IGNORED

The official Bristol City FC v Aston Villa FC match day thread

Septic Peg

Looking at famous fans - my favourite is Pagliuca - ex Inter keeper. Refers to Villa as 'we' and is very knowledgable about the club. Said one of his best football moments was when he got to play at Villa Park when we played Inter. Gotta love him. well, I do.

One of my earliest memories of watching City was the cup game at home to Villa in the early 1980s. I think they were league champions at that time. I remember standing in the Enclosure with my dad. Lost 1-0 that game. 

Tonight is hard to predict. City are so inconsistent this season so far. Hopefully we'll get something from the game - a repeat of last season's win against them would be good. Our performance at their place was disappointing and I didn't enjoy visiting Villa Park as much as I thought I would - stuck in the corner of the top tier, crap concourse and then horrendous traffic and motorway closures on the way home.

1 minute ago, RichardEdd said:

It was a dare,  I was told to dress a a villa fan and it seemed like an essential accessory to me!:thumbsup:

be careful there's loads of other of other teams and don't stray to the dark side you will need extra fingers

Be interesting to see Fammy up against Terry, utilising his size and strength against him.

I can't stand the bloke but Terry is class for this league. However the players or the ref won't afford him the delicate protection he's used to in the Prem and in Europe. I'd love Fammy to bully him all match and create space for others. 

@peter w - how has Terry started for you? You've conceded 8 in 4 league games so far, with Terry playing in them all. Starting to settle or likely to ship another average of 2 tonight? 

18 minutes ago, deadredfred said:

Be interesting to see Fammy up against Terry, utilising his size and strength against him.

I can't stand the bloke but Terry is class for this league. However the players or the ref won't afford him the delicate protection he's used to in the Prem and in Europe. I'd love Fammy to bully him all match and create space for others.

@peter w - how has Terry started for you? You've conceded 8 in 4 league games so far, with Terry playing in them all. Starting to settle or likely to ship another average of 2 tonight?

Its left the centre pairing a little unbalanced. With baker and Chester Chester would cover as Baker tended to be the more aggressive in your face centre half, at the moment both Chester and Terry seem to drop off and wait for the other one to react first. I wouldn't be surprised to concede tonight as the whole team needs to settle.

24 minutes ago, deadredfred said:

I would see it completely the other way around, where JT is likely to get decisions go his way BECAUSE of his name and standing in the game. Referees will give him the benefit of the doubt because they know any controversial decision against him will come under the national spotlight. IMO. 

4 minutes ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

I don't know how reliable a way of predicting sales The ticket website is but by my maths there are only 640 tickets left on sale, 371 in the Dolman, 269 in the Lansdown and 0 in the South Stand!  

Im not sure what this means in terms of numbers, but must be close to 22k surely?

I was just about to do the same thing so thanks for allowing me to get on with my work.

How many do we usually get on the walk up for pay on the day? Presumably it won't be many seeing as it's on the telly.

20 minutes ago, peter w said:

Its left the centre pairing a little unbalanced. With baker and Chester Chester would cover as Baker tended to be the more aggressive in your face centre half, at the moment both Chester and Terry seem to drop off and wait for the other one to react first. I wouldn't be surprised to concede tonight as the whole team needs to settle.

I like the sound of that Baker. Exactly what we need at CB

Maybe but I'm not sad that he's gone. I liked him but he was constantly getting injured, always having to lunge in at tackles because of his poor touch, useless and the ball, and has a 50p head. We'd never go up with him in the team and I think that him being good enough to play for us had shown how far we've fallen recently. He'll no doubt score a couple tonight and as I understand it he was very good for you a couple of  seasons ago. Good luck to him, though, as I genuinely hope he becomes a player that I think could be in there somewhere. We just didn't see it enough - it seems you did.

5 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

I wonder if this bloke will be in the away end tonight?

aston-villa.png

That is the ultimate in stealth sticking. Bet it was the woman behind while the guy on the left sidetracked him with random conversation. Bet he literally felt a right cock after.

3 hours ago, GIBBO THE GREAT said:

My first game at ashton gate our mob v villa the third round of the F.A  Cup because of the rather chilly weather that was about in January 1963 the cup tie was moved from Saturday to the Wednesday evening standing on tip toe behind the railings in the East end City team that evening was=GK Ron Nicholls ,RB Alec Briggs, LB Dave Smith,RH Gordon Parr, CH Jack Connor, LH Bobby Etheridge, RW Alex Tait, IR Brian Clark, CF The King [no not Elvis] IL Shadow Williams, LR Janzen Derrick.drew 1-1  lost 3-2 in the replay 

Interesting. 

When I first started watching just a few years later, AB was LB with Tony Ford at RB. Do you recall whether AB playing at RB was just a one-off, or was this his regular position at the time? He was always a LB from the time I started watching.

@cidered abroad and others of his period might recall.

Archived