IGNORED

Mick McCarthy leaves Ipswich early

Redstart

We sit near the front in the Lansdown and I have to say in what was a fairly dour first half McCarthy kept us all well entertained - I have never known a manager yell at his own players quite like he did throughout the whole match and he actually swears more than me which is really saying something. He was yelling at Spence and Ward particularly - and motivational he aint.

The two instances that stuck with us the most were 'Wardy give the ball to Jordan - give him the ball now, Wardy give Spence the ball - Wardy give Jordan the f****g Football NOW!! "  Then when Spence had the free kick outside our box, big build up and then he laced it well over the bar - City fans jeered and then it hit that quiet moment just as McCarthy yelled out "that was F****g shit!!"

On a serious note, thought he looked a bit haggard today - wonder if he'll be the next manager to go in the Championship. Poor game of football - great 3 points for us - Bolton beating Villa makes our defeat at Bolton look a bit more acceptable - and the beat goes on      COYR

2 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

Ipswich will only go one way if they get rid. Working miracles that bloke is. 

He definitely is. They don't have the money. They just dont like seeing little Bristol City, Bournemouth, Brentford and Huddersfield being better than them. Difference is we all have owners who re willing to spend a bit.

Majority of the fanbase still vehemently insist his departure, although some admit under any other name we'd be on a one way ticket to League One.    Rest assured so long as the name remains in place, a return to the Premier League will not occur.

Marcus Evans is the real problem, but the fact of the matter is the manager is responsible for team selection, tactics and motivation and more often than not, is clearly lacking in all areas.     I didn't travel over today but caught some brief highlights (that Channel Five could be bothered to put on) and appears McCarthy again played it cautiously and any subs that could feasibly make a difference were introduced too late in the game to enable to take something from today.

Not making excuses but essentially we're a poor team that has lost it's way the best part of a decade, and this season - as with a great many others  before it - is dissolving into failure and missed opportunity.     More power to Gary Johnson he has provided your team with a good season and maybe yet the best is still to come.    We ourselves require essential changes in the summer if we're to have any chance of regaining previous stature.  

3 minutes ago, Southend Blue said:

Majority of the fanbase still vehemently insist his departure, although some admit under any other name we'd be on a one way ticket to League One.    Rest assured so long as the name remains in place, a return to the Premier League will not occur.

Marcus Evans is the real problem, but the fact of the matter is the manager is responsible for team selection, tactics and motivation and more often than not, is clearly lacking in all areas.     I didn't travel over today but caught some brief highlights (that Channel Five could be bothered to put on) and appears McCarthy again played it cautiously and any subs that could feasibly make a difference were introduced too late in the game to enable to take something from today.

Not making excuses but essentially we're a poor team that has lost it's way the best part of a decade, and this season - as with a great many others  before it - is dissolving into failure and missed opportunity.     More power to Gary Johnson he has provided your team with a good season and maybe yet the best is still to come.    We ourselves require essential changes in the summer if we're to have any chance of regaining previous stature.  

You're about 10 years late mate ;)

7 minutes ago, Southend Blue said:

Aye we're on Johnson V2 now. Lee Johnson - The Johnsening.

Imo you'll continue to epitomise averageness in the Championship until your owner is willing to spend a bit of money.

As unpopular as he is with Ipswich fans in general (& one of his favourite past  colours is green!) He has had an unenviable task in keeping them competitive.

It's easy for a Bruce to spunk millions on ex prem players on one last fat pay out but juggling with no funds he's worked a minor miracle.

They are on a slow decline and I am not so sure their next manager will be able to do as good a job on even less resources judging by the gulf in their fans expectations to dwindling attendances.

3 hours ago, Swede said:

As unpopular as he is with Ipswich fans in general (& one of his favourite past  colours is green!) He has had an unenviable task in keeping them competitive.

It's easy for a Bruce to spunk millions on ex prem players on one last fat pay out but juggling with no funds he's worked a minor miracle.

They are on a slow decline and I am not so sure their next manager will be able to do as good a job on even less resources judging by the gulf in their fans expectations to dwindling attendances.

And I am sure if MM had the sort of money Bruce had, or even LJ has, Ipswich would be right in the mix. He continues to do an absolutely superb job at Ipswich. The day he goes is the day they go backwards before going forwards.

8 hours ago, Southend Blue said:

Your tractor boys could of kept playing for another week and still not scored. They really looked hopeless unorganised and just really didn’t look interested. We should of absolutely battered you today as you were for the taking but this is where we always seem to come stuck. We just struggle to break these type of teams down where there are 9 men behind the ball.

MM had a plan to try and stifle us and pack the midfield and defence. Thought both Ipswich Centre half’s did well so aside from the one piece of class that brought the goal the game as a spectacle was a non event. 3 points is all that matters at this time of the season for us

2 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

They didn’t deserve anything.  If you play with a packed defence like that, you’re always likely to lose 1-0.

Our attempts to break it down in the first half were worse than feeble. The sort of football that makes you wonder whether to pay 20% more for your season ticket.

50 minutes ago, Galley is our king said:

Never liked MM but noticed yesterday that he shouted at one of his own player's to kick the ball out when Maggie was lying on the deck.

Good for him!

Yes I noticed that. I can’t recall seeing an opposing manager do that before, especially not when his team are losing. Fair play to him. 

12 hours ago, Redstart said:

We sit near the front in the Lansdown and I have to say in what was a fairly dour first half McCarthy kept us all well entertained - I have never known a manager yell at his own players quite like he did throughout the whole match and he actually swears more than me which is really saying something. He was yelling at Spence and Ward particularly - and motivational he aint.

The two instances that stuck with us the most were 'Wardy give the ball to Jordan - give him the ball now, Wardy give Spence the ball - Wardy give Jordan the f****g Football NOW!! "  Then when Spence had the free kick outside our box, big build up and then he laced it well over the bar - City fans jeered and then it hit that quiet moment just as McCarthy yelled out "that was F****g shit!!"

On a serious note, thought he looked a bit haggard today - wonder if he'll be the next manager to go in the Championship. Poor game of football - great 3 points for us - Bolton beating Villa makes our defeat at Bolton look a bit more acceptable - and the beat goes on      COYR

Good job a steward didn't hear any of that :whistle:

40 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Really like the guy

Probably , consistently the most honest manager I’ve ever seen in the game

No bull , no buff - open and dead straight

MM is always very fair in his post match interviews and he has achieved miracles to keep Ipswich midtable season after season on a transfer budget that would make most managers in this division want to weep. They will struggle to find another manager who can achieve the same & the owner appears to know it too, hence the fact he is still there after all this time.

Also noticed that he recognised the seriousness of Hörður's injury straightaway & got his players to put the ball out. As for the swearing, I can understand why he feels he has to at some of the players at his disposal. He had the defence and midfield well set up for keeping us playing tiki taka where it didn't matter, but they lacked much creativity, while fortunately for us, Waghorn & Sears up front didn't play that well yesterday. 

35 minutes ago, BITW said:

Can’t be many teams around more boring to support than Ipswich. They seem to finish bang on mid table pretty much every year. No drama at either end of the table. 

Ha, they were flying in europe and the premier league not that long ago,,,  i feel less excited watching the good ship bristol city bouncing around between league 1 and championship than ipswich fans watching their team mixing it up in the premier.

3 minutes ago, simon uk said:

Ha, they were flying in europe and the premier league not that long ago,,,  i feel less excited watching the good ship bristol city bouncing around between league 1 and championship than ipswich fans watching their team mixing it up in the premier.

Not that long ago?! It was 2002 they got relegated to the Championship.

A game dictated by abysmal weather, an anxious team desperate for a win , shorn of arguably 3 first choice defenders and carefully ushering back the long-term absentees versus a team lacking ambition or identity and void of much real attacking intent. Our one bit of quality led to the winning goal and Frankie did make a decent save. Other than that and the 3 hugely welcome points a dismal spectacle! At least Ipswich and Big Mick don't resort to the play acting and time wasting that seem to have blighted games with Cardiff and Preston this season.

Archived