent good luck messages to him on Insta.

Staff are allegedly glad to see the back of him as well as 98% of the squad...

Has that covered it?

1 minute ago, Septic Peg said:

LT has form for charming clubs by losing weight http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2951540/Lee-Tomlin-two-stone-overweight-Middlesbrough-star-devour-Arsenal.html

So in summary I think...

Most city fans are glad he's gone. 

Tomlin allegedly offered to "knock LJ out". All who overheard were gobsmacked.

Tomlin allegedly has been teaching the nanny how to play hide the sausage.

Only Tammy, Đurić and Famara have sent good luck messages to him on Insta.

Staff are allegedly glad to see the back of him as well as 98% of the squad...

Has that covered it?

In view of all of that I hope Cardiff haven't got him on a sale or return basis.

22 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Totally

Zero excuse for Tomlin if this incident occurred 

A complete no no at any level of football , and as I understand it , as you , allegedly Tomlin threw a hissy fit, as LJ was (Rightly) getting at him for not tracking back (Shock)

He would have been finished there and then if I was LJ , and gone in January (Tho we may have tried to) but then there are the finances involved so not so easy 

Ive openly backed LJ in this scenario all along about this alleged incident 

My deeper concern is was a public and open lack of respect for our Head Coach and was an extreme example of lack of respect , which I fear might have been the score with more than Tomlin

Others may / may have felt similar but expressed their views in a less public arena and in a more restrained way , and some not at all , but that lack of respect seems to be a a bit of a theme , especially with more experienced players

However there is one obvious exception ? -   In Wilbs ?     who , like many , I respect greatly ,and at worst seems to keep his head down , or is possibly more respectful of LJ and his methods / coaching , which I hang onto as a positive sign ;)

As others have said - I think the Squad ambience , and the general environment for LJ will be better with Tomlin gone

Which is why with the odd exception, Johnson may only bring in younger, less challenging (of him) type players.  I don't have a problem with that.  I think he's learned the hard way with Tomlin.

Like you, I've been massively critical of LJ, and he's still to win me over, but I think he has a better chance of that now he's got rid of Tomlin.

I think it will be our best deal of the summer.

Wonder if O'Neil will play more of a part now LT has gone :whistle:

Archived