IGNORED

Eliasson Signs!

ChilternRed

1 hour ago, Grey Fox said:

Do we really need more players? Seems to me we have plenty of options in all positions, especially midfield where it's a real head scratcher as to who are our top 4 or 5.

Personally am pleased we have a new right back and striker, they were the obvious needs, and think the squad of last season contains what we need providing LJ can decide on our core formation and preferred starters and not keep chopping and changing every 5 minutes.

We may have options but not much good if they aren't good ones....

1 hour ago, Monkeh said:

the window is open until the end of august, currently the squad is no weaker then the one that finished the season strongly,

It is open until EO August. But the squad not being weaker depends on whether we have replaced Tammy's goals and our new RB shapes up. Yes the squad have a year under their belt, but whether we are stronger as a squad or not remains to be seen. Let's hope so.

1 hour ago, Monkeh said:

in hindsight no he wasn't, as he couldn't be bothered, but I'll give you that,as for keepers we started with Fielding and O'Donnell, we start this season with Fielding and O'Leary/Lucic bother as good as o'donnell, Upfront we started with Tammy (complete unknown) and Kodja (who didn't score), now we have Diedhiou and by the looks of it reid, as I said we are no worse off at this moment in time, and thats assuming no one comes in between now and next saturday,

We have the added benifit of the unknown youngsters being another year older with a lot more experience under their belts 

O'Donnell started the season as quoted on here "one of our best ever buys" but lost form and confidence which pretty much mirrored our downturn. I like OLeary a lot. Young, but personally I think Lukic is poor. He made one penalty save where he basically invited the forward to hit it into one area, but he gives me the screaming abdabs. Yes he can improve but neither Fielding Lukic or Oleary give us the confidence going into the season that ODonell did going into last

We started last season with Kodjia and Tammy, we start this season with Diedhiou and a yet to be defined (but looks like Reid). I know which paring I would have, but hope springs eternal. Particularly if you're Young Bobby Reid. 

In hindsight we look a million miles worse off than the beginning of last season and whether we are no worse off than the end is extremely arguable. Another forward or Engval who LJ said on signing (it's out there if anyone can be bothered to look) he should adjust to the Championship quickly. The fact he is not even mentioned before Reid Wilbo Hinds and McCoulskey suggests he has a lot to do or be sold to make some room

Anyway good luck to our boys. I have a good feeling about several of them. Brownhill and Patterson particularly. Hopefully Magnússon shows us something as Hegler needs to too. 

57 minutes ago, Rich_s said:

That's all well and good but how many players do we genuinely have that could compete in the top half of the league. It's not numbers we are short of it's quality.

I think we have a good 5-6 in our starting XI that would play for playoff type teams. Diedhiou would whether proven or not as 5.2m is expensive for anyone. After him, Flint, Pack, Brownhill, and Wright I think all would play for playoff teams if the fit was right but anyway I think we've got some solid players in the first XI enough to see us midtable. 

I agree about the quality over quantity though. Think we are fine but a quality winger, striker and GK would not go amiss. That said, I think we are looking for that as we haven't just signed anyone yet. I'm happy for them to take their time during this window. As has been said, business will be booming in August and some players will become available that aren't just yet. If it's end deadline day and no more have come in then I'd be a bit more worried but I think there is enough here for midtable. 

3 hours ago, Monkeh said:

the window is open until the end of august, currently the squad is no weaker then the one that finished the season strongly,

honestly as it stands i dont see enough goals in the side..minimum of a striker capable at this level from the off required, plus a right winger who can really cross a ball if I'm being greedy!

1 hour ago, JoeAman08 said:

I think we have a good 5-6 in our starting XI that would play for playoff type teams. Diedhiou would whether proven or not as 5.2m is expensive for anyone. After him, Flint, Pack, Brownhill, and Wright I think all would play for playoff teams if the fit was right but anyway I think we've got some solid players in the first XI enough to see us midtable. 

I agree about the quality over quantity though. Think we are fine but a quality winger, striker and GK would not go amiss. That said, I think we are looking for that as we haven't just signed anyone yet. I'm happy for them to take their time during this window. As has been said, business will be booming in August and some players will become available that aren't just yet. If it's end deadline day and no more have come in then I'd be a bit more worried but I think there is enough here for midtable. 

100% agree with you there. I think we're in for a bit of a boring season with not ever really troubling the playoffs and not hovering around the relegation battle. After the last 2 seasons, I'm FINE with boring.

Just now, MyBrotherErnie said:

His current team have signed his replacement but no news about where he's going

Didn't know they'd signed his replacement! Sorry, trying not too read this type of thread too much as I hate getting all built up and excited only for the player to sign with someone else.

12 minutes ago, Sturny said:

Soooo has there been any movement on this since hearing Lyon were interested? 

No, nothing we know here in Sweden. At Norrköping forum they only say he is probably off. It was at their forum someone said Lyon people were in Norrköping. He saw it on instagram, dont know, rumours?

1 hour ago, Johnr1986 said:

Weaker in the fact that Tammy and Tomlin have both left, so combined that's 30 goals gone and plus Tomlin assists together with freeman going in Jan with his delivery from set pieces was a useful  asset in our squad, so I'm my opinion as things stand we are weaker than at the start of last season no point in hiding from the fact we need to get some quality in urgently. !

When did turning our attacking situations (corners) into giving the opposition possession for no reason (throw ins, goal kicks) become a valuable asset?

Bar the Ipswich win just after LJ was appointed, Freemans delivery was little better than abysmal.

No ones mentioned it ,........... ahhhhh yes because , to many , he (Little) was 'completely useless ' (So simple to improve on)

(Personally I thought ,some  limitations aside ,he was unappreciated / valued - at leat you knew you were going to get - running , aggression, physicality and %100 commitment)

but let's see if we have upgraded on a right back

Everyone assuming we have

We may have , we may not 

People saying how we are stronger / at least as strong as last season

* No longer have Tomlin as an option (Tho he wouldn't have been considered an option for me personally for the second half of last season) so let's put him down as no loss

So, as it stands

* Famara has to match up to the loss of TA

* Our new Italian has to be as good or better than Little

And that's just to be the same as the squad who performed, or not ,last year and not allowing for any departures

lots of people stating as a fact that the younger players will be better this year after another years experience'

Entirely Possible , but certainly no guarantee 

Personally the question is   as it stands , are we better / stronger than a squad who avoided relegation with a surprise win at Brighton

Not convinced personally

I would expect and certainly hope that we will strengthen before the end of August and the picture will be clearer in a number of respects by then

3 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

No ones mentioned it ,........... ahhhhh yes because , to many , he (Little) was 'completely useless ' (So simple to improve on)

but let's see if we have upgraded on a right back

Everyone assuming we have

We may have , we may not 

People saying how we are stronger / at least as strong as last season

* No longer have Tomlin as an option (Tho he wouldn't have been considered an option for me personally for the second half of last season) so let's put him down as no loss

So, as it stands

* Famara has to match up to the loss of TA

* Our new Italian has to be as good or better than Little

And that's just to be the same as the squad who performed, or not ,last year and not allowing for any departures

lots of people stating as a fact that the younger players will be better this year after another years experience'

Entirely Possible , but certainly no guarantee 

Personally the question is   as it stands , are we better / stronger than a squad who avoided relegation with a surprise win at Brighton

Not convinced personally

I would expect and certainly hope that we will strengthen before the end of August and the picture will be clearer in a number of respects by then

I've not stated it but I'm in the camp that we are at least as good as last year. Or I've stated it but it's most definitely an opinion. I'm more worried about our new signings adapting than our young players being better though. Think Brownhill and O'Dowda can really make an impact this year. Diedhiou is the big one though. Needs to get into the teens goals wise for us to have a chance. Anything more than 15 goals and it'll justify the price imo. It's nervy but I didnt want to go all summer dreading the start of the season. Got 9 months of fretting ahead. Also, if Pisano doesn't work out I'm all for Vyner getting a go. Think he could be a top RB. I know he's a CB but his movement is so fluid I think he'd be suited to RB to deal with wingers. 

12 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

I've not stated it but I'm in the camp that we are at least as good as last year. Or I've stated it but it's most definitely an opinion. I'm more worried about our new signings adapting than our young players being better though. Think Brownhill and O'Dowda can really make an impact this year. Diedhiou is the big one though. Needs to get into the teens goals wise for us to have a chance. Anything more than 15 goals and it'll justify the price imo. It's nervy but I didnt want to go all summer dreading the start of the season. Got 9 months of fretting ahead. Also, if Pisano doesn't work out I'm all for Vyner getting a go. Think he could be a top RB. I know he's a CB but his movement is so fluid I think he'd be suited to RB to deal with wingers. 

Totally agree that if there are ones to kick on I'd be thinking COD and Brownhill (Just wonder whether Brownhill can retain consistency over a long season and can see him being out the side at times)

Pisano is a interesting benchmark for me - if he's a clear upgrade at right back , will be pleased and hope it's a sign we can / have possibly  improved our recruitment

if he's a failure , after believing we needed to get a right back for 18 months (And that time to scout and identify the right targets)  , then that would take some explaining away

(Personally I still think it appears a 'strangeish' signing - maybe he's expected to bring us something in his game ,  we havnt got  , and can prove to be an astute signing)

Time will tell

Ive not seen enough of Vyner to have a strong opinion and I hope you're right , otherwise Korey will be in as an emergency right back

41 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Totally agree that if there are ones to kick on I'd be thinking COD and Brownhill (Just wonder whether Brownhill can retain consistency over a long season and can see him being out the side at times)

Pisano is a interesting benchmark for me - if he's a clear upgrade at right back , will be pleased and hope it's a sign we can / have possibly  improved our recruitment

if he's a failure , after believing we needed to get a right back for 18 months (And that time to scout and identify the right targets)  , then that would take some explaining away

(Personally I still think it appears a 'strangeish' signing - maybe he's expected to bring us something in his game ,  we havnt got  , and can prove to be an astute signing)

Time will tell

Ive not seen enough of Vyner to have a strong opinion and I hope you're right , otherwise Korey will be in as an emergency right back

I've only seen highlights and heard stories about EP. From what I've seen he's got qualities in the box knocking balls down from set pieces. Also he seems to want to cross and first time crosses at that which would be a big advantage with Diedhiou and Milan when fit. I've heard he's got dreadful touch though and I've not seen him defend. Hopefully Friday evening will tell us all a bit more. 

4 hours ago, Johnr1986 said:

Currently our squad is considerably weaker than it was at the start of last season, IMO we need another forward, a replacement for Tomlin, a out and out winger, and in s ideal world a new number one, and a midfield general, to replace O'Neil as not convinced by hegler at all so that 3 musts and 2 which would improve the the starting 11 .  

I seriously believe we are in a much stronger position than last season, The younger and foreign players like O Dowda, Brownhill, Taylor Moore, Magnus son, Đurić and Hegeler would of benefitted massively from having a championship season under their belts. Tomlin, Freeman on last season's performances are no great loss, the only negative is the loss of Tammy but hopefully Diedhiou will help In that respect and Pisano is an upgrade at RB. 

10 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

I've only seen highlights and heard stories about EP. From what I've seen he's got qualities in the box knocking balls down from set pieces. Also he seems to want to cross and first time crosses at that which would be a big advantage with Diedhiou and Milan when fit. I've heard he's got dreadful touch though and I've not seen him defend. Hopefully Friday evening will tell us all a bit more. 

Don't think that's enough to say conclusively. Against Brighton the season before last he was so out of his depth it was obvious he wasn't ready (I appreciate he had barely any exposure to men's football at that point).

I'd rather see Taylor Moore as backup right back/centre back and Vyner go on loan personally. Moore has more experience of senior football and a French speaker in the matchday squad could be really useful.

3 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Don't think that's enough to say conclusively. Against Brighton the season before last he was so out of his depth it was obvious he wasn't ready (I appreciate he had barely any exposure to men's football at that point).

I'd rather see Taylor Moore as backup right back/centre back and Vyner go on loan personally. Moore has more experience of senior football and a French speaker in the matchday squad could be really useful.

Think you've had a mare there mate ;)

Think Joe was talking about  Pisano rather than Vyner

For me much will depend on how Brownhill and Pato go next season. Last 7 / 8 games when we turned it around these two were very, very good. Offensively they caused the opposition real problems and they both worked hard to ensure we had good shape when out of possession. If they maintain that into next season and Famara is half the player Tammy was we will be laughing. If they go off the face of the earth again then we will struggle as im not sure what plan B will be going forward, if we have one at all.

2 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Oh yeah I think you are right! Was thinking that's an awful lot of confidence in Vyner!

As I've said I need to see more of Vyner before making a decent assessment - My slight concern is making the break into this level of football , in an unfamiliar position is a big ask of a young player

this isn't Sunday Foitball where you hide your worst player at full back :laughcont: modern day full backs are in a demanding physical and technical role , where understanding of the complete role is vital , and are pivotal in the modern game

So again - a big ask for a young un

Bit dissapointed we didn't go for some real quality in this position but let's see what the Italian Stallion can do ;)

Archived