IGNORED

Mick McCarthy leaves Ipswich early

Redstart

2 minutes ago, BoneyardTIM said:

And there it is, the last word......................................:facepalm:

I get it - you quote someone but if they respond back, that's unreasonable and it must be that they're determined to have the last word.

If I'd formed such a low opinion of a poster that you, for some reason, seem to have of me I'd have put the irritating blighter on ignore long ago........

Please go ahead. 

Wow, you won't let it go will you.

Please don't take it so personally when some one sees something differently to you, after 19.000 posts you must expect some people not to tow your party line

but thats fine.

Oh and by the way, I name checked you, I didn't quote you.

3 minutes ago, BoneyardTIM said:

Wow, you won't let it go will you.

Please don't take it so personally when some one sees something differently to you, after 19.000 posts you must expect some people not to tow your party line

but thats fine.

Oh and by the way, I name checked you, I didn't quote you.

:sub:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/43466145

Manager Mick McCarthy will leave Ipswich Town when his contract expires at the end of the season, the Championship club have confirmed.

The ex-Wolves and Sunderland boss, 59, is the longest-serving manager in the division, having arrived in 2012.

He guided the Suffolk club to the play-offs in 2014-15, and the Tractor Boys are now 12th in the second tier.

Earlier this month, McCarthy insisted he would not leave before the summer despite criticism from some fans.

13 minutes ago, Unan said:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/43466145

Manager Mick McCarthy will leave Ipswich Town when his contract expires at the end of the season, the Championship club have confirmed.

The ex-Wolves and Sunderland boss, 59, is the longest-serving manager in the division, having arrived in 2012.

He guided the Suffolk club to the play-offs in 2014-15, and the Tractor Boys are now 12th in the second tier.

Earlier this month, McCarthy insisted he would not leave before the summer despite criticism from some fans.

Has a manager ever just left when his contract expired ? 

This must be a first .

What are the odds on Ipswich getting relegated next season? Might be worth a punt!

I can understand the frustrations for their fans at being midtable and being bored, but there are absolutely no guarantees that anyone coming in will achieve more. The more likely outcome is that they will struggle with minimal investment in players. 

Mate of mine is an Ipswich fan. He’s been adamant they were going nowhere under mad Mick but was equally as adamant that whoever came in, the multi millionaire owner would give no money over so Mick was as good as it got.

This led to asking who he thought would take over - apparently a groundswell for Darrell Clarke for the following:

- Record of doing well at lower level without spending significant cash

- Assisted by Ipswich legend in Stewart

- Used to dealing with millionaire who has no intent on putting money in club

It didn’t seem a fanciful suggestion and possibly worth a tenner...

1 hour ago, glynriley said:

Could have sworn we appointed him on a 4 year contract.

No , it was a one year rolling contract that had many up in arms because they didn't understand the principle.

They were worried that he could leave after a year and didn't realise that wherever he was in his time with us he always had a year left and any other club wanting to hire him would have to pay up his contract and compensate City .

4 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

- Assisted by Ipswich legend in Stewart

With due respect to your mate, I can’t see how Marcus Stewart is an Ipswich legend given their rich history and illustrious past servants. They won the top division, the FA Cup, the UEFA Cup....competed in all three previously recognised premier European competitions....beating Real Madrid, Barcelona, AC Milan, Inter Milan and Lazio on the way....they’ve had managers such as Sir Alf Ramsey and Sir Bobby Robson...does 75 games for Ipswich and 25 premier league goals class him as a legend?!

1 minute ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

With due respect to your mate, I can’t see how Marcus Stewart is an Ipswich legend given their rich history and illustrious past servants. They won the top division, the FA Cup, the UEFA Cup....competed in all three previously recognised premier European competitions....beating Real Madrid, Barcelona, AC Milan, Inter Milan and Lazio on the way....they’ve had managers such as Sir Alf Ramsey and Sir Bobby Robson...does 75 games for Ipswich and 25 premier league goals class him as a legend?!

Get your point - and don't disagree inherently but just to context my mate is mid 30s so wouldn't have been alive in the Robson days. If you look at his lifetime, the best Ipswich side was the one with Stewart up top, so its easy to see how he's held in such affection by the under 40's down there.

And for Marcus Stewart there, read Jacki here. Could equally apply to him and not call him a bcfc legend when compared to Gow, Atyeo, Merrick etc but he's held in great regard by a large proportion of our fanbase.

Point here is that for a fanbase of a certain age, Stewart would 'galvanise' Ipswich, and when you add that to a (as much as we hate it) successful lower division manager who can work with the clubs constraints, I can see why its a reasonable shout.

6 hours ago, glynriley said:

Could have sworn we appointed him on a 4 year contract.

Searching my memory here but whilst the Major is right in that he was on a one year rolling contract I think he was changed to that from his previously signed contract which was an initial fixed term.

I don't remember the length of the initial contract so it may have been four years.

So you may both be right.

I do remember an incredibly weak joke at the time he moved to his rolling contract playing on rolling = rolling joints; which is why it stuck in my memory.

8 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Get your point - and don't disagree inherently but just to context my mate is mid 30s so wouldn't have been alive in the Robson days. If you look at his lifetime, the best Ipswich side was the one with Stewart up top, so its easy to see how he's held in such affection by the under 40's down there.

And for Marcus Stewart there, read Jacki here. Could equally apply to him and not call him a bcfc legend when compared to Gow, Atyeo, Merrick etc but he's held in great regard by a large proportion of our fanbase.

Point here is that for a fanbase of a certain age, Stewart would 'galvanise' Ipswich, and when you add that to a (as much as we hate it) successful lower division manager who can work with the clubs constraints, I can see why its a reasonable shout.

Great point about Jacki mate....not sure he’s a City legend but I absolutely loved him...

47 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

The Gas won't let it lie .

3 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Like Silvio I know an Ipswich fan or two and Marcus Stewart is held in very high regard. Ipswich have a south west supporters club and last year Marcus was a guest of honour and came along to sign photos / have pics taken etc. He'd be welcomed back to Ipswich with open arms.

4 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

Don't forget he also got relegated out of the football league as well. That will always be on his CV.

43 minutes ago, Swede said:

Don't forget he also got relegated out of the football league as well. That will always be on his CV.

When..?!

I stopped paying attention after they won at Wycombe, because their fans were all on the pitch celebrating survival. 

They only needed to not lose at home to mid-table Mansfield. I doubt they’d have even took it seriously enough to bother packing their kit..! 

Archived