IGNORED

Stormy Weather Forecast for Leeds Match

Nogbad the Bad

16 minutes ago, phantom said:

Do you think we have never played in a gale before?

Tell me how many games have EVER been called off due to high winds!

Let's get a grip back on reality here 

February 2014 Man City and Everton both called off games due to high winds

1 minute ago, phantom said:

Do you think we have never played in a gale before?

Tell me how many games have EVER been called off due to high winds!

Let's get a grip back on reality here 

Games are called off far more easily these days for weather conditions, i.e.ice/snow than they were in the past. Not because of the pitch or even necessarily anything to do with the stadium but with the public's safety making their way to the ground in mind.

If it was felt the winds were likely to be strong enough and sustained enough to cause real damage, i.e. for the trees in the park to be in danger of coming down or for tiles on houses on Ashton Road to be ripped off and blown into a street with hundreds of fans on their way to or from the game, it's quite possible they'd err on the side of caution.

As for tomorrow's forecasted gale causing a postponement, very unlikely, but the way things are these days nothing can be entirely ruled out imo.

• Admin
27 minutes ago, Big C said:

February 2014 Man City and Everton both called off games due to high winds

@Big C I stand corrected

Wet and windy conditions at Manchester City's Etihad Stadium

24 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Games are called off far more easily these days for weather conditions, i.e.ice/snow than they were in the past. Not because of the pitch or even necessarily anything to do with the stadium but with the public's safety making their way to the ground in mind.

If it was felt the winds were likely to be strong enough and sustained enough to cause real damage, i.e. for the trees in the park to be in danger of coming down or for tiles on houses on Ashton Road to be ripped off and blown into a street with hundreds of fans on their way to or from the game, it's quite possible they'd err on the side of caution.

As for tomorrow's forecasted gale causing a postponement, very unlikely, but the way things are these days nothing can be entirely ruled out imo.

We are talking about GUSTS of 50mph winds NOT 100mph, blowing about 30mph as a norm tomorrow

We get these conditions regulalry in the winter season in the UK

This thread is getting as bad as the one's where people are convinced the pitch will be waterlogged as heavy rain is forecase :facepalm:

9 minutes ago, pillred said:

I know what you mean, but a hurricane is defined as sustained wind speeds above 85 mph, so to all intents it was a hurricane.

Actually, a Hurricane starts at its weakest category as a Category 1 hurricane when sustained winds reach 74mph. These sustained winds have to be in excess of these speeds for 60 seconds to count according to Miami's NHC and has to form in the tropical Atlantic.

The scale they use is called the "Saffir-Simpson Hurricane Wind Scale" (SSHWS)

• Cat 1: 74-95mph
  • Cat 2: 96-110mph
  • Cat 3: 111-129mph
  • Cat 4: 130-156mph
  • Cat 5: 157+mph.

However in regards to the storm of 1987. It wasnt a hurricane. It wasnt formed in the tropical Atlantic and it was infact what Meteorologists would now call "A Weather Bomb" where the air pressure dropped more than 24mb in 24hrs. Infact, this storm they're calling Storm Brian, is also a "Weather Bomb" and any storm has the potential to give off hurricane force winds without it such actually being called a hurricane. The word "Hurricane" is just a terminology for storms that form in the warm tropical waters near the Equator.

40 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Namby Pamby , Nanny state.

25 minutes ago, phantom said:

@Big C I stand corrected

Wet and windy conditions at Manchester City's Etihad Stadium

We are talking about GUSTS of 50mph winds NOT 100mph, blowing about 30mph as a norm tomorrow

We get these conditions regulalry in the winter season in the UK

This thread is getting as bad as the one's where people are convinced the pitch will be waterlogged as heavy rain is forecase :facepalm:

I said, 'if it was felt..' that's NOT my thinking - but it would be the PC health and safety brigade jobsworths evaluating the situation, and making the decision!

You're right that we've always seen such wind strengths in the Autumn/Winter, but 40 - 50 mph winds sustained over a 10 hour period is what is unusual.

58 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

To be honest I'd be surprised if the game is called off tomorrow as well. I haven't noticed them for a while so it probably isn't but is that work still on going on Nelson Mandela House and its partners? If so that that may be interesting with high winds. 

2 hours ago, CrazyInWeston said:

Actually, a Hurricane starts at its weakest category as a Category 1 hurricane when sustained winds reach 74mph. These sustained winds have to be in excess of these speeds for 60 seconds to count according to Miami's NHC and has to form in the tropical Atlantic.

The scale they use is called the "Saffir-Simpson Hurricane Wind Scale" (SSHWS)

• Cat 1: 74-95mph
  • Cat 2: 96-110mph
  • Cat 3: 111-129mph
  • Cat 4: 130-156mph
  • Cat 5: 157+mph.

However in regards to the storm of 1987. It wasnt a hurricane. It wasnt formed in the tropical Atlantic and it was infact what Meteorologists would now call "A Weather Bomb" where the air pressure dropped more than 24mb in 24hrs. Infact, this storm they're calling Storm Brian, is also a "Weather Bomb" and any storm has the potential to give off hurricane force winds without it such actually being called a hurricane. The word "Hurricane" is just a terminology for storms that form in the warm tropical waters near the Equator.

Or what I'd call - as windy as ****!  ;)

I was living in Southampton when '87 struck and managed to sleep through the whole thing, but awoke to find a large oak had squashed the college bar I worked in.

In 1988, Southampton was hit by a similar storm and this time I was living in a shoddy student house in a suburb called Portswood. All the windows on the windward side of the house were blown out, the fence went down and the chimney pot ended up in a garden opposite us. Still, we were lucky. In Portswood high street a wall collapsed on one poor sod and killed him. :o

2 hours ago, slartibartfast said:

I'd rather it pissed down............hate watching footy in strong winds, ruins the game !

Anyone remember a game v Leyton Orient(?) where it was so windy that their keeper cleared the ball, it barely got to the half way line and then promptly blew back almost to the goal. Bob Taylor jumped with the keeper and headed it in. The keeper went ballistic as he thought it shouldn`t have been allowed for some reason but it stood.

1 minute ago, Red Right Hand said:

Anyone remember a game v Leyton Orient(?) where it was so windy that their keeper cleared the ball, it barely got to the half way line and then promptly blew back almost to the goal. Bob Taylor jumped with the keeper and headed it in. The keeper went ballistic as he thought it shouldn`t have been allowed for some reason but it stood.

I can remember a similar scenario when during a game when it was blowing a hoollie - Wolves I think at AG when Basso tried to take a goal kick into the wind and if just curled up and was heading back to goal when Basso managed to tip it over.

5 hours ago, wendyredredrobin said:

AG can cope with a bit of wind, its been built to withstand anything the British weather can throw at it.  The same can surely not be said of the tents and carports on the other side of town, which I am fully expecting to be ripped apart by a gale.

Not to mention the hundreds of deluxe Homebase Placky garden chairs being whipped up in to a devastating Chairnado :yes:

I wonder sometimes whether we're a bit of a 'fair weather' team which is why we always seem to be better at the start and the end of the season when the weather is better. Gusting winds and lashing rain don't help us play our style of passing football. I think LJ may have worked this one out and will make small adjustments to our tactics as a result, he alluded to this in one of his interviews.

1 hour ago, supercidered said:

Not to mention the hundreds of deluxe Homebase Placky garden chairs being whipped up in to a devastating Chairnado :yes:

They`ll be declaring a major incident at the swamp and calling for supporters to come down and help rectify the damage.

Either that or demand the council pay for the repairs.

23 hours ago, EstoniaTallinnRed said:

I was driving for City Line on that night on the 24/25 route Lockleaze to Whitchurch and a 6 foot high fence panel blew across the road in Lockleaze and just missed the front of the bus, scary!  The next day on the same route most of Lockleaze houses had roof tiles off and loads were broken over the roads.  Never seen anything like that since the Great Storm.  The storm that is due has been named Brian by the Irish and they will get the first impact again, the luck of the Irish eh.

Terrible that was. Over £4.50 worth of damage caused in Lockleaze that night.

2 hours ago, AppyDAZE said:

I think this is bad news for the game on Saturday if we get the predicted 50 mph winds. Borderline unplayable that is. A farce usually.

Its not 50mph winds, its 50mph gusts, massive difference. 

You could get 1 50mph gust in 1 hour that said "gust" lasting only 1 second. Huge contrast to 50mph "sustained" winds. Could everyone be on board here?

Lets not get blown away over this forecast. Gusts of wind is a total different kettle of fish. Winds tomorrow will be 23mph sustained winds which in my opinion is faff all, but the gusts are still forecasted to be up to 53mph. These "gusts" may never happen, or you could get 5 of them in 10 minutes.

31 minutes ago, CrazyInWeston said:

You could get 1 50mph gust in 1 hour that said "gust" lasting only 1 second. Huge contrast to 50mph "sustained" winds. Could everyone be on board here?

Lets not get blown away over this forecast. Gusts of wind is a total different kettle of fish. Winds tomorrow will be 23mph sustained winds which in my opinion is faff all, but the gusts are still forecasted to be up to 53mph. These "gusts" may never happen, or you could get 5 of them in 10 minutes.

Fish yes that rings a bell, something like 'A woman rang in to say there is a Hurricane coming (scoff) Well I can assure you there isn't....''..:whistle:

1 minute ago, 1bristolcity said:

Fish yes that rings a bell, something like 'A woman rang in to say there is a Hurricane coming (scoff) Well I can assure you there isn't......:whistle:

There is an article he was interviewed to admit he made the whole thing up, there was no woman!

"“It's a myth that we didn't know it was coming, that there was a no mention of high winds, that I was the only one that got it wrong, the woman that rang the BBC - there wasn't a woman at all actually - and that it was a hurricane,” he said."

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/michael-fish-great-storm-30th-anniversary-hurricane-ophelia-bbc-weatherman-meteorology-a7998681.html

However as per my earlier post, Mr Fishy Fish is still wrong because it still wasnt a hurricane.

1 hour ago, CrazyInWeston said:

Thanks for your expertise, but i still think it's a big shame that this is the forcast. Because despite what you are saying, i've seen many a a good game on paper totally ruined by the wind. I hope you are right.

PS FFS leave that poor lass' backside ALONE

6 minutes ago, AppyDAZE said:

PS FFS leave that poor lass' backside ALONE

NEVEEERRR! :P

Anyhow, you are quite right really, when I said gusts could be 1 an hour or 5 in 10 minutes, its actually so random you cannot forecast it at all. In forecasting terms, you'll say the maximum that you can see within the forecasting models and the "ensembles" (just dont ask) 

In all reality tomorrows game is going to be no different than a windy spell during any game over the UK's winter period.

Just now, CrazyInWeston said:

NEVEEERRR! :P

Anyhow, you are quite right really, when I said gusts could be 1 an hour of 5 in 10 minutes, its actually so random you cannot forecast it at all. In forecasting terms, you'll say the maximum that you can see within the forecasting models and the "ensembles" (just dont ask) 

In all reality tomorrows game is going to be no different than a windy spell during any game over the UK's winter period.

There can't be any skin left on that poor ass anymore :laugh:

Archived