IGNORED

LJ to West Brom?

Jacki

7 minutes ago, robin_unreliant said:

such as? Haven't seen any mentioned recently so genuinely interested. Not that it is likely to happen.....

The likes of Pardew were mentioned on a thread a while back. 

Sometimes it’s a case of better the devil you know imo. LJ is far from perfect but I struggle to see who we’d attract, with the budgetary constraints and the sustainable way SL wants things done these days, who would be significantly better. 

:sleeping:

34 minutes ago, Carey 6 said:

Not one bit, I'm not in the Johnson out camp (Not sure many are) but I wouldn't care if he did go. I quite enjoy the excitement/expectations that come when getting a new manager. 

Except SL would most probably announce Dean Holden as head coach with Jamie Mac as his assistant.

6 minutes ago, Jacki said:

The likes of Pardew were mentioned on a thread a while back. 

Sometimes it’s a case of better the devil you know imo. LJ is far from perfect but I struggle to see who we’d attract, with the budgetary constraints and the sustainable way SL wants things done these days, who would be significantly better. 

Mike McCarthy did an amazing job at Ipswich and he was under much harsher budgetary constraints than a Bristol City manager would be....

5 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Mike McCarthy did an amazing job at Ipswich and he was under much harsher budgetary constraints than a Bristol City manager would be....

I’m pretty certain McCarthy would call a spade a shovel too much for SL to consider him. 

If LJ went I reckon we’d end up with someone like Tisdale, Appleton or even Holden. None of them would be better shouts than LJ for me. 

43 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

This should also be the first time since 2007/08 that we have finished a season in the second tier with +GD.

Pretty sure that we only scraped into positive figures that season courtesy of a big win on the last day too. 

7 minutes ago, nickolas said:

No, Smith! :facepalm:

Yes, I’ve just told you Brentford’s transfer spend in the last 3 seasons (almost the same timeframe as he’s been at Brentford)

:facepalm: indeed....

Brentford don’t operate on the shoestring budget people like to belive they do (what they do very well is add value to players and thus make transfer profit but that’s by the by and not the point at hand)

Just now, ZiderEyed said:

Realistic though?

Backwards/sideways step.

Probably the most realistic ‘good’ option. Done wanders at Brentford, their net spend is similar to ours but one team is self sufficient and the other is bank rolled by a local billionaire.

Just now, Unan said:

Probably the most realistic ‘good’ option. Done wanders at Brentford, their net spend is similar to ours but one team is self sufficient and the other is bank rolled by a local billionaire.

Is that actually down to DS though (genuine question as I have no idea) most of their windfall has been Gray and Hogan - not sure who brought them in/identified them. 

Just now, BRISTOL86 said:

Is that actually down to DS though (genuine question as I have no idea) most of their windfall has been Gray and Hogan - not sure who brought them in/identified them. 

Pretty sure he brought in his own team when going there, could be wrong.

The most depressing thing is we have nearly four months of this sort of shite to endure from The Post.

Wait until we’re back to “you’ll never guess what (insert name of random City player) said on social media during his holiday”...

Not a chance LJ will get this job or him even being in the running to do so.

Very, very, very, very, very, small  chance but a chance none the less; more than likely no-one with a mind of their own will replace him if he did go, anyway.

1 hour ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Fair comment.

I don't dislike LJ at all, in many ways he is a good public figurehead for City.

I don't see him being successful here with his inbuilt inconsistencies, and I do think it would be healthier to have a coach/manager who is not a friend of the board. Sometimes a board needs to be challenged by a manager and they should be able to talk through differences for the benefit of the club without seeing it as any sort of confrontation.

We know any replacement would need to be someone SL ( and looking forward JL) could get on with personally, and would have to agree to the club's stated policies going forward, but surely such candidates are out there without having to be personal friends beforehand?

LJ being poached might be a great solution imo., it would save SL having to ever make the decision to dismiss a family friend, and I wouldn't see LJ going as any sort of setback at all if replaced well.

If a respected, experienced manager like McCarthy, for instance, was announced,  I think we'd be much more likely to make a genuine, consistent challenge next season.

That is not going to happen. JL made that clear when sacking SOD and SL is absolutely certain that the plan has to work, so that rules out a lot of good candidates.

Happy for LJ to better his career, or stay and prove those who doubt his tactical skills / man management.

2 hours ago, cityloyal473 said:

Fingers crossed this is true. I'll rent him a helicopter to get there if it will help seal the deal. 

And replace with who exactly?

1 hour ago, Major Isewater said:

:sleeping:

Except SL would most probably announce Dean Holden as head coach with Jamie Mac as his assistant.

That would not be a good outcome in my opinion.

19 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Not a chance LJ will get this job or him even being in the running to do so.

That's good to read. 

I seriously doubt LJ would accept the job it it were offered. He has a long term ambition at City that'll he'll undoubtedly want to see through.

34 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Yes, I’ve just told you Brentford’s transfer spend in the last 3 seasons (almost the same timeframe as he’s been at Brentford)

:facepalm: indeed....

Brentford don’t operate on the shoestring budget people like to belive they do (what they do very well is add value to players and thus make transfer profit but that’s by the by and not the point at hand)

So Dean Smith has spent the near £20m that LJ has spent? Never! I cant see that. Really?

2 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Fair comment.

I don't dislike LJ at all, in many ways he is a good public figurehead for City.

I don't see him being successful here with his inbuilt inconsistencies, and I do think it would be healthier to have a coach/manager who is not a friend of the board. Sometimes a board needs to be challenged by a manager and they should be able to talk through differences for the benefit of the club without seeing it as any sort of confrontation.

We know any replacement would need to be someone SL ( and looking forward JL) could get on with personally, and would have to agree to the club's stated policies going forward, but surely such candidates are out there without having to be personal friends beforehand?

LJ being poached might be a great solution imo., it would save SL having to ever make the decision to dismiss a family friend, and I wouldn't see LJ going as any sort of setback at all if replaced well.

If a respected, experienced manager like McCarthy, for instance, was announced,  I think we'd be much more likely to make a genuine, consistent challenge next season.

I think we all know that's very unlikely to happen mate.

Can you imagine Mark Ashton telling MM he had a striker from France lined up.

MA - "He hasn't scored all season though, and he's a bit down in the dumps"

MM - "Tha can go fuck thee sen"

Door slams.........

Archived