IGNORED

The official Bristol City FC v Aston Villa FC match day thread

Septic Peg

Good morning folks!

@havanatopia slid in to my DMs again this morning as he will be currently climbing a mountain somewhere in South East Asia! I'm not even joking, that's what he told me... so please send lots of good luck to Hav as he clambers up the dirt track to the summit...

So I'm on the Villa thread. Eyes down, here we go...

Aston Villa is situated in Aston, a suburb of Berrrminnnghum. Aston itself was home to industries, most famously Ansell's brewery and HP sau.ce. Ansell's was started in the early 1900s but merged with Tetley's bitter in the 60s and all production ceased in Aston in the early 80s. However, like a rising Phoenix, a microbrewery was started shortly after this closure by the disgruntled employees and Aston Manor Brewery still produces Cider to this day. It was managed by Peter Ellis, son of Villa legend Doug (more on him later)...

HP sau.ce was originally created in Nottingham but it was a Brummie who mass produced it under the Midlands Vinegar Company. It was produced in Aston all the way up to 2007 when Heinz (the now owner of HP foods) ceased production and moved the factory to Holland alongside its other condiment production...

Fun fact: Did you know that all 4 original members of Black Sabbath were born in Aston? Tis true, Ozzy used to pound the pavements in and around Villa Park as a nipper...

Back to Doug Ellis, the ex chairman of Villa whom has a stand at Villa Park named after him. 

Doug is a controversial figure and many Villans see him in different lights. Some say, he was a responsible for the build and refurb at Villa Park and he rescued the club from financial pressure when he returned as chairman for his second stint. Others say he was responsible for the decline in the mid 80s... He was also famous for being known as 'Deadly Doug', a nickname created by Jimmy Greaves, on account of Doug's reputation of sacking managers...

Villa Park is one of the most stunning stadiums in the country without a doubt. It has hosted not just football finals but also rugby and boxing matches. Even after redevelopment, it retains its traditional feel. It also has a stand that sits over a main road! Famous Villans include HRH the Duke of Cambridge and Ian Lavender aka Pike from Dad's Army (Pike's scarf was Villa colours).

On to tonight. Moneybags Kodj won't be gracing the Ashton Gate faithful as he has a baddy foot. Diddums. However, a fine rousing applause will be for Albert Adomah who is much loved and missed by the City crowd.

We turned over Watford in a surprising 3-2 win and Villa beat Wigan on the same night 4-1. I smell a draw for the sky cameras. 2-2.

Come on you reds

2 minutes ago, hoxton casual said:

Thanks SP.

Why are they called Aston "Villa". Anyone know? Are there any other teams with the sobriquet "Villa"?

Aston Villa Football Club were formed in March 1874, by members of the Villa Cross Wesleyan Chapel in Handsworth which is now part of Birmingham.

Villa Park is a stunning ground and Steve Bruce is under a lot of pressure.

Tonight at the gate will be hard wirh players on both sides triing to impress for the cameras, but Villa havent started well and have 3 key players out.

I think Joe Bryan may be a doubt for us, but I think he will be OK.

We always play better when on the telly and a big crowd under the lights will create a great atmosphere with the Atyeo sold out too.

Can't call this one, so going for a 1- 1 or 2- 2 draw.  Reid to score of course and will be intersting to see how our forwards can deal with John Terry.

6 minutes ago, Juan Kerr said:

Fun fact....Oldham Athletic were called Pine Villa. (I know, totally irrelevant to the thread!)

No, thanks.great facts. I love football factoids.

6 minutes ago, Juan Kerr said:

Aston Villa Football Club were formed in March 1874, by members of the Villa Cross Wesleyan Chapel in Handsworth which is now part of Birmingham

So they are Methodist team! I would expect no swearing from their lot tonight.

1-1 for me but we could sneek it if there is a good crowd and a cracking atmosphere. Also LJ picking the right team would help!

41 minutes ago, wendyredredrobin said:

Villa Park is a stunning ground and Steve Bruce is under a lot of pressure.

Tonight at the gate will be hard wirh players on both sides triing to impress for the cameras, but Villa havent started well and have 3 key players out.

I think Joe Bryan may be a doubt for us, but I think he will be OK.

We always play better when on the telly and a big crowd under the lights will create a great atmosphere with the Atyeo sold out too.

Can't call this one, so going for a 1- 1 or 2- 2 draw.  Reid to score of course and will be intersting to see how our forwards can deal with John Terry.

Looking forward to tonight. Villa have had a poor start to the season in the league. Could certainly be a good time to play them 

1 hour ago, Septic Peg said:

Good morning folks!

@havanatopia slid in to my DMs again this morning as he will be currently climbing a mountain somewhere in South East Asia! I'm not even joking, that's what he told me... so please send lots of good luck to Hav as he clambers up the dirt track to the summit...

Aston Villa is situated in Aston, a suburb of Berrrminnnghum. Aston itself was home to industries, most famously Ansell's brewery and HP sau.ce. Ansell's was started in the early 1900s but merged with Tetley's bitter in the 60s and all production ceased in Aston in the early 80s. However, like a rising Phoenix, a microbrewery was started shortly after this closure by the disgruntled employees and Aston Manor Brewery still produces Cider to this day. It was managed by Peter Ellis, son of Villa legend Doug (more on him later)...

HP sau.ce was originally created in Nottingham but it was a Brummie who mass produced it under the Midlands Vinegar Company. It was produced in Aston all the way up to 2007 when Heinz (the now owner of HP foods) ceased production and moved the factory to Holland alongside its other condiment production...

Fun fact: Did you know that all 4 original members of Black Sabbath were born in Aston? Tis true, Ozzy used to pound the pavements in and around Villa Park as a nipper...

Back to Doug Ellis, the ex chairman of Villa whom has a stand at Villa Park named after him. 

Doug is a controversial figure and many Villans see him in different lights. Some say, he was a responsible for the build and refurb at Villa Park and he rescued the club from financial pressure when he returned as chairman for his second stint. Others say he was responsible for the decline in the mid 80s... He was also famous for being known as 'Deadly Doug', a nickname created by Jimmy Greaves, on account of Doug's reputation of sacking managers...

Villa Park is one of the most stunning stadiums in the country without a doubt. It has hosted not just football finals but also rugby and boxing matches. Even after redevelopment, it retains its traditional feel. It also has a stand that sits over a main road! Famous Villans include HRH the Duke of Cambridge and Ian Lavender aka Pike from Dad's Army (Pike's scarf was Villa colours).

On to tonight. Moneybags Kodj won't be gracing the Ashton Gate faithful as he has a baddy foot. Diddums. However, a fine rousing applause will be for Albert Adomah who is much loved and missed by the City crowd.

We turned over Watford in a surprising 3-2 win and Villa beat Wigan on the same night 4-1. I smell a draw for the sky cameras. 2-2.

Come on you reds

Condensed Version

Villa

Hav is off scaling the heights of some young local filly while having his boondocks massaged.

1-0 City

15 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

I just want us to get into the next round..,

Mine's a pint then Major - thanks!

Sorry, I thought you said you just want to get the next round.

2 hours ago, Septic Peg said:

Good morning folks!

Come on you reds

My first game at ashton gate our mob v villa the third round of the F.A  Cup because of the rather chilly weather that was about in January 1963 the cup tie was moved from Saturday to the Wednesday evening standing on tip toe behind the railings in the East end City team that evening was=GK Ron Nicholls ,RB Alec Briggs, LB Dave Smith,RH Gordon Parr, CH Jack Connor, LH Bobby Etheridge, RW Alex Tait, IR Brian Clark, CF The King [no not Elvis] IL Shadow Williams, LR Janzen Derrick.drew 1-1  lost 3-2 in the replay 

One thing for sure, I'm glad that West Brom managed to sign Oliver Burke and not Aston Villa!

Allegedly, both WBA and Villa had bid £15m for him, with the former offering him around £35k a week, and Villa offering around £80k. Burke chose WBA, obviously because a switch to 2nd place in the Bundesliga to the Championship for a team that isn't past its decline is a bit of a drop.

From what I have heard from him, he's a top-quality player, but didn't fit RB Leipzig's high-pressing tactics, so he spent most of his time as a substitute.

2 hours ago, Septic Peg said:

Good morning folks!

Come on you reds

Hoping for a win in front of the Sky cameras tonight, think  If we do,  it will be by the odd goal.  BTW Peg, did you know classical punk violinist Nigel Kennedy is a Villa fan and used to appear on stage inc at the Albert Hall in a Villa shirt.   COYR's

Villa fan here. Just popped in to see what your thoughts are.

firstly...the nickname Deadly...it was given to Doug, as stated, by Jimmy Greaves, but it was after a fishing trip. Greves used to work at Central Tv doing sports punditry and also did a bit on the Friday news where he's have a sporting detail. On one occasion he went salmon fishing with Ellis. So taken was he with Ellis's quicj disposal of said fish he christened him, 'Deadly Doug'. the moniker stuck.

As for the game? God knows. Could go either way.

9 minutes ago, EnderMB said:

One thing for sure, I'm glad that West Brom managed to sign Oliver Burke and not Aston Villa!

Allegedly, both WBA and Villa had bid £15m for him, with the former offering him around £35k a week, and Villa offering around £80k. Burke chose WBA, obviously because a switch to 2nd place in the Bundesliga to the Championship for a team that isn't past its decline is a bit of a drop.

From what I have heard from him, he's a top-quality player, but didn't fit RB Leipzig's high-pressing tactics, so he spent most of his time as a substitute.

News to me. Tony Xia said on Twitter a week or so back that we wer eonly in for one more player - likely to be Snodgrass. Because of FFP we aren't in the market for 15m players as it would take us over the limit. So, this allegedly is to be taken with an enormous pinch of salt.

Archived