IGNORED

At what level have you played football?

myol'man

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

I got home and wore them in a warm bath because they shrank with blue dye going everywhere. Then I wore them around until they dried. 

Mum thought I was nuts and made me go outdoors......no idea why..............

I did the same with my first pair of Levi's

A bit of crap Sunday pub league stuff for me and I played for Downend as a youngster but, after going to St Brendans College, it was always going to be egg chasing for me. Played at a decent level, Bristol schools, South west counties colts but was a dreadful footballer. I was so bad that, after recuperating from a knee op years ago, I used to train with my neighbours football side. They were short for one pre season game so I made up the numbers. I was so bad they took me off and played with 10. I was told I even run like a rugby player! :facepalm:

30 minutes ago, Red Grovesy said:

Only ever played Sunday football in and around WsM but did once turn out for my brothers team (Trust House Forte) in Torquay. The game was reffed by Lester Shapter. That's the closest I got to footballing stardom! 

Jumpers for goalposts  ... and, erm, ....jockeys for referees?  :blink: 

(:cool2: dammit, thought you'd said Piggott, its these bloody glasses! )

3 hours ago, myol'man said:

A question has been asked in another thread by one poster to another

" Have you played football at any level? 

So my question to you all is " Have you played football at any level? If so, which?"

For myself, I had a couple of seasons in Somerset County League, but mostly Sunday League pub teams.

*nb*  Dolly is excused from this question :whistle:

played in goal for Farningham home for little boys and got a smack round the ear hole if i let a goal in!!Soon got punchy as i wasnt much good!!But they were Happy Days!!!

I played for my Primary School team in my last year of Primary school (1984/85) and I was ******* shit.

In one game I was brought on with another lad for the last 10 minutes in a 'give the spackers a run out cause they bothered to turn up' move by the teacher and the team Captain actually protested the substitution with the teacher. That did wonders for my confidence.

In my last ever game I came on as a sub and was playing at the back against our local and bitter rivals. The ball bobbled loose and rolled past me towards goal. I left it and yelled out 'keepers'. The keeper who wasn't paying attention promptly watched the ball roll past him and into the net. Apparently that was my fault. I was subbed off and never played for another team apart from kick abouts, again.

56 minutes ago, Red Grovesy said:

Only ever played Sunday football in and around WsM but did once turn out for my brothers team (Trust House Forte) in Torquay. The game was reffed by Lester Shapter. That's the closest I got to footballing stardom! 

For footballing claim to fame , I once scored against Rob Green when he was at Norwich.

I'm sure it still gives him nightmares. 

:yes:

56 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

A bit of crap Sunday pub league stuff for me and I played for Downend as a youngster but, after going to St Brendans College, it was always going to be egg chasing for me. Played at a decent level, Bristol schools, South west counties colts but was a dreadful footballer. I was so bad that, after recuperating from a knee op years ago, I used to train with my neighbours football side. They were short for one pre season game so I made up the numbers. I was so bad they took me off and played with 10. I was told I even run like a rugby player! :facepalm:

Also a St Brendans Product, so Rugby was also going to be the sport I was most coached in. Played for SW Schools, but other than that, I played for a few games for my local club in the Bath and District League before injuring my knee in a freak collision. The Rugby boys were less than impressed when I had to explain that the surgeon at the RUH banned me from all physical contact sport... for life

2 hours ago, Eddie Hitler said:

I once played against a team that had a player who had played in the same team as Sergei Rebrov.

Yes, that extremely remote claim to fame is as good as I got!

I think I can top you "remote claim to fame"

My Dads cousin is married to the guy who once was Finlands second choice goalkeeper (behind Jussi Jaaskalinen, though he did make 15ish international appearences)

2 hours ago, CliftonCliff said:

Interesting. I'm an old man now, but played for Old Cots as a lad (late 1960s) and again in my thirties (late 1970s), in between which periods I was away from Bristol for reasons of education and/or professional training. Some ex-players from my era remained involved with the club after hanging up their boots. We probably both know, or rather knew, a few of those guys. I was never particularly good, but enjoyed it, even if it wasn't the highest of standards in those days. 

Nice to hear from another Old Cot, Cliff. I guess you'd have known &/or played with John Bishop (Bish) who sadly passed away a month or two ago I'm sad to say. Cots were very well represented at the funeral with Eulogies from both Bryan Bullock and Andy Kavanagh who you may know. In my playing days Bryan was (I think) Club Secretary and Kavs was at the tail end of his playing career, although he is still with the club as Chairman. Some great memories from those days. 

Full career (to date) 

21st Gladstone Cubs // Wansdyke Primary School // Fair Furlong Boys // Bristol Grammar School 2nd XI // Old Cots // Mail Coach

Lots of 5aside too since packing up the proper stuff. Such good memories of playing including beating Millfield with BGS and back-to-back promotion seasons on the Downs with Cots, great times up there on and off the pitch with some great lads. 

Nowadays it's called banter but the dressing room attitude is something hard to replicate unless you've played a team sport I think  

2 hours ago, pongo88 said:

I played at a high level and low level in the same match. First half high level, second half low level. I was a flying winger (artistic license) and once played on a pitch  which had an amazing slope from side to side. Taking a corner from the high side merely required kicking the ball horizontally to make it reach the penalty area at crossbar level. A corner from the low side was an impossibility  

Lockleaze slopes?  

Apart from a couple of forrays to the Regional and Church leagues, my time was spent with one club, playing in every division (First, reserves and A teams) of the good old Suburban League.  Then all the youngsters started getting a bit too gobby, and it wasn't fun any more. 

Apparently I played a few games for the Sundays....but for some reason those memories seem a bit hazy!   Although I do remember Stoney reffing us once, apart from his usual continuous crap jokes....he wasn't half bad!

My team?     Broad Plain House.

@Big Red Rich you continue to go through rubbishing my posts, regardless of what they are, whatever the topic is.

Considering you are an admin I think the fact you seem to have such a vendetta against me, for a never explained reason (I have called you out on your childishness in the past, without any response) is poor on your part.

You seem to have an issue with me and are set on giving me a negative rep any chance you can (not overly fussed about rep- just pointing out you are doing the exact thing people had concerns about when ideas of being able to give negative rep were suggested).

By all means give a post of mine a 'snake' or 'rubbish' if warranted, that I have no issue with.

The difference between you and just about every one else on the forum is that you lack the testicular fortitude to ever actually say anything in response to my posts or challenge any point made. 

The fact you have singled out a post of mine for a 'rubbish' when it is no different to any other on this thread is a bit of a giveaway about your "anti whatever JamesBCFC posts" agenda.

So, not for the first time, I ask you.

What is your problem with me?

Of course I dont actually expect a response, I never get one from you when I call you out. 

I'm sure you'll 'rubbish' this like you did the last time I called you out, and just like last time an answer won't be forthcoming.

10 minutes ago, 42nite said:

Lockleaze slopes?  

Apart from a couple of forrays to the Regional and Church leagues, my time was spent with one club, playing in every division (First, reserves and A teams) of the good old Suburban League.  Then all the youngsters started getting a bit too gobby, and it wasn't fun any more. 

Apparently I played a few games for the Sundays....but for some reason those memories seem a bit hazy!   Although I do remember Stoney reffing us once, apart from his usual continuous crap jokes....he wasn't half bad!

My team?     Broad Plain House.

Lockleaze - correct. You win the £1,000,000 prize. Just send me your bank details, PIN and password and I'll transfer the money

Somerset Senior Football League Division One. 1 game for Avon Police won 1- 0 had about 5 touches played simple passes otherwise  was a complete passenger probably why I was never asked to play again.

sadly don't remember who the opposition was.

2 hours ago, JamesBCFC said:

@Big Red Rich you continue to go through rubbishing my posts, regardless of what they are, whatever the topic is.

Considering you are an admin I think the fact you seem to have such a vendetta against me, for a never explained reason (I have called you out on your childishness in the past, without any response) is poor on your part.

You seem to have an issue with me and are set on giving me a negative rep any chance you can (not overly fussed about rep- just pointing out you are doing the exact thing people had concerns about when ideas of being able to give negative rep were suggested).

By all means give a post of mine a 'snake' or 'rubbish' if warranted, that I have no issue with.

The difference between you and just about every one else on the forum is that you lack the testicular fortitude to ever actually say anything in response to my posts or challenge any point made. 

The fact you have singled out a post of mine for a 'rubbish' when it is no different to any other on this thread is a bit of a giveaway about your "anti whatever JamesBCFC posts" agenda.

So, not for the first time, I ask you.

What is your problem with me?

Of course I dont actually expect a response, I never get one from you when I call you out. 

I'm sure you'll 'rubbish' this like you did the last time I called you out, and just like last time an answer won't be forthcoming.

Chill mate, I'm only winding you up! No need to take life so seriously. Genuinly no vendetta, we have different views on city, no crime! Don't get ya knickers in a twist!!!! :thumbsup:

Archived