IGNORED

When to accept your 5m striker is misfiring?

Fordy62

4 minutes ago, EmersonsRed said:

Those days are long gone, for footballers and managers. Instant impact is needed nowadays, especially when this sort of fee was paid for him.

I think like Johnson last season he'll be given the necessary time and opportunity.  Whether he's up to the Championship we'll have to wait and see.  One thing I will say, his presence has considerably helped Bobby Reid.

2 minutes ago, Malago said:

I think like Johnson last season he'll be given the necessary time and opportunity.  Whether he's up to the Championship we'll have to wait and see.  One thing I will say, his presence has considerably helped Bobby Reid.

I agree with your first and second post, but the general consensus will be his time is up in a few games

I honestly reckon he'll be a much better player next season. It will take a while for him to prove himself but he's not scoring and as the only striker in the team, if you're not scoring you don't deserve to be playing, no matter the fee. Who do we replace him with though? Wolves away next and he's probably our best shot for a fixture like that, so imo I think LJ should stick with him for this month and hopefully he gets a goal that will boost his confidence and the rest will follow. 

I genuinely believe he'll be a hell of a player, just a case of when. Still only one month into playing in England, thought he was superb against Barnsley & Brum but has tailed off since. No doubt just the amount of games/pace of games is getting to him. 

Think by Xmas time he'll be there or there abouts and we'll have a real player on our hands.

47 minutes ago, Antman said:

i think we have yet to figure out how to play to his strengths.

39 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Question is - what are his strengths? 

For a solid guy he doesn't use is build and strength effectively enough. He's not a speedster either and ( as yet) doesn't seem to have a goal poachers sixth sense.

He's played six games and hasn't impressed so far but I doubt LJ will leave him out yet. He'll get 10 games I reckon by which time Taylor might be fit again, 

That said if he bags a goal or two on Tuesday all will be forgiven.

I've got to agree with @Robbored on this. He hasn't got any real speed, ball control, or natural finishing. For his size he doesn't win enough balls in the air. To me he seems like a Championship version of a Sunday morning pub team player - i e someone a bit past his prime, unfit, and suffering from too many pints the night before. 

Maybe it's time to give Woodrow a start let him put in about, then if the game dictates bring Famara on for the last 20?

I'm sure Woodrow must be busting a gut to show what h can do.

We sure seem to have a lot more depth to the squad this season. If Tammy was misfiring at all last season it seemed we had no other options, now we appear a lot stronger in most departments.

I reckon LJ will make 2 or 3 changes Tuesday with the side still looking strong.

With most players fit the bench is looking the strongest for years. It seems to me we have a real first team squad.

Let's hope LJ can keep them all happy.

40 minutes ago, EmersonsRed said:

Those days are long gone, for footballers and managers. Instant impact is needed nowadays, especially when this sort of fee was paid for him.

That's the sort of thing a pundit would say.  How much time he gets in reality depends entirely on who manages him.  In comparison to a lot of Championship sides, we are taking a longer term view.  I hope this will mean he comes good in time. 

52 minutes ago, EmersonsRed said:

it is the reality sadly. it is refreshing when a club do something different though - look at Vydra as a case in point. Tears it up big time for Watford, gets a big move to Derby where he misfires badly. Derby stick with him though and he`s the best player bar Tom Lawrence on the pitch v Hull last night.

2 minutes ago, Raging_Robin said:

He's never going to score 20 goals, but be does hold the ball up well and plays other people into the game. Sometimes that's what you need, however, £5.3m for that sort of player is a lot. 

I guess people will always wonder whether it was good VFM when we could've got someone like Clayton Donaldson for a lot less. Already experienced and proven, similar skill set and scores goals.

Granted, about 10 years age difference.. but considering he broke our record he'll always come under scrutiny.

Come on Diedhiou ... the Wolves are literally right on your doorstep right now, its time to perform by hitting the back of some nets,  do what you are supposed to be good at, because the natives will get restless and they'll be eating your porridge if you don't give us something to cheer...

Everyone is rooting for you, but you have to do it!   I don't wanna be saying 'see you next Tuesday' but that's exactly where you are at the moment... so when we see you next Tuesday lets see you make and take a few goals... you'll be dealing with Wolves in more ways than one.. so come on, we know you can do it!!  

3 hours ago, Fordy62 said:

Now, let me start by saying that I hope this thread goes down in fokelore alongside "Matt Smith is awful". I suppose part of me decided to write it at half time because I'm hoping it might come back to bite me on the arse. 

However, I'm into watching my third or forth game this season and I've seen Fammy do nothing. Nothing at all. It's almost like we're playing with ten. 

Now I know it's going to take time for him to adapt to the Chamionship, but we can't just keep playing with essentially 10 men. Someone else has got to have a go at starting. He isn't effecting the game at all. He's not doing the running that Taylor does, or being a big lump like Đurić (I do accept they're both injured!). 

So he big question is... a storming second half versus Reading aside, when will LJ have the balls to rest him?

by the way, I'm certainly not writing him off, merely suggesting he's earned the right to be dropped. 

funny you get 6 likes and a thanks, I got roundly slated by most on here for saying almost the same thing 2 weeks ago. 

2 hours ago, Luxo Jr. said:

If a player plays very well in another league and then struggles in a similar league, it doesn't mean the player is worse. There's a multitude of things that could be going wrong - he might not be settled yet, he might not be getting enough service, he might not have enough fitness yet, and still getting used to how to play against defenders in this league. To call him a waste of money now is downright stupid.

all right then up to now he has been a waste of money, and apart from scoring 1 goal has looked a donkey, not a great omen for a 5 million player.

Happy with the team, happy with the balance, happy with the squad cover and happy with the performances and results so far.

But Famara has no pace, wins little in the air, doesn't hold the ball up well,  doesn't look like scoring, loses the ball easily, passing a bit wayward and it does look like we have paid 10 times what he is worth.  Maybe he will come good, but I can see no signs of this.

However, the only way you will judge how much he is contributing is to drop or sub him.  It could be that he is creating space and chances by worrying drfences and making a general nuisance of himself. Ive not noticed the team improve when he has been subbed.

Definitely needs some stamina training though as he's only up to about 60 minutes.

2 hours ago, WayOutWest said:

Sorry Andy, completely disagree.  This is the first time, I think this squad looks comfortable at this level.

We have competition for all positions on the field, we have options on the bench. 

3 points, clean sheet and we look like we belong in this league.

Stevo

We won, and certain people will always look for the negatives in that particular scenario. 

In answer to the original question, you accept it from day one for maybe 10-12 games until you can say he's had a real chance to adapt and then you bring him out of the firing line for a while and give someone else a run.  As time goes on you should be able to expect more and more from him, you certainly don't give up.  I've not been impressed so far but it's still very early days.  If he can get used to the pace and physicality I think he can do well, he needs a much more assured touch but part of that is confidence.  Let's give him time.  He managed one in three in the French top division last time out, it's nothing to sniff at.

Archived