IGNORED

Hillsborough

Vincent Vega

I'm ashamed to admit that I believed the police/media lies for many years. Watching this programme now is devastating

The families affected by this tragedy have waited too long for the true sequence of events to accepted by the rest of society. Just heart-breaking to see them reliving that terrible day.

I hope Liverpool win the UEFA League Cup to honour the memories of the 96 who died.

7 minutes ago, Xiled said:

I'm ashamed to admit that I believed the police/media lies for many years. Watching this programme now is devasting.

The families affected by this tragedy have waited too long for the true sequence of events to accepted by the rest of society. Just heart-breaking to see them reliving that terrible day.

I hope Liverpool win the UEFA League Cup to honour the memories of the 96 who died.

You're not alone mate.

I'm really torn whether to watch this or not. I remember the day clearly (was at Ashton Gate when the news filtered through, don't forget no mobile phones etc back then) and as a football fan took a big interest in the news for the weeks, months, years and decades since. I feel I SHOULD watch this out of respect for the 96, but don't think I really WANT to.

Watching it now on Iplayer. I remember listening to it on the radio at the time and then putting on grandstand and watching it unfold live. 

Scary thing for me is that in 1990 I was caught up in a crush at Trumpton when some idiot started tearing down advertising above the terrace, nothing like Hillsborough but still terrifying.

I hated the idea of all-seater stadiums at the time, I loved the terraces, but now I'm a little older and with a football mad son I'm glad he can watch football safely from a seat. What he's never known he'll never miss.

4 hours ago, 42nite said:

Don't know about you, but for me quite a lot.

Harrowing to watch.

What a job that professor did! 

Professor Phil Scraton.

Hugely impressive bloke, not only in his unstinting endeavours in exposing the 'sanitised' police statements, but every moment he was on the screen talking last night.

4 hours ago, RedM said:

I'm really torn whether to watch this or not. I remember the day clearly (was at Ashton Gate when the news filtered through, don't forget no mobile phones etc back then) and as a football fan took a big interest in the news for the weeks, months, years and decades since. I feel I SHOULD watch this out of respect for the 96, but don't think I really WANT to.

It was a really, really tough watch.  The inhumane treatment of the relatives who had to identify their deceased from Polaroids was absolutely shameful.  Hearing the first person accounts  has given me a better understanding of the establishment stitch-up that led to the vilification of Liverpool fans and families.  I cannot believe this took place in my lifetime (I was 18 when it happened) and in my country.  It could have been any English club on that day.

I really would urge you to watch it @RedM.  I think the final 10 minutes were a fitting tribute to the people who fought so hard for justice.  Ordinary people who lost their partners and children and were then somehow labelled as the bad guys.

11 hours ago, Dollymarie said:

I recorded it to watch. Is it a different programme to the Jimmy McGovern one done years back? Not that it makes any difference, just wondered. 

Watch it, it's very different to the McGovern drama. 

The more that watch it the more the truth gets out. 

Be prepared though @Dollymarie for a disturbing, emotional watch. 

6 hours ago, RedM said:

It certainly needs to be watched by as many people as possible.

I'm also glad you remember being at Ashton Gate as the news came through, I was sure I was there on that day as well, but over the years I'd thought I must have imagined it because the Hillsborough game was on a Sunday wasn't it?

Just now, richwwtk said:

It certainly needs to be watched by as many people as possible.

I'm also glad you remember being at Ashton Gate as the news came through, I was sure I was there on that day as well, but over the years I'd thought I must have imagined it because the Hillsborough game was on a Sunday wasn't it?

It was a Saturday. City lost 1-2 to blackpool

Was a really hard but worthwhile watch, I remember at the time reading and listening to reports blaming the supporters and believing it, really shameful and something you would believe happens in other corrupt countries but really don't expect in ours, maybe that was me just being totally naive but I'm sure that there were many more like me, just glad that they finally got the justice they so deserve although it has took way to long, now IMHO they should go after the perpetrators of the myths and hope even further justice is handed out. 

Archived