IGNORED

LJ to West Brom?

Jacki

15 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

.....and even though you posted a huge, largely blank spreadsheet you aren’t correct, I was talking about Mick’s transfer budget at Ipswich...he only spent £5.5m on transfers in the last SIX years, despite bringing in nearly £19m by selling players in the same period...so I maintain, his transfer budget was far tighter than a Bristol City manager would have had over the same period....

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2018/apr/13/mick-mcarthy-forced-out-ipswich-fans

You said budgetary constraints....not transfer budgets....you;be been out-pedanted!:P

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

You’ll still be wrong.....our budget last season was our highest in recent years (by quite a bit)....Kids point is better!

You seriously think that Bristol City managers over the last six years have been given LESS than £6m to spend over a SIX year period?! Mick McCarthy was permitted to spend £5.5m in total from 2012 to 2018....and you think City had less than that over the same SIX year period?! Oh dear....

4 hours ago, Robbored said:

That's good to read. 

I seriously doubt LJ would accept the job it it were offered. He has a long term ambition at City that'll he'll undoubtedly want to see through.

I can’t see Lee wanting to walk out on us, or SL wanting him to either. SL has said we aren’t going to keep sacking managers so the only way Lee will go is if he resigns or gets another job. Lee will want to stick with SL to show him loyalty and thanks for backing him so publicly, even alienating fans to do so.

That said, lots of rumours about us losing several players next season as we aren’t matching their ambitions. What about SL encouraging Lee to go ( to a bigger club, so a step up the career ladder) and then we bring in a really experienced manger, say Mick as he has been mentioned. Will the players then stay with us if they think the experienced man can help their careers? In short, move one man or lose 4 or 5 players.

Just playing the Devil’s Advocate here. 

2 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

You seriously think that Bristol City managers over the last six years have been given LESS than £6m to spend over a SIX year period?! Mick McCarthy was permitted to spend £5.5m in total from 2012 to 2018....and you think City had less than that over the same SIX year period?! Oh dear....

But you said budget, not transfer budget in your original post.  You can’t move the goalposts.

Just now, BS4 on Tour... said:

Whenever budgetary constraints are mentioned with regard to a football manager it’s pretty obvious that transfer budgets are being discussed....put the sherry down!

Ok, really......put the Malbec down.

So John Terry cost Villa £0 of their budget. :grr:

Could Johnson’s reputation be any higher to a rival club?

This season he’s taken us to a major cup semi final, beating several premier league sides on the way. We’ve run Man City close over two games, and received plaudits for the way we’ve played this season.

He’s taken a supposedly small championship club from regulation candidates to potential play offs. He’s appears well liked in the media , and highly thought of.

Whilst we would question these bad runs he takes us on, and our fall in form since January, to outside clubs I can see why they would consider him.

As others have said he wouldn’t be able to have the loss of form that seems to be a season trait for his teams, and would be expected to achieve promotion in his first season 

1 minute ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

What do you think ‘budget’ means when discussing a football manager?! How much he has to spend on ginger biscuits?!

Wages, transfer fees, loan fees, agent fees, bonuses, etc.

I’m guessing you just count transfer fees?

Sheepshanks or whoever - So Mick, your budget is £17.9m

Mick - so I can bring 5 or 6 £3m players?

DS - No Mick, unless you pay them £0 wages

Mick - oh.

DS - that £17.9m is what you can spend on your whole playing staff.  How you want to divvy it up, is up to you.  We will of course be able to spread the transfer fee and wages across the term of the contract, if you want to bring in Garner for £1m over 2 years on £20k pw, that’ll be £500k of his Fee this year and a £1m for his wages.  You’ve now got £16.4m, Assuming he has no bonus scheme.  If you sell a player, we will amortise his contract (what’s left of it) and you can have any profit added to your BUDGET.

Mick - I’m off to Bristol City....

5 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Transfer budgets do include wages when a free transfer is involved....

So have you added all Mick’s free transfers into your £5.5m spent (not your data source....lazy journalism in the first place).

9 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Ok, really......put the Malbec down.

So John Terry cost Villa £0 of their budget. :grr:

Anyway, all I was saying was Mick McCarthy spent £5.5m on transfers from 2012-2018 whereas Bristol City managers were able to spend a lot more over the same period....not sure why you replied multiple times with a spreadsheet, turnover figures, Villa transfers and banging your head against a wall??!! .....it is as clear as day that Bristol City’s transfer budget over the last six years has been in excess of the £5.5m Mick was given.....that’s all I was saying!

9 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Anyway, all I was saying was Mick McCarthy spent £5.5m on transfers from 2012-2018 whereas Bristol City managers were able to spend a lot more over the same period....not sure why you replied multiple times with a spreadsheet, turnover figures, Villa transfers and banging your head against a wall??!! .....it is as clear as day that Bristol City’s transfer budget over the last six years has been in excess of the £5.5m Mick was given.....that’s all I was saying!

Because you’re looking at it too simplistically, and football doesn’t work like that.  It’s an unfair comparison imho.  You could say he’s only brought in £18m in that time, whereas City have brought in more, justifying their bigger outlay.

If you want to compare pure transfer fees (excluding loan fees, signing on fees, agent fees), that’s fine, but it paints a fraction of the whole picture.  And you started off with budgetary constraints....not transfer budgets. That’s all I was saying. :P

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

Because you’re looking at it too simplistically, and football doesn’t work like that.  It’s an unfair comparison imho.  You could say he’s only brought in £18m in that time, whereas City have brought in more, justifying their bigger outlay.

If you want to compare pure transfer fees (excluding loan fees, signing on fees, agent fees), that’s fine, but it paints a fraction of the whole picture.  And you started off with budgetary constraints....not transfer budgets. That’s all I was saying. :P

I thought I was the pedantic one?! Mick McCarthy has done an amazing job at Ipswich under harsh budgetary constraints that haven’t applied to Bristol City managers over the same period....he’s spent £5.5m on transfers in six years, we spent almost that amount on Fammy this season.....that says it all....Mick performs miracles despite having hardly any money to spend on transfers...he’s a wily, wise, experienced, proven manager...I’d love to have him here...but he will probably be the West Brom manager next season...

1 minute ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

I thought I was the pedantic one?! Mick McCarthy has done an amazing job at Ipswich under harsh budgetary constraints that haven’t applied to Bristol City managers over the same period....he’s spent £5.5m on transfers in six years, we spent almost that amount on Fammy this season.....that says it all....Mick performs miracles despite having hardly any money to spend on transfers...he’s a wily, wise, experienced, proven manager...I’d love to have him here...but he will probably be the West Brom manager next season...

I’ve learned from the best, oh master!

He’s a top manager, and I like him as a bloke....principled.

5 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I’ve learned from the best, oh master!

He’s a top manager, and I like him as a bloke....principled.

At last, we agree! Mick seems a top geezer, I don’t know him at all, but I bet he rolls his sleeves up and gets stuck in on the training ground. Like that infamous scene in ‘Kes’!! He obviously doesn’t suffer fools...he demands alot and gets alot from his players, I like him....when his generation of managers disappear from the game it will be a poorer place and those gnarly, successful, principled, experienced geezers will be replaced by guys like LJ who measure the grass length at away games...

27 minutes ago, xerox6060 said:

This is garbage, City are Lee's dream job and there's plenty for him to do yet, wba are a good club but not really a higher move in my opinion, a similar type young manager like Mciness or Appleton is far more likely. 

You can’t be serious? 

Archived